HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr's Agent Contacts Rangers (Signs with Philly | 1 yr @ $3.3MM)

Old
06-19-2011, 01:37 AM
Vito Andolini

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Gagne is much better 5 on 5 than Wolski is. If we're going to assume Gagne only plays 50 games, we can't assume Jagr plays more than that in an 82 game season either.
Assume? You can't assume anything, but the rational person in me says that Jagr has been healthy for just about his entire career while Gagne has an injury history that is comparable to our delicate flower Gaborik.

39 is obviously pretty old for a hockey player, but you got to remember a few things here:
1 He's now played the equiv of about 4 and a half years of his career in softer Euro leagues.
2 Physically, he's about as big and strong as they come
3 His skills are likely to age gracefully
4 Mark freaking Recchi!

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 01:43 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi17 View Post
let's turn the page already folks. remember how we all desperately wanted avery back and thought he could be our spark? look at him now...

the answer to our problems is not in a 39 year old Jaromir Jagr
Well...he kind of was our spark. Or at least was part of the spark that took us from a team in a nosedive to making the playoffs. 12 points in 18 games.

If you think you're going to find the "answer to our problems" in any 1 player then you're dreaming. Jagr could be PART of a solution to our scoring issues and general lack of talent. He's not THE answer...nor is anyone claiming he is.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 12:36 PM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
You know, maybe he was slow going to the bench because...he was constantly being double-shifted? How many times was he on the ice when the game came down to the wire and the Rangers needed a goal?

His first postseason with the Rangers, what happened to the team when he was injured? His last postseason with the Rangers, who was the constant scoring threat and presence for the team?
All of this was how many years ago?

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 12:43 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
All of this was how many years ago?
Irrelevant.

You questioned his work ethic and I'm telling you there was nothing wrong with it.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:28 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Real_ESPNLeBrun Pierre LeBrun
A reminder that Jagr could also remain in KHL where best salary offer remains... we'll see.
16 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Jagr and his agent Petr Svoboda expected to huddle up in next hour to discuss their decision. Doesn't mean decision will be today
20 minutes ago

On the Jagr front: am told Detroit and Pittsburgh in the mix plus a few other teams but Habs according to source ``not so much anymore.''
21 minutes ago

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:04 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

What's your absolute maximum you'd spend to bring him back?

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:05 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
$4M for 1 year.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:07 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

I want Jagr back here but I just don't see it. Doesn't seem like the direction we are going. I'd love to be wrong though!

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:12 PM
broadwayblue

I don't see them offering him a contract at any price/term.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:12 PM
NYR Viper

It depends on if Drury is going to retire or not.....If they have excess space, I would rather throw money at Jagr for 1 season rather than Jokinen for 5.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
I want Jagr back here but I just don't see it. Doesn't seem like the direction we are going. I'd love to be wrong though!
We don't have to be going in any direction to take a flyer on a top scorer on a team that can't score. The worst that happens is we miss the playoffs anyway and then he leaves.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:22 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I just dont see adding Jagr as a move that would hurt this organization in any way. He may have lost a step considering he is 39 years old, but the guy knows how to score still. It's not like you are signing him with the intention of him being the "go-to guy" logging top line minutes. He more likely than not ends up on the 3rd line while regularly getting PP minutes to help improve that dreadful PP.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:24 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
We don't have to be going in any direction to take a flyer on a top scorer on a team that can't score. The worst that happens is we miss the playoffs anyway and then he leaves.
I'm just saying look at this team's recent history - there's a pattern and unfortunately a guy like Jagr doesn't seem like he fits into that.
Besides, none of the NY pundits think he's coming here anyways.
I want Jagr here but like I said, it's just not in the cards with the way the organization has been going about things

Old
06-20-2011, 08:24 PM
obsenssive*

Send a message via MSN to obsenssive*
he could have passed sakic, lemieux, yzerman, and maybe dionne and francis on the all time top scorers list if he hadn't left. he could have been a top 5 greatest NHL player of all time but apparently that didn't matter. I doubt he's coming back now.

obsenssive* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:28 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
I'm just saying look at this team's recent history - there's a pattern and unfortunately a guy like Jagr doesn't seem like he fits into that.
Besides, none of the NY pundits think he's coming here anyways.
I want Jagr here but like I said, it's just not in the cards with the way the organization has been going about things
I dont know about that. They signed naslund, who albeit wasnt as old as Jagr is, but was near the end of his career. Same with Prospal. I think the Rangers sign him if they think he fits just like they did with Naslund and Prospal.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Zipay has been very clear that the Rangers are not interested in bringing Jagr back. Different era now, with Renney no longer at the helm.

06-20-2011, 08:36 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
I dont know about that. They signed naslund, who albeit wasnt as old as Jagr is, but was near the end of his career. Same with Prospal. I think the Rangers sign him if they think he fits just like they did with Naslund and Prospal.
Recent history, the direction they were going in when they signed Naslund was that of a Drury/Gomez team. This team is decidedly younger and will be captained and led by young players. Vets will happen, but prospal also had history with torts so I dont think you can use that as an example. Torts and Jagr? Can't see that as a match made in heaven.

Old
06-20-2011, 08:58 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Rossi_on_Pens Rob Rossi
Reading between lines with @Real_ESPNLeBrun latest blog, but sure seems like #RedWings are the No. 1 seed in any Jagr tourney. #tribpens
2 hours ago

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:56 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Assume? You can't assume anything, but the rational person in me says that Jagr has been healthy for just about his entire career while Gagne has an injury history that is comparable to our delicate flower Gaborik.

39 is obviously pretty old for a hockey player, but you got to remember a few things here:
1 He's now played the equiv of about 4 and a half years of his career in softer Euro leagues.
2 Physically, he's about as big and strong as they come
3 His skills are likely to age gracefully
4 Mark freaking Recchi!
You can argue that playing 4 and a half years in softer Euro leagues is bad for him too. The short seasons are a big conditioning concern, and same goes for the pace of the play and the style of it.
Physically, there are a lot of guys that are stronger. He just happens to be stronger than most on the puck.
Skills don't age. People age. Muscles break down. Joints ache. The ability to execute as consistently as before dissapear.
Mark Recchi is one of those guys that plays great positional hockey and it allows him to avoid getting hit all that often. Jagr doesn't play a Recchi type game at all.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:57 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
I just dont see adding Jagr as a move that would hurt this organization in any way. He may have lost a step considering he is 39 years old, but the guy knows how to score still. It's not like you are signing him with the intention of him being the "go-to guy" logging top line minutes. He more likely than not ends up on the 3rd line while regularly getting PP minutes to help improve that dreadful PP.
You don't think the rifts that would undoubtedly happen between Jagr and Torts wouldn't be a distraction?

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:31 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

id give jagr 4-5 mil...somewhere in that range.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:37 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
id give jagr 4-5 mil...somewhere in that range.
For 1 year I'd be ALL OVER THAT.

I still think he and Torts would clash very hard though, and he'd have to accept his new role as 2nd/3rd liner with PP minutes.

Not to mention bringing in Jagr would salvage Avery they have/had serious chemistry.

Wolski - Richards - Gaborik
Dubi - AA - Cally
Avery - Stepan - Jagr
Feds/Hagelin - Boyle - Prust

is a nasty team

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:40 AM
Pizza

Never underestimate a motivated Jagr....

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:56 AM
CH2

Apparently Jagr is down to three teams, Detroit, Pittsburgh and a team his agent doesn't want to name. I doubt it's the Rangers because they'd probably want teams to know if a big spending team like the Rangers were in it.

Source is Lebrun's twitter.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:07 AM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Never underestimate a motivated Jagr....
Agree...

I understood the reputation and everything before he came to the Rangers but he gained a fan for life in me given his time here.

Absolutely carried the team back into respectability. And we've had a significant scoring problem ever since he left.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote