HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Best playoff goaltending performence of all-time?

Old
06-15-2011, 11:51 PM
markrander87

vCash: 500
Best playoff goaltending performence of all-time?

Where would you rank Thomas recent playoff performence all-time? For those who saw Parent in the 74-75 playoffs would they rank higher?

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:25 AM
seventieslord

At least in the finals this year, I found myself thinking that Thomas was in a zone unlike any I had even seen Roy or Hasek in. And those two are far and away the best goalies I've seen.

They've obviously got a lot more beef to their resumes, but it's arguable he just performed better than they ever did.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:26 AM
Moses Doughty
Long term bandwagons

One of the best ever. Top 5 at worst.

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:27 AM
Big Phil

I think Parent's might rank higher, but it is very close. Thomas had some low-card games against Tampa, but that's where it ends. For his fallings in that series he ended it pretty well with a 1-0 shutout. The rest of the series' he was dynamite and utterly Hasek-like.

If you were doing a top 10 list for goalies you would put Thomas' 2011 playoffs on it for sure. But I think there is a good argument of it being top 5.

Honestly, who is there?

Sawchuk 1952
Dryden 1971
Parent 1974-'75
Roy 1986, 1993

Would there be any other year that is ahead of Thomas for sure? In my mind not Giguere because he did fail to win. But you could have it look like this (rough copy, nothing written in stone)

Parent 1974
Roy 1993
Dryden 1971
Thomas 2011
Sawchuk 1952
Parent 1975

Is that accurate? I think it's pretty close to the best ones ever. Thomas is among the best playoff runs for sure.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:41 AM
WingsFan95

In my viewing experience as short as it is from 95 playoffs onward I'd say:

Giguere (03)
Hasek (99)
Beezer (96)
Brodeur (03)
Thomas (11)
Khabibulin (04)
Kipper (04)

Hasek in 02 and Osgood in 08 would be on my short list as well but I'm sure people will say Red Wings elevated their stats.

Based on offensive output in front and defense I'd say Thomas is still behind the likes of Giguere and Beezer. I'd also say for what it's worth Kipper against my Wings, and I watched every painful minute of it shutout my Wings for 2+ games to have his team win 1-0 and move on. He was a God.

WingsFan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:53 AM
Canadiens1958

Consider

From the O6 era Lumley in 1950, Plante in 1960, Hall in 1961.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:29 AM
seekritdude

*baised irbe fan* Wait Hasek in 02, but no love for Irbe!!!!!! Sniffle, I still say he should have won the conn smythe that year going by the argument its suppose to go to the player most valuable to their team. And Irbe was more valuable to Carolina then anyone from Detroit was to their team I think shrug....

seekritdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:59 AM
silkyjohnson50

This run by Thomas definitely joins the ranks, that's for sure.

Given the eyeball test however, I still think that Giguere in 03 - depsite not winning the Cup - was more impressive.

But this performance was easily the greatest since Giguere. He did look Hasek-like at times.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:13 AM
Embryo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekritdude View Post
*baised irbe fan* Wait Hasek in 02, but no love for Irbe!!!!!! Sniffle, I still say he should have won the conn smythe that year going by the argument its suppose to go to the player most valuable to their team. And Irbe was more valuable to Carolina then anyone from Detroit was to their team I think shrug....
I agree somewhat, Irbe was awesome that year.

And you guys are forgetting Mike Richter in 1994.

Also Khabilbuhlin or however the **** you spell his name in 2004.

Embryo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:16 AM
Embryo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99wasnotthebest View Post

Giguere (03)
Hasek (99)
Beezer (96)
Brodeur (03)
Thomas (11)
Khabibulin (04)
Kipper (04)

Hasek in 02 and Osgood in 08 would be on my short list as well but I'm sure people will say Red Wings elevated their stats.

Based on offensive output in front and defense I'd say Thomas is still behind the likes of Giguere and Beezer. I'd also say for what it's worth Kipper against my Wings, and I watched every painful minute of it shutout my Wings for 2+ games to have his team win 1-0 and move on. He was a God.
I agree, Beezer was really the only reason Florida got to the Finals and he was still amazing in that Finals, the Avs were just so much better.

Embryo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 03:49 AM
Reds4Life

Thomas was pretty bad in the first round against Montreal, I would not say his run was top 10 ever, at all. For example, Osgood's 07-08 run was just as good, but he doesn't get the hype, because the team in front of him was much better than 2011's Bruins.

Reds4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 04:03 AM
TheDevilMadeMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
This run by Thomas definitely joins the ranks, that's for sure.

Given the eyeball test however, I still think that Giguere in 03 - depsite not winning the Cup - was more impressive.

But this performance was easily the greatest since Giguere. He did look Hasek-like at times.
Giguere was a lot like Luongo in the finals of 2003 a great at home, terrible on the road. (yes, I realize his run was lengendary until then).

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 04:13 AM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

vCash: 50
Roy 1993, 10 straight overtime wins, i think that should be enough.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:24 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I think Parent's might rank higher, but it is very close. Thomas had some low-card games against Tampa, but that's where it ends. For his fallings in that series he ended it pretty well with a 1-0 shutout. The rest of the series' he was dynamite and utterly Hasek-like.

If you were doing a top 10 list for goalies you would put Thomas' 2011 playoffs on it for sure. But I think there is a good argument of it being top 5.

Honestly, who is there?

Sawchuk 1952
Dryden 1971
Parent 1974-'75
Roy 1986, 1993

Would there be any other year that is ahead of Thomas for sure? In my mind not Giguere because he did fail to win. But you could have it look like this (rough copy, nothing written in stone)

Parent 1974
Roy 1993
Dryden 1971
Thomas 2011
Sawchuk 1952
Parent 1975

Is that accurate? I think it's pretty close to the best ones ever. Thomas is among the best playoff runs for sure.
I would also consider Ranford in 1990 and Richter in 1994.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Breakfast of Champs

IMO its not as good as giguere's in 03, that was incredible. But I think it was slightly ahead of other great recent performances like Khabibulin, ward, and Kipper. I would put it above Hasek and osgood easily. The fact that he let in 8 goals in a 7 game series to the best offensive team in the league who boasted the past 2 art ross trophy winners was the most amazing part. I cant speak for all-time as I have only been a hockey fan since roughly 2000, but ill say its a definitive 2nd best to giguere since then.

Last edited by Breakfast of Champs: 06-16-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:44 PM
SidGenoMario

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnman10 View Post
IMO its not as good as giguere's in 03, that was incredible. But I think it was slightly ahead of other great recent performances like Khabibulin, ward, and Kipper. I would put it above Hasek and osgood easily. The fact that he let in 8 goals in a 7 goal series to the best offensive team in the league who boasted the past 2 art ross trophy winners was the most amazing part. I cant speak for all-time as I have only been a hockey fan since roughly 2000, but ill say its a definitive 2nd best to giguere since then.
How do you grow up in Canada and not be a hockey fan? I've always wondered that. Everyone I know is either a hockey fan or not interested in anything related to competition.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
How do you grow up in Canada and not be a hockey fan? I've always wondered that. Everyone I know is either a hockey fan or not interested in anything related to competition.
Well I was 8 years old in 2000 haha so I did grow up a hockey fan.

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:27 PM
weaponomega

Thomas started out slow. He was frustrating against Montreal at times, and wasn't challenged too often against Philly. He had a weak game against Tampa, but from game 7 on...

His play in the finals was some of the best I have ever seen. I regard Giguere's 2003 run as the best playoff goaltending I've seen, but Thomas's play in the final far exceeded Giguere's.

weaponomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:36 PM
isles52480

That Billy Smith fella had some pretty good playoff runs, especially 82-83.

isles52480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 03:29 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnman10 View Post
The fact that he let in 8 goals in a 7 goal series to the best offensive team in the league who boasted the past 2 art ross trophy winners was the most amazing part.
I've read this several times and it doesn't stop seeming completely insane.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post

Parent 1974
Roy 1993
Dryden 1971
Thomas 2011
Sawchuk 1952
Parent 1975
....and I would add,

Crozier 1966
Sawchuk 1967

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 06:39 PM
vadim sharifijanov
thanks chris

okay, i swear this isn't sour grapes, but i don't think thomas put together a top five all-time finals. honestly, he didn't get the chance to. it's not like a big technically sound shot-blocking goalie like rinne, who makes routine saves look easy either, the canucks just didn't test him much. i don't think he totally had to earn those historically good numbers.

he made some fantastic saves when he needed to, don't get me wrong. but the canucks were to a large extent beaten by boston's system (especially game three and after) and by themselves... and by their own coach but i digress.

in terms of degree of difficulty and volume of momentum-shifting or game changing saves, i have roy in '93 well ahead of what thomas did this year. that's not thomas' fault though. he did everything he had to do.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Kyle McMahon

Hard to say where you put Thomas. He still frustrated me right up until the final two games of the final. Just so many fabulous saves, but still the untimely questionable goals. Saved games 4 and 5 against Montreal...did his team no favours in the first three. Crapped the bed completely in Game 4 and 6 against Tampa Bay, but pitched 2-1 and 1-0 wins in Game 5 and 7.

Saved the Bruins arse in Game 1 of the final (not his fault they couldn't get one goal), then gave up a laugher of an OT winner in Game 2.

But ultimately, any time Boston's back was truly against the wall, Thomas delivered. I've been his biggest critic for quite a while, but he'd won my confidence by Game 7 yesterday. Once Boston got up 2-0 yesterday, I delighted in knowing they were going to win the Cup. I knew there was no way in hell Thomas was going to give up three goals.

By my count, Boston played six games in the last two rounds that they absolutely had to win. (5,7 vs TB, 3,4,6,7 vs VAN). Thomas gave up a goal in the first minute of Game 5, then did not give up a single meaningful goal the rest of the way. Basically six games of shutout hockey when it mattered most. And that's the measure of a great goaltender.

When Boston was down 3-2 to the Canucks, I promised that I would buy a Tim Thomas jersey if he won the next two games and kept the Cup out of Vancouver. Thank you Tim, I will be true to my word, even though I can still barely imagine myself sporting your uniform!

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 07:05 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
okay, i swear this isn't sour grapes, but i don't think thomas put together a top five all-time finals. honestly, he didn't get the chance to. it's not like a big technically sound shot-blocking goalie like rinne, who makes routine saves look easy either, the canucks just didn't test him much. i don't think he totally had to earn those historically good numbers.

he made some fantastic saves when he needed to, don't get me wrong. but the canucks were to a large extent beaten by boston's system (especially game three and after) and by themselves... and by their own coach but i digress.

in terms of degree of difficulty and volume of momentum-shifting or game changing saves, i have roy in '93 well ahead of what thomas did this year. that's not thomas' fault though. he did everything he had to do.
i think this is right to some extent.

vancouver's offense was well below normal in the finals, imo. i mean in generating scoring chances, not goals. they seemed to become more and more worn down as the series progressed.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 07:40 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99wasnotthebest View Post

Giguere (03)
Hasek (99)
Beezer (96)
Brodeur (03)
Thomas (11)
Khabibulin (04)
Kipper (04)

Totally!
I came here to say Giguere 2003 was THE best playoff performance I've ever seen.
I only disagree with the Brodeur, he had quite a bit more help than anyone else in history IMO.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote