HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What was your best Habs Hero for one game?

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2004, 01:01 AM
HABitude

vCash: 500
What was your best Habs Hero for one game?

There has been a thred about your favorite past/ and present Habs, and another one on the worst habs player, and the worst line-up of the last 10 years.

Now try to name your favorite Hab player who once was a hero for one game, or a short period. It have to be a player who usually don't get a special attention from the fans or the medias.

They showed at rds one game of the Habs-Flames finals in '86. Gaston Gingras scored with a blasting slapshot from the blue line. Gaston's slap-shot was a monster, he's one of my favorite hero for one game.

Another one is Mike DiPietro who scored 3 goals in one game of the '93 series. A pure one-game hero.
Also in my list: Sergei Zholtok who did well when he take the #1 center (or #2 center) when Koivu was injured. That was in 98-99 winter.
Also the replacement of Zholtoc: Kilger did pretty well after he was acquired by a trade.
Also in '93: Gilbert Dionne with his goal in overtime (a deflection, he showed to the referees he sensed the puck deflecting on his stick).

Okay I'll stop, I want to leave you some players for you too.

... what a long summer, nothing to talk about. The only time when these threads are relevants. Time to sign Kovy!

Old
07-21-2004, 01:07 AM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
I'll never forget the first Habs-Leafs game I saw live in person.

Quintal behind the net. Fires a pass to Rucinsky on the side boards. Rucinsky plays the puck, one touch, on to Savage. Savage falling onto his knees gets the puck and crosses the Leafs blue line... partial breakaway. On his knees, shoots er in top right.

Thank god it was October, Savage never would've scored that goal . We lost the game too (Berezin went end-to-end for the Leafs), but I'll never forget Savage's goal.

Maybe that doesn't really fit your criteria.

Old
07-21-2004, 01:08 AM
HABitude

Oh I forgot: the GREATEST HERO for One Game !! The one who scored the 10,000 Goal of the Canadiens franchise: SERGEi BEREZIN !!!

Lol. funny but it's true. That will be in the history books. Berezin ....

Old
07-21-2004, 01:12 AM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
Oh I forgot: the GREATEST HERO for One Game !! The one who scored the 10,000 Goal of the Canadiens franchise: SERGEi BEREZIN !!!

Lol. funny but it's true. That will be in the history books. Berezin ....
Yeah, I was just remembering that one too! Poor guy was probably a scratch next game . I actually remember him doing well in the 01-02 playoffs on a line with Koivu and Kilger.

Old
07-21-2004, 01:14 AM
Boutmania

Send a message via AIM to Boutmania Send a message via Yahoo to Boutmania
Théodore and Zednik in 01-02 playoffs run.

I'm a young fan so it would be lying to say Roy or Dipeitro or whoever in 93 playoffs run.

Lately, Bégin really act as an hero when he got half of his teeths lost and came back later on in the game to play.

That was my 2 cents

Old
07-21-2004, 01:15 AM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.roberts
I'll never forget the first Habs-Leafs game I saw live in person.

Quintal behind the net. Fires a pass to Rucinsky on the side boards. Rucinsky plays the puck, one touch, on to Savage. Savage falling onto his knees gets the puck and crosses the Leafs blue line... partial breakaway. On his knees, shoots er in top right.

Thank god it was October, Savage never would've scored that goal . We lost the game too (Berezin went end-to-end for the Leafs), but I'll never forget Savage's goal.

Maybe that doesn't really fit your criteria.
I have a friend who always was a die-hard fan of Savage. Man, in october Savage was God!
If hockey was played only in october, Savage would have been next after Gretzsky. I do remember some of Brain's goals, what a natural snyper he was.

You're right, Savage doesn't fit in my criteria, he was better than a one game hero. Thanks for posting anyway.

Old
07-21-2004, 01:22 AM
Nyclaus

Quote:
Yeah, I was just remembering that one too! Poor guy was probably a scratch next game . I actually remember him doing well in the 01-02 playoffs on a line with Koivu and Kilger.
You must be confusing Berezin with Audette.

As for the topic, there are quite a few dramatic goals in Habs history, but I'll have to go with Claude Lemieux in overtime 'gainst Hartford in game 7, cup run 1986....what a climax (for us) that goal was.

Old
07-21-2004, 01:26 AM
Habs4Life

Who can forget about Patrick Roy in 86.. The incredible saves he made were unbelievable.... On top of that he was a rookie..

Old
07-21-2004, 01:27 AM
HABitude

Quote:
I never understood what happened with this guy. The first week we got him he was almost fantastic: he scored that historic goal, he was a feaking fast skater and had a pretty strong quick release shot. Then he was scatched by coach Therrien. My theory was that he wasn't the kind of player Therrien was expecting in return of Savage. Therrien was maybe expecting a tough grinder instead of a “Federov without the hockey sense”.

Berezin came back in the line-up in the 01-02 series and did pretty well on the wing with Koivu, adding some speed. I don't know what happened behind these closed doors. I remember reading an article of Francois Gagnon, he was telling that the habs players (from microphone off) didn't want to play with Berezin because he wasn't passing the puck.

Old
07-21-2004, 01:34 AM
Nyclaus

Quote:
I never understood what happened with this guy. The first week we got him he was almost fantastic: he scored that historic goal, he was a feaking fast skater and had a pretty strong quick release shot. Then he was scatched by coach Therrien. My theory was that he wasn't the kind of player Therrien was expecting in return of Savage. Therrien was maybe expecting a tough grinder instead of a “Federov without the hockey sense”.

Berezin came back in the line-up in the 01-02 series and did pretty well on the wing with Koivu, adding some speed. I don't know what happened behind these closed doors. I remember reading an article of Francois Gagnon, he was telling that the habs players (from microphone off) didn't want to play with Berezin because he wasn't passing the puck.
I tought Berezin was benched the whole series? If not, he only played in one game, right?

Old
07-21-2004, 01:35 AM
Habs

LeClair's timely goals in the 93 playoff finals... he was my hero at the time. Planted in front of the net, unmoveable... ah.. the memories.

Also, I'll never forget when Russ Courtnall scored in Game 7 .. overtime .. against Hartford to win the series... that was incredible.

Theo's performance against Boston two years ago sticks out as well, as does many a Mike McPhee/Skrudland efforts over the years.

Old
07-21-2004, 01:36 AM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyclaus
You must be confusing Berezin with Audette.
No he's right. Berezin played first line with Koivu on game 2 against Carolina. Habs were seaking the first goal, hockey experst were saying Kevin Weekes was slow on returns. So Berezin came fast along the board (on right side), made a strong slap and Koivu jumped very quickly on the return to score. Habs won that game.

Also Berezin scored the third goal when it was 3-0 in the sad 4rth game that Canadiens lost in OT.

Old
07-21-2004, 01:38 AM
Riggins

Quote:
No he's right. Berezin played first line with Koivu on game 2 against Carolina. Habs were seaking the first goal, hockey experst were saying Kevin Weekes was slow on returns. So Berezin came fast along the board (on right side), made a strong slap and Koivu jumped very quickly on the return to score. Habs won that game.
Yep, I remember that goal very clearly.

Old
07-21-2004, 01:41 AM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs

Also, I'll never forget when Russ Courtnall scored in Game 7 .. overtime .. against Hartford to win the series... that was incredible.

What???

Hey Habs, you're on drugs or what? That was Claude Lemieux, no mistake about that!! I do remember that very well, I am more sure of that than, ... than knowing my own name, lol.

Please read the other posts, when Nyclaus is refering to the “climax goal”.

:lol

edit: Or maybe you're refering to the 7th game in 89, yep, I think you're right, it was Courtnall. But Lemieux's goal in 86 was better, more dramatic and histeric.

Last edited by HABitude: 07-21-2004 at 01:46 AM.
Old
07-21-2004, 01:47 AM
Nyclaus

Quote:

Also Berezin scored the third goal when it was 3-0 in the sad 4rth game that Canadiens lost in OT.
Thanks for the refresher...I needed that.

Old
07-21-2004, 02:04 AM
HABitude

Quote:
Thanks for the refresher...I needed that.
Sorry, me too it hurts me to remember that.

Back to the topic: I want one game heroes, or one week heroes.

I don't want names like Leclair, Lemieux, Savage or Courtnall. They are better than 4rth line players, no?
I want anonymous players who once were one-time heroes , ex: like DiPietro in '93.

Last edited by HABitude: 07-21-2004 at 02:14 AM.
Old
07-21-2004, 02:54 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Roy was Superman in 93 playoffs....what a performance to lead the habs to the cup

Old
07-21-2004, 07:39 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Langdon this year with his Game winner vs. Boston

Old
07-21-2004, 08:01 AM
larue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
LeClair's timely goals in the 93 playoff finals... he was my hero at the time. Planted in front of the net, unmoveable... ah.. the memories.

Theo's performance against Boston two years ago sticks out as well, as does many a Mike McPhee/Skrudland efforts over the years.
I am pretty sure the one with Russ was against Buffalo and it was game six. It was pretty good though. Correct me if I am wrong.

Mine goes back away and it was either 76/77 or 77/78 I cant remember the excact year. But it was the last minute two-many men on the ice call against Don Cherry and the Bruins. I will never forget Lafleur coming down the wing and taking that drop pass from Lemaire and one timing it in the bottom corner. That tied the game and Yvonne Lambert score a beauty in overtime to win game seven and go on to win the cup.
Sweet stuff.

Claude Lemieuxs was extra special too cause Montreal never looked back after that.

Oh and another one was the call from Jacques Demers to check Marty McSorley stick (I think it was him) to see if it was legal. Last minutes of the game 2 in the finals and Desjardin scores to tie the game. Then he scores to win it in overtime for the hat trick. Good call if not made we would of lost game two and might not have been able to come back.

Leclair was also big time hero in that series.

Ahh there are so many now that I think of it I could go on and on.

Old
07-21-2004, 08:08 AM
larue*

Quote:
There has been a thred about your favorite past/ and present Habs, and another one on the worst habs player, and the worst line-up of the last 10 years.

Now try to name your favorite Hab player who once was a hero for one game, or a short period. It have to be a player who usually don't get a special attention from the fans or the medias.

They showed at rds one game of the Habs-Flames finals in '86. Gaston Gingras scored with a blasting slapshot from the blue line. Gaston's slap-shot was a monster, he's one of my favorite hero for one game.

Another one is Mike DiPietro who scored 3 goals in one game of the '93 series. A pure one-game hero.
Also in my list: Sergei Zholtok who did well when he take the #1 center (or #2 center) when Koivu was injured. That was in 98-99 winter.
Also the replacement of Zholtoc: Kilger did pretty well after he was acquired by a trade.
Also in '93: Gilbert Dionne with his goal in overtime (a deflection, he showed to the referees he sensed the puck deflecting on his stick).

Okay I'll stop, I want to leave you some players for you too.

... what a long summer, nothing to talk about. The only time when these threads are relevants. Time to sign Kovy!
Oh okay I got you now. Sorry I just got carried away reminicing the past.

Did Stephan Lebeau not score a huge overtime goal in '93. Cant remember against who or when?

Other than that I am drawing a blank here.

Old
07-21-2004, 08:22 AM
Heavy D

Quote:
Originally Posted by larue
Did Stephan Lebeau not score a huge overtime goal in '93. Cant remember against who or when?
Yup, I believe it was game two against the Islanders in the conference finals. Damphousse gained the blue line and dropped a pretty feed to Lebeau who rifled a slapshot over Glenn Healy's glove. Perhaps that was Healey's first indication that he wasn't a number one goaltender and should start fantasizing about the 700lb line instead.

Old
07-21-2004, 08:42 AM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Quote:
As for the topic, there are quite a few dramatic goals in Habs history, but I'll have to go with Claude Lemieux in overtime 'gainst Hartford in game 7, cup run 1986....what a climax (for us) that goal was.
I would have like to said it first but this is THE GOAL !!!!!

Without THIS goal, we never would have won THE CUP in 86

Old
07-21-2004, 08:44 AM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo
If this is our ''climax'' moment, we have a boring franchise. Hopefully I already remember a THOUSAND more GREAT GOALS

Old
07-21-2004, 08:45 AM
Jacques Strappe

I know you're looking for unsung heroes, but one of my favourite memories (now my memory's not great - so the timeline may be questioned) comes from a game in the 85-86 season.
Habs vs. Islanders
A very young Patrick Roy goes to the backboards to play a puck and Brian Trottier comes in at full speed, leaves his feet and crushes Roy (maybe I'm exaggerating ). Anyway, within seconds Larry Robinson is on Trottier and pummeling the living crap out of him.(maybe I'm exaggerating again, but it's how I remember it ) That was great to see on a number of levels:

1) In the 80's the Isles were the team to hate (for me at least)
2) I really hated Trottier...AND Nystrom...AND Gillies...AND Smith...(I liked Bossy tho')
3) Big Bird was one of the all-time greatest D-men and my all-time favourite Hab, played hard but fair, could crush opponents , but rarely fought. I doubt if he'd register 40 PIM's per season. But on that night this Gentle Giant was anything but as he came to the rescue of his young goalie. Some of our current players could learn a thing or two from this...

Anyway, I know it's not exactly what you were looking for. But to me this was a different Larry Robinson - one rarely seen, and is worth mentioning.

BTW - if anybody remembers this incident more clearly than I (God I have an awful memory ), please feel free to correct my errors.

Old
07-21-2004, 08:49 AM
eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo
I'll go with this one it's the most recent one game hero I can remember. It was nice though Langdon's a good guy, all the players like him, he hadn't scored in ages and then he popped one in at an important time in a game during the playoffs, it was pretty nice to see.

Closed Thread