HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Why is a big market a negative?

Old
06-17-2011, 12:06 PM
MarcWagz

vCash: 500
Why is a big market a negative?

I think it is a bit of a joke really.
Everywhere people comment on signing in Toronto and saying people don't want to do so because it is a big hockey crazy market.
But if you are a professional hockey player, mainly you are paid for performing hockey talents on ice why would you not want the biggest audience? Why would you want to go to other arenas and have them have larger and more energetic crowds cheering against you than you have at home? Why would you care if the press does their job and points out that you played badly? Why would you care that people actually give a damn about what you do for a living?
It is as if people think hockey players are the biggest whiners who don't want anybody to recognize them off the ice. People will recognize you no matter what, and whats wrong with someone on the street saying "Hi, good luck tonight come home with a win!" Yikes, sounds terrible.
Its not like our media pries the life of our athletes like the popular media (and the NBA...). I don't know how Phil Kessel's love life is going, I don't know how Nikolai Kulemin is spending his summer. Everything I do know was volunteered by the players.

So come on seriously, you have to acknowledge that it is ridiculous to consider this an issue.

MarcWagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:11 PM
mooseOAK*

It has been an issue and always will be for some players. Ask them why that is.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:12 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
A lot of players don't come out right and say they don't like the big market, but the spotlight is something players don't like. Some players just want to play hockey and go home, doesn't mean they don't want to win the Cup, they just don't want to be followed home, or asked 500 questions before every game. I'm sure Phaneuf is getting sick of them too. It's not exactly what a lot of players enjoy cause it's annoying.

DirtyDion03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:14 PM
MarcWagz

every player has questions asked to them if you are a star player
The toronto Raptors (hardly a marquee franchise) players all have longer questions after games than the Leafs.

Questions aren't the problem. If you are a grinder you will barely ever get interviewed because nobody cares what you have to say. It is the same in every market not just big ones.

MarcWagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:19 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
A lot of players don't come out right and say they don't like the big market, but the spotlight is something players don't like. Some players just want to play hockey and go home, doesn't mean they don't want to win the Cup, they just don't want to be followed home, or asked 500 questions before every game. I'm sure Phaneuf is getting sick of them too. It's not exactly what a lot of players enjoy cause it's annoying.
It would help if fans acted reasonable human beings and basically treated any player they encounter around town just like they would treat any other individual that THEY DON'T KNOW.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:20 PM
dubplatepressure

Its pretty simple to understand.

Player A plays in Toronto and has a camera and/or microphone and/or fans shoved in his face everywhere he goes. He makes millions per year.

or

Player A plays in Nashville and does not have a camera and/or microphone and/or fans shoved in his face everywhere he goes. He makes millions per year.

Can you not see why players, who are just like you and me, would prefer to have a life outside of the rink?

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

I would have a problem is Steve Simmons or Damian Cox if I played in this market.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:25 PM
SprDaVE

I find it funny that in any of the other major sports, players WANT to play for big market clubs. It's their dream and if offered, they would definitely go for the big market club. I can't think of many players that refused to sign with a big market club because they didn't want to play for that big market.

Hockey however? It's the complete opposite. I have no idea why... but it seems like it is.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:28 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcWagz View Post
People will recognize you no matter what, and whats wrong with someone on the street saying "Hi, good luck tonight come home with a win!"
Why say anything? If you're walking down the street and recognize someone as the manager of the bank you deal at but don't personally deal with, do you wish him or her good luck and tell them to go out and land a new client for the bank?"

And do you really think that all the attention is simply people wishing them good luck? How many times do you think Phil heard "So, Kessel, are you finally going to score and start earning that big contract you got?" or "Hey, Seguin. Oh, no, you're the guy that cement head Burke wasted our picks on instead."?

Frankly, in my mind, if a pro athlete or other celebrity is making some kind of personal appearance then it's okay to approach them but otherwise, if you don't know them, you should treat them like any other stranger.

Old
06-17-2011, 12:31 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
I find it funny that in any of the other major sports, players WANT to play for big market clubs. It's their dream and if offered, they would definitely go for the big market club. I can't think of many players that refused to sign with a big market club because they didn't want to play for that big market.

Hockey however? It's the complete opposite. I have no idea why... but it seems like it is.
I'd say hockey players generally don't have the same sized egos, if I had to guess.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:33 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post

The hockey media in Toronto and Montreal are really hard on players.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if taxes played a part in players not wanting to come to Canadian teams.

Old
06-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

There's a perception of players not wanting to come to big market clubs, I don't know how much truth there is to that perception.

According to Andrew Ladd, most of the thrashers are pumped to play in winnipeg, and they're coming from one of the smallest markets in the NHL...

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Heart and Passion. HOCKEY is a way of life in Canada. We take it very seriously. I'm not surprised there was rioting in Van City, built up anger & frustration will lead to that.

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Rinzler

Some people like being in the spotlight other's don't. I'm of the mindset that a professional athlete should be a part of the community and accept that's the role they play based on the career choice.

Besides if you are the shy type, you don't have to read the newspapers or do interviews.

I imagine even if you're the shy type, playing in front of empty seats isn't all that fulfilling.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:44 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
Heart and Passion. HOCKEY is a way of life in Canada. We take it very seriously. I'm not surprised there was rioting in Van City, built up anger & frustration will lead to that.
The riots were planned before anyone knew if the Canucks would win or lose.

Old
06-17-2011, 12:49 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

I think in other sports like someone said before you are still in the USA. Idk why but a lot of people like playing in the states better, not sure if its cheaper beer or more people or richer country or w/e but I feel as if u need to really want to play in canada to play here. If it was me, big market all the way because I like having the spotlight and having people ask me questions and have to sign autographs all the time ect, but that isn't for everyone

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Sundinftw

some players aren't man enough to play in a big market - too scared of the pressure and the media

Sundinftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 01:08 PM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
The hockey media in Toronto and Montreal are really hard on players.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if taxes played a part in players not wanting to come to Canadian teams.
And you don't think New York isn't hard on players? Carmelo Anthony didn't seem to mind one bit, he actually wanted it. How 'bout Lebron to Miami? He wanted the attention. There's a million other examples in any other sport. Only in hockey that a player wouldn't sign, or won't sign, with a team due to the media.

I don't buy this "I hate the media" from players. I don't buy it at all.

Players will go for the money, the role and the team direction. Anything else after is just an incentive. I agree that the taxes (which is the money part) plays a part in the decision making.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 01:13 PM
caribouPINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinftw View Post
some players aren't man enough to play in a big market - too scared of the pressure and the media
Why do teams like the Yankees and Red Sox have NO trouble attracting free agents? Everyone wants to play there!

Or what about the Lakers? Same thing.

The biggest reason is one the Leafs haven't been good at for a while. It's winning.

If the Leafs were a perennial Cup contender (ala Detroit or even like a SJ or Philly) free agents would flock to us. Having been a basement dweller for a while now it's no wonder players don't want to be forced in the limelight all while losing as well. Only so many, "hey you guys suck" and waffles can be thrown in your face.

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 01:14 PM
ponder

Some guys want to be the biggest celebrities they can be, in the spotlight as much as possible, and they don't mind the criticism, schizophrenic fans/media, and general large amounts of pressure that come with playing in a big market. Such players will see places like Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, New York, Boston, etc. as a real draw.

Other players would rather play in semi-anonymity, they still love playing hockey but have no interest in being celebrities, they want to live the "normal" life they lived pre-NHL (with more money, obviously). And they may not like the big market criticism, schizophrenic fans/media, and general large amounts of pressure. These guys will see big markets as a negative, small markets as a positive.

It really should not be hard to figure out, it's just two different types of people. Some like the spotlight and everything that comes with it, others don't.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 01:19 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
The riots were planned before anyone knew if the Canucks would win or lose.
I live in Vancouver, and I can tell you that the riots were only successful because of the schizophrenic, emotional, bandwagon fans. That's not to say that all Nucks fans are like this, there are many excellent long-time Nucks fans who know that one loss is just one loss, but there are a TONNE of bandwagon fans who buy into the whole "everyone is against us! Screw the man! Riot!" BS. It was a few anarchists who flipped the first car, but literally thousands of bandwagon-type Nucks fans joined in because of misguided feelings of frustration. This kind of thing would never happen in a small market, only in a big market like Vancouver where the team becomes everyone's life during the playoffs, even people who literally don't know ***** about hockey.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 01:41 PM
syc

Quote:
Originally Posted by IknowmorethanU View Post
Why do teams like the Yankees and Red Sox have NO trouble attracting free agents? Everyone wants to play there!

Or what about the Lakers? Same thing.

The biggest reason is one the Leafs haven't been good at for a while. It's winning.

If the Leafs were a perennial Cup contender (ala Detroit or even like a SJ or Philly) free agents would flock to us. Having been a basement dweller for a while now it's no wonder players don't want to be forced in the limelight all while losing as well. Only so many, "hey you guys suck" and waffles can be thrown in your face.
In the last 7 years how many top tier NHL players left a US based team to sign with a Canadian team as a UFA? Zero. The vast majority of NHL players cannot deal with the publicity you get playing in a Canadian city. It's either that or America really is that much better then Canada.

Even precap days when the Leafs were a contender we had to overpay to bring in players that were past their prime and could never attract tier one FAs.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 01:47 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I live in Vancouver, and I can tell you that the riots were only successful because of the schizophrenic, emotional, bandwagon fans. That's not to say that all Nucks fans are like this, there are many excellent long-time Nucks fans who know that one loss is just one loss, but there are a TONNE of bandwagon fans who buy into the whole "everyone is against us! Screw the man! Riot!" BS. It was a few anarchists who flipped the first car, but literally thousands of bandwagon-type Nucks fans joined in because of misguided feelings of frustration. This kind of thing would never happen in a small market, only in a big market like Vancouver where the team becomes everyone's life during the playoffs, even people who literally don't know ***** about hockey.
Canucks fans generally speaking are the worst in hockey but from the Facebook site that they are using to try to identify the rioters they seem to be comprised of the 20 something a-holes who planned to riot regardless and a bunch of suburban high school kids that decided to join in because I guess that they thought it was cool. That doesn't characterize the entirety of the fan base because for every one of the people that were in the riot there are hundreds and hundreds trying to turn them in to the police.

Old
06-17-2011, 02:09 PM
christof53

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
I think in other sports like someone said before you are still in the USA. Idk why but a lot of people like playing in the states better, not sure if its cheaper beer or more people or richer country or w/e but I feel as if u need to really want to play in canada to play here. If it was me, big market all the way because I like having the spotlight and having people ask me questions and have to sign autographs all the time ect, but that isn't for everyone
I would assume most atheltes would prefer playing in the United States over Canada because they would get paid in USD, and there is significantly less tax on every paycheque.

christof53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Vexxed14

It's not really a negative at all.

The majority of players want to be famous. That's what they play for just like every other sport. This applies especially to good players who don't really envision themselves sucking

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote