HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers CANNOT buy out Drury

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-17-2011, 12:05 PM
  #176
93gilmour93
Registered User
 
93gilmour93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
to be honest I doubt the Rangers go over $7.5 for Richards. If the Leafs want him for $8+ mill per year then they probably got him.

edit: you can decide whether or not that's a smart idea
I would. Overpay a bit and you don't have to use any assets in a trade.

93gilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:05 PM
  #177
CB Joe
Registered User
 
CB Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Chris Drury is incapable of playing due to medical reasons and he knows it. Rather than retiring like he should, like others have done, he milks the organization for every last penny he can. So much for being such a great guy and a wonderful role model. Now we see Chris Drury's true colors.

If anyone else had a medical injury that prevented them from performing their duty as necessary, they'd be forced into early retirement. Chris Drury should be no different. Look at Rafalski, he wasn't even hurt like this.

Chris Drury is just a plain POS, I don't feel bad for him at all. He's been paid 16m for the past two seasons already and that's not enough for him, he's hanging on for more. Blame it on Sather if you want, he signed the contract too, he asked for the money, and he's choosing to hold out for it.


He's entitled to every penny of that contact. If you don't like the contract blame the GM not the player.

CB Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:08 PM
  #178
93gilmour93
Registered User
 
93gilmour93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post


He's entitled to every penny of that contact. If you don't like the contact blame the GM not the player.
I agree 100 percent. He was offered the money and took it as anyone else would. Because the rangers get into a mess at the end of the contract doesn't mean anything. A contract is signed and should be lived up to till the end.

93gilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:09 PM
  #179
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 View Post
I would. Overpay a bit and you don't have to use any assets in a trade.
On the other hand this is what got the Rangers into contracts like Drury, Gomez, etc

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:10 PM
  #180
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
LTIR doesn't kick in until training camp and since Redden is already eating their summer 10% overage (and a tiny bit more), it effectively means the Rags cap is 7M lower than everyone else until training camp.

Insurance will cover most of the salary, so it's actually cheaper for NYR in terms of real dollars, but the cap implications are what really hurts.
The Rangers also already have a bunch of cap space, and McCabe, Frolov, Prospal and Fedotenko coming off the books, and possibly a Wolski buyout, so if they are after Brad Richards still, they will have the room.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:14 PM
  #181
GE0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuchManic View Post
................................yep Rags fan talking.

Why would Richards do that? LOL who do the Rags think they are? Maybe if Richards could see into a crystal ball and they win the cup. Otherwise, get real.
The arrogance of Rangers fans is hilarious. They think Richards is a definite signing, other suitors don't compare. Real funny stuff.

Especially for a team that 11 years and counting under Sather hasn't even been able to advance past the second round. But Richards is definitely going to sign there because that's his best chance for a Cup.

Because he can't wait to play with Marian Gaborik, despite Gaborik being ridiculously injury-prone and the Rangers not having a 1st line LW (and can't afford one after paying Richards).

GE0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:16 PM
  #182
93gilmour93
Registered User
 
93gilmour93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
On the other hand this is what got the Rangers into contracts like Drury, Gomez, etc
The rangers problem was they signed to many high money contracts. It wouldn't hurt the team if they sign one. Other then phaneuf and kessel i don't see any other leafs making any more then $4.5 million in the next few years and only a couple of guys will reach those numbers. Everyone else will get around $2.5 or lower.

93gilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:18 PM
  #183
Wpg Jets Fan
Registered User
 
Wpg Jets Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 809
vCash: 500
Rangers should buy out Glen Sather and call it a day.

Wpg Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:18 PM
  #184
Sonny Lamateena
Registered User
 
Sonny Lamateena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 50
Could the Rangers just delay the signings of their own RFA's until after the point where they can send Redden to the minors or Drury to LTI? Sign Richards July 1st (if that's the goal), and then sign, Callahan, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Boyle, and Sauer in September, (they can negotiate the deals long before that.)

Sonny Lamateena is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:20 PM
  #185
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 22,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofGrond View Post
Yes. 69.5M - 7.05M from Drury - 6.5M from redden, unless I'm terribly mistaken. Leaving them with a cap of ~56M for the offseason.
As an Islanders fan I would kill if our team "could only" spend 56M. lol

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:20 PM
  #186
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Lamateena View Post
Could the Rangers just delay the signings of their own RFA's until after the point where they can send Redden to the minors or Drury to LTI? Sign Richards July 1st (if that's the goal), and then sign, Callahan, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Boyle, and Sauer in September, (they can negotiate the deals long before that.)
They can certainly do that but it leaves them open to other teams offer sheeting those RFA's

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:22 PM
  #187
Blue Dragon
Registered User
 
Blue Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Lamateena View Post
Could the Rangers just delay the signings of their own RFA's until after the point where they can send Redden to the minors or Drury to LTI? Sign Richards July 1st (if that's the goal), and then sign, Callahan, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Boyle, and Sauer in September, (they can negotiate the deals long before that.)
Risky. It makes those players vulnerable to offer sheets.

Blue Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:23 PM
  #188
93gilmour93
Registered User
 
93gilmour93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Lamateena View Post
Could the Rangers just delay the signings of their own RFA's until after the point where they can send Redden to the minors or Drury to LTI? Sign Richards July 1st (if that's the goal), and then sign, Callahan, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Boyle, and Sauer in September, (they can negotiate the deals long before that.)
You list some pretty good young talent that i think the rangers wouldn't want to lose.

93gilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:27 PM
  #189
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
People talk as if Offersheets are the norm rather than a rarity. Add to that the fact that Sather is quite vindictive. Not sure GMs want to get on his bad side an then find out what happens when they try to sign a RFA of their own.

In conclusion - our RFAs are not getting offersheeted

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:28 PM
  #190
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,844
vCash: 500
wouldn't this actually open up more cap space for them?

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:29 PM
  #191
almostawake
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
People talk as if Offersheets are the norm rather than a rarity. Add to that the fact that Sather is quite vindictive. Not sure GMs want to get on his bad side an then find out what happens when they try to sign a RFA of their own.

In conclusion - our RFAs are not getting offersheeted
If they were unsigned going into training camp?

Ya, they'd be targets.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:29 PM
  #192
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,428
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
wouldn't this actually open up more cap space for them?
Yes, but only during the season. The problem is the summer cap.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:31 PM
  #193
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Yes, because you're his agent, and you know everything that's on his mind.
So if I'm not his agent, and you say that means my opinion is invalid, what does that make you?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:31 PM
  #194
MuchManic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GE0 View Post
The arrogance of Rangers fans is hilarious. They think Richards is a definite signing, other suitors don't compare. Real funny stuff.

Especially for a team that 11 years and counting under Sather hasn't even been able to advance past the second round. But Richards is definitely going to sign there because that's his best chance for a Cup.

Because he can't wait to play with Marian Gaborik, despite Gaborik being ridiculously injury-prone and the Rangers not having a 1st line LW (and can't afford one after paying Richards).

Exactly. I mean I'm not saying the Leafs are going to get Richards either but really? I'm going to be the most sought after free agent (no less a center) this summer with the richest team in the league competing for my services, and I'm going to sign for a one year deal when I'm 31 and promise you I'll sign an extension because I just KNOW I'll get the big bucks the year after even if I *knock on wood* get injured only to have my team buy me out and dump me for the next big thing. That sounds right.

MuchManic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:32 PM
  #195
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
If they were unsigned going into training camp?

Ya, they'd be targets.
Like Staal and Dubinsky the last couple of years?

The thing about offersheets is that both sides have to agree to sign. Teams can't just come in and claim a player. None of those players have any reason to sign an offersheet.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:32 PM
  #196
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle
 
Erza Scarlet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Requiem
Posts: 8,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
People talk as if Offersheets are the norm rather than a rarity. Add to that the fact that Sather is quite vindictive. Not sure GMs want to get on his bad side an then find out what happens when they try to sign a RFA of their own.

In conclusion - our RFAs are not getting offersheeted
what is going to do, throw his cigarette at me. I'm surprised he's not dead by now.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:35 PM
  #197
GE0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
wouldn't this actually open up more cap space for them?
When the season starts, sure.

But they have to carry Drury's $7.05M cap hit until the start of the season when they can put him on LTIR.

They won't be able to spend that allotment of cash/cap until then. (Redden is already accounting for the 10% summer cap overage.) And at that point, who would they spend it on?

This idea that Richards would wait is laughable. If he did wait, he'd just wait for ownership in Dallas to be cleared up and easily re-sign with them over New York. Such a joke.

GE0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:37 PM
  #198
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,478
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
So if I'm not his agent, and you say that means my opinion is invalid, what does that make you?
Where did i say that your opinion is invalid, please don't put words in my mouth, i just said that there is a possibility that he might accept the offer sheet, while you suggest that it could never happend. And please don't try to scare me, or whatever you're trying to do, since it won't work.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:51 PM
  #199
TaketheCannoli
RIP
 
TaketheCannoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 8,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
If he's smart he won't make that deal..Odds are pretty good the Rags end up in the playoffs next year again and could do well, for all we know. Why take Drury's contract AND give up a 6th for a possible LOWER draft next year? Phoenix would be better off drafting 6th overall THIS year...If the Rangers want cap relief they're the ones that should be adding something better....
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear.

Phoenix's 6th ROUND pick

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 01:01 PM
  #200
TaketheCannoli
RIP
 
TaketheCannoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 8,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Drury went to the Rangers because he likes the area and wanted to raise his family there

Those who think Sather and Drury are not taking about a retirement (cap hit gone) then signing a deal for Druy to work in the front office are just not thinking of ways to make this a good thing.

IF Drury has to retire after this year anyway the guy is going to file papers and get his money in another way through the team
If he replaces the lost income, I suspect it will be voided as cap circumvention. Then they will still take the cap hit and could lose their 1st round pick too.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.