HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers CANNOT buy out Drury

Old
06-17-2011, 12:05 PM
93gilmour93

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
to be honest I doubt the Rangers go over $7.5 for Richards. If the Leafs want him for $8+ mill per year then they probably got him.

edit: you can decide whether or not that's a smart idea
I would. Overpay a bit and you don't have to use any assets in a trade.

93gilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:05 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Chris Drury is incapable of playing due to medical reasons and he knows it. Rather than retiring like he should, like others have done, he milks the organization for every last penny he can. So much for being such a great guy and a wonderful role model. Now we see Chris Drury's true colors.

If anyone else had a medical injury that prevented them from performing their duty as necessary, they'd be forced into early retirement. Chris Drury should be no different. Look at Rafalski, he wasn't even hurt like this.

Chris Drury is just a plain POS, I don't feel bad for him at all. He's been paid 16m for the past two seasons already and that's not enough for him, he's hanging on for more. Blame it on Sather if you want, he signed the contract too, he asked for the money, and he's choosing to hold out for it.

He's entitled to every penny of that contact. If you don't like the contract blame the GM not the player.

CB Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:08 PM
93gilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post

He's entitled to every penny of that contact. If you don't like the contact blame the GM not the player.
I agree 100 percent. He was offered the money and took it as anyone else would. Because the rangers get into a mess at the end of the contract doesn't mean anything. A contract is signed and should be lived up to till the end.

Old
06-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 View Post
I would. Overpay a bit and you don't have to use any assets in a trade.
On the other hand this is what got the Rangers into contracts like Drury, Gomez, etc

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:10 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
LTIR doesn't kick in until training camp and since Redden is already eating their summer 10% overage (and a tiny bit more), it effectively means the Rags cap is 7M lower than everyone else until training camp.

Insurance will cover most of the salary, so it's actually cheaper for NYR in terms of real dollars, but the cap implications are what really hurts.
The Rangers also already have a bunch of cap space, and McCabe, Frolov, Prospal and Fedotenko coming off the books, and possibly a Wolski buyout, so if they are after Brad Richards still, they will have the room.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:14 PM
GE0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuchManic View Post
................................yep Rags fan talking.

Why would Richards do that? LOL who do the Rags think they are? Maybe if Richards could see into a crystal ball and they win the cup. Otherwise, get real.
The arrogance of Rangers fans is hilarious. They think Richards is a definite signing, other suitors don't compare. Real funny stuff.

Especially for a team that 11 years and counting under Sather hasn't even been able to advance past the second round. But Richards is definitely going to sign there because that's his best chance for a Cup.

Because he can't wait to play with Marian Gaborik, despite Gaborik being ridiculously injury-prone and the Rangers not having a 1st line LW (and can't afford one after paying Richards).

GE0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:16 PM
93gilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
On the other hand this is what got the Rangers into contracts like Drury, Gomez, etc
The rangers problem was they signed to many high money contracts. It wouldn't hurt the team if they sign one. Other then phaneuf and kessel i don't see any other leafs making any more then $4.5 million in the next few years and only a couple of guys will reach those numbers. Everyone else will get around $2.5 or lower.

Old
06-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

Rangers should buy out Glen Sather and call it a day.

Wpg Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Sonny Lamateena

vCash: 50
Could the Rangers just delay the signings of their own RFA's until after the point where they can send Redden to the minors or Drury to LTI? Sign Richards July 1st (if that's the goal), and then sign, Callahan, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Boyle, and Sauer in September, (they can negotiate the deals long before that.)

Sonny Lamateena is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:20 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofGrond View Post
Yes. 69.5M - 7.05M from Drury - 6.5M from redden, unless I'm terribly mistaken. Leaving them with a cap of ~56M for the offseason.
As an Islanders fan I would kill if our team "could only" spend 56M. lol

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Lamateena View Post
Could the Rangers just delay the signings of their own RFA's until after the point where they can send Redden to the minors or Drury to LTI? Sign Richards July 1st (if that's the goal), and then sign, Callahan, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Boyle, and Sauer in September, (they can negotiate the deals long before that.)
They can certainly do that but it leaves them open to other teams offer sheeting those RFA's

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Blue Dragon

Quote:
Risky. It makes those players vulnerable to offer sheets.

Blue Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:23 PM
93gilmour93

Quote:
You list some pretty good young talent that i think the rangers wouldn't want to lose.

Old
06-17-2011, 12:27 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

People talk as if Offersheets are the norm rather than a rarity. Add to that the fact that Sather is quite vindictive. Not sure GMs want to get on his bad side an then find out what happens when they try to sign a RFA of their own.

In conclusion - our RFAs are not getting offersheeted

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

wouldn't this actually open up more cap space for them?

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:29 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
People talk as if Offersheets are the norm rather than a rarity. Add to that the fact that Sather is quite vindictive. Not sure GMs want to get on his bad side an then find out what happens when they try to sign a RFA of their own.

If they were unsigned going into training camp?

Ya, they'd be targets.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:29 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Yes, but only during the season. The problem is the summer cap.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Yes, because you're his agent, and you know everything that's on his mind.
So if I'm not his agent, and you say that means my opinion is invalid, what does that make you?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:31 PM
MuchManic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE0 View Post
The arrogance of Rangers fans is hilarious. They think Richards is a definite signing, other suitors don't compare. Real funny stuff.

Especially for a team that 11 years and counting under Sather hasn't even been able to advance past the second round. But Richards is definitely going to sign there because that's his best chance for a Cup.

Because he can't wait to play with Marian Gaborik, despite Gaborik being ridiculously injury-prone and the Rangers not having a 1st line LW (and can't afford one after paying Richards).

Exactly. I mean I'm not saying the Leafs are going to get Richards either but really? I'm going to be the most sought after free agent (no less a center) this summer with the richest team in the league competing for my services, and I'm going to sign for a one year deal when I'm 31 and promise you I'll sign an extension because I just KNOW I'll get the big bucks the year after even if I *knock on wood* get injured only to have my team buy me out and dump me for the next big thing. That sounds right.

MuchManic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:32 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
If they were unsigned going into training camp?

Ya, they'd be targets.
Like Staal and Dubinsky the last couple of years?

The thing about offersheets is that both sides have to agree to sign. Teams can't just come in and claim a player. None of those players have any reason to sign an offersheet.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post

what is going to do, throw his cigarette at me. I'm surprised he's not dead by now.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:35 PM
GE0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
When the season starts, sure.

But they have to carry Drury's $7.05M cap hit until the start of the season when they can put him on LTIR.

They won't be able to spend that allotment of cash/cap until then. (Redden is already accounting for the 10% summer cap overage.) And at that point, who would they spend it on?

This idea that Richards would wait is laughable. If he did wait, he'd just wait for ownership in Dallas to be cleared up and easily re-sign with them over New York. Such a joke.

GE0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
So if I'm not his agent, and you say that means my opinion is invalid, what does that make you?
Where did i say that your opinion is invalid, please don't put words in my mouth, i just said that there is a possibility that he might accept the offer sheet, while you suggest that it could never happend. And please don't try to scare me, or whatever you're trying to do, since it won't work.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:51 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
If he's smart he won't make that deal..Odds are pretty good the Rags end up in the playoffs next year again and could do well, for all we know. Why take Drury's contract AND give up a 6th for a possible LOWER draft next year? Phoenix would be better off drafting 6th overall THIS year...If the Rangers want cap relief they're the ones that should be adding something better....
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear.

Phoenix's 6th ROUND pick

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 01:01 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Drury went to the Rangers because he likes the area and wanted to raise his family there

Those who think Sather and Drury are not taking about a retirement (cap hit gone) then signing a deal for Druy to work in the front office are just not thinking of ways to make this a good thing.

IF Drury has to retire after this year anyway the guy is going to file papers and get his money in another way through the team
If he replaces the lost income, I suspect it will be voided as cap circumvention. Then they will still take the cap hit and could lose their 1st round pick too.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote