HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers CANNOT buy out Drury

Old
06-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg Jets Fan View Post
Rangers should buy out Glen Sather and call it a day.
Can't, he is on the long term insane list.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 01:56 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Rangers should sign Richards to a one year deal at the Max with the agreement that he'll sign an extension for less say 4more at 5.5m once camp starts. That gives the Rangers the high cap amount this year to take care of Drury's LTIR mess and gets Richard's signed long term for cheap, though he'll be paid like he was getting more with a front-loaded contract.
Go ahead and do that and then everyone else around the league will laugh when the Rangers are hit with Cap Circumvention penalties.

1) If a player signs a 1 year contract, he isn't eligible to sign an extension until Jan 1. So Richards cannot sign a 1 year deal with the Rangers July 2 and then an extension September 30th.

2) Even if Richards was able to do what you suggested, he wouldn't risk the chance of getting injured in that time frame between contract A and contract B. He's not going to leave guaranteed money on the table when he's looking at what could be the last contract he's going to sign. He's really not going to sign a 1 year deal in July and wait until January to sign an extension and play half an NHL season risking injury and losing the extension.

3) Any sort of secret agreement like you suggest is going to be Cap Circumvention.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 01:58 PM
birddog*

Poor Rangers...

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
wouldn't this actually open up more cap space for them?
It should in the season but it's weird with Long Term injury. in the Brooks column it says they would have to overspend by 7.05 million.

It is just asking for Sather to sign Richards then throw Drury officially on Long Term when they can

In the end it very well save them on the cap but they have to spend to get it......weird

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
If he replaces the lost income, I suspect it will be voided as cap circumvention. Then they will still take the cap hit and could lose their 1st round pick too.
say whaaaaaaaaaa. Tons of guys retire and take a job with that team in a different capactiy

the Article says his career is over. Why would he not retire and be offered a spot in the organization?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:05 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I can see why you're upset.
If i had a stroke, i would be put on sick leave (not sure if that's the right expression), until i would be able to return to do my work, or i would be given a disabeled pension if i'm unable to return to work (at least that how things work in Croatia,don't know about USA). If i had 7mil on the table, i would take it, not because of myself, but because i would want to ensure my kids future.
Who pays for your disabled pension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post

He's entitled to every penny of that contact. If you don't like the contract blame the GM not the player.
No doubt and he's making sure he's going to get it. At the end of the season he was going to come back for another year and he was pumped for it. A month or so later Sather announced he was buying Drury out. Drury didn't like the idea he was going to lose 1.67m in his buyout so now he's hurt and can't play next season. Classy guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
The dude signed a CONTRACT. THE CONTRACT states that he is bound to that team for 5 years. Don't hate on him because he wants to collect 5 million bucks. The Rangers have spent a hell of alot more on even less so quit complaining. Its Sathers fault for shelling out that much for him anyways. Just as its partially his fault that hockey players salaries are what they are. Nobody ever said a dude should get paid $7 million for skating on ice and swiping at a little black rubber thing, but your GM is the one who gave him that dough. Deal with it.

The Rangers have a history of spending as much money as possible... you aren't going to get any pity around here that's for sure.
Nope, I'm hating on him because this supposed stand up, classy respectable guy goes from being pumped for next year, to being bough out and losing 1.67m to being hurt and can't play and getting back that 1.67m and screwing his organization faster than you can say "do you want pepperoni with that pizza"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
say whaaaaaaaaaa. Tons of guys retire and take a job with that team in a different capactiy

the Article says his career is over. Why would he not retire and be offered a spot in the organization?
Because he's screwing the organization and things are ending on bad terms.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:07 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:

If he were to retire and take a job with the front office at a similar salary as to what other people around the league make for that same job, I don't think there's anything that can be done about it.

However, if he were to retire, be named something like Director of Fan Development, and be making say $800k when every other Fan Development person in the league makes say $100k, that's where the league would likely have a problem.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:14 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
It regulated within our pension system, and you usually get some ''parting'' (don't know how to describe it better) money (ranges from 2 to 3 year wages) from the firm where you've been employed.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:06 PM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:

The contract still counts against the cap if he retires. For instance Garth Snow the GM was counted against the Isle's salary cap until his contract ran out.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:23 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
It regulated within our pension system, and you usually get some ''parting'' (don't know how to describe it better) money (ranges from 2 to 3 year wages) from the firm where you've been employed.
What happens after the 3 years and you're still disabled and who pays for it?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:26 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
What happens after the 3 years and you're still disabled and who pays for it?
This is what happens, you have pension for rest of your life (this kind of pension is higer than regular one), and you get your 2 or 3 years worth of wages all at once (ie you earn 100k a year, you get 200k or 300k).

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:59 PM
stavs

goodbye sweet richards...

or atleast NY has a much more diffcult time adding him into the lineup, no doubt the leafs will probably be able to offer him more than NY as well.

stavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:02 PM
dashripdot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAVS View Post
And i think youre deluding yourself if you think that Richards is going to wait a month and a half for Redden to go through waivers.

Its very dangerous for both parties. The rangers wont spend money anywhere else because they have to hold onto it for a month and a half.
What happens if Richards gets hurt while training in the offseason. The rangers may not want to sign him anymore, and he'll be left with very few teams with cap space.
He's certainly not going to decide which team he will sign a longterm contract with based upon the possibility that he might get hurt while working out before the season starts.

dashripdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:08 PM
dashripdot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofGrond View Post
You're telling me Brad Richards is going to wait until the end of the summer to sign? I'll believe that when I ****ing see it.
Stay tuned and keep your eyes open. Although a somewhat different situation because he was a RFA (but one who could have easily attracted an offer sheet) Staal didn't re-sign with the Rangers until mid September last year, after Redden was waived to the AHL.

dashripdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:11 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:

No doubt and he's making sure he's going to get it. At the end of the season he was going to come back for another year and he was pumped for it. A month or so later Sather announced he was buying Drury out. Drury didn't like the idea he was going to lose 1.67m in his buyout so now he's hurt and can't play next season. Classy guy.

Nope, I'm hating on him because this supposed stand up, classy respectable guy goes from being pumped for next year, to being bough out and losing 1.67m to being hurt and can't play and getting back that 1.67m and screwing his organization faster than you can say "do you want pepperoni with that pizza"

So basically, you are saying that Drury is lying about having an injury?

LOL

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:15 PM
IWD
Playoff-hardened

Quote:
I think you mean that the Rangers tried to screw over Drury out of his money to replace him with something new and shiny, and things are now ending badly. Maybe you should be criticizing Ranger management for putting themselves in this mess, because he's doing exactly what most people would do. If an employer did that to me, I'd use every legal resource at my disposal to collect what is contractually owed to me.

Do you feel that a corporation known for demoting and buying out employees once they've outlived their purpose, including the intent of this situation, has any moral legitimacy in this context?

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavs View Post
goodbye sweet richards...

or atleast NY has a much more diffcult time adding him into the lineup, no doubt the leafs will probably be able to offer him more than NY as well.
Completely incorrect. Even after signing their RFAs they still can offer Richards between 7-8.5 per year.

Ruotsalainen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:23 PM
stavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruotsalainen29 View Post
Completely incorrect. Even after signing their RFAs they still can offer Richards between 7-8.5 per year.

show me

stavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavs View Post
show me
FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Wojtek Wolski ($3.800m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m)
Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.750m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.000m) / Brian Boyle ($2.000m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.000m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Michael Sauer ($1.250m)
Wade Redden ($6.500m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.067m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

SALARY CAP: $69,850,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,555,000; BONUSES: $1,275,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $8,295,000

Ruotsalainen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:45 PM
gotmonte

Jesus. Talk about A LOT OF PEOPLE BEING TOTAL MORON'S thinking THEY know all about the cap and how it goes.

Some are right, some are wrong. Some refuse to believe they are wrong. Some will prove over and over and over they are wrong yet think they are right as they do so.

WTF?

Seriously guys.

1)- This is Larry Brooks stating this
2)- Drury can do whatever he likes.

Do I like it? No

But if the Rangers dont go after Brad Richards (cause they want to keep wolski and not buy him out.. which I am unsure if thats their thinking or not) than Sather most likely will go out and TRADE for a 1C or very good 2C that is not owed a whole bunch of money yet. It will STINK TO HIGH HEAVEN to lose some really good core pieces to do so. But hey, I am not the GM nor are YOU.

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
Summer of 07 really did hamper Rangers. hahaha
Sure did. Gomez for Mcdonagh + Capspace for Gaborik.

Were stuck with dead capspace. It means SATHER CANNOT SPEND THIS YEAR. So please riddle me this batman... given sathers history of spending... How is this bad for the Rangers if Sather has no capspace to blow on free agents?? (And we then stick with homegrown talent which has revitalized this franchise.)

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:49 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Yes, because you're his agent, and you know everything that's on his mind.
Or because the Rangers could just take him to arbitration, and rule out the possibility of an offer sheet coming his way.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings View Post
If he were to retire and take a job with the front office at a similar salary as to what other people around the league make for that same job, I don't think there's anything that can be done about it.

However, if he were to retire, be named something like Director of Fan Development, and be making say $800k when every other Fan Development person in the league makes say $100k, that's where the league would likely have a problem.
The league cannot do anything about it if he makes 700k more then the rest of the staff. They could say his expertise as a player entitles him to it and then the league has nothing.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:51 PM
skroob**

Quote:
FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Wojtek Wolski ($3.800m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m)
Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.750m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.000m) / Brian Boyle ($2.000m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.000m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Michael Sauer ($1.250m)
Wade Redden ($6.500m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.067m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

SALARY CAP: $69,850,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,555,000; BONUSES: $1,275,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $8,295,000
show him, you did. And that dosent even factor that if they had to, they could get nearly another two million if they replace Avery and send MZA down to the farm and bring in guys on ELCs

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Educate me. How on earth can they spend Richards money (7-8 million) when they have both Drury and Redden against their summer cap? Because I calculate they'll have at best around 56 million to build their team considering they have to carry those two over the summer.

63.5 million cap + 6.35 10% summer cushion = 69.85 million summer cap

69.85 - 7.05 (Drury) - 6.5 (Redden) = 56.3 million

Current payroll: 33,937,500 (we'll call it 33.9 million)
Including

Forwards:
Gaborik
M.Z. Aasen
Wolski
Christensen
Prust
Avery
Stepan

Defense
Staal
McDonagh
Giradi

Goal:
Lundqvist
Biron

So 22.4 million in space with roster size of 12 meaning 10-11 players to sign for an average of about 2.2 million each. Signing Richards for say 7.4 reduces this to 15 million for 9-10 players, or about 1.5 per player. That's not a circle that can be easily squared. Especially with New York's entire top line last year of Dubinsky, Callahan and Anisemov without contracts.

So with signing Richards to 7.4 they'd have about 15 million to sign an entire top-6 line, a top-4 defenseman, 3 depth defensemen and 2-4 depth forwards.

With Drury and Redden's contracts immovably taking space on the summer cap the Rangers can be a player for Richards. Even dumping Avery and Wolski's contracts for nothing in return doesn't help that much since you still need 1-2 million to fill their roster space with nothing players so at best your getting 4.5 million in space back, with 3.5-4 more likely.

They'd have massive space during the season to trade for players but if this is the case they can't be players for free agents with Drury and Redden.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote