HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Offseason Thread

Old
06-15-2011, 10:41 PM
JamesBond*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
Lou, Ehrhoff rights, 1st for first overall. draft larsson.
Lou to the Oilers? He'd never agree to that. FLA or TB maybe, Flyers maybe.

JamesBond* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:42 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxMan View Post
If we traded Luongo to the flyers we would have posts on here regretting it because they went on to win a cup. We didn't lose because of Luongo. That first goal on Luongo was off a faceoff we won and it was the most pathetic display of defense I've ever seen.
They didn't lose the series because of Luongo but he did absolutely nothing to help them win. And the Canucks had two chances to win the Cup and Luongo pissed the first one away in 5 mins, never even giving his teammates a chance. He's supposed to be the backbone of this team, they are more-or-less built around him, and he simply cannot handle the job. Move him, somehow, to a non-hockey market, where he could possibly thrive. Put him on waivers. Anything. They won't win with him here, and as much as his teammates may like him as a person, I don't think they have confidence in him anymore.

Slashy McSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
As much as I despise Luongo he wasn't the reason the Canucks lost.

Boston shut down the Vancouver forwards, simple as that. And when they failed Thomas was there.

The forwards lost you the series.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
I agree. I also think Schneider is more well liked by his teammates. I don't think Luongo is well liked and add to that, when he is off his game, I think the team resents that they have to play in front of him.

They can get rid of Luongo somewhere. Bury him in the minors. He has too much ego to stay there.
Well this is just baseless tripe. Have you ever heard any ex-teammate say anything even remotely negative about the guy? If anything, his biggest fault seems to be that he cares too much.

The team resents playing in front of him? That's just bull. Unless you want to say Luongo resents playing behind soft immature twits.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Judas View Post
They didn't lose the series because of Luongo but he did absolutely nothing to help them win. And the Canucks had two chances to win the Cup and Luongo pissed the first one away in 5 mins, never even giving his teammates a chance. He's supposed to be the backbone of this team, they are more-or-less built around him, and he simply cannot handle the job. Move him, somehow, to a non-hockey market, where he could possibly thrive. Put him on waivers. Anything. They won't win with him here, and as much as his teammates may like him as a person, I don't think they have confidence in him anymore.
We won 3 games while scoring 5 goals in total, we were lucky to even get to Game 7 with the way our offense was performing in this series. We were lucky to be up 2-0 in the series as both those games could've gone either way.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:44 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastSedin View Post
Lets not get carried away with emotion. The guy was great until hammer went down. He isn't a 1-2 pair d-man. He is an offensive D-man not a shut down man. Resign the guy, condition him, and make sure you find another Hamhuis.
I don't think the Canucks need another Hamhuis. They need the Hamhuis they have to stay healthy. They need Edler to improve. And they need reliable bottom pairing guys like Rome/Alberts/Tanev or a cheap Salo to shore up the back end. We can't have 4.2 million in cap space warming the bench on the defense for depth purposes. We need that money spent on forwards. We lean way too heavily on Kesler, the Sedins, and 1st unit power play, and we got exposed.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
timw33

Deflating attitude, poor fight/battle/whatever you want to call it.

Sick of it.

Play Schnieder.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
luongo321

vCash: 50
No. he's a good goalie. They need to get him a full-time psychologist to work on his mental game. He is way too emotional/superstitious and zones out sometimes. He's my favourite player, but I've thought for years that he could benefit from a psychologist to keep him thinking positive and in the right mindset.

The team didn't score enough which puts even more unfair pressure on him.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:45 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

8 goals in 7 games, and everyone wants Luongo's head?

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:47 PM
Hammer79

Last edited by Hammer79: 02-22-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dado

vCash:
I'm in the camp that holds a few other members of The Core at least as accountable as Luongo. Be that as it may, he's lost the confidence of the city and is, for whatever reason, a highly polarizing dude. And it just can't be denied - something just plain bad happens to the team when he lets in softies.

It's time to shake hands and part ways, I think.

Old
JamesBond*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Well this is just baseless tripe. Have you ever heard any ex-teammate say anything even remotely negative about the guy? If anything, his biggest fault seems to be that he cares too much.

The team resents playing in front of him? That's just bull. Unless you want to say Luongo resents playing behind soft immature twits.
Yeah you're right. Just pure speculation based on nothing but my hunch. That's all.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:48 PM
JamesBond*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdhawan89 View Post
Lou? Have fun trying to get the Oilers to agree to that.
Good point.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:51 PM
thecupismine

People seem to forget what happened the previous series at times like this. For my money, he was excellent in the first three series and was a key reason they got to the finals.

I will say this though: whoever made the Luongo/McNabb comparison (ex quarterback of the Eagles for non-NFL fans) was pretty damn smart. McNabb led his team to the superbowl and lost. In that final, he threw three touchdowns and over 300 yards. However, he also threw 3 interceptions that game. Some people say he was one of the only reasons they were there, others say he cost them the whole thing. Luongo is in a similar situation in that he won them three games this series but didn't do much to help the team's cause in games 3, 4 and 6. Honestly, game 7 wasn't that bad of a performance but he wasn't the player the Canucks needed him to be with all their other guys ******** the bed.

thecupismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:51 PM
CpatainCanuck

Luongo shouldn't be the lone scapegoat of this series. The canucks scored 3 goals in the 4 losses. Luongo could have played great and the team may have still lost all four games. The forwards, defence, and goaltending were all subpar.

That said, If I was the GM, I would attempt to trade Luongo for a good young forward or D-man, and use the money saved to bolster the rest of the roster.

Schneider looked very good this year, and (hopefully) he will continue to improve. He seems to have a similar personality to Thomas: very happy and confident.

CpatainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 11:00 PM
TheLastSedin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
I don't think the Canucks need another Hamhuis. They need the Hamhuis they have to stay healthy. They need Edler to improve. And they need reliable bottom pairing guys like Rome/Alberts/Tanev or a cheap Salo to shore up the back end. We can't have 4.2 million in cap space warming the bench on the defense for depth purposes. We need that money spent on forwards. We lean way too heavily on Kesler, the Sedins, and 1st unit power play, and we got exposed.
Look at how well we did with a guy like Rome, another Hamhuis could allow more timely pinches and bombs from the point.

I agree about Edler needing to better, but I think we expected too much from him after coming back from his surgery. He was having a career year, but ran out of gas. The time away showed in his conditioning.

Tanev is an exciting prospect. Once the guy gets some guns and lays the body - he'll be Edler 2.0.

Rome, and Alberts are great bottom pairing guys. We need them to get conditioned and disciplined.

Ballard won't be liability next year, he'll be on another team.

TheLastSedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 11:01 PM
clyankees47

Luongo probably had no chance on the first goal, but the other two goals he probably should have had.

Bottom line is..... he didn't give his team a chance to win in one too many games in this series.

This is a recurring theme with Luongo. The last two years with Chicago and now this year with Boston (and almost Chicago in the first round).

When is enough enough, people???

I think Luongo has been given enough chances to prove it in the playoffs and he's reached the end of the line. It's time to move on.

If he can't win the cup with that Vancouver lineup in front of you, I'm not sure he can ever win the cup short of giving him a Team Canada type team in front of him.

clyankees47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Sedinery2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Ehrhoff must return. You can't replace what he does in free agency.

IMO you bring back Ehrhoff, Bieksa, Salo, move Ballard, try to get another solid #5 and hope for once in your franchise's history the defense stays relatively healthy in crunch time.

When was the last time one of our opponents beat us in the playoffs with more injuries on defense than the Canucks had? Can someone please refresh my memory.
Amen. Tanev on the bottom pairing will be great too...and as to the last question...never happened I dont think ..

Sedinery2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Sedinery2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastSedin View Post
Lets not get carried away with emotion. The guy was great until hammer went down. He isn't a 1-2 pair d-man. He is an offensive D-man not a shut down man. Resign the guy, condition him, and make sure you find another Hamhuis.
Tanev is the "another" Hamhius

Sedinery2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 11:04 PM
WPGFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Assuming there is a team stupid enough to take him, do the Canucks get rid of him?
I would trade him. He is not a good goaltender! He was greatly responsible for 4 losses in this SCF.

WPGFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
keslerburrows

Luongo for Heatley then. 2 wildcards, helps both teams needs, and gives Kesler a player who has talent. Give me a break if im way off, im half way gunned.

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
wilty00

vCash: 1004
Knock a couple million off his salary, if he doesn't take then cya later.

wilty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 11:05 PM
JamesBond*

In the end, the team was pretty beat up:

Hamhuis out (top pairing d-man out): This is basically akin to Suter for Nashville or Siedenberg for Boston, or Murray for San Jose being out.

Two of their top 6 out : Samuelsson and Raymond

Their off season additions to the third line injured: Malhotra

Their prized defensive addition a bust: Ballard

It's amazing they made it as far as they did in a lot of respects.

I still think we as fans deserve to hear what all the injuries players still playing had.

Old
Saren
Multi Pass!

Hard to score goals when your goalie is giving up pathetic goals to start the game. Momentum is deflated and you spend half the game worrying more about him than the other netminder.

He needs to go. This isn't the first time he's been outplayed by the other goalie this year. Anti-clutch, not a top level performer, and his contract is a mess.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Deflating attitude, poor fight/battle/whatever you want to call it.

Sick of it.

Play Schnieder.
I was sick to my stomach after Vigneault allowed Luongo to stay in net after that 3rd goal. No effort on that play whatsoever. If you aren't going to battle to make saves in game 7 of the cup finals when will you?

No interest in seeing this guy play another game in a Canuck uniform. He'll go on to have good years elsewhere, he's still a good player, he's just not a good fit in this organization. Too much water under the bridge at this point.

I hope he requests a trade.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote