HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ottawa Senators 2011 draft preview

Old
06-17-2011, 01:00 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Ottawa Senators 2011 draft preview

The Ottawa Senators possess the 6th and 21st pick in the 2011 NHL draft.

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:28 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 145
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Thanks for sharing

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Caje

How the hell are Silfverberg, Wiercioch and Caporusso ahead of Butler? And for that matter, how is Rundblad ahead of Cowen?

Caje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 12:11 AM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDre View Post
How the hell are Silfverberg, Wiercioch and Caporusso ahead of Butler? And for that matter, how is Rundblad ahead of Cowen?
All of those are legitimate, except for Caporusso ahead of Butler.

Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 12:17 AM
Rumcajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
All of those are legitimate, except for Caporusso ahead of Butler.
Exactly, his numbers have dropped the last two years for a supposed playmaker. Whats a comparison for this guy? I remember watching a few of his highlights and he seemed like nothing special.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 12:20 AM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanuck619 View Post
Exactly, his numbers have dropped the last two years for a supposed playmaker. Whats a comparison for this guy? I remember watching a few of his highlights and he seemed like nothing special.
Yup, not to mention his lack of size either. He's a boom or bust, with an emphasis on bust.

Old
06-18-2011, 12:25 AM
Shanny
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanuck619 View Post
Basically Nathan Gerbe with less skill

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 06:19 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Silfverberg and Wiercioch could realistically become much better players than Butler, even though Butler is 4 years older and much closer to making an impact in the NHL.

Silfverberg for example arguably just had a better season at 20 yo in the SEL (a comparable league to the AHL) than Butler did at 24 in the AHL. Plus, Silfverberg is much bigger and expected to be a much better defensive player at the NHL level. Silfverberg was 22nd in points and 8th in goals in the SEL.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 07:57 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Rundblad just had a record breaking season in the 3rd best league in the world (the SEL is usually regarded as a better league than the AHL.) Cowen was still playing in the WHL and they're the same age. Plus, if you watch Rundblad play he just oozes talent, he has size, he's strong, and he has the ability to really become the best defenceman on this team by quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Silfverberg and Wiercioch could realistically become much better players than Butler, even though Butler is 4 years older and much closer to making an impact in the NHL.

Silfverberg for example arguably just had a better season at 20 yo in the SEL (a comparable league to the AHL) than Butler did at 24 in the AHL. Plus, Silfverberg is much bigger and expected to be a much better defensive player at the NHL level. Silfverberg was 22nd in points and 8th in goals in the SEL.
Again, Silfverberg has a much better two-way game, size, and skill on Butler plus he's younger and did better in a better league this year. Wierchioch is regarded as a project but again, very young (compared to Butler) and showing signs of promise early in his career.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:29 AM
Tuna99

Robyn Lehner should easily be our top Prosepct, he has top 10 NHL goalie potential, besides Cowen he has such an incredible resume already for a 19 year old - He and Cowen are our top prospects in my eyes - as far as guys that help you win games,

Rundbald = Kaberle
Lehner = Thomas
Cowen = Chara

I know which of these plyers I'd take, easily Cowen and Lehner above Rundblad.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:33 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
Robyn Lehner should easily be our top Prosepct, he has top 10 NHL goalie potential, besides Cowen he has such an incredible resume already for a 19 year old - He and Cowen are our top prospects in my eyes - as far as guys that help you win games,

Rundbald = Kaberle
Lehner = Thomas
Cowen = Chara

I know which of these plyers I'd take, easily Cowen and Lehner above Rundblad.
I would take Keith over Seabrook over Neimi.

Your comparisons aren't very helpful, they look like spur of the moment comparisons without a lot of consideration put into making them.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:35 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Kaberle and Rundblad are nothing alike. WTF?

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:17 AM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
Kaberle and Rundblad are nothing alike. WTF?
Nothing alike? They're mobile, very skilled players that don't contribute a whole lot to the physical game and have question marks around their defense? They're a lot alike, although I'm certainly hoping David will be a little more physical than Kabs.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
Nothing alike? They're mobile, very skilled players that don't contribute a whole lot to the physical game and have question marks around their defense? They're a lot alike, although I'm certainly hoping David will be a little more physical than Kabs.
I agree, and because you are so great with Swedish prospects, I have a question.

Despite the similarities to Kaberle, don't you think Rundblad's major difference is that he likes to jump up in the play more?

Old
06-18-2011, 10:53 AM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
I agree, and because you are so great with Swedish prospects, I have a question.

Despite the similarities to Kaberle, don't you think Rundblad's major difference is that he likes to jump up in the play more?
Yes, you're absolutely right. The big question about him is if he can translate those plays where he jumps up and the plays where he carries the puck a long way himself to the NHL.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 12:05 PM
jamwires

Rundblad will be better than Kaberle.

jamwires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 12:19 PM
petelevi

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
Yes, you're absolutely right. The big question about him is if he can translate those plays where he jumps up and the plays where he carries the puck a long way himself to the NHL.
Rundblad also shoots more than Kaberle.

petelevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Shanny
Let's Win It All

If Rundblad turns out to be the next Kaberle(pre 2010)....I would be satisfied. Hope he is better though.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Caje

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post

17 points in his first AHL playoffs > Silfverberg's SEL season. 21 points in 36 NHL games is what makes him a better prospect than Silfverberg. Silfverberg hasn't even proven he's capable of playing on a smaller ice surface.

Caje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 05:05 PM
MattSens65

Quote:
17 points in his first AHL playoffs > Silfverberg's SEL season. 21 points in 36 NHL games is what makes him a better prospect than Silfverberg. Silfverberg hasn't even proven he's capable of playing on a smaller ice surface.
Most of those 21 points were earned while playing on Spezza wing, on the first line. Plus, Silfverberg is about 3 years younger than Butler, so even if Butler is the better player now, im convinced that if everything goes well, Siflverberg should become the better player.

MattSens65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 05:44 PM
lafite

Of the guys playing in Europe, who will actually be trying to make the Sens this year? I think some are already under contract to their SEL teams for next year, no?

lafite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 05:54 PM
Karl Cowensson
I has cheezburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafite View Post
Of the guys playing in Europe, who will actually be trying to make the Sens this year? I think some are already under contract to their SEL teams for next year, no?
If Petersson's recovery goes well, he might, as will Rundblad. Silfverburg is signed but on loan next season to the SEL. I don't think any of the other Swedish prospects are ready.

God, I'm still amazed we got Rundblad for a mid round 1st. His stock has done nothing but rise since then.

Karl Cowensson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 06:09 PM
lafite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Cowensson View Post
If Petersson's recovery goes well, he might, as will Rundblad. Silfverburg is signed but on loan next season to the SEL. I don't think any of the other Swedish prospects are ready.

God, I'm still amazed we got Rundblad for a mid round 1st. His stock has done nothing but rise since then.
It will be an interesting situation on defense this year. With Cowan and Rundblad trying to get a job, and at least 6 others on one way contracts, something has got to give. I assume there will only be room for one of those 2 guys, so it should be a good training camp and pre-season.

Old
06-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Mathieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafite View Post
It will be an interesting situation on defense this year. With Cowan and Rundblad trying to get a job, and at least 6 others on one way contracts, something has got to give. I assume there will only be room for one of those 2 guys, so it should be a good training camp and pre-season.
Cowen, it's Jared Cowen.

Mathieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 06:53 PM
lafite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu View Post
Cowen, it's Jared Cowen.
wasn't planning on sending him a Christmas card, but thanks anyway Mathew