HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Source says Panthers will take Huberdeau if Nugent Hopkins is gone

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Anod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
Anyone seen the Stanley Cup Finals ?

And you still want your Huberdeau or RNH...

Give me size and physicality ! Flyers and Bruins are going to be hard to beat for the next 10 years !!!
I know a lot of poeple from Saint John, and the word is that Huberdeau IS a physical player. He needs to fill in his frame a bit, but I have heard that he is a gritty player. I don't think he is a big hitter but he will grind in the corners and stick up for himself and teammates. From what I saw in the few games, I saw a player with extremely sharp vision with the puck, great passing ability and great stickhandling. And he made his linemates better.

I will be very happy if Huberdeau is selected.

Old
06-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Panthers607
HFBoards Sponsor

You need a new avatar buddy. Head over to the Avatar thread, they got some great stuff.

Old
06-15-2011, 11:40 PM
Anod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA View Post
You need a new avatar buddy. Head over to the Avatar thread, they got some great stuff.
Nahhh, think I'll wait until they select Huberdeau. Not really sure what I would change it too yet.

Old
06-16-2011, 12:11 AM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anod View Post
I know a lot of poeple from Saint John, and the word is that Huberdeau IS a physical player. He needs to fill in his frame a bit, but I have heard that he is a gritty player. I don't think he is a big hitter but he will grind in the corners and stick up for himself and teammates. From what I saw in the few games, I saw a player with extremely sharp vision with the puck, great passing ability and great stickhandling. And he made his linemates better.

I will be very happy if Huberdeau is selected.
Thanks for the info from up in the great white north! Any contributors to the Panthers boards are always welcome.

I see you are from TO. Do you follow St. Johns from back when they were the leafs farm team?

Last edited by JP Mick: 06-16-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old
06-16-2011, 01:53 AM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Thought you guys might enjoy this, from Gene Principe (he's an Oilers employee):

Quote:
GenePrincipe Gene Principe
Dale Tallon to RN Hopkins at combine. If you're not picked in first two choices just meet me on the stage. Don't wait for name to be called.
Tallon is a RNH fan (obviously).

06-16-2011, 01:55 AM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Pound for pound, huberdeau is grittier than couturier. The question is how many pounds is huberdeau going to put on. Couturier is already 6-4 and is going to be at least 215-220 lbs when he's filled out. He's going to be very big and physical, there's no doubt of that. Huber is 171 lbs right now and struggled to add weight this year. He could become really big, or he could struggle to reach 190 lbs. Or it could be somewhere in between. I still think he'll be alright in the nhl though and wont get pushed around because of his grit and agility on his skates. I agree with the guy who said Huber will be a decent nhl player. He wont completely bust, he's too good for that.

I don't think we should pick the safest player. I think we should pick the best player, whoever they think that is. We should be hoping for a star player here, not just a player. No we can't afford a bust, but we don't have a future sc champion already assembled either.

I don't agree with raining rats assessment of bjugstad, but its a subjective topic and he's entitled to his opinion. Its not outrageous to think shore could end up better than bjugstad, although my two cents is that while shore has a higher pure skill level, bjugstad is a more effective all around player at the ncaa level and is better suited to the pro game. Well have a better idea of how the two stack up against eachother next season.

Old
06-16-2011, 02:32 AM
CaptainScrewy

I don't post a lot here, I am a major lurker, but I do think I read and know as much about the Panthers draft as just about anybody. I can tell you anything on these players at this point, and after researching them for the past year or so....I think Huberdeau is our guy and I am firmly on his bandwagon.

I love Landeskog, and I think he'd fit in nicely, but we need that high end offensive forward. Huberdeau is 6-7 months younger than all the others guy at the top of this draft, and the least physically developed, which I personally think helps his stock. Think of it this way - Huberdeau is putting up amazing numbers in the regular season and playoffs, and his frame is nowhere near complete. He doesn't have the muscle and strength of a guy like Landeskog. Get him an NHL strength and conditioning program full time, let him catch up body wise and age wise, and he can be even better.

I look at as he is putting up these phenomenal numbers despite having a frail body and being half a year younger then everyone else. if I am picking on just pure talent, pure offensive talent...I want RNH then Huberdeau. The other guys bring other things yes, but we need an infusion of elite offensive talent, which is the hardest and most expensive thing to find.

Old
06-16-2011, 04:20 AM
jakethesnake23

Cant believe that no one has brought this up but there is a direct precendent trading from the 3rd overall to the the 1st overall and it involved the Panthers. We traded the no.1 (Pens took MAF) in exchange for the 3 (J-Bo), Mikael Samuelsson and a 3rd rounder IIRC.

Correct me if im wrong, Bjugstad >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mikael Samuelsson = 3rd rounder.

Therefore, the aformentioned proposal involving Bjugstad is completely out-of-whack and would never happen.

As for drafting Huberdeu, I could accept it, but im still gunning for SC

Old
06-16-2011, 04:42 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
We're not moving up. Edmonton isn't giving up the #1 spot for anything short of an overpayment. Although I would do Bjugstad,Ellerby, Repik, rights to Bergfors, and second round pick and the #3 overall for the #1.
jesus christ. good thing you're not our GM.

Old
06-16-2011, 05:22 AM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Thanks for the info from up in the great white north! Any contributors to the Panthers boards are always welcome.

I see you are from TO. Do you follow St. Johns from back when they were the leafs farm team?
He's been with us for awhile now.

Old
06-16-2011, 05:34 AM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Watching him at the WJC he looked to be very reliant on his size but lacked high end skill. His shot wasn't impressive, his puck handling was decent but not noteworthy, he skates well for his size but he doesn't look like he has high end talent. Howden and Shore both looked better and I believe are both more skilled. Shore is a much better puck handler, has a better shot, and overall a more skilled player. Howden is a superior skater, very good shot, but is a winger so the comparison doesn't matter as much but I'd trade Bjugstad every day of the week before I traded Shore or Howden.

And I'll disagree. I've seen every WJC Canada/noteworthy game in the past 15 years or so. While Howden was impressive especially with his speed, his lack of finish/finishing plays hard to the net concerned me a bit especially playing with top end talent like Canada always has in that tourney. He still was solid though....don't get me wrong.

On the other hand, Bjugstad looked all world to me at times. His puck possession was like no other at points in the tournament. How he shielded two or three players at once off the puck in his offensive space was something to see. You can't always judge a player by the stat-sheet especially in a short intense tournament such as that one. He looks like a major minute eater to me who can play both the PP and eventually the PK one day. He scored a GWG (not the best of shots,but found the open ice which is something into itself). A great cycle game too,very very similar to how Getzlaf dominates below the circles in the offensive zone. But what do I know, my bro is a Ducks fan/we've seen him play a bunch with the Ducks, and he also played his junior hockey here with the Hitmen. I'm not saying he'll put up 80-90 pts. like Getzlaf...but the potential is there for that in my opinion.

Old
06-16-2011, 05:42 AM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Agreed. No way we trade Bjugstadt either though! I would trade weiss or booth at this point before trading Bjugstadt! And that's saying alot because you all know I want both of those players to retire as Panthers!
Great point...my feelings exactly on all accounts above.

Old
06-16-2011, 07:17 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
We're not moving up. Edmonton isn't giving up the #1 spot for anything short of an overpayment. Although I would do Bjugstad,Ellerby, Repik, rights to Bergfors, and second round pick and the #3 overall for the #1.
You clearly forgot the , didnt you? No way would I give up that for the #1 pick.

Old
06-16-2011, 07:54 AM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
Anyone seen the Stanley Cup Finals ?

And you still want your Huberdeau or RNH...

Give me size and physicality ! Flyers and Bruins are going to be hard to beat for the next 10 years !!!
This. The Sedin twins and all their skill disappeared in the finals while we saw the strong, physical play by Boston win them the Cup.

Old
06-16-2011, 08:10 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:

Wrong city

St. John`s, NFLD was the Leafs AHL city (rejoining the AHL this year).

Saint John, NB was the Flames AHL city (hence the Stillman avatar).

IMO, you can`t go wrong no matter how you pick. A strong case could be made for any of RNH, Lando, Larsson, and Huberdeau. IMO, Couturier has fallen for a reason. As I mentioned in the other thread, his stats need to be taken with a grain of salt (I wasn`t trying to pump Huberdeau up as much as point out that there is a reason why Couturier`s upside is questioned).

Old
06-16-2011, 08:33 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
I'm a little surprised to see the Couturier>Huburdeau reaction in this thread.

Huburdeau is the better offensive talent. He's quicker, more dynamic with more grit and he's a big game guy. If the Oilers don't pick RNH, I'd want it to be Huburdeau.

Too much 2nd line possibility in my mind from Couturier.

Old
06-16-2011, 08:43 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake23 View Post
Cant believe that no one has brought this up but there is a direct precendent trading from the 3rd overall to the the 1st overall and it involved the Panthers. We traded the no.1 (Pens took MAF) in exchange for the 3 (J-Bo), Mikael Samuelsson and a 3rd rounder IIRC.

Correct me if im wrong, Bjugstad >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mikael Samuelsson = 3rd rounder.

Therefore, the aformentioned proposal involving Bjugstad is completely out-of-whack and would never happen.

As for drafting Huberdeu, I could accept it, but im still gunning for SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
jesus christ. good thing you're not our GM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
You clearly forgot the , didnt you? No way would I give up that for the #1 pick.
Because the Pens got their player. Edmonton would have to give up the player they want. Apples and Oranges.

Great response flapantherfan and pb, i clearly explained why this trade isn't as bad as you guys make it out to be but you must have ignored that.

You guys have way too much faith in these players developing into what people hope they can be. They're more likely to fail than succeed. Look at the drafts from 2001-present and you'll see how hard it is to become an NHL impact player. RNH has a small chance of failure with enormous upside. Bjugstad will more likely than not never be a first line center. Not to mention he's probably two years away from the NHL.

Do searches for our top picks over the last decade and see the fan hype/ridiculous expectations. History is repeating itself. Horton, Weiss, Olesz, Frolik, Bouwmeester, Loungo, etc. And it's not a Panther thing. It's really really tough to make it in the NHL. So why not upgrade with spare parts, Bjugstad, and our #3 for the guy who has a very good chance to be a dynamic offensive talent. There's a reason why Tallon already said he'd pick RNH if he was available at 3, which he wont be.

You have to give to get, especially taking the BPA. And although Larsson is arguably the BPA, if you look at the past ten years, the teams who draft forwards over d-man do better.

Bergfors will probably not be resigned, Repik is going probably going to be traded at the draft and if he's not will be in the same situation as Grabner. Ellerby is a coin toss about being an NHL regular. Some potential there for sure but losing him isn't that big of a deal. He's completely replaceable.

Old
06-16-2011, 10:08 AM
jakethesnake23

Quote:
Because the Pens got their player. Edmonton would have to give up the player they want. Apples and Oranges.

Great response flapantherfan and pb, i clearly explained why this trade isn't as bad as you guys make it out to be but you must have ignored that.

You guys have way too much faith in these players developing into what people hope they can be. They're more likely to fail than succeed. Look at the drafts from 2001-present and you'll see how hard it is to become an NHL impact player. RNH has a small chance of failure with enormous upside. Bjugstad will more likely than not never be a first line center. Not to mention he's probably two years away from the NHL.

Do searches for our top picks over the last decade and see the fan hype/ridiculous expectations. History is repeating itself. Horton, Weiss, Olesz, Frolik, Bouwmeester, Loungo, etc. And it's not a Panther thing. It's really really tough to make it in the NHL. So why not upgrade with spare parts, Bjugstad, and our #3 for the guy who has a very good chance to be a dynamic offensive talent. There's a reason why Tallon already said he'd pick RNH if he was available at 3, which he wont be.

You have to give to get, especially taking the BPA. And although Larsson is arguably the BPA, if you look at the past ten years, the teams who draft forwards over d-man do better.

Bergfors will probably not be resigned, Repik is going probably going to be traded at the draft and if he's not will be in the same situation as Grabner. Ellerby is a coin toss about being an NHL regular. Some potential there for sure but losing him isn't that big of a deal. He's completely replaceable.
I don't see how the Penguins and Edmonton comparison are completely differernt - i.e apples and oranges. Yes the Penguins got their player, the same way the Panthers would be trading up to get their player. Edmonton would be giving up the player they want, and the Panthers were potentially giving up they player they wanted. So I think the situations were pretty similar and the price to move up 3 places wasnt that steep. Maybe the price would be higher today, but not to the extent that you are offerring.

Im as big of a proponent of winning now and slowing down the love fest with the prospects as anyone. ANYONE. But i really think you are selling Bjugstad short. I agree with you that many prospects dont turn out as planned, and the Panthers have a bad record with their prospects. But this kid will be an absolute gun. His year as a Freshman was outstanding, and playing in the WJC as a 17/18 year old - when typically the players are 19 or 20 is another indication that hes the real deal. He has HUGE value and would not be looking to move him.

As for repik and ellerby, by all means, get rid of them, they arent what we expected them to be. I would include both of them in a deal to move up. But Bjugstad is too good to move up 2 spots.

Bjugstad + SC/Hub/Gabe >>> RNH every day of the week IMO

And dont forget your comment that prospects dont always pan out ALSO applies to RNH

Old
06-16-2011, 10:09 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:

Not if they like more than one prospect. Maybe they like RNH the most, but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't be happy with one of the other for something extra. Who says the won't get the player they want at 3rd? You don't know if RNH is their guy (even though it seems likely), but it might be all an act to raise the price.

You are seriously not reading my post. Even if 14 out of 15 scouts have RNH a #1 doesn't mean his miles a head for the second best prospect. I think Oilers will take RNH, and they will draft for need.

And what if RNH bust, and Bjugstad becomes the next Getzlaf.. and you also given up a ton of more assets (3rd overall, Repik, Ellerby etc.).. you'd look like the worst GM in the NHL history (by far). I don't understand why you don't get that there isn't a big difference drafting 1st or 3rd, because there isn't. It isn't worth it, because Huberdeau could become just as good or better than RNH.

I agree that Bergfors and Repik likely won't get NHL jobs for us next year, but Ellerby and Bjugstad are two very valuable assets I wouldn't give up for two more spots. And even if Bergfors and Repik won't play for us they still hold some value. Bjugstad has crazy upsides.

I would try to trade for the 1st overall, but I wouldn't give up the world for it (like you). I wouldn't even offer Bjugstad and the 3rd overall. Oilers would easily take it because that would help them with two needs (possibly 1st line center for the future, and #1 or #2 defenseman in Larsson).

Like someone else said: Thank God, you aren't our GM. Because you are willing to trade a lot of our future for RNH, when you could get as good of a player at 3rd overall. Get that there isn't a big difference drafting 1st or 3rd!

Last edited by AwesomePanthers: 06-16-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old
06-16-2011, 10:18 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake23 View Post
Bjugstad + SC/Hub/Gabe >>> RNH every day of the week IMO

And dont forget your comment that prospects dont always pan out ALSO applies to RNH
This!

Old
06-16-2011, 10:50 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Will we see a Panthers kinda move moving down from 3rd to 5th to pickup an extra 4 round pick?

Old
06-16-2011, 10:58 AM
PanthersAllDay1225
MORDE-KULI

i could swear i read something mid-season, that when Tallon and the scouting staff went out junior scouting, they were really impressed by Hubs. i don't doubt that they've had their sights set on this kid for a while now

Old
Panthers607
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Will we see a Panthers kinda move moving down from 3rd to 5th to pickup an extra 4 round pick?
I'm sure some BS like that will happen. And it would SUCK.

Old
PEILeafsFan

I am from eastern Canada and have seen Huberdeau play on several occasions. There is no concern from me about his physicality, he's not going to be running people over but he will get in the corners and do what he has to do. I think he will be the BPA when the time comes for the Panthers to pick.

Old
06-16-2011, 02:23 PM
Anod

Quote:

No problem, I mostly lurk on these boards but I have been a diehard panthers fan since 1993 (13 years old) Before that I was a Canadiens fan. Grew up in Saint John New Brunswick (different from St. John's, Newfoundland, former Maple Leafs Farm team). Currently live in Toronto, but I still hate the leafs. Saint John Sea Dogs used to be the Saint John Flames when I was younger, hence the Cory stillman avatar. I used to watch him regularly rip up the AHL.

Closed Thread