Feaster Blasts Flames Prospects for Lacklustre Performance

Old
09-09-2013, 02:17 AM
StreakingRed

vCash: 500
Feaster Blasts Flames Prospects for Lacklustre Performance

As per the Herald:

Quote:
“Obviously, a difficult way to end,” said Feaster. “I asked (coach Troy Ward), ‘Is it an organizational disease? What is it?’ We have to find a way to eliminate it. This has been the M.O. since I’ve been in Calgary — win a couple of games and then we decide we can just throw the sweaters out (on the ice).

“We played 20 minutes. We had a chance to leave here with three wins. That would have been good. For 40 minutes we just played shinny. And I don’t understand it. It’s not unique to this group. Unfortunately, it’s something that happens with the big club, too.”

Quote:
“It is important,” countered Feaster. “I’m trying to figure it out. Something in the water? Something in the sweater? What is it? Again, it just isn’t this group. I’ve watched it. This will be my fourth season in Calgary . . . I’ve watched it for three years at the NHL level. We win a couple of games . . . then we decide it’s going to be simple, that everybody ought to quake because they’re going to play the Calgary Flames.

“I want that mentality knocked out right away.”

Lovin' it.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 02:31 AM
tmurfin
So Good! Mony Mony!

vCash: 187
Good.. The team as a whole played uninterested and disorganized for the first two periods, even though it's just a prospect tourny, the whole team can't just give up.

I've been backing Sven for taking it easy, I understand that, he hasn't played enough to make a huge difference anyways. But the rest of the guys? You'd think there would be more urgency to earn a spot in the organization.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 06:22 AM
Gary83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
Good.. The team as a whole played uninterested and disorganized for the first two periods, even though it's just a prospect tourny, the whole team can't just give up.

I've been backing Sven for taking it easy, I understand that, he hasn't played enough to make a huge difference anyways. But the rest of the guys? You'd think there would be more urgency to earn a spot in the organization.
But Sven should be looked to as one of the leaders here. I've backed Sven through thick and thin, but that's a bad example to set, no matter if it's his choice or the choice of the coaching staff. He should be looked to as one of the leaders in a tournament like this.

I think Feaster has a legitimate point, I just don't think it necessarily applies to this tournament, but moreso what the Calgary Flames have been the past 3-4 years.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 06:22 AM
Mike Jones

Feaster seems to be trying to channel his inner Burke here. He's even hinting about a western version of the Blue and White disease Burke talked about when he first went to Toronto.

I hope he finds his voice pretty soon because he's being a little obvious now and his timing isn't great. From what I've seen of these tournaments so far there seems to be a psychology to them that would lend to this kind of final game performance. The tournament is almost done, these kids (And they are kids - many of us keep forgetting this) are looking ahead to their full time commitments later this week, they're facing career-type decisions, etc etc. It's Mulligan time.

If I were uncle Feaster and his genius AHL coaches I'd cut the kids some slack, deal with matters internally for now (There must be one-on-one interviews at some point of this rookie camp process - address potential problems then and there) and sent them on their merry ways.

Feaster needs to focus on the main camp later this week. Besides, I thought they had a player development director to deliver the public messages like that.

Last edited by Mike Jones; 09-09-2013 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: One more thing!
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 08:30 AM
shaner89

From the article

Plenty of rookies flourished — Markus Granlund, Michael Ferland, John Ramage, Joni Ortio, Sean Monahan, Emile Poirier, Max Reinhart.

To that, Feaster added the names of Josh Jooris and Keegan Kanzig, a six-foot-six, 240-pounder who fought twice during the tournament.

Love to see Jooris mentioned. He has been so solid. 2 points and not only that, his hockey IQ is really showing. Just such a smart player. Hope he continues in the exhibition games.

shaner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 09:50 AM
TylerSVT*

No problem with him calling out the bad performance, team needs to know that a win isnt expected every night, but 100% effort is. Grind it into them now and they will play that way when we are running for a cup.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 10:27 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
No problem with him calling out the bad performance, team needs to know that a win isnt expected every night, but 100% effort is. Grind it into them now and they will play that way when we are running for a cup.
Yeah but if you yell and scream about little stuff too often pretty soon the players tune you out and when something really important happens you're hooped.

"Oh that's just Jay trying to impress his new boss."

BTW - I wonder what potential free agents and unsigned prospects think of this. Is Gaudreau, for example sitting in Boston thinking "Wow - I do not want to go anywhere near that nuthouse."?

Old
09-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Skates like a deer

vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
Yeah but if you yell and scream about little stuff too often pretty soon the players tune you out and when something really important happens you're hooped.

"Oh that's just Jay trying to impress his new boss."

BTW - I wonder what potential free agents and unsigned prospects think of this. Is Gaudreau, for example sitting in Boston thinking "Wow - I do not want to go anywhere near that nuthouse."?
First of all, since when does Feaster have a reputation for this sort of thing? I can honestly not remember any other instance of Feaster calling out the boys, which means they can't have happened that often. Since taking over, Feaster has always been Mr. Positivity. Feaster is thus in the perfect position to make this kind of statement.

Secondly, Gaudreau has had lots of interaction with Feaster up until this point. He was drafted in 2011. That's two years of interaction. This is by no means a first impression. In addition, if you're trying to say that we're going to be scaring away certain free agents because our GM only wants players who put forth effort, then I say GOOD! Any player who doesn't want to work for a GM who puts emphasis on effort and desire is not a player I want wearing the flaming C.

Lastly, you implied that Feaster's statements were those of a nuthouse. Seriously? You think it's crazy for a GM to want his players to play as well as they can? I can't think of many things less crazy than that.

Anglesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 11:02 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Tkachuk = Cowbell

vCash: 2403
Mike Jones you are overreacting.

All week we've heard from management and coaches that they're trying to change the culture here. The GM used the media to deliver his message. He's saying this is what a Calgary Flame needs to be from now on, what's wrong with that? Maybe Burke's moxy did have a little influence on Jay, but that's why Burke was brought in. The Flames need to be a hard team to play against and one that works hard, anything less will get you shipped out of town. I love it!

That's how winning teams are run, I think the changes the Flames have made this offseason have all been fantastic and huge steps towards becoming a model on how to run a top organization. Good on Jay for stepping up.

He also did not just blast the prospects, he said its been happening on the big club since he's been here. He doesn't want the prospects to to think that kind of effort is okay, as to nip it in the bud now. I hope our guys on the big club got the message loud and clear as well.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
Lastly, you implied that Feaster's statements were those of a nuthouse. Seriously? You think it's crazy for a GM to want his players to play as well as they can? I can't think of many things less crazy than that.
I'm saying that it's interesting that Feaster did this after Burke's hiring. And I did say that if it becomes a pattern of behavior people tune out and that doesn't help when the issue is something really important down the road.

You do not call people out like this in public for something so moderately important. You deal with it internally - in the room where it belongs.

Yes there are times when an issue is important enough that you deal with it publically - this ain't it.

So yeah, Feaster should have found another way to state his displeasure - like being an adult and speaking to the players directly.

Old
09-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Mike Jones you are overreacting.
LOL - in my worklife I've seen lots of chicken*** things turn out to be needlessly huge because leaders had no idea what they were doing when it came to managing people.

This is a little thing that could have been handled better and has the potential to bite the leadership later.

Old
09-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Tkachuk = Cowbell

What was Feaster's motive for doing that? Do you really think it was just to do with the prospects?

He was stating this was no longer what a Calgary Flame is going to be. He said it was important, and I believe it was. You need to look at the bigger picture and what was the full intention of his comments.

Old
09-09-2013, 11:11 AM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 107
Quote:
I'm saying that it's interesting that Feaster did this after Burke's hiring. And I did say that if it becomes a pattern of behavior people tune out and that doesn't help when the issue is something really important down the road.

You do not call people out like this in public for something so moderately important. You deal with it internally - in the room where it belongs.

Yes there are times when an issue is important enough that you deal with it publically - this ain't it.

So yeah, Feaster should have found another way to state his displeasure - like being an adult and speaking to the players directly.
Right, because there is no precedent for GM's or Coaches publicly stating that they were frustrated with their teams play.

This team has been country-club for so long I think even the fans have forgotten how most organizations are run. Feasters comments are no different than those of just about any other GM in the NHL.

Now is the time to make this statement, not 20 games into the season, not 1 game into the season.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:

It has nothing to do with the prospects tourney itself, I think he used this as an opportunity to send a message to every single player in the organization, coaching included, that 2 on 1 off is unacceptable and will no longer be tolerated. Good for him and I think good for the organization. I think he wanted the message sent, and this was the first opportunity he got to do so.

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 11:18 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Right, because there is no precedent for GM's or Coaches publicly stating that they were frustrated with their teams play.
At a rookie tournament? Where the team has done well? Calling out guys who have done nothing to foster the country club atmosphere?

Wow.

That's like screaming at kids after a couple of bad innings in a t-ball tournament.

Old
09-09-2013, 11:21 AM
herashak

vCash: 50
Quote:
At a rookie tournament? Where the team has done well? Calling out guys who have done nothing to foster the country club atmosphere?
Thats the mindset as fans we have accepted. 2 wins 1 loss is great. the loss sucks but it doesnt matter we won twice.

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 11:30 AM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 107
Quote:

Wow.

That's like screaming at kids after a couple of bad innings in a t-ball tournament.
He called them out because they decided to not show up last game. Your comparison is bogus.

I didn't know tee-ball players were multi-million dollar investments.

As already stated though, its nothing to specifically do with the prospects tournament itself, its sending a message. These guys are all big boys, they will be fine.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 11:34 AM
MonahanTheMan
Pray for Flames

I really like this, I was frustrated with the team losing to a group of guys we should've rolled over easily, and I think Feaster has the right idea to get it in their heads early that this is not what Calgary is going to be about.

Personally, I also think a lot of these comments were also specifically directed at Baertschi, as he is the face and leader of our prospect pool right now, and good on Feaster for not shying away from it. Baertschi obviously wasn't told to simply take it easy, given his performance in the 3rd period last night. He was just slacking for the rest of the tournament.

MonahanTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 12:33 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
I love this he is clearly setting the tone for camp. All offseason we have been hearing/ talking about Reinhart vs Ekblad but this is a clear message from management to any player that wants to wear the Flaming C and that message is that it is not acceptable to not give 100%. I think will be a big message all year but it is pretty obvious to me that Feaster wants ever player going to camp to know ahead of time that they are expect to give it their all.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Tkachuk = Cowbell

This is why Tangs and Sarich were sent packing. It now starts when these guys are drafted, it is a very important message, being a Flame means you are a player that comes to work prepared to work hard very day. Kudos to Feaster.

Old
09-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Ashasx

I'm glad he's not content with mediocrity.

People always complain that the Flames have simply been a mediocre team from front to back. That, if we make the playoffs, it'd be as a 7th or 8th seed.

Now management has sought out to improve things and people are upset? The Flames' prospect group was far and away the most skilled team that attended this tournament. 3 wins were expected and 2 wins were achieved. Of the 9 periods played, the Flames really only showed up for 5.

This needs to change, and it's been a problem for a while now.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Noori

vCash: 763
Strange because Burke is always about protecting his players. Feaster seemed to do the opposite.

Maybe that's something his like Knight and Bärtschi need to hear going in to main camp.

Possibly trying to assert himself and his position in the wake of the Burke signing?

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Skates like a deer

vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Strange because Burke is always about protecting his players. Feaster seemed to do the opposite.

Maybe that's something his like Knight and Bärtschi need to hear going in to main camp.

Possibly trying to assert himself and his position in the wake of the Burke signing?
Or, possibly, Burke had absolutely nothing to do with it at all.

Anglesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 03:55 PM
StreakingRed

Feaster is bang on with his comments and its no overreaction by any means. Complacency has been an issue with this team for years. It's a new era and this is an issue that needs to be addressed. Stay on these guys before they develop the bad habits of the big club.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 04:16 PM
BVicious

My thoughts exactly. I also didn't really agree with some people saying they told Sven to back off a bit in this tourny. I cannot see the point in him playing the tourny if they asked him to dumb it down. I don't see what that does for him or anyone else on the team. If anything you would think the management would want him to lead by example and play is heart out.

Right now I think Granlund is leading the pack as far as chances to get a regular job on the big club.

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote