HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Tomas Vokoun appreciation thread

Old
06-16-2011, 07:56 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

vCash: 500
The Tomas Vokoun appreciation thread

After watching luongo melt quicker then the cheese at Pizza Time, it reminded me how lucky we are to have had vokun between the pipes soon thereafter.

Vokun was far from perfect. And there were plenty of softies. But all good goalies let those in; one just notices their own more.

Yet for his term here he gave it all game in and game out. He kept us in most games and made otherwise pathetic games fun to watch. No one here can say he didn't earn his keep, wasn't always honest, and gave us some great highlights.

So here's to you Vokie... I'm proud you wore our panther jersey and you made the jersey proud.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 08:02 AM
GCM
Stork

*appreciates*

that said Luongo did pretty well in Florida and lead them to the playoffs so I don't know why you'd take a slight at him.

If he was still playing in Florida he'd probably be even better without the pressure or the media breathing down his neck in Vancouver.

Who knows how Vokoun would react to a situation like that.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 08:10 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

I hope for vokie's sake, here or somewhere else we find out. I'll be surprised if he performs as poor as what we just witnessed ... The worst finals performance by an NHL goalie perhaps in history.

Old
06-16-2011, 08:12 AM
VAiN*
Infractions are bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
I don't know why you'd take a slight at him.
Because it's true? Are Vancouver fans really pleased with his performance?

VAiN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 08:15 AM
rex8

I hope that T-VO gets a chance for a cup. I hope he signs with a contender next season.

rex8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Quote:
*appreciates*

that said Luongo did pretty well in Florida and lead them to the playoffs so I don't know why you'd take a slight at him.

If he was still playing in Florida he'd probably be even better without the pressure or the media breathing down his neck in Vancouver.

I must have blanked out on a season because Luongo never took the Panthers to the playoffs. Unless your name is Vanbiesbrouck or Vernon (Kidd not withstanding), no Panther goalie has taken this team to the playoffs.

Did Luongo do well? He certainly did, he still holds the majority of goalie records here yet that said, I'd still rather have Vokoun. I feel safer with him in net and more importantly, the man holds himself accountable for his own actions and isn't full of himself. We need more players like Vokoun. Yes Luongo got his team to the finals, but I still wouldn't take him back over Vokoun.

Three cheers for Tomas, he doesn't get nearly enough credit here or around the rest of the NHL, he is an unsung hero for this team, just as he was for the Predators.

Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 08:34 AM
Rpbpantherfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex8 View Post
I hope that T-VO gets a chance for a cup. I hope he signs with a contender next season.
I hope we resign him and give Markstrom a few more years to develop

Rpbpantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 08:48 AM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
*appreciates*

Kidd/Vernon lead us to the playoffs in 2000, not Luongo.

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 08:51 AM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
I must have blanked out on a season because Luongo never took the Panthers to the playoffs. Unless your name is Vanbiesbrouck or Vernon (Kidd not withstanding), no Panther goalie has taken this team to the playoffs.

Did Luongo do well? He certainly did, he still holds the majority of goalie records here yet that said, I'd still rather have Vokoun. I feel safer with him in net and more importantly, the man holds himself accountable for his own actions and isn't full of himself. We need more players like Vokoun. Yes Luongo got his team to the finals, but I still wouldn't take him back over Vokoun.

Three cheers for Tomas, he doesn't get nearly enough credit here or around the rest of the NHL, he is an unsung hero for this team, just as he was for the Predators.
Kidd was AWESOME that season for us, before he dislocated his shoulder.

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 08:54 AM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Agreed, it's a shame what happened, he was never the same. That year was a two goalie effort but yes, Kidd carried the majority of the load getting us there.

Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:14 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
And did so in some dumb exhibition. And then we had to make some dumb trade for a goalie...

Old
06-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Shockley
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 1065
lets at least spell is name correctly shall we?
*Tomas
*Vokoun

Shockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Mogo
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
And did so in some dumb exhibition. And then we had to make some dumb trade for a goalie...
No..

It was Panthers own skills competion where Worrell collided into Kidd and he was injured. Just a short while before this we had traded Sean Burke (who played very good for us) for Mikhail Sthalenkov (so that we could save 1M$ in salaries, the only reason for this dumb move) and once Sthalenkov would be forced to be the #1 goalie he didn't want the role of starter (he was just in it for the money) so we ended up dealing Dvorak for Vernon.

Because of the collision Panthers never held another teams own skills competion

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 11:14 AM
Panthers 20

Wasn't it Luongo who Worrell injured? I remember, because I was there on a class trip (long time ago).

Panthers 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:26 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Ok so as I said it was a silly exhibition ( panther run) and we had to trade for Vernon to have a goalie due to the injury.

Old
06-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Erick*

Quote:
*appreciates*

He didn't do that here. (not that it was really his fault)

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
*appreciates*

The situation that led to Luongo's trade left a bitter taste in many fans' mouths for both Luongo AND Panthers' management, neither of whom acted in a classy manner back then. Both have now changed, and we're happier without them.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers 20 View Post
Wasn't it Luongo who Worrell injured? I remember, because I was there on a class trip (long time ago).
No, Trevor Kidd, who was having an All-Star kinda season until the injury in a pointless NHL-mandated team skills exhibition event. He wasn't even good, much less great, when he returned months later, and never regained that form. Until then, though, he had a less than 1.00 goals against average through I think almost 20 games. The only Panther to have problems with Luongo was Mathieu Biron. And, oh yes, I DID just mention his name

Last edited by Acadmus: 06-16-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 07:46 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
After watching luongo melt quicker then the cheese at Pizza Time, it reminded me how lucky we are to have had vokun between the pipes soon thereafter.

Vokun was far from perfect. And there were plenty of softies. But all good goalies let those in; one just notices their own more.

Yet for his term here he gave it all game in and game out. He kept us in most games and made otherwise pathetic games fun to watch. No one here can say he didn't earn his keep, wasn't always honest, and gave us some great highlights.

So here's to you Vokie... I'm proud you wore our panther jersey and you made the jersey proud.
Couldn't have tanked without him.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:35 PM
harv3317

what is this with vokoun? imo he and luongo are very similar. both let in goals at inoportune times, both let in soft goals and both are terrible puck handlers. vokoun lost us more games than he stole and they are both in around the 10-14 spot as far as rankings for goal tenders in the nhl. vokoun does not deserve the props some of you guys keep giving him!!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Knightmare

http://www.litterboxcats.com/2011/6/...cted-by-flyers

Report that Flyers have contacted Vokoun. Isn't he still under contract? Anyone think this is a big deal? could the Flyers be penalized for it?

Knightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:47 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
what is this with vokoun? imo he and luongo are very similar. both let in goals at inoportune times, both let in soft goals and both are terrible puck handlers. vokoun lost us more games than he stole and they are both in around the 10-14 spot as far as rankings for goal tenders in the nhl. vokoun does not deserve the props some of you guys keep giving him!!!
I'm sorry, but you're insane.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 10:13 PM
HockeyRulez
Panthers..... WIN!

Quote:

right on, you put it perfectly

HockeyRulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:34 AM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
No..

It was Panthers own skills competion where Worrell collided into Kidd and he was injured. Just a short while before this we had traded Sean Burke (who played very good for us) for Mikhail Sthalenkov (so that we could save 1M$ in salaries, the only reason for this dumb move) and once Sthalenkov would be forced to be the #1 goalie he didn't want the role of starter (he was just in it for the money) so we ended up dealing Dvorak for Vernon.

Because of the collision Panthers never held another teams own skills competion
Plus before the skills competition coach (Murray) wanted to have some kind of warm-up/practise but players including Kidd claimed that Players' Association will not approve such extra activity and rest is history.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:52 AM
harv3317

strange vision. sorry that is my informed opinion after watching vokoun here for the last 3 years. i'm a hockey fan, not a hero worshipper, or a personality freak. imho vokoun absolutely does not deserve all the praise that he is getting!!!! there are at least 10 other goalies better than him and his only claim to fame is one losing series in the playoffs with nashville. the guy let's in soft goals at critical times and he did not steal many games for us this year. his stick handling is atrocious as well, he's also somewhat inconsistent. the only thing i like about him is that he usually takes responsibility for his shortcommings. nashville upgraded their goaltending after vokoun left!!!!!!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote