HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Scouter

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
You'll have to ask those who wrote the CBA as to what they were thinking, but the reason (in terms of the CBA) it doesn't apply to non-NCAA player is because of:

and also:

I'm guessing the difference is there because with NCAA players you might have to wait upto 4 years and a lot can happen in that time. You also don't get to have much input on their development during that time (due to NCAA rules), unlike with other prospects.

As far as I'm concerned that's the risk you're taking when drafting a college-bound player and you should deal with the consequences, but the NHL doesn't seem to think so.
Well when you draft guys like White out of HS and they possibly go into a crappy college program maybe you should get some compensation, because HS guys can be risky.

Old
06-01-2011, 04:39 PM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
Not that it matters for the 2011 draft for the Canucks.

An unproven late 1st rounder, Tim Erixon and a 5th was traded for two 2011 2nd;s and Roman Horak.

Too bad for the Flames...at least they have picks now.

Old
06-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Scouter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Not that it matters for the 2011 draft for the Canucks.

An unproven late 1st rounder, Tim Erixon and a 5th was traded for two 2011 2nd;s and Roman Horak.

Too bad for the Flames...at least they have picks now.
And a potentially good prospect.

Old
06-01-2011, 10:42 PM
thefeebster

Combine has already been underway. Not much news besides this from hockey buzz (strictly reporting, no rumours)...

Key points in regards to us:

Quote:
J.T. Miller met with Calgary first, as well as Atlanta, Toronto, Minnesota, Chicago, NYI, Nashville, Carolina, Washington, San Jose and New Jersey. He’s meeting with Detroit, Philadelphia, Columbus, Pittsburgh, NYR, St. Louis, Buffalo and Florida today. Tampa, Anaheim and Edmonton all lined up for Thursday, as well as a follow up with the Blackhawks.
JT Miller has been all over the late 20s/early 30s and had a very good U18s, surprising that he would not warrant an interview with us. Maybe they don't think he'll be there, maybe they don't see it in him (he didn't have a very good season with the USNTDP - decent).

Quote:
Shane Prince met with both Vancouver and Boston today.
Not someone we've discussed much at all on this thread and not the big guy many seem to be looking for, but still had an impressive year. Is this a look into our 1st rder or 2nd or a trade down situation? Who knows.

Quote:
Duncan Siemens has 26 interviews—the Colorado Avalanche are one of them.
26 interviews confirmed; 2 of the 4 teams were MTL and DAL. Odds are we interviewed him - but still speculation.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Brian...bits/153/36147

Also, reading his blog, seems like we will have interviewed Rocco Grimaldi (All 30 teams have - i've heard some varying opinions on this guy, especially on the Habs board - ie. read his wiki to get a hint), Zibanejad (29 teams), Brodin+Klefbom(29 teams), Ritchie (29 teams).

Last edited by thefeebster: 06-01-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old
06-02-2011, 10:52 AM
windflare

We met with J.T. Miller already.

Quote:
J.T. Miller has been booked for 26 teams in total. Of the four he won’t be interviewing with, all of them had personal meetings with him in Ann Arbor (where the US National Program is stationed) in the past few weeks. Tampa Bay, Edmonton, Anaheim, Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa and Phoenix all on the docket for his day.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?p...blogger_id=153

Old
06-02-2011, 11:13 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflare View Post
We met with J.T. Miller already.
You mean left-handed Ryan Kesler

Old
06-02-2011, 12:08 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
My bad. But realized that was just released today.

Good news though. I don't think miller is a guy we'd want to miss out on. Really great performance at the u18s.

Old
06-02-2011, 12:15 PM
windflare

Very high chance to go before our pick. But what can you do *shrug*

Old
06-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Tiranis

The good news is that there's quite a good number of players that moved up as a result of U18 from the early-mid 2nd to mid-to-late 1st, that's probably going to guarantee that one of the higher rated prospects falls to us.

There's probably 45 guys or so right now that could all go within the first 30 picks, that's somewhat unusual.

Old
06-02-2011, 01:04 PM
PRNuck
Wow. What a day.

Quote:
Very high chance to go before our pick. But what can you do *shrug*
I guess they could try sucking at hockey? The Oilers fans seem to be having a blast at their draft lottery parties!

Old
06-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Blackjackz

Obviously it all depends on how things unfold on draft day... there may be some surprises... but I am becoming a big believer that outside of the top 5 or 6 players in the draft, it is more important to look for a kid with character, and then spend the time developing the player. When you look at programs such as Detroit, their success is less a result of scouting, and more of development. I think there are a large number of kids who won'r make it because the development programs are weak, despite having the talent. Gillis has done a great job at working on the Canucks program for developing their young players, and that should continue with this years draft. Some kids are ready at 19 or 20.. and others need s few more years of seasoning... it amazes me that we write off players because they take a little longer to develop into NHL players. Just look at how the added time in the system have helped Cory Schneider and Mchael Grabner.

The bottom line is that Canucks will end up with a few decent prospects from this years draft, but so will almost all the teams. The difference at the end of the day will be how they handle those kids after the draft. There is a reason some teams consistently develop NHL players, and other teams seem to blow it on every sure thing. The Canucks have been heading in the right direction for a few years now..

Old
06-02-2011, 07:22 PM
TKash
Rookie User

Hey guys just want your thoughts on Mark Scheifele and whether you would take him if he was available at #30

Old
06-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

With our excellent signings of undrafted players and free agents like Tanev, Lack and Sweatt I'm as excited to see who we unearth in this area as who we draft. There hasn't been a lot of talk surrounding this crop of players - does anyone know who the most coveted guys will be this time around? Any rumours of the Canucks being interested in any of them?

Old
06-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Scouter

They also met with Shane Prince, as did Boston, so not only are they competing for the cup they are going perhaps for the same prospect too, I would be interested in drafting him if they are, I was wondering who is at the combine since isn't much of the staff at the Finals, like Gillis?

Old
06-02-2011, 08:22 PM
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
With our excellent signings of undrafted players and free agents like Tanev, Lack and Sweatt I'm as excited to see who we unearth in this area as who we draft. There hasn't been a lot of talk surrounding this crop of players - does anyone know who the most coveted guys will be this time around? Any rumours of the Canucks being interested in any of them?
Ottawa signed the "big name" college UFA. French kid Stephane Da Costa:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6277012

Canucks had their UFA prospect signing with Darren Archibald:

Old
06-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Ottawa signed the "big name" college UFA. French kid Stephane Da Costa:

Canucks had their UFA prospect signing with Darren Archibald:
Is that it for this year? Won't there be guys available this summer?

Old
06-02-2011, 08:41 PM
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

Quote:
Also signed Sebastien Erixon from Sweden.

They could be looking at others... we had heard some rumblings of KHL players a few months back but nothing solid.

Here's some info on top college UFAs from the NCAA:

http://www.hockeyprimetime.com/news/...ge-free-agents

Quote:
John Muse, G, Boston College (above): Muse made a name for himself when as a freshman, he played every minute of every game for the Eagles in a championship season. All he’s done since is win another national title, put himself and his team in line for a third in four years, and posted a career goals-against average of 2.37 and save percentage of .915 with 11 career shutouts.

Carter Camper, F, Miami: Camper was averaging over a point per game in his career at Miami even before this season, when he’s posted a career-high 50 points in 34 games. Coming off an 82-point season with the Cleveland Barons of the NAHL, Camper was only rated 181st among skaters in the 2006 Draft by NHL Central Scouting. After not being drafted, Camper put up a 71-point season for the Lincoln Stars of the USHL before budding into a star at Miami. At only 5-foot-9 and 173 pounds, Camper is undersized for the NHL. But that was the knock on former Boston College star Nathan Gerbe, who despite his diminutive 5-5 stature, has done well for himself with the Buffalo Sabres.

Andy Miele, F, Miami: Miele’s career numbers aren’t as great as those of Camper, his linemate, but he has still averaged over a point per game with the Redhawks. This season, he leads all Division I players in scoring with 61 points. Miele, like Camper, a bit undersized at 5-8 and 175 pounds, turned some heads last summer as an undrafted invitee to the Washington Capitals’ prospect camp.

Paul Thompson, F, New Hampshire: Thompson is the quintessential late bloomer. He got no interest after a brief stint in the EJHL, then was passed over in the 2007 Draft after being ranked 72nd among skaters that year. His first two seasons weren’t eye-opening by any means (12-point and 9-point campaigns), but the 6-foot, 210-pound power forward has in the last two seasons shown what scouts saw then but NHL general managers didn’t. He has averaged over a point per game in the last two seasons, and his 26 goals and 48 points this season rank among the best in the nation. Thompson attended the prospect camp for the Pittsburgh Penguins last summer.

Chase Polacek, F, Rensselaer: Polacek got some interest from NHL teams last summer after posting 52 points and earning All-American status his junior year, but chose to return to RPI and finish his degree. While Polacek may have been ignored by scouts coming out of Edina (Minn.) High School because he was undersized at 5-8 and 165 pounds, he has built himself up at RPI and now checks in at a ripped 190 pounds.

Justin Fontaine, F, Minnesota-Duluth: After a lackluster freshman year, Fontaine has posted at least 15 goals and 40 points in each of the next three seasons. Oddly, he’s a bit off last year’s pace, despite playing full-time with fellow Bulldogs playmakers Mike and Jack Connolly. Fontaine was an invitee at the Minnesota Wild’s prospect camp last summer.

Denny Urban, D, Robert Morris: While he’s not a huge specimen on the blue line like Northeastern freshman Jamie Oleksiak, Urban has become a solid puck-moving defenseman and a leader on a Colonials team in the midst of the school’s best season. After tallying at least 20 points in each of his first three seasons, Urban is continuing to add to a career-high 39 points this season. Urban attended the Pittsburgh Penguins' prospect camp in 2009.

Calle Ridderwall, F, Notre Dame: Like Muse, Ridderwall became a bit of an overnight sensation as a freshman with a star turn in the 2008 Frozen Four. Ranked 121st among skaters by Central Scouting in 2007, Ridderwall was never drafted. While he hasn’t yet compiled a monster season, Ridderwall has been a steady contributor to the Irish power play and has been good for 15 goals and 30 points per season since that freshman year. He’s spent time at the prospect camp for the New York Islanders, who drafted his cousin Stefan as a goalie in the 2006 Draft.

Paul Zanette, F, Niagara: Someone will take a gamble with Zanette, on the off chance that his senior year was a breakthrough and not an aberration. In his first three years at Niagara, Zanette had never scored more than 11 goals or 21 points. This season, he has already tallied 53 points and an NCAA-best 29 goals. Unfortunately, Zanette was so far off everybody’s radar prior to this year that NHL scouts have not had much chance to watch him up close.
Carter Camper signed with Boston Bruins

Andy Miele signed with Phoenix

Paul Thompson signed with Pitsburgh

Justin Fontaine signed with Minnesota

I like Zanette but he signed a PTO with Hamilton (Montreal's farm club)... not sure if the Habs will sign him.

Last edited by LickTheEnvelope: 06-02-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old
06-02-2011, 08:42 PM
The Big Foot

Quote:
A year ago noone was praying for Tanev, Lack, Sweatt, Volpatti (well maybe Volpatti).

If the staff signs someone this year I'll have a whole lot more interest.

The fact that three of those guys got to play in the bigs (Sweatt was only a game or two but collected a lot of his NHL salary) has got to help our ability to convince people to sign with us. Also our development program is starting to get a good reputation.

I don't think we have any pressing needs at any particular position. Another big centre would be great as always, and another puck moving defenceman. Maybe another right handed d?

Old
06-02-2011, 08:49 PM
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
A year ago noone was praying for Tanev, Lack, Sweatt, Volpatti (well maybe Volpatti).

If the staff signs someone this year I'll have a whole lot more interest.

The fact that three of those guys got to play in the bigs (Sweatt was only a game or two but collected a lot of his NHL salary) has got to help our ability to convince people to sign with us. Also our development program is starting to get a good reputation.

I don't think we have any pressing needs at any particular position. Another big centre would be great as always, and another puck moving defenceman. Maybe another right handed d?
We have some UFA's coming off the Moose... or whoever our AHL team will be. I'm interested to see how many get swiped by the new Winnipeg franchise's farm club.

Those players: Desbiens, Baumgartner, Rypien, Weiman, Bolduc

Old
06-02-2011, 08:57 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKash View Post
Hey guys just want your thoughts on Mark Scheifele and whether you would take him if he was available at #30
A no-brainer at 30. He was the best Canadian forward at the U18s, at least from what I saw, and it has really elevated him into the top 15, in my eyes. A lot of untapped potential in that he could realistically add about 30 lbs to that frame and has shown he can really elevate his game, as well as lead a very terrible team in Barrie.

Quote:
The College free agent frenzy has fizzled down for a while now. If any guys haven't signed by now, they're going to be looking for prospect camp invites or ATOs/Contracts with some AHL clubs.

Some of the guys i liked were Tanner House and Taylor Fedun. Much to my ire, the Oilers got both. For CHL, maybe Jake Akeson or Matt Fraser would have been nice. Can't get them all...

We also have a contract limit to watch for too. Hope it isn't as close as last, and we don't have any sliders this year either.

Old
06-02-2011, 09:22 PM
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
A no-brainer at 30. He was the best Canadian forward at the U18s, at least from what I saw, and it has really elevated him into the top 15, in my eyes. A lot of untapped potential in that he could realistically add about 30 lbs to that frame and has shown he can really elevate his game, as well as lead a very terrible team in Barrie.

The College free agent frenzy has fizzled down for a while now. If any guys haven't signed by now, they're going to be looking for prospect camp invites or ATOs/Contracts with some AHL clubs.

Some of the guys i liked were Tanner House and Taylor Fedun. Much to my ire, the Oilers got both. For CHL, maybe Jake Akeson or Matt Fraser would have been nice. Can't get them all...

We also have a contract limit to watch for too. Hope it isn't as close as last, and we don't have any sliders this year either.
We aren't close to the contract limit.

Right now the Canucks have 30 contracts for next year.

Old
06-02-2011, 09:22 PM
The Big Foot

Already forgot about Sebastien Erixon. He looked to be a player with upside.

I honestly could see the staff picking any position in the first round. A player with a higher ceiling would be best - don't need to use an early pick on depth players. Someone with a history of winning would be great.

Old
06-02-2011, 10:56 PM
arsmaster

Scheifele doesnt look a whole lot different than Johansen did last year.

Could be a late bloomer who booms.

Old
06-02-2011, 11:56 PM
Finnish Your Czechs

vCash: 50
I've been interested in Philippe Hudon for a bit.

Old
06-03-2011, 01:25 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
We aren't close to the contract limit.

Right now the Canucks have 30 contracts for next year.
If you look now, we have 32 but thats without UFAs or RFAs. But you have to plan for the future. With everyone, we might have 42-45 contacts. I'm assuming we bring back: Hansen, Lappy, Higgins, Raffi (or some equivalent), Glass or Tambo (really just a spotholder for some guys to take some 4th line duties), Bieksa, Ehrhoff, probably another depth defenseman as Gillis likes (Sweatt?), Oreskovich. Then you have some maybes of Shirokov, Rypien, Bliznak, Bolduc. Plus those obligatory contracts for the farm team (Baumer, Weiman, Desbiens - maybe not these guys but similar vet contracts).

What if we are impressed with players at our summer camp or guys who went through the draft, we'll need some extra spots to play with. Can't keep signing as many guys as we have to ELCs - signed 8 since last March alone. Next season, we don't have as many contracts coming off as we do right now, especially if those guys above sign multi-year deals. And we've got Cannata to sign next year as he will likely be done College and Friesen appears to be taking his overage year. Keeping space for a possible trade scenario or waiver option or other free agent prospects options next season would be nice as well.

Closed Thread