HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers sign Bryzgalov, 9 yrs, $5.66M cap hit (report in post #717)

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2011, 05:24 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
I'm not sure if it's mentioned, but as the salary cap increases, so too will the player's salaries. I believe Bryz' salary if 7M will be 11% of total, whereas many of the other top paid goalies were similar (10-12%) of the cap when they were signed.

Anyway, to lighten the mood:

@bryzgoalie30
bryzgoalie30
I'm birthday boy today thanks for warm wishes.Somebody drink for me,i'm not drink at all
He should invite all his HF supporters to the party !

Old
06-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
If those reports are true, the flyers have just brought us closer to winning a stanley cup since the year 19 hundred and seventy five. This guy will be the key to a cup. damn you faithless s.o.b's. wake up! this is what we've been waitin for. you gotta spend money to get talent. if everythings relative 7 mil sounds right for bryz considering we gave over a million to leighton. ones a vezina candidate with a stanley cup ring. The other's an AHL goalie who accidently wound up on the Flyers.
The Leighton signing may have been one of Holmgren's worst contracts. Not sure if that's the one you want to compare to.

Old
06-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Prongo
Beer

I don't know why everyone still thinks he got the 7 per year contract. Maybe i have too much faith in the people who are negotiating that are saying nothing is done. And also Snider has said that there is no deal in place and he isn't worried yet because they can't have a new deal until the salary cap is in place. So im pretty sure these reports are bogus

Old
06-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Devastate

I personally don't want bryz if it's going to cost us Bob. I would love to have bryz, but i think Bob will be incredible

Old
06-22-2011, 07:12 PM
CSKA1974

I ofer you another interview with Bryzgalov published today in "Sovetskiy Sport".
It is very lengthy and does not contain any conversation around Flyers contract.

As always, I tried to keep it as close to the source as possible. Enjoy:

Goalkeeper Iliya Bryzgalov: “I wanted to jump on the ice in Vancouver…”
“Sovetskiy Sport” is publishing a second part of the frank conversation with Ilia Bryzgalov. This time we talked about the Russian National team, Vancouver Olympics and life in general (I will omit parts of the interview, that pertinent to Russia only. CSKA).
We were seating in one of the outside cafes and Iliya was telling me about his summer. He told me that he spent some time in Hawaii with the family, he is building a house in one of the Moscow suburbs and then will spend some time in his native city- Toliati.
SS: Do you really build the house yourself?
IB: You don’t trust me? See for yourself- he stretches out his palms- I have corns on my hands. I do not hire contractors; they can really screw it up. I have been building it myself for 4 years now.
SS: The ancient proverb says that man’s life is accomplished if he built a house, planted a tree and raised a son. That’s the essence of life, is not it?
IB: That’s a good plan; I have planted trees, built houses. I have a son and a daughter. And I do not think about the sense of life. I just live.

Why is everyone saying that I have (I wanted to write “heff” here. CSKA) a difficult personality?”

SS: Don’t you feel that you were not invited to the national team due to your public criticism of the head coach Bykov?
IB: Nothing has changed in the national team in the last 18 months. So, I can’t even say why I was not invited. I just do not know. You need to ask people responsible for this decision.
SS: Did you refuse to go to Bratislava, or was it Bykov, who did not invite you?
IB: I expressed my willingness to play, but I was not there.
SS: May be because you let 17 pucks in during Detroit series?
IB: Detroit just crushed us. I may have let a couple of bad goals in, but that’s it. Wings did everything to make my life miserable. I simply did not see most of the goals. I was simply torn apart.
SS: Why did you refuse to interview during 2009 world cup? Were you upset with the journalists?
IB: I was not upset with anybody. May be, I just did not want to talk?
SS: What about after that? You are talking now.
IB: I have changed my mind. Can you believe that?
SS: One sport agent said: “Bryzgalov is an ideal client. He just needs to shut his mouth!”
IB: Who said that?
SS: Does not matter. But that was relevant to Winnipeg story, when you said that you would not play there. It pretty much offended Canadians.
IB: it’s one way I will be remembered in North America. But you surprised me. Who was flattering me that much- “ideal client”? Usually, people do not speak well about me. Without knowing me, they would say: “Bryzgalov has a terrible and complicated personality!”
SS: Really?
IB: I learnt it from your fellow journalists. I read it and think: “I do not know this guy, but he is writing as if he knows everything about me.”
SS: Do you get upset about that?
IB: Whatever. But, yes I have suffered from being open and frank.
SS: Is it about Mikhailov?
IB: Leave it. I was a youngster, about 20. I was ambitious, emotional, but not wise. Mikhailov did not select me for the team and I thought I deserved to play. And I told him he was wrong. That’s all.

“Nabokov is at fault for what is happening to him”

SS: I remember the way you replaced Rindo in one of the games in KHL. After he had let in 2 goals, you just jumped on the ice.
IB: It was play-off game and the coach hesitated to make change. I just took matter in my own hands.
SS: Did you want to do the same in Vancouver (Olympics. CSKA)
IB: I really did want to jump on the ice. Can you imagine the aftermath? Olympics are televised all over the world. 100’s of millions of people watched that ¼ final match with Canada. Imagine- I skate toward goals and the other guy refuses to leave.
SS: Is it true that the players in the locker room requested you in goals after the first period (with the score 1:4)?
IB: Well, it did not happen. Did it?
SS: Did Bykov insisted for Nabokov to play: “Let’s play for Evgeniy!”?
IB: That’s not true. Because Bykov did not come to the locker room after the first period. He did not show up till the last minute of the break, but by that time we were lined up in a hallway already.
SS: Perhaps, they were in shock too?
IB: They should not have been in shock. The players, the fans might be in shock, but not the commander, that rules. May be I said too much? But I am tired of hierocracy and empty interviews already where people say: “we fought, but we were out of luck”. But it was not that way really. Well, if they do not call me again… Okay. It’s going to hurt, I would like to play. But truth is more important.
SS: In hind sight, everyone understood that they should have called you for the world cup. Team left without medals, the coaches were fired.
IB: Professional sport does not forgive weakness. It’s dog eats dog world. You put the team on ice; you have to have the best players possible. The coach must believe- there is no one better, and the players should know that. Than there would not be doubts, such as: “we would have played better had we had a player X”. Not having the best squad creates poor morale in a locker room. May be that team does not believe in a player, but he is sneaked on a roster anyway. But how can you play knowing that this forward will never score and that goalie will never save? What can you expect from that team?
SS: I feel sorry for Nabokov. He ruined his career during that world cup. Does not it fell like he was framed? They put an unprepared goalie on ice.
IB: Why was he framed? Did not he know what he was doing? Did not he want to play there? Whatever happens with him is of his own faults. Nobody else’s. I can say that about anyone else.

“I quit drinking at 17”

SS: Did you ever drink alcohol?
IB: Yes, of course. Till I was 17.
SS: Strange, people usually start at that age.
IB: It visa versa for me. I even remember the date- November 7th (holiday in Russia. CSKA). I was very drunk, and I decided to quit. Realized that I had to choose between hockey and alcohol (He won’t be hanging around with Carter and Richards then. CSKA).
SS: What did you drink out of the Stanley cup, and World cup?
IB: Poured cranberry juice in the Ducks locker room and did not drink in Bern- they poured vodka in right away- laughs IlIya.
SS: Have you realized that you might be a member of the “Triple Gold Club” if you win Olympic Games. Does that stimulate you?
IB: Thanks for a reminder. That’s it, I am running to the gym to start a work out.
SS: Seriously?
IB: What will I get as a club member? A house? A car? Just ask the girl at the next table if she knows about the “Triple Gold Club”. She will say no.
SS: Do you believe in the end of the World?
IB: It will come rather soon, but not in 2012. It’s all media hoax. I remember the fears of 200, and what? But eventually we will destroy ourselves. The way we live, the stuff we do – can not be more stupid.
SS: Have you seen “I am legend”? Could you imagine yourself in Will Smith role?
IB: I would not want to be alone. Crazy situation, especially if you know that your family has died. Why live? What for?
SS: Will Smith talked to a dog. Do you have a pet?
IB: Yes, Mila- white Siberian husky. We easily find common language with her. She is very kind and loveable. Much better than most people.

“I can either sit in an office or sweep the streets”

SS: What kind of job can’t you imagine doing? For instance: Bryzgalov- office manager.
IB: I can imagine myself doing kind of job. I approach any job responsibly. Just teach me what I do not know and I will do it. I can either sit in the office or sweep the streets.
SS: Were the riots in Vancouver shocking?
IB: But that’s not the first time in Canada.
SS: Could Arizona fans riot?
IB: The fans there would not even know that the team has lost to someone in SCF.
SS: Where are your children more comfortable – in the USA or in Russia?
IB: They feel well anywhere. Most important, that they are loved.
SS: Did you name your son after Tretjak?
IB: No. He plays hockey. He is a skater, but most likely will move into the goals. I won’t interfere. I will help with whatever he decided.
SS: What does goalkeeper feel blocking pucks as hard as rocks?
IB: But, I wear equipment and feel very little. Of course, I would not do it naked. I do not look crazy to you, do I?
SS: But there is a statement: “son, you can play anywhere but goals.”
IB: I would advise otherwise. Imagine, you skate and got hit from blind side- concussion. A few more and you are an invalid for life. Or you got boarded with broken vertebra. As for goalies, just groin injuries and may be few others (not as frequent, though). So, where is safer? So may be- “play goals, son”?
At the end of the interview Bryzgalov answered some questionnaire:
1. What quality you value the most in men? - Wisdom;
2. What quality you value the most in women? - Also wisdom. And patience;
3. What is your main feature? - Sincerity. I am a straight shooter;
4. Where would you like to live? - Where everything is calm and quiet. A little island, may be. I just need 2 conditions- quietness and warm water. I won’t be bored;
5. Who is your favorite writer? – Dostoyevskiy;
6. What’s your favorite food, drink? – Shish kabob and pomegranate juice;
7. What disgusts you the most? - Dirt. Any kind: on the streets, moral dirt;
8. What historical personalities do you dislike? - I am interested in all of them, even in tyrants. He may be disgusting, but how did he mange to conquer ½ of the world;
9. If devil offered you immortality would you take it? - No, the hardest is to survive your children and grandchildren;
10. What is you favorite saying? - “Erare human est.”- to err is human from Latin;
11. What will you say to G_d after your death? - “Forgive us all, please.

Last edited by CSKA1974: 06-22-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old
06-22-2011, 07:21 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

What a great interview. I died when he said the fans in Phoenix wouldn't even know, man he hated it there haha.

Also, great that he claims to be a straight shooter, proves the point that he's not toying with us.

He is seriously the man.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:25 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

Snider : " I want Bryzgalov "

Didn't see this posted yet...

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...cmpid=15585797

Quote:
Snider made it clear that he is the one who wants Ilya Bryzgalov in a Flyers uniform next season, setting in motion a directive at the end of last season that put general manager Paul Holmgren on a mission.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1Q3PyuBkl
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-22-2011 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Posted in #456
Old
06-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Fulton44*

For the record

I wanted Bryz or Vokoun from the second the season ended, Bryz would tops on my own personal wish list though. I think he is a better goalie, and the whole 31/35 thing gave me flashbacks to Cujo and the Beezer.

All along I have thought that an annual cap hit of 5.5 million for Bryzgalov would a great number for the Flyers, and that most likely he would get 6.0 million which I was/am totally fine with that.

So now the RUMORS are that he could be getting 7 million. Do I think that would make him overpaid, yes and no. It's alittle bit higher than I think he should get, but only by 1 million.

More importantly, I just throw this out there for everyone to consume.
When the 2009-2010 season started, a new contract for a certain goalie kicked in at a 6.2 million cap hit. At this time, the cap was 56.8 million.
If Bryzgalov were to have an annual cap hit of 7 million with an NHL salary cap of 64 million, percentage wise when the first deal began and when this one would, these would be similar contracts.

People may agree or disagree, but after Thomas, Lundqvist, and Luongo, to me there are three goalies who fall into the second tier, Bryz is one of them, and the person mentioned above is as well.

So, while I would be dissapointed if the cap hit were 7 million and think Bryz is a little bit overpaid, I would also be able to keep it real and understand that he wouldn't be overpaid by much, it is necessary, and that anyone calling it one of the worst contracts in the league, calling for Holmgren to be fired, etc, are your typical "overreacting, loud mouthed, never happy Philly fan types."

I think this is all moot, as I think these "rumors" are total BS and that Bryzgalov ends up getting 5.5 - 6 million still, but I just had give my two cents on the armagedon that has taken place in this thread today.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Miss Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Laviolette: "On your far right, you can see the city dump."

Bryzgalov: "Looks like Philadelphia people not like Coca-Cola. Why are there so many destroyed machines?"

Winter: "Just keep driving, Peter."

Old
06-22-2011, 07:30 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
Great article. Showing Snider wants nothing but Bryz. Bryz is #1 priority over anything else. Good to see we have our things in order.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulton44 View Post
So now the RUMORS are that he could be getting 7 million. Do I think that would make him overpaid, yes and no. It's alittle bit higher than I think he should get, but only by 1 million.
1M is kind of a lot... that's a good 3rd/4th line role player potentially.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:39 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
“I quit drinking at 17”

SS: Did you ever drink alcohol?
IB: Yes, of course. Till I was 17.
SS: Strange, people usually start at that age.
IB: It visa versa for me. I even remember the date- November 7th (holiday in Russia. CSKA). I was very drunk, and I decided to quit. Realized that I had to choose between hockey and alcohol (He won’t be hanging around with Carter and Richards then. CSKA).
Hmm, Panaccio headline: "Flyers sign Ilya Bryzgalov, recovering alcoholic, to calm some players partying down"

Old
06-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulton44 View Post
For the record

I wanted Bryz or Vokoun from the second the season ended, Bryz would tops on my own personal wish list though. I think he is a better goalie, and the whole 31/35 thing gave me flashbacks to Cujo and the Beezer.

All along I have thought that an annual cap hit of 5.5 million for Bryzgalov would a great number for the Flyers, and that most likely he would get 6.0 million which I was/am totally fine with that.

More importantly, I just throw this out there for everyone to consume.
When the 2009-2010 season started, a new contract for a certain goalie kicked in at a 6.2 million cap hit. At this time, the cap was 56.8 million.
If Bryzgalov were to have an annual cap hit of 7 million with an NHL salary cap of 64 million, percentage wise when the first deal began and when this one would, these would be similar contracts.

People may agree or disagree, but after Thomas, Lundqvist, and Luongo, to me there are three goalies who fall into the second tier, Bryz is one of them, and the person mentioned above is as well.

So, while I would be dissapointed if the cap hit were 7 million and think Bryz is a little bit overpaid, I would also be able to keep it real and understand that he wouldn't be overpaid by much, it is necessary, and that anyone calling it one of the worst contracts in the league, calling for Holmgren to be fired, etc, are your typical "overreacting, loud mouthed, never happy Philly fan types."

I think this is all moot, as I think these "rumors" are total BS and that Bryzgalov ends up getting 5.5 - 6 million still, but I just had give my two cents on the armagedon that has taken place in this thread today.

I think I agree with every point you make here. That doesn't happen often for me on HF.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Thanks CSKA! The apocalypse questions kind of caught me by surprise.

06-22-2011, 08:07 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

HF Flyers Board: Home of the

This speculation all just puts the twit in Twitter. I'm hoping for the best (ie, <$6 mil) but there's just no sense getting our colons in a bunch over rumours and conflicting numbers.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Terence Peterman

That interview is awesome.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Damn Russian interviews can get pretty philosophical.

Great work as always, CSKA! That was a good read.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:41 PM
JABEE

Interviewer: if you were a tree what type of tree would you be?
IB: I've thought about this very question a lot...

Old
06-22-2011, 09:02 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

Quote:
SS: Maybe because you let 17 pucks in during Detroit series?
IB: Detroit just crushed us. I may have let a couple of bad goals in, but that’s it. Wings did everything to make my life miserable. I simply did not see most of the goals. I was simply torn apart.
Honesty, I like it.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:22 PM
3Fs

Fulton44

Very great post imho.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:44 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
11. What will you say to G_d after your death? - “Forgive us all, please.
So Bryz is Jewish then?

Old
06-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
So Bryz is Jewish then?
challah!

Old
06-22-2011, 10:42 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Great interview and translation....enjoyed it. Bryzgalov is quite the character to say the least. I like his candor and he's well centered IMO. That should bode well..

I Like the below proverb but with his new contract he might want to just consider paying to have a home built by illegal aliens, getting some illegal aliens to plant his tree and the same with raising son (maybe Arnold's maid?)....

Quote:
The ancient proverb says that man’s life is accomplished if he built a house, planted a tree and raised a son. That’s the essence of life, is not it

Old
06-22-2011, 10:53 PM
MsWoof

Love how he quit drinking when he turned 17. 17!!!!

Old
06-22-2011, 11:04 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Russians have Vodka coursing through their veins from birth..not a surprise.

Closed Thread