HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

That's our freakin' Cup...

Old
06-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 50
Bruin's fan here...I wanted the cup back in Boston since 1972...

I have been a fan for over 50 years and a ST for 10.

Feels great ! Never expected the B's to win this season (especially without Marc Savard).

As a B's fan I have to say we felt much love from the Hawk fans...maybe because of the hate of the Nucks

Come to think of it many fans from all the NHL (except Vancouver and most of the Hab fans) were cheering on Boston. I was surprised.

I dislike several players on the Nucks now.

I try to get to an away game each season. Hope to make it to Chicago some year.

See you at a game sometime.

06-17-2011, 11:35 PM
Gurth

vCash: 500
Unless we add some grit, we'll be watching someone else hoist it.

Vancouver hammered us physically and Boston hammered them.

Stallberg especially and other softies must be replaced.

Gurth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:37 PM
Gurth

Oh yeah and all props to Boston. It's their Cup right now and they earned it.

Also, thankfully Vancouver didn't win it. Biggest d-bag team I've seen in a long time.

Gurth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 01:18 PM
icekoob

I'm just glad the Nucks didn't win it. I also have been more optimistic for next year than ever before. Hopefully not disappointed. Also hoping we pick up at least one good depth player.

icekoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 01:57 PM
pokerandpucks
Rookie User

It's easy to build a Cup team when you suck for as long as the Hawks did as long as you have reasonably competent people running the draft. It's a lot harder to maintain that success long term. They need 5 or 6 forwards and another defenseman and have 7 or 8 million in cap space to get those players depending on how much the cap goes up. Nobody would take Campbell in a trade to get cap relief, so the only realistic options there are Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith, and Seabrook, and losing any of them would hurt the chances of the Cup coming back to Chicago anytime soon. Unless there are some kids coming up next year, that forward unit isn't going to win the Cup and there isn't enough money available to bring depth in.

But at least they won one Cup since the lockout, which is better than most teams can say.

pokerandpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerandpucks View Post
It's easy to build a Cup team when you suck for as long as the Hawks did as long as you have reasonably competent people running the draft. It's a lot harder to maintain that success long term. They need 5 or 6 forwards and another defenseman and have 7 or 8 million in cap space to get those players depending on how much the cap goes up. Nobody would take Campbell in a trade to get cap relief, so the only realistic options there are Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith, and Seabrook, and losing any of them would hurt the chances of the Cup coming back to Chicago anytime soon. Unless there are some kids coming up next year, that forward unit isn't going to win the Cup and there isn't enough money available to bring depth in.

But at least they won one Cup since the lockout, which is better than most teams can say.

If it was that "easy" it'd be happening all the time. Pittsburgh managed to do it and the Hawks have. There are plenty of other teams that have been bottom dwelling and struggling consecutive years in the past and they haven't managed to do it. It isn't "easy", and clearly even first round picks can be flops.

Like everyone outside of Chicago commonly does, they don't look at all the mid-lower round draft pics they drafted and developed to be part of the Cup winning team and part of the current make up, or the trades that happened to bring people in to do so. All anyone looks at is Kane and Toews. Well it took a lot more than Kane and Toews to get to where they are right now. You can do your own research and see where everyone from last year's team and even the year before came from and where they were drafted. Lots of lower round guys and even free agent rookie signings of guys that were undrafted. Most Hawks fans are tired of having to lay it all out cuz it's such a tired argument.

As for going forward, once again, people outside of a fanbase tend to know nothing about that teams prospects. Hawks have a lot of young talent coming through the pipeline, some even seen last year in guys like Morin and Smith, and there are more on the way and they've accumulated a lot of draft pics in trades the past year or two and based on what I've seen in the past few years I'm confident in this staff as far as scouting and drafting and development. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you're a Wings fan, and one who seems to think only the Wings are capable of having an organization capable of long term success through good drafting and smart decisions. It gets old,and time will prove they're not the only organization capable of it. This team has a great core in place, has some kids developing in the system and has an intelligent staff in place to make wise free agent acquisitions and trades. They're going to be just fine.

Blue Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 02:45 PM
BlackHawkeye*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerandpucks View Post

We ought to sign more 42 year olds like the wings. That would really be great for our future, right?

BlackHawkeye* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 03:11 PM
pokerandpucks
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawkeye View Post
We ought to sign more 42 year olds like the wings. That would really be great for our future, right?
If the 42 year old is a Norris finalist then yeah, that might be a good idea.

How many forwards do they have that are going to be ready to contribute next season? They need 4 just to fill out the lineup, plus another one or 2 spares, and not much money to sign anyone decent.

They sucked, they got some great young players by drafting well, which not a lot of teams do, and had a good run until a couple of bad contracts started biting them in the ass. I'm actually impressed that they got so good so fast. Now everyone is Chicago is finding out how hard it is to maintain that level of success. As long as Stan learned from Scotty, they have a chance to win another one in the next few eyars, but I don't think that 11-12 is the year. In the meantime you're still one up on the perpetual "this is our year" Sharks.

Old
06-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

you sure have no clue what you are talking about.

Hawks had a bad cup hangover and still get 97 points
Hawks had a bad year and still got the western conf champs to a game 7 while 2 core players were out due to injury for 3 games each

Last 3 years in PO series
Hawks 6 series wins -2 losses
Wings 5-3

Hawks Cups 1
Wings Cups 0

Next year I take out the 09 season because a lot of things change in 3 years. And now we are tired of stuff like this so get the **** out of here

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

It's entertaining to see a Wings fan trying to tell us how our team's future looks bleak... deliciously ironic.

Chris Hansen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 07:32 PM
pokerandpucks
Rookie User

We'll see which team wins another Cup first. Just remember, people have been predicting the Wings collapse for years and it hasn't happened yet, they just reload. All I know is that Detroit has a ton of money coming off the cap in the next couple years and the Hawks have a ton of it tied up in a handful of players.

Old
06-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Lest we forget that the Red Wings went through a similar 'sucking for a long time' phase and drafted Steve Yzerman 4th overall.

It's ironic that the things you're bashing the Hawks for, the Wings have done too. You have a great organization now, no doubt, but get off your high-horse and stand eye-level with the rest of us. Your organization is not and has not been impervious to periods of bad play.

People keep 'predicting' the downfall of the Wings for a while now, and they likely won't fall for a while. But trust me, the day will come as long as there's a salary cap and I hope that on that day, you realize how pompous you sound.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Steve Passless*

Is this Gibson Cup?

Steve Passless* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 03:25 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Passless View Post
Is this Gibson Cup?
would be his 3rd account, right?

Old
06-19-2011, 09:08 AM
sawchuklives
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggaduck View Post
Anyone else feel like this? I really believe next season is gonna be one for the ages. Maybe I'm just delusional due to my love for the Hawks, but I'm so stoked for next season it's ridiculous. Is it really just June? Hawks are gonna come out flying in a few months and get Stanley back where it belongs. Am I right?
Ok, I am not looking for an argument at all here, but I feel I must respond.

I am a Wings fan first and foremost, but I am also a fan of the original six. So I was happy that Chicago won last year and that Boston won this year. But when a Chicago fan says they consider it "their cup", it's obnoxious, particularly when you've won it exactly once since 1961. More importantly, the way your GM structured the team for that one shinning run, he set you up for heartbreak for several years. I mean, you have, what, 15-16 players signed with something like 6-7M of cap space? And you think that will buy you a team that can compete? At the end of the day, you're one key injury away from not making the playoffs. Heck, Chicago backed into the 8 seed this year as it was. So if I was a Chicago fan, I'd have a hard time saying it's "my cup" with a straight face. What I would be is very ticked off at the stupidity of my GM. That Campbell contract is going to haunt for years and years. Kenny Holland drives me insane with some of the things he does, but the fact is, he's built a consistent winner the right way. I mean, to need to park an NHL goalie in the minors, to darn near miss the cutoff to make offers to his RFAs a couple years ago...these are the moves of a quality GM? I respect what the Hawks did last year and I am glad you are excited for next season. But if I were you I'd take a hard look at what can actually be put on that roster with the cap space you have. It's not pretty at all.

sawchuklives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

the future in Chicago is better than ever. Everybody is signed, our GM does a good job and the players that need a contract have a contract.

now get the **** out of our section on HF

Old
06-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawchuklives View Post

I am a Wings fan first and foremost, but I am also a fan of the original six. So I was happy that Chicago won last year and that Boston won this year. But when a Chicago fan says they consider it "their cup", it's obnoxious, particularly when you've won it exactly once since 1961. More importantly, the way your GM structured the team for that one shinning run, he set you up for heartbreak for several years. I mean, you have, what, 15-16 players signed with something like 6-7M of cap space? And you think that will buy you a team that can compete? At the end of the day, you're one key injury away from not making the playoffs. Heck, Chicago backed into the 8 seed this year as it was. So if I was a Chicago fan, I'd have a hard time saying it's "my cup" with a straight face. What I would be is very ticked off at the stupidity of my GM. That Campbell contract is going to haunt for years and years. Kenny Holland drives me insane with some of the things he does, but the fact is, he's built a consistent winner the right way. I mean, to need to park an NHL goalie in the minors, to darn near miss the cutoff to make offers to his RFAs a couple years ago...these are the moves of a quality GM? I respect what the Hawks did last year and I am glad you are excited for next season. But if I were you I'd take a hard look at what can actually be put on that roster with the cap space you have. It's not pretty at all.
First and foremost, welcome to HFBoards.

Secondly, I think if you read through this thread... there's only been one poster who feels that it's 'our' cup. Everyone else acknowledges the Bruins as the Cup winners and their rightful place to say that it's theirs. So this whole post seems to be riding off of that 'obnoxiousness' that you've observed and anger towards Chicago.

Besides all of that, I don't think that the OP literally meant that it's our cup or that we have some sort of right to it... I think he was speaking more towards how weird it is to see the cup going to a different team. I don't think that's obnoxious or arrogant at all... just weird.

I'd say nicknaming your city "hockeytown" is a bit obnoxious, if you ask me. You have cities like Montreal and Toronto who live and breathe hockey, and have monumentous accolades... yet the city who cares more about the Tigers and Michigan State/U of M until the NHL playoffs are on gets the title "hockeytown"? Seriously?

Anyway, I digress... if the Hawks are only one key injury away from not making the playoffs next year, then how in the hell did we miss last year? We were out Bolland and Hossa for a good chunk of the season (2 key injuries), and had guys like Cullimore, Boynton, Pisani, Scott and Turco in our line-up regularly.

You can say all you want about us not being able to do much with the cap space we have... but in reality, I think you find what you look for. Maybe Hawks fans are investing too much into next season and maybe you're looking for ways to see this team as poorly constructed as possible... it's a two-way street.

Now please, get the hell off our boards... because even though you tried to appear considerate and non-abrasive, you ended up writing condescending and backhanded insults about our team and fanbase.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:22 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_me? View Post
Best thing is that Vancouver will have had a short summer.
and they have Luongo for 11 more years.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:34 AM
Sarava

Quote:

Strange that a Wings fan would sign up for HF and make his first post in the Blackhawks forum.

Anyway, Ken Holland sure has done some great things in Detroit. From the outside the magic appears to be wearing off though. Your team is aging and your system has not been producing adequete replacements for these guys as they get up there in years. Personally I don't view Detroit as a big cup threat. Yeah they will make the playoffs and yeah they may win a round or two. I just don't see a cup win happening anytime soon.

It's great that you guys have all this cap space now, but there's no Marian Hossa's on the free agent market like there was for the Hawks a few years ago, nor are your young players good enough to demand a significant contract.

I think the question now is - can Detroit excel with drafting now that every team has a heavy scouting presence in Sweden and other far away areas? So far the answer looks like no.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:37 AM
madgoat33

I don't understand how a redwings fan is in here preaching about how bad of shape the hawks are in for the future. Is he maybe upset that the hawks are clearly going to better than the wings for the forseeable future?

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
First and foremost, welcome to HFBoards.

Secondly, I think if you read through this thread... there's only been one poster who feels that it's 'our' cup. Everyone else acknowledges the Bruins as the Cup winners and their rightful place to say that it's theirs. So this whole post seems to be riding off of that 'obnoxiousness' that you've observed and anger towards Chicago.

Besides all of that, I don't think that the OP literally meant that it's our cup or that we have some sort of right to it... I think he was speaking more towards how weird it is to see the cup going to a different team. I don't think that's obnoxious or arrogant at all... just weird.

I'd say nicknaming your city "hockeytown" is a bit obnoxious, if you ask me. You have cities like Montreal and Toronto who live and breathe hockey, and have monumentous accolades... yet the city who cares more about the Tigers and Michigan State/U of M until the NHL playoffs are on gets the title "hockeytown"? Seriously?

Anyway, I digress... if the Hawks are only one key injury away from not making the playoffs next year, then how in the hell did we miss last year? We were out Bolland and Hossa for a good chunk of the season (2 key injuries), and had guys like Cullimore, Boynton, Pisani, Scott and Turco in our line-up regularly.

You can say all you want about us not being able to do much with the cap space we have... but in reality, I think you find what you look for. Maybe Hawks fans are investing too much into next season and maybe you're looking for ways to see this team as poorly constructed as possible... it's a two-way street.

Now please, get the hell off our boards... because even though you tried to appear considerate and non-abrasive, you ended up writing condescending and backhanded insults about our team and fanbase.
Fantastic post.

Chris Hansen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Steve Passless*

Kane was out for five or six games, and I'd contend that any Patrick Kane injury is a major injury.

Steve Passless* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:37 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:

Ahh, people with no knowledge still thinking we have cap issues. Gotta love them

BTW dude...

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Cullksinikers

That chant makes our fans sound stupid when we're not playing Detroit.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:44 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
When it's chanted at a game not against Detroit I get annoyed. When it's chanted in the streets after winning the Stanley Cup, it's pretty awesome.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote