HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ottawa Senators 2011 draft preview

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-17-2011, 01:00 PM
  #1
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country:
Posts: 9,773
vCash: 500
Ottawa Senators 2011 draft preview

The Ottawa Senators possess the 6th and 21st pick in the 2011 NHL draft.

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:28 PM
  #2
OmniSens
@OmniSenators
 
OmniSens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,599
vCash: 145
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Thanks for sharing

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:52 PM
  #3
Caje
Registered User
 
Caje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
How the hell are Silfverberg, Wiercioch and Caporusso ahead of Butler? And for that matter, how is Rundblad ahead of Cowen?

Caje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 12:11 AM
  #4
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDre View Post
How the hell are Silfverberg, Wiercioch and Caporusso ahead of Butler? And for that matter, how is Rundblad ahead of Cowen?
All of those are legitimate, except for Caporusso ahead of Butler.

Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 12:17 AM
  #5
Rumcajs
Registered User
 
Rumcajs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
All of those are legitimate, except for Caporusso ahead of Butler.
Exactly, his numbers have dropped the last two years for a supposed playmaker. Whats a comparison for this guy? I remember watching a few of his highlights and he seemed like nothing special.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 12:20 AM
  #6
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanuck619 View Post
Exactly, his numbers have dropped the last two years for a supposed playmaker. Whats a comparison for this guy? I remember watching a few of his highlights and he seemed like nothing special.
Yup, not to mention his lack of size either. He's a boom or bust, with an emphasis on bust.

Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 12:25 AM
  #7
Shanny
Let's Win It All
 
Shanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bytown
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanuck619 View Post
Exactly, his numbers have dropped the last two years for a supposed playmaker. Whats a comparison for this guy? I remember watching a few of his highlights and he seemed like nothing special.
Basically Nathan Gerbe with less skill

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 06:19 AM
  #8
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDre View Post
How the hell are Silfverberg, Wiercioch and Caporusso ahead of Butler? And for that matter, how is Rundblad ahead of Cowen?
Silfverberg and Wiercioch could realistically become much better players than Butler, even though Butler is 4 years older and much closer to making an impact in the NHL.

Silfverberg for example arguably just had a better season at 20 yo in the SEL (a comparable league to the AHL) than Butler did at 24 in the AHL. Plus, Silfverberg is much bigger and expected to be a much better defensive player at the NHL level. Silfverberg was 22nd in points and 8th in goals in the SEL.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 07:57 AM
  #9
Curtinho
YNWA
 
Curtinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDre View Post
How the hell are Silfverberg, Wiercioch and Caporusso ahead of Butler? And for that matter, how is Rundblad ahead of Cowen?
Rundblad just had a record breaking season in the 3rd best league in the world (the SEL is usually regarded as a better league than the AHL.) Cowen was still playing in the WHL and they're the same age. Plus, if you watch Rundblad play he just oozes talent, he has size, he's strong, and he has the ability to really become the best defenceman on this team by quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Silfverberg and Wiercioch could realistically become much better players than Butler, even though Butler is 4 years older and much closer to making an impact in the NHL.

Silfverberg for example arguably just had a better season at 20 yo in the SEL (a comparable league to the AHL) than Butler did at 24 in the AHL. Plus, Silfverberg is much bigger and expected to be a much better defensive player at the NHL level. Silfverberg was 22nd in points and 8th in goals in the SEL.
Again, Silfverberg has a much better two-way game, size, and skill on Butler plus he's younger and did better in a better league this year. Wierchioch is regarded as a project but again, very young (compared to Butler) and showing signs of promise early in his career.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:29 AM
  #10
Tuna99
Registered User
 
Tuna99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,371
vCash: 500
Robyn Lehner should easily be our top Prosepct, he has top 10 NHL goalie potential, besides Cowen he has such an incredible resume already for a 19 year old - He and Cowen are our top prospects in my eyes - as far as guys that help you win games,

Rundbald = Kaberle
Lehner = Thomas
Cowen = Chara

I know which of these plyers I'd take, easily Cowen and Lehner above Rundblad.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:33 AM
  #11
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
Robyn Lehner should easily be our top Prosepct, he has top 10 NHL goalie potential, besides Cowen he has such an incredible resume already for a 19 year old - He and Cowen are our top prospects in my eyes - as far as guys that help you win games,

Rundbald = Kaberle
Lehner = Thomas
Cowen = Chara


I know which of these plyers I'd take, easily Cowen and Lehner above Rundblad.
I would take Keith over Seabrook over Neimi.

Your comparisons aren't very helpful, they look like spur of the moment comparisons without a lot of consideration put into making them.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:35 AM
  #12
Curtinho
YNWA
 
Curtinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,899
vCash: 500
Kaberle and Rundblad are nothing alike. WTF?

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:17 AM
  #13
sg58
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
Kaberle and Rundblad are nothing alike. WTF?
Nothing alike? They're mobile, very skilled players that don't contribute a whole lot to the physical game and have question marks around their defense? They're a lot alike, although I'm certainly hoping David will be a little more physical than Kabs.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:22 AM
  #14
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
Nothing alike? They're mobile, very skilled players that don't contribute a whole lot to the physical game and have question marks around their defense? They're a lot alike, although I'm certainly hoping David will be a little more physical than Kabs.
I agree, and because you are so great with Swedish prospects, I have a question.

Despite the similarities to Kaberle, don't you think Rundblad's major difference is that he likes to jump up in the play more?

Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:53 AM
  #15
sg58
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
I agree, and because you are so great with Swedish prospects, I have a question.

Despite the similarities to Kaberle, don't you think Rundblad's major difference is that he likes to jump up in the play more?
Yes, you're absolutely right. The big question about him is if he can translate those plays where he jumps up and the plays where he carries the puck a long way himself to the NHL.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 12:05 PM
  #16
jamwires
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 1,044
vCash: 500
Rundblad will be better than Kaberle.

jamwires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 12:19 PM
  #17
petelevi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
Yes, you're absolutely right. The big question about him is if he can translate those plays where he jumps up and the plays where he carries the puck a long way himself to the NHL.
Rundblad also shoots more than Kaberle.

petelevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 12:23 PM
  #18
Shanny
Let's Win It All
 
Shanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bytown
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,265
vCash: 500
If Rundblad turns out to be the next Kaberle(pre 2010)....I would be satisfied. Hope he is better though.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 04:13 PM
  #19
Caje
Registered User
 
Caje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Silfverberg and Wiercioch could realistically become much better players than Butler, even though Butler is 4 years older and much closer to making an impact in the NHL.

Silfverberg for example arguably just had a better season at 20 yo in the SEL (a comparable league to the AHL) than Butler did at 24 in the AHL. Plus, Silfverberg is much bigger and expected to be a much better defensive player at the NHL level. Silfverberg was 22nd in points and 8th in goals in the SEL.
17 points in his first AHL playoffs > Silfverberg's SEL season. 21 points in 36 NHL games is what makes him a better prospect than Silfverberg. Silfverberg hasn't even proven he's capable of playing on a smaller ice surface.

Caje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 05:05 PM
  #20
MattSens65
Registered User
 
MattSens65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDre View Post
17 points in his first AHL playoffs > Silfverberg's SEL season. 21 points in 36 NHL games is what makes him a better prospect than Silfverberg. Silfverberg hasn't even proven he's capable of playing on a smaller ice surface.
Most of those 21 points were earned while playing on Spezza wing, on the first line. Plus, Silfverberg is about 3 years younger than Butler, so even if Butler is the better player now, im convinced that if everything goes well, Siflverberg should become the better player.

MattSens65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 05:44 PM
  #21
lafite
 
lafite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,235
vCash: 500
Of the guys playing in Europe, who will actually be trying to make the Sens this year? I think some are already under contract to their SEL teams for next year, no?

lafite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 05:54 PM
  #22
Karl Cowensson
I has cheezburger
 
Karl Cowensson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafite View Post
Of the guys playing in Europe, who will actually be trying to make the Sens this year? I think some are already under contract to their SEL teams for next year, no?
If Petersson's recovery goes well, he might, as will Rundblad. Silfverburg is signed but on loan next season to the SEL. I don't think any of the other Swedish prospects are ready.

God, I'm still amazed we got Rundblad for a mid round 1st. His stock has done nothing but rise since then.

Karl Cowensson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 06:09 PM
  #23
lafite
 
lafite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Cowensson View Post
If Petersson's recovery goes well, he might, as will Rundblad. Silfverburg is signed but on loan next season to the SEL. I don't think any of the other Swedish prospects are ready.

God, I'm still amazed we got Rundblad for a mid round 1st. His stock has done nothing but rise since then.
It will be an interesting situation on defense this year. With Cowan and Rundblad trying to get a job, and at least 6 others on one way contracts, something has got to give. I assume there will only be room for one of those 2 guys, so it should be a good training camp and pre-season.

lafite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 06:40 PM
  #24
Mathieu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafite View Post
It will be an interesting situation on defense this year. With Cowan and Rundblad trying to get a job, and at least 6 others on one way contracts, something has got to give. I assume there will only be room for one of those 2 guys, so it should be a good training camp and pre-season.
Cowen, it's Jared Cowen.

Mathieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 06:53 PM
  #25
lafite
 
lafite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu View Post
Cowen, it's Jared Cowen.
wasn't planning on sending him a Christmas card, but thanks anyway Mathew

lafite is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.