HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason Thread

Old
06-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Edler Von Gud

vCash: 181
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
Seconded. He was great for us at his cap hit, but I will laugh if he gets a big contract in two weeks.
Thirded. Every time hamhuis was injured this year ehrhoff got exposed as not a top pairing defenseman.

Edler Von Gud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 09:54 PM
BloatedGuppy

vCash: 500
You can test the waters for Luongo but in reality you're likely taking a burden contract back, and Schneider is completely unproven as a starting netminder. If you're serious about maybe moving Lou and going to Schneider full time, you split their starts, ala Rask and Thomas, and see what the kid can do if he's not sheltered.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 09:55 PM
gobi

I am all for trading Luongo. Won't miss him a bit.

gobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
thenextone

Erhoff when healthy basically makes our PP deadly...but he's got a shoulder injury and he's basically useless without his shot. I blame AV for putting in the lineup when he's clearly crippled

If it turns out he's healthy I'll eat my words.

thenextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RStar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
I want more Luongo trade talk, frankly. If the team had an even half competent goalie in the finals they'd have won.
You would have scored more goals with a different goalie?

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 09:56 PM
JamesBond*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiablo17 View Post
So if Pittsburgh lost in 09 should they have traded Crosby?
Crosby is an exponentially better player. Luongo folds in big games.

JamesBond* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Yep. He's good at what he does, but we need a physical steady D man more than we need another offensive defeceman that can't handle pressure. I'd keep him for 5 or under, but not a cent more.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 09:57 PM
NiceDemitra

He Has A Leg Injury For Gods Sake. Ive Seen Him Walking And He Walks With A Massive Limp.

NiceDemitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
Ehrhoff is what he is. He's a soft, mobile, offensively deadly d-man who rushes the puck like no one's business but struggles to contain large or determined forwards. He was injured, and the Canucks defense was decimated so he was forced to play tougher minutes than he ideally should be playing. Like Bieksa, he's a player you need to shelter with a responsible partner for him to really shine.
Bieksas played with multiple Dmen and done fine. No comparison.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 09:59 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Bieksas played with multiple Dmen and done fine. No comparison.
Bieksa was not injured.

Bieksa was also a huge goat in last year's Chicago series and everyone wanted him run out of town.

Ehrhoff is not a bad player. He's just a limited player, who fills a very specific need and role.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 09:59 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
I want more Luongo trade talk, frankly. If the team had an even half competent goalie in the finals they'd have won.
8 goals in 7 games; worst playoff offense of any cup finalist in NHL history; 5% PP; only scored more than 1 goal in 2 of 7 games; and so forth.

opendoor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:00 PM
MountainGoat

vCash:
no one will take Louuuuuu, probably the worst peformance from a goalie in the scf ever

Old
06-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Cromulence
Up and at them!

Luongo lost three games all by himself in a best of seven. He was no help tonight either. This franchise is never going to win with a goalie that's so incredibly inconsistent. The Bruins were pretty much out of this series and ready to roll over and Luongo let them back into it, all by himself. He was THE factor in this seres. Way bigger than Thomas. It's also silly to talk about the goal totals after Luongo imploded. Those games were over before they started. Nothing that happened after that mattered. He already lost it for them.

It doesn't help that the team is so fragile mentally that they fall apart as soon as Luongo lets in a few softies either. He's clearly not right for this team. The Canucks need a goalie who can give them some consistency. I really don't think they can succeed not knowing what Luongo they will get night to night.

With all that said, I doubt he gets moved. How can he? We're going to have to go into next years' playoffs and hope for the first time in four years he doesn't completely implode. He just cost this city a Stanley Cup so I don't think the fans and media are going to be any easier on him.

Cromulence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
vcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
It must make things feel so simple and easy to just blame everything on him eh?

It's all Luongo's fault. That's why you got shut out. Blame the goalie.
Are you related to Luongo? Did he give his team a chance to get the first goal? No, Thomas did, all the 3 goals that got by him were weak and totally deflated the whole team. You can always comeback from goals that beat your goaltender clean, but those type of goals (especially the 3rd one) just take the air out of the team. It was hard enough to score goals on Thomas and know you dont even trust your own goaltender. You Luongo lovers really need to get your eyes checked and see he **** the bed hard in the SCF and not just blame the team infront of him. Whats the excuse for game 3 and 4? the team did score 9 on Thomas and 5 in game 4?

vcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

We should he just can't be great all playoffs. But to be fair AV needs to go and we need to bring in an impact winger.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Illmatic Stoic

Worst SCF by a goalie ever... And I was a huge believer of Luongo, even last game I thought he would step up today. But this... It's too much

Illmatic Stoic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:06 PM
MS

Luongo would clear waivers right now on account of his ridiculous contract, and has an NTC in any case. He isnt going anywhere. Hell be here for another 10 years.

As much as Id like to move forward with Schneider and Lack it isnt an option and the best we can do is hope hes better when it matters next season.

Itll be an interest situation for the franchise when were forced to trade Schneider and keep going with a guy whos rapidly losing public support here.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:09 PM
obsenssive*

Send a message via MSN to obsenssive*
I think Schneider looks promising. nucks looked like a more confident team in front of him. luongo is an utter failure. I still can't believe you guys made it to the finals with him.

obsenssive* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:11 PM
rusty890

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp75 View Post
you can easily say the Sedins no showed most of the playoffs, weak useless should be gone ect. They didnt step up when needed either. Not 1 Canuck did.
The difference is that the Canucks don't have anyone waiting in the wings to take over for the Sedins. They do with Luongo. Luongo will be mercilessly mocked here this summer and it will be better for him to ask for a trade out of here. I, personally, want him gone. Schneider will prove to be the better goalie over the course of his career. I know it won't be easy to trade him, but, they must try. Imagine what they could do with the cap space.

rusty890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJP View Post
Maybe Florida will take him back. Vokoun is UFA after this season.
I'd do it......for your 1st round picks for the next 10 years. Where do we sign?

Panteras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
Bieksa was not injured.

Bieksa was also a huge goat in last year's Chicago series and everyone wanted him run out of town.

Ehrhoff is not a bad player. He's just a limited player, who fills a very specific need and role.

Start thinking and talking some sense.

1) how do you know Bieksa isnt injured?

2) Bieksa was the goat last year but that has nothing to do with this year. Bieksa made his mistakes as does everyone but was the lightning rod for criticism.

Bieksa was one of the few guys putting effort in. He had something like 7 hits after 2 periods. Battled the top lines which were fairly quiet for BOS. Battled Lucic.

Finished the game -2. First goal started when his pass was not picked up by the 3-4 nucks standing around at the bench on a change. Second was the empty net where he was playing goal.

Finished the PO with a +6 again despite playing against top lines. Despite blow outs. Kesler gets the credit for shutting down Toews but Bieksa was the one pasting him to the boards pretty much every chance.

Not to mention his 10 points. Of which many were on important goals.

Ehrhoff was bad before the injury and worse afterwards.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:16 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

I'll never forgive him for game 6. He talked the talk then walked into Boston and **** the bed in the first 5 mins. He never even gave his team a chance to win that game. It was embarassing for himself and his teammates.

They didn't lose the series because of him, but all you have to do is look at Thomas to see what a real star goaltender is supposed to do. He took the team on his back, something Luongo will never, ever be capable of doing.

If I was Gillis, I would try everything to move him. I would beg Aquilini to pay his contract in the minors, if it came to that. He's mentally fragile and a proven loser, IMO - they will never win with him, and I don't give a **** about the gold medal that Team Canada won in spite of him.

Slashy McSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:16 PM
MAGICMAN1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon25 View Post
question is who is willing to eat his enormous salary? Lou plays big in games but is not a big game goalie.
was game 7 SCF not big,,he is too unreliable ,,trade the a--

MAGICMAN1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:17 PM
vcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiablo17 View Post
Don't even bring in that conparisiition.

**** you, one Oiler fan (who is the first time I Agree with him by the way) speaks some truth let something go aside from the trolls

Agreed.

We lost, it happened and we can't do anything about it. We just have to hope our core players learned from this experience like the Penguins did.
**** you! first your dumbass comparing Luongo to Crosby? are you high? one is a big game performer and the other one embarrased this franchise. Luongo 2 series against the Hawks 2 historic meltdowns.. and now a bigger meltdown in the biggest stage in NHL...

vcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

his contract makes him untradable

however it's unfortunate that his performance these playoffs raised more questions than it answered...i mean, the franchise goalie, future captain, and golden boy was outplayed in 3 of the 4 series he was involved in, and badly ouplayed in the stanley cup finals

my biggest worry is that thomas' style of athleticism and aggressiveness might be the new trend for goaltenders, and that luongo's butterfly style will be obsolete in the same way that kirk mclean's standup style was obsolete shortly after 1994...shooters around the league are starting to figure out how to consistently beat butterfly goaltenders and luongo doesn't have the ability to stray from his structure to adjust to how shooters are beating him

luongo is a goalie that looks great when his team is playing solid defensively, as he plays such a structured game...but no goaltender in the league lets the floodgates open faster once things go south and he simply isn't a player that can be a difference maker when his team doesn't bring its best defensive game on a given night

in the span of a year, he won gold in the olympics, was nominated for the vezina, and made it to game 7 of the stanley cup finals...and yet he looks like a shattered shell of his former self from 4 years ago and his contract looks like it'll be an albatross to this club in a few years

and regarding his comments after game 5...just inexcusable and baffling

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote