HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kolzig Named Assoc. Goaltender Coach, Prior Returns

Old
06-16-2011, 02:47 PM
EroCaps

vCash: 500
Few things would be cooler than Kolzig eventually becoming the Caps' goaltending coach and getting a ring.

I guess spending time with your family is overrated.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 03:29 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Few things would be cooler than Kolzig eventually becoming the Caps' goaltending coach and getting a ring.

I guess spending time with your family is overrated.
What is that word? Is that another word for team?

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 03:37 PM
exwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
I seem to remember a newspaper quote recently about Varly and Prior not getting along and that's part of the reason Irbe was brought in.

I'm sure someone can verify. I'll do a little digging....my wife's friend is friends with Varly's GF. I'll pass along anything I hear.
I don't recall anything ever reported like that. The closest was that when Irbe was hired, it was noted that he spoke Russian and could commute directly with Varlamov, which Prior couldn't do. The idea that Varlamov and Prior didn't get along wasn't even a rumor; Varly wasn't even around long enough for that to happen (remember, Brent Johnson was the backup until his season ended due to surgery, and Varlamov had more starts in the playoffs than he had in the regular season--13 starts v. 6 starts).

Also, Prior's actions seemed to verify the official reason. He consulted with the Capitals for a season, apparently spending most of his time at home, and then started working as a scout for them. That sounds like Prior decided he was burned out and wanted a break, got that break, and realized he missed the game so when Irbe stepped down, he was more than happy to fill in. And I agree with Wiz--this definitely sounds like Kolzig is being groomed to take over the full goalie coaching duties in the near future.

But since some like the drama, try this one....remember that Kolzig complained about Boudreau's handling of him to Mike Wise of the Post. I think it was the only time that Kolzig badmouthed any of his coaches in the press (and that includes Bruce Cassidy). Now, he's going to be coaching with that same coach. Gasp! Drama!

exwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 03:57 PM
Dirtbag59

McPhee and Olie conference call with press. Touch on draft plans
http://capitals.nhl.com/club/podcast...d=41&iid=32188

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

vCash: 50
Listening to Olie's conference call - amateur hour from the Caps staff. Heavy breathing, clowns talking about who's calling and talking, yikes.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 04:30 PM
bonzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I really hope he's one of those guys that can coach as well as he played.
T. Thomas' "linebacker " style of phisical play and Kolizg's..not all that different. Maybe GM going for a little more snarl in the crease ..me likey!

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 04:37 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwhaler View Post
But since some like the drama, try this one....remember that Kolzig complained about Boudreau's handling of him to Mike Wise of the Post. I think it was the only time that Kolzig badmouthed any of his coaches in the press (and that includes Bruce Cassidy). Now, he's going to be coaching with that same coach. Gasp! Drama!
For a year....

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 05:49 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

BB ended Kolzig's career earlier than Kolzig wanted it ended. That's all that was.

06-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Robert Theodorson

Kolzig played his way out of being the #1 goalie the last few years he was around. Granted he had little defense to work with, but he was just phenomenally bad many...many times

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:05 PM
ahimsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Boyd Gordon must be thrilled.

ahimsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:16 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 2714
George ended his career by getting Huet. The writing was on the wall for some time and George had to do something to not waste the season. To get this town a sniff of the playoffs.

Bruce merely reinforced George's move, but not as much as Huet did himself. After that Chicago game, Huet ran the table to land us first. I dont think Kolzig could find fault in any part of it because of Huet's run, 12 straight or whatever. He got games after we got Huet, Bruce gave him a fair shake.

I think Kolzig realized yeah I couldnt have done that, and they obviously buried the hatchet.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 06-17-2011 at 07:36 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Vabeachblue

so who do you think will be the starter next year?

Vabeachblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 10:46 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gr8 Eight View Post
Neuvirth.

Old
06-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gr8 Eight View Post
Barring a trade for an obvious #1 guy, it's Neuvy until someone unseats him.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:54 AM
Atlas

Ugh, Neuvirth is middlin'. He is another Don Beaupre: solid but not dynamic enough to do what Tim Thomas just did. Put another way, Neuvy is good enough to lose gracefully. An "Also Ran."

The kid just got swept and he's the favorite to be #1? oO

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 01:03 AM
Atlas

Why is it the Caps org. never hires SC Champions to mentor Ovie, Backstrom, Varly, etc.? They bring in Boudreau's and Evason's and Kolzig's all who have never won jack. I like Olie--he might be effective. But it's just another example of a non-Cup winner mingling with our prospects.

Bring in some people who can tell the war stories because they know how to win it.

Old
06-17-2011, 01:25 AM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Ugh, Neuvirth is middlin'. He is another Don Beaupre: solid but not dynamic enough to do what Tim Thomas just did. Put another way, Neuvy is good enough to lose gracefully. An "Also Ran."

The kid just got swept and he's the favorite to be #1? oO
The kid didn't get swept. The team did. Unless you blatantly disregard quality chances when measuring the play of a goaltender.

He was the Caps' MVP in RD 1, the first time they won a series in less than 7 games in 13 years and was hung out to dry on multiple occasions in the second round when the team's lack of structure and leadership caught up to them in the form of an equally skilled, veteran team.

At no time did he lose his composure or get punked; unlike Varlamov who has been hit or miss.

Old
06-17-2011, 01:48 AM
Atlas

Getting swept is really bad. Your goalie has to be good enough to steal a game or two. He is a good goalie. It's possible he becomes a great goalie. I just don't see the acrobatics and hockey sense that I see in the greats. Varly shows that and Holtby did too in his brief time here.

We all know Bruce plays his favorites and Varly is in his doghouse. I don't want to lose a great goalie in Varly because Bruce is a buffoon.

Old
06-17-2011, 05:56 AM
Vabeachblue

I think we need to have a #1, no more of this 2 goalie rotation crap.

Old
06-17-2011, 07:46 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

We have to have a number 2, maybe a 3 otherwise we will never find out which one of the three is the best. Does Holtby automatically get the winner of the Varly Neuvy bout? Why, because he is younger and less experienced?

In a 1 goalie move, when a different goalie finally gets a chance, there will be rust and lots of pressure. Too short a window to grade a goalie we invested so much time in. George wanted a young goalie pool. Its prudent to play them all now and find the gem when the dust settles.

Neuvy had a good series against the Rangers but the Rangers were not a formidable opponent. We should have won that series with Varly Holtby Kolzig Beaupre Luit Malarchuk Carey and maybe even Dave Parro between the pipes. Nothing against Neuvy, but the Rags attack was not enough to land a young kid of three the 1 spot next year, especially after losing 4 straight when the competition was stepped up. It better be a wide open competition still.

I dont like how Bruce handles his goalies. Sure Varly is injury prone. So is Green. Semin, Fehr, Erskine, Gordon, Poti. Still pissed we didnt see a goalie change versus Tampa. He handed the 1 job to Neuvy and Neuvy gave it right back to him.

Old
06-17-2011, 07:55 AM
Vabeachblue

I would like to see varly between the pipes but the injury thing is screwing that up, I heard he is having surgery on his groin this summer. I really feel like he could be a top 10 goalie.

Old
06-17-2011, 08:21 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

Its hard to not be optimistic of a healthy Varly stealing the #1 job because its hard to erase the memories of his first playoff year. Versus Montreal, he was average. But I thought Bruce blew it both times, especially against Pitt. Varly was breaking down and anyone could see it. Most afraid to call for Theo because we think its bad to change a goalie in the playoffs, ignoring it is common in the regular season, and ignoring the move to Varly sparked the team. Theo was ready to haunt his former club Montreal in game 6 or 7. And Bruce blew it rolling into the playoffs with this backups largely untested / unused, yet had a quick trigger to yank Theo.

Jeez Varly is opting for surgery on the groin this summer? Rest assured it will take a long time to heal that thing. Maybe it will be for the best. First Clark and then Poti, and now Varly, has us all weary of groins.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 06-17-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old
06-17-2011, 08:26 AM
Vabeachblue

Idk if it true man, Iv been searching the net to find that article again. Saw it last night.

Old
06-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Vabeachblue

its an article on bleacher report, idk how trust worthy that site is but it said he already had surgery on it this summer.

Old
06-17-2011, 09:04 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Its hard to not be optimistic of a healthy Varly stealing the #1 job because its hard to erase the memories of his first playoff year. Versus Montreal, he was average. But I thought Bruce blew it both times, especially against Pitt. Varly was breaking down and anyone could see it. Most afraid to call for Theo because we think its bad to change a goalie in the playoffs, ignoring it is common in the regular season, and ignoring the move to Varly sparked the team. Theo was ready to haunt his former club Montreal in game 6 or 7. And Bruce blew it rolling into the playoffs with this backups largely untested / unused, yet had a quick trigger to yank Theo.

Jeez Varly is opting for surgery on the groin this summer? Rest assured it will take a long time to heal that thing. Maybe it will be for the best. First Clark and then Poti, and now Varly, has us all weary of groins.
Sutherby too.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote