HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eklund Rumours Thread: Enter at your own risk

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Patty Roy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post
Why can't people realize some teams can't afford to spend to the salary cap minimum, getting Gomez after this season is over let's them save over $4 million in salary.

Gomez as a 3rd line center saving you $2 million a year is not that bad. At worse just have him as your 13th forward and you are still $4 million richer.
Everybody knows about this fantasy scenario, but i'll believe it when i see it.

I think the buyout/minors scenario is FAR more likely unless Gomez suddenly turns things around and proves he can still play in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
J-Bo and Markov are both left D. It would be more likely that J-Bo would be Subban's partner and Markov would play with Gorges/Emelin. It would also mean we can move Gill out.
I actually really like the idea of a J-Bo/Subban pairing...but still there is no way we are getting him for Gomez.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 10-29-2011 at 12:48 PM. Reason: merge
Old
10-29-2011, 12:23 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy d View Post
gomez for jbo= trading one problem for another.
With the exception that Bouwmeester can still have an impact.

Old
10-29-2011, 12:37 PM
Garry Valk

If we were dumping money the other way, Bouwmeester would be a great addition.

Old
10-29-2011, 12:39 PM
habitue*

Would the Islanders take Gomez for a pick to be determined later ?

Old
10-30-2011, 01:29 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
J-Bo would get eaten alive in Montreal. The guy is very shy and hates attention and the spotlight. Would be a terrible fit.
and whats the difference with Gomez? I would take that chance on Bouwmeester if Gomez would go the other way and + of course. But I doubt the Flames have any interest

Old
10-31-2011, 02:56 AM
Mr. Hab

Why can't there be rumors about Byfuglien?! (he'd make us a sure contender).

Obviously if they'd ask for too much then forget it, but a fair deal...I'd go for it.
Perfect fit for our Habs since he can be a Power Dman or Power Foward.

p.s.: I'd keep Gomez's $5,5mil and $4,5mil (next 2 seasons)...vs Bouwmeester's $6,6mil/year (this year) and for another 2 seasons.

We finally have CENTER depth and *crossing my fingers* Markov will be back and then Campoli. Bouwmeester is very overrated and over-paid...he's only good in that he plays 82games/season, but he has no grit whatsover (very soft) and is worth no more than 4mil (I could be wrong). He's just fun to watch for his very smooth skating.

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 10-31-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Old
10-31-2011, 03:58 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post

Obviously if they'd ask for too much then forget it, but a fair deal...I'd go for it.

p.s.: I'd keep Gomez's $5,5mil and $4,5mil (next 2 seasons)...vs Bouwmeester's $6,6mil/year (this year) and for another 2 seasons.

We finally have CENTER depth and *crossing my fingers* Markov will be back and then Campoli. Bouwmeester is very overrated and over-paid...he's only good in that he plays 82games/season, but he has no grit whatsover (very soft) and is worth no more than 4mil (I could be wrong). He's just fun to watch for his very smooth skating.
his cap hit will be over 7M, even if he makes less...

Old
10-31-2011, 04:03 AM
All-Star

Quote:
If I actually had to pay those salaries, then sure, but considering their cap hits remain the same, and as a fan that's all I care about, I fail to see why anyone would choose Gomez.

Old
10-31-2011, 04:39 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
If I actually had to pay those salaries, then sure, but considering their cap hits remain the same, and as a fan that's all I care about, I fail to see why anyone would choose Gomez.
Gomez's cap...forgot about that as well. Oh well...

Byfuglien's cap hit...didn't know about that. Changes a lot.
Still...would like to dream about Byfuglien in a Habs jersey.

Bouwmeester: would make sense if we know for sure that Markov is not coming back at all. But he apparently may be skating in a week or two, or is he going back to Florida for check-up #4?! Calgary will want too much for him.

McCabe: we don't have to give anything...just owner's $$$.
McCabe>Bouwmeester (based mostly on salary and the fact that McCabe is available for nothing). And I was never a fan of Mccabe, but he's a cheap option (1mil? 1,5mil?).

Old
10-31-2011, 06:02 AM
All-Star

Quote:
McCabe: we don't have to give anything...just owner's $$$.
McCabe>Bouwmeester (based mostly on salary and the fact that McCabe is available for nothing). And I was never a fan of Mccabe, but he's a cheap option (1mil? 1,5mil?).
True, but he's also not much of an upgrade over what the Habs have now. I'd consider it if another two of the Habs D goes down to long-term injury. I don't think there's anyone in Hamilton capable of stepping in for a long period of time.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
Guys lets get real here. No team is going to trade for Scott Gomez unless they are sending an equally awful salary our way (and i would argue there is no such thing).

We basically have two options with Gomez:

1) Buy Out:

Scott Gomez buyout from CapGeek.com (cap hit):

* 2012-13: $3,523,810
* 2013-14: $4,523,810
* 2014-15: $1,666,667
* 2015-16: $1,666,667

Actual cost to buy-out is approx. $6.67 million.

Not as bad of an option as i would have thought. The buyout is significant in the first two seasons, but at least Gomez is gone from the organization and you are left with approx. $3 million per season to spend on a replacement. You get huge savings in years 3 and 4.

2) Minors:

Actual cost: $10 million (over 2 seasons)

Molson would have to shell out an addition $3.33 million with this option, but it opens up $7.357 in salary starting next season. Thats more than enough money for the Habs to add a 2/3 line forward and a top 4 d-man.
You don't get huge savings in years 3 and 4. Gomez only has 2 years left on his contract. If you keep Gomez around and just play out his contract, or let him sit in Hamilton for 2 years... you spend no money in years 3 and 4 and take on no cap hit in those years... so its not a savings.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:

G. Molson is that you?

Old
11-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Jigger77

Quote:

Don't worry. There will be some now.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Marc-E-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
With the exception that Bouwmeester can still have an impact.
I've suggesting since a mount the swap between Gomez and Bouwmeester. I would'nt say you might be wrong on that one. Gomez could also fit well with Iggy. It's a bet that Calgary could afford to shake things up.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:43 AM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

gomez, kristo, and some picks, for taking penner contract of LA's hands and jarret stoll.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
gomez, kristo, and some picks, for taking penner contract of LA's hands and jarret stoll.
Call me crazy but I would rather keep Gomez Kristo and the picks for those 2. Penner is overrated and we don't really need Stoll

Old
11-01-2011, 11:54 AM
pine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Call me crazy but I would rather keep Gomez Kristo and the picks for those 2. Penner is overrated and we don't really need Stoll
No, I think you're sane.

Penner sucks.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:55 AM
ChoseLa

Gomez + some good young defencemen (Weber or Beaulieu) would be the price to get Jbo. Because Gomez is one of the less tradable player in the league (Contracts like Vinny Lecavalier last longers, even though they eat gomezes for breakfast) and the one that gives you the less bang for your bucks.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:57 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
I wouldn't do that trade even if you paid me, LA would have to throw in picks for me to be remotely interested in Penner. Hes not a good player for us at all, and hes AK with more physical aspects and less skill.

LA wouldn't take Gomez either, so just in general its a bad trade that I'd be shocked if PG gave it a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Gomez + some good young defencemen (Weber or Beaulieu) would be the price to get Jbo. Because Gomez is one of the less tradable player in the league (Contracts like Vinny Lecavalier last longers, even though they eat gomezes for breakfast) and the one that gives you the less bang for your bucks.
Gomez+Beaulieu? or Gomez+Weber? without hesitation I'd give up Weber, I'd even throw in a 2nd next year along with Gomez & Weber, for Jaybo.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

I don't care what we do, get rid of Gomez. And now that the team is finally cominh together is the perfect time to onload him.

Old
11-01-2011, 12:00 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I don't care what we do, get rid of Gomez. And now that the team is finally cominh together is the perfect time to onload him.
Exactly, we are starting to prove Gomez is no longer needed and if anything he kills offensive chances more than he makes them.

Old
11-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
and whats the difference with Gomez? I would take that chance on Bouwmeester if Gomez would go the other way and + of course. But I doubt the Flames have any interest
The difference is Gomez isn't shy, and won't retreat in a cocoon like JBo would once things start to inevitably go bad for him.

I'd wait a bit longer than 5 games and a period before going the route of dealing Gomez with an asset to get rid of him. If he becomes a service to this team over the course of the season, the burden of his contract is alleviated and we won't need to give assets like Beaulieu or Weber (as has been suggested) away. Not to mention that I'm not sure it's worth trading someone like that way just to get rid of Gomez. As much as he's underachieving, what good would it do to get rid of a touted young player just to get rid of a player who isn't a distraction and who isn't causing us cap problems right now?

His salary is terrible (as we all know), but it's not like we're strapped for space either.

IMO he'll either become serviceable and play out the rest of his contract here, get bought out, or traded to a team this summer a la Phoenix or Islanders that needs to get above the cap floor.

I cannot see him getting dealt along with a good young player just for the sake of trading him. IF you thought dealing McDo for him was a bad idea, why dig the hole even deeper and give someone else away too?

Old
11-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
I wouldn't do that trade even if you paid me, LA would have to throw in picks for me to be remotely interested in Penner. Hes not a good player for us at all, and hes AK with more physical aspects and less skill.

LA wouldn't take Gomez either, so just in general its a bad trade that I'd be shocked if PG gave it a thought.

Gomez+Beaulieu? or Gomez+Weber? without hesitation I'd give up Weber, I'd even throw in a 2nd next year along with Gomez & Weber, for Jaybo.
if Montreal traded Gomez + Beaulieu or Weber for Jay Bo.. it will be just as bad as trading for Gomez in the first place.

Old
11-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
if Montreal traded Gomez + Beaulieu or Weber for Jay Bo.. it will be just as bad as trading for Gomez Gomez in the first place.
Precisely - I sure as hell wouldn't want to deal a youngster just to get Gomez off the roster. It's not worth the tradeoff.

Old
11-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Precisely - I sure as hell wouldn't want to deal a youngster just to get Gomez off the roster. It's not worth the tradeoff.
Bouwmeester is 28 years old, still has plenty of hockey left in front of him. With the recent drafting of Tinordi and Beaulieu, with young players like Subban, Diaz, Dietz and Emelin, the Habs could afford to move a Weber

Closed Thread