HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

That's our freakin' Cup...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-19-2011, 10:45 PM
  #51
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,525
vCash: 500
I guess you're right on that one.

Cullksinikers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:19 PM
  #52
icKx
What now?
 
icKx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
I'd say nicknaming your city "hockeytown" is a bit obnoxious, if you ask me. You have cities like Montreal and Toronto who live and breathe hockey, and have monumentous accolades... yet the city who cares more about the Tigers and Michigan State/U of M until the NHL playoffs are on gets the title "hockeytown"? Seriously?
The fans had nothing to do with it. "Hockeytown" is a marketing gimmick and a damn good one at that.

Funny how it doesn't bother Montreal and Toronto nearly as much as fans those teams who got kicked around by the Wings for a number of years.

And yeah the Tigers are indeed way more popular. I was downtown just the other day and Comerica Park was packed while Joe Louis Arena was completely empty! How embarrassing!

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:39 PM
  #53
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
 
Jeffrey Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Side
Country: United States
Posts: 5,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
The fans had nothing to do with it. "Hockeytown" is a marketing gimmick and a damn good one at that.

Funny how it doesn't bother Montreal and Toronto nearly as much as fans those teams who got kicked around by the Wings for a number of years.

And yeah the Tigers are indeed way more popular. I was downtown just the other day and Comerica Park was packed while Joe Louis Arena was completely empty! How embarrassing!
At least you're big enough to admit that 'Hockeytown' is a marketing gimmick instead of a reality... because it certainly doesn't appear that way whenever I'm there. Say one thing that contradicts popular opinion and suddenly it's "We've won 11 cups!" and "We're Hockeytown, dammit!" and "People have been predicting our downfall for years...".

Honestly, the title of "Hockeytown" doesn't really bother us here in Chicago. In fact, I don't think I've once heard someone complain about it or even really bring it up. I just mentioned it because I thought it was obnoxious and a bit silly... and since the previous poster implied that Chicagoans were "obnoxious" and silly for a comment that was taken a bit too literally (while everyone else pointed to the contrary), I thought it was fitting.

I go through Detroit at least once every couple months (closer to once a month), and more like every week or two in the summer for the past 5 years. If there's one thing I've learned... it's that the Red Wings aren't as popular you would think (if you didn't live in the area... of course you think they're popular if you live in there). I listen to The Ticket frequently when I'm out there (my girlfriend's dad always has it on) and the Red Wings are really only the most important topic when the playoffs are either impending or are happening at the time. Other than that, it's all about the Tigers and U of M/Michigan State.

Everyone seems to love to talk about how they love the Red Wings and have stickers on their bumpers and windows of their truck and will even fly a Red Wings flag on their house... but when you talk to them about their team, they're virtually clueless as to what's going on with their team in the regular season. Then they come out in droves when the playoffs start.

This, of course, is from my numerous years visiting and staying in Detroit and surrounding areas... so maybe I don't see the 'real' fans. I've been treated very well when I go out there and have been to several games at the Joe and have never had a bad experience. However, it's my opinion that people are more familiar with the Tigers or college football than the Red Wings (unless it's April).

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:33 AM
  #54
icKx
What now?
 
icKx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
I go through Detroit at least once every couple months (closer to once a month), and more like every week or two in the summer for the past 5 years. If there's one thing I've learned... it's that the Red Wings aren't as popular you would think (if you didn't live in the area... of course you think they're popular if you live in there). I listen to The Ticket frequently when I'm out there (my girlfriend's dad always has it on) and the Red Wings are really only the most important topic when the playoffs are either impending or are happening at the time. Other than that, it's all about the Tigers and U of M/Michigan State.
I listen to 97.1 The Ticket daily and I'll agree that the Wings are rarely a featured topic but as afternoon host Mike Valenti frequently comments: 'What's there for me to talk about? All the Wings do is win.'

Even when we have had struggles recently the cause was obviously injuries, a subject which makes for pretty boring radio. Combine that with the fact that Holland is a rather conservative GM and isn't prone to making big moves (we've had a real lack of action in recent off-seasons) there just isn't much in the way of juicy hockey talk aside from Lidstrom retirement speculation.

Hell, now that Howard is the unquestionable #1 and proved himself in the playoffs I might no longer even enjoy my seasonal dose of 'get rid of Osbad!' goaltending ****storms
Quote:
Everyone seems to love to talk about how they love the Red Wings and have stickers on their bumpers and windows of their truck and will even fly a Red Wings flag on their house... but when you talk to them about their team, they're virtually clueless as to what's going on with their team in the regular season. Then they come out in droves when the playoffs start.
I think that's an unfair jab for two reasons: the Wings have phenomenal regular season attendance numbers and secondly, in my opinion 90% of fans of any team in any sport are casuals (that's why sites like this thrive as a format for fellow die-hards to connect with each other).

Quote:
This, of course, is from my numerous years visiting and staying in Detroit and surrounding areas... so maybe I don't see the 'real' fans. I've been treated very well when I go out there and have been to several games at the Joe and have never had a bad experience. However, it's my opinion that people are more familiar with the Tigers or college football than the Red Wings (unless it's April).
Tigers don't really enter into the equation for me since they don't play at the same time as the Wings. Really it's the Lions that see a glut of attention - no surprise, NFL football trumps everything else in any city with a team; 'Hockeytown' is no exception.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:52 AM
  #55
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
 
Jeffrey Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Side
Country: United States
Posts: 5,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
I listen to 97.1 The Ticket daily and I'll agree that the Wings are rarely a featured topic but as afternoon host Mike Valenti frequently comments: 'What's there for me to talk about? All the Wings do is win.'
Fair enough, but it's not like the Red Wings fans have had any shortage of interesting topics to discuss: Potential Lidstrom/Rafalski retirements (one of which has been confirmed), injuries to big name guys thoughout the seasons, Howard failing/succeeding, Hudler leaving for Russia and coming back, emergence of Helm/Abby, potential Illitch purchase of land and subsequent construction for new stadium, attendance spikes/drops, back-to-back cup finals against the same team, Stuart overpaid?, where does Filppula fit as a player in Detroit?, Modano signing, Salei and Lebda sucking, Datsyuk almost breaking 100 point barrier twice, questionable Holmstrom penalties... I could go on forever.

I legitimately feel that all of those things have plenty of levels to discuss... and I can almost guarantee that there is a wide variance of opinions amongst greater Detroit Wings fans.

It's not like it's the same story year after year (aka- 'winning') and you'd think that with a team so great, a lot of people would want to talk about it.

Instead, all I hear about is the Tigers, U of M/Michigan State and tidbits about the Lions. I can't recall hearing much about the Pistons ever.

Quote:
Even when we have had struggles recently the cause was obviously injuries, a subject which makes for pretty boring radio. Combine that with the fact that Holland is a rather conservative GM and isn't prone to making big moves (we've had a real lack of action in recent off-seasons) there just isn't much in the way of juicy hockey talk aside from Lidstrom retirement speculation.
See my response above. I feel that there's plenty of hockey talk to be had aside from Lidstrom speculation... especially when I hear some of the things they talk about. Besides, injuries lead to roster speculation and the possibility of seeing some Grand Rapids players. I mean, weren't you pumped when Mursak got called up and you could finally see (unless you've watched them in Grand Rapids or on TV... not sure if they broadcast GRG games) him play in the NHL?

Quote:
Hell, now that Howard is the unquestionable #1 and proved himself in the playoffs I might no longer even enjoy my seasonal dose of 'get rid of Osbad!' goaltending ****storms


Oddly enough, I rarely ever hear anything negative about Osgood when I talk with the natives.


Quote:
I think that's an unfair jab for two reasons: the Wings have phenomenal regular season attendance numbers and secondly, in my opinion 90% of fans of any team in any sport are casuals (that's why sites like this thrive as a format for fellow die-hards to connect with each other).
An unfair jab, huh? Unlike your comment about the Red Wings kicking around the Hawks for years?

Actually, if you look at attendance records... Detroit's been slipping.

In my opinion, 93% of statistics are made up. I think that your "90% of fans of any team in any sport are casuals" has no bearing on what we're talking about. There are casual fans and there are die-hard fans, sure. Maybe I've only talked to and listened to casual fans talk about the Red Wings over the years... I acknowledged that.

Quote:
Tigers don't really enter into the equation for me since they don't play at the same time as the Wings. Really it's the Lions that see a glut of attention - no surprise, NFL football trumps everything else in any city with a team; 'Hockeytown' is no exception.
Exactly my point... hence my unfair jab at the term 'Hockeytown'. He insinuated that Hawks fans were 'obnoxious' and silly because he took one person's post too literally, to which I replied that the term 'Hockeytown' is silly and obnoxious because even in 'Hockeytown', football trumps every other sport there (even College ball, it seems).

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:01 PM
  #56
Blue Liner
Registered User
 
Blue Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
I think that's an unfair jab for two reasons: the Wings have phenomenal regular season attendance numbers and secondly, in my opinion 90% of fans of any team in any sport are casuals (that's why sites like this thrive as a format for fellow die-hards to connect with each other).
Honest question, not trying to screw with you; I've watched a lot of games in Detroit over the past couple years because I've had the Center Ice Package. At least during the regular season I see a lotof empty seats for games, and again, I do watch a fair amount of Wings games. Are those seats sold and people just don't show up or what's the deal? That's the only thing I can surmise if you say they have phenomenal regular season attendance, meaning tickets sold say the numbers are great on paper, but I don't see people in the seats. What's the deal there? I've always wondered because I'll even hear them say on broadcasts "another sellout" and I see lots and lots of empty seats. Not a few scattered ones suggested a paid no-show, someone up in the restroom or getting food, hanging out in the concourse, etc....so just wondering what's up with that.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:12 PM
  #57
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
That chant makes our fans sound stupid when we're not playing Detroit.
Do you not have any Chicago blood flowing through your veins at all? The 'Detroit sucks' chant is a tradition that goes back decades.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:24 PM
  #58
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 25,662
vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Do you not have any Chicago blood flowing through your veins at all? The 'Detroit sucks' chant is a tradition that goes back decades.
And you wonder why that rivalry is basically dead compared to what it was even only 9 or 10 years ago. New fans prefer to take tradition as an insult to their fanhood rather than as something important they need to carry on.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:28 PM
  #59
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Do you not have any Chicago blood flowing through your veins at all? The 'Detroit sucks' chant is a tradition that goes back decades.
He's 100% right. Chanting "Detroit Sucks" when the Hawks are playing the Oilers is ridiculously stupid.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:29 PM
  #60
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 25,662
vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
I don't understand how a redwings fan is in here preaching about how bad of shape the hawks are in for the future. Is he maybe upset that the hawks are clearly going to better than the wings for the forseeable future?
Yep, you nailed it right on the head. Hawks are where the Wings were back in 96-97 and they know it. It something to be very proud of as a Hawk fan but at the same time something to be very jealous of if you are a bitter rival.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:33 PM
  #61
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
He's 100% right. Chanting "Detroit Sucks" when the Hawks are playing the Oilers is ridiculously stupid.
I find it funny. But I have memories from the 80s and 90s of the Hawks/wings rivalry, where some of the posters here may not have even been born yet.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:36 PM
  #62
Gurth
Registered User
 
Gurth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Madison
Country: United States
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Do you not have any Chicago blood flowing through your veins at all? The 'Detroit sucks' chant is a tradition that goes back decades.
I don't remember it in the eighties or early nineties. Back then Detroit did actually suck and the North Stars were a bigger rival.

Either way, it smacks of a severe inferiority complex that should no longer exist.

It's tired and a relic of our dark years and should die.

Gurth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:45 PM
  #63
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,525
vCash: 500
I scream that chant at Hawks/Wings games, but I find it dumb when the Wings aren't in town and the UC is chanting it.

Cullksinikers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:50 PM
  #64
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I find it funny. But I have memories from the 80s and 90s of the Hawks/wings rivalry, where some of the posters here may not have even been born yet.
Bringing in that "card" is a little silly, considering most of the people who chant it at games where the Hawks aren't playing the Wings aren't even out of college.

Pro tip, man... we're all fans of the same team here. No need to throw that little jab in there

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:10 PM
  #65
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,525
vCash: 500
He dislikes me. I'm a Packers fan.

Cullksinikers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:33 PM
  #66
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
He dislikes me. I'm a Packers fan.
The world is governed by hate rather than friendship... depressing indeed.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:43 AM
  #67
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
He dislikes me. I'm a Packers fan.
Nah you just weren't around for the AHwks/Wings rivalry. it's not your fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurth View Post
I don't remember it in the eighties or early nineties. Back then Detroit did actually suck and the North Stars were a bigger rival.

Either way, it smacks of a severe inferiority complex that should no longer exist.

It's tired and a relic of our dark years and should die.
Umm did you go to any Wings games at the stadium? Seriously it wasn't even close. There were always tons of Wings fans at games (which couldn't be said about Northstar fans for games against them), even when they sucked. There were always a ridiculous amount of fights. And you could usually count on seeing one all female Hawks vs. Wings fan fight sometime during the game.

The rivalry has certainly died out. It's now to the point where many fans hate the Canucks more than the Wings.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:47 AM
  #68
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurth View Post
I don't remember it in the eighties or early nineties. Back then Detroit did actually suck and the North Stars were a bigger rival.

Either way, it smacks of a severe inferiority complex that should no longer exist.

It's tired and a relic of our dark years and should die.
there weren't a ton of northstar fans that camer down to the Stadium for games against the Hawks. Hell they had enough trouble filling the Met Center.

The Wings on the other hand...the amount of fights were crazy between Hawk and Wing fans. Often times they were females fighting too. Funny memories.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 03:08 AM
  #69
Gurth
Registered User
 
Gurth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Madison
Country: United States
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post

Umm did you go to any Wings games at the stadium? Seriously it wasn't even close. There were always tons of Wings fans at games (which couldn't be said about Northstar fans for games against them), even when they sucked. There were always a ridiculous amount of fights. And you could usually count on seeing one all female Hawks vs. Wings fan fight sometime during the game.

The rivalry has certainly died out. It's now to the point where many fans hate the Canucks more than the Wings.
Ummm, I was around for games against Detroit at that time. In fact, my last game at the old stadium in its final year was against them. I remember some sort of cake being brought out on the ice with sparklers to somehow celebrate something or other about the old barn.

Anyway, there must have been 5000 of their fans there and they beat us like 5-1 I think. What I don't remember at all from that era is the entire stadium chanting "Detroit Sucks."

The earliest I can remember that is maybe the late 90s when we were in serious decline and they were winning Cups.

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I was responding to the idea that the chant itself goes back decades. I don't remember it.

Either way, some fans' single-minded fixation on Detroit seems odd to me after we've won a Cup and they are now in decline. A new rival will emerge.


As a side, I hated Vancouver more this year than them and I still hate the North Stars more than them, even though they no longer exist as such.

Gurth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:35 AM
  #70
Blue Liner
Registered User
 
Blue Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Nah you just weren't around for the AHwks/Wings rivalry. it's not your fault.



Umm did you go to any Wings games at the stadium? Seriously it wasn't even close. There were always tons of Wings fans at games (which couldn't be said about Northstar fans for games against them), even when they sucked. There were always a ridiculous amount of fights. And you could usually count on seeing one all female Hawks vs. Wings fan fight sometime during the game.

The rivalry has certainly died out. It's now to the point where many fans hate the Canucks more than the Wings.
Count me among them. I'm old enough to remember the legit hate between the Hawks and Wings and even the Stars. We had season tickets from around '84-'91. While I still have a strong dislike for the Wings, I have a legitimate hate for the Canucks that's been born from the past three seasons of playoff matchups and nasty regular season matchups. It isn't one of those fabricated rivalries, it isn't one born from geography, and it isn't one that's in place because the teams have been playing each other for 80 years. Even most of the current players acknowledge the same. I know Toews has said they don't like the Wings and they acknowledge that rivalry and its history, but they truly, truly hate the Canucks. You don't see rivalries like that spurn too often nowadays, especially outside of hockey. It happens, but not that often. While not as nasty as the Avs-Wings of the late 90's, it has a familiar kind of feel to it. The Hawks and Wings will always have a rivalry which with both teams being competitive and in the same division I think will pick up some steam from here on out, (especially if both teams can remain healthy and really battle for the division title) but I hate no team in any sport like I hate the Canucks. None.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:57 AM
  #71
who_me?
Registered User
 
who_me?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
That chant makes our fans sound stupid when we're not playing Detroit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
He's 100% right. Chanting "Detroit Sucks" when the Hawks are playing the Oilers is ridiculously stupid.
Somewhere, somehow, a Wangs fan is watching the game, guaranteed. Therefore it makes perfect sense to do so.

who_me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.