HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Sudbury Wolves 2011-12 Season Thread

Old
06-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Loosie

vCash: 500
*OFFICIAL* Sudbury Wolves 2011-12 Season Thread

I might as well start the thread. With Foligno all but gone, who will be captain this year? I really don't see Buffalo returning Foligno, if he doesn't make the Sabres out of training camp as much as I'd like to see them send him back for one more year I think he'd be better served in the AHL.

So plans for Captain, Sgarbossa? McFadden? someone younger like Campagna?

BTW, Congrats to Campagna on getting invited to the summer under 18 team Canada.

EDIT: And also just annouced is Sgarbossa heading to the Summer World Junoir's training camp.

Last edited by Loosie: 06-17-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Loosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Schennsation
Show goes on

Does it look like Nick Baptiste will be ready to start the season?

Schennsation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Loosie

No word on him yet, the only I saw was this new bit about Nick Baptiste missing the Team Ontario Under 17 Camp

"The Sudbury Wolves would also like to acknowledge the continued progress of first-round selection NICK BAPTISTE from his surgery which will prevent him from participating in the UNDER 17 FINAL CAMP"

Maybe by training camp then?

Old
06-20-2011, 08:54 AM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schennsation View Post
Does it look like Nick Baptiste will be ready to start the season?
My nephew goes to school with him, and from all the talk he will be fine for training camp, if not somewhat sooner.

Extrapolating from what I've heard, its probably only contact that is the issue. A month or so ago he was doing track and field (running), 100M relay and doing very well. That would indicate structurally the shoulder is sound as sprinting really does use a lot of shoulder.

It probably will slow down a bit of his training. Not sure if he is doing weight training, but he should be soon. He has a big frame, he needs to fill that out some. Based on his fathers size I'd suggest he can easily fill out his current frame in the 210 range with some work (say 2, 3 years down the road), and they list him at 175 now. Losing 6 months of heavy training will affect that more than anything.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Loosie

Congrats to Josh Leivo drafted 86th overall to Toronto, Justin Sefton 89th overall to San Jose, and Frank Corrado 150th overall to Vancouver.

Old
06-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Schennsation
Show goes on

Great showing by the wolves at the draft today

Old
06-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Loosie

Sudbury had a busy day yesterday during the import draft.

First off the Traded Kyle Shaw to the Greyhounds for a conditional pick in the 2012 OHL Draft.

They traded down in the Import draft acquireing Bramptons' 19th overall pick, the 1st round pick in the 2012 import draft, and a 4th round pick in the 2012 OHL draft for the Wolves 1st round pick in the 2011 CHL Impoer draft (10th overall)

With the 19th pick they picked up Swedish Goaltender Johan Mattsson, who has already confirmed that he will play in Sudbury next year.

Then the Wolves traded thier 49th overall pick in the import draft to Sarina, for Sarnia's 57th overall pick and a 13th round selection in the 2013 OHL draft. Withthe 57th pick they sleceted Check forward Jiri Sekac.

The Wolves still have Andrei Kuchin under contract, so they are going to have to make some hard choices. I honestly see Kuchin as the odd man out, becuase he would be taking both an import slot and a overager slot. Mattsson seems to be a lock, so it really depends on the play between Kuchin and Sekac.

Old
07-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Schennsation
Show goes on

In the sudbury star the wolves gm said they would take Kuchin back even with him taking 2 spots up

Old
07-31-2011, 05:55 AM
howlman

Part 1: 2011/12 Wolves

My predictions: Sudbury will surprise alot of people this year. They have a nice young core in place, and are probably one year away from contending depending on the development of certain key guys. I believe they can finish 4th in the eastern conference this year and have home ice advantage for the first round. As for captain, Sgarbossa would be my pick.

Line up:

1. Kuchin Sgarbossa Leivo

(If the playoffs were any indication, this could be one of the best lines in the OHL, they have amazing chemistry together. From what I've heard Kuchin will be back as an OA/Import player. Kuchin and Leivo should be at least point per game players if not more playing with Sgarbossa. Sgarbossa is the star, and I predict he finishes top-10 in OHL scoring for points and goals. A 100 point season isn't out of the question for Sgarbossa. I'll also go on record saying he will make team Canada for the World Juniors, people don't realize how good this kid is!)

2. MacDonald Campagna Pancel

(I expect MacDonald back as an OA and he should be good for at least 20 goals, will provide a veteran presence on the 2nd line. Campagna is gonna be the real wild card for Sudbury's offence. Can he elevate his game to the next level and become one of the Wolves go to guys? He has loads of skill, very nice hands and playmaking abilities. I can see Campagna having a good year and with more playing time and power play minutes he should be good for at least 50 points. Hopefully he makes the under-18 Canada team and with a good year, he will hear his name at the 2012 NHL draft. Pancel is my darkhorse as being one of the top rookie players this year in the OHL. Arguably one of the best 1994 born players not playing in the OHL last year, this kid was lights out in the CJHL as a 16 year old. He finished in the top-5 for goals with 37, finished in the top-20 for points, and ended up being rookie of the year for good reason. The type of numbers he put up in the CJHL where he played against guys 2-4 years older then him were simply amazing. Watch for this kid.)

3. Racino Jambrosich Silk

4. Schutt Kontos Baptiste

Extra forward: Harris

More to come on the Wolves defence where I see a huge log jam upcoming with lots of battles at training camp for 6 defence openings, and the goalie situation with a certain Swede coming in! Stay tuned for Part 2!

Last edited by howlman: 08-18-2011 at 02:19 AM.
howlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:22 AM
Loosie

Campagna has been named to Canada's u-18 team to play in the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournment August 8-13. Congrats to Matthew! No TV or radio coverage, but you can check Hockey Canada's website (or probably even IIHF's website) for coverage.

http://www.sudburywolves.com/article...-under-18-team

Old
08-08-2011, 11:37 AM
jamo27

@ howlman

Looks good to me as far as forwards go.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the defense. I'm thinking they likely go with the 6 vets, and maybe Mintz and DeHaan as extras???

For goal: Riley vs O'Neill for the back up job.

jamo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Loosie

Charlie Dodero has earned a tryout with Boston Bruins for Training Camp. Also missed was Josh McFadden's invitation to the Habs camp.

Here's the article for Charlie:

http://www.sudburywolves.com/article...rns-nhl-tryout

Old
08-18-2011, 02:15 AM
howlman

Part 2: 2011/12 Wolves

Defence:

1. Corrado Sefton

(Wolves top defence pairing from last season. Both players took great steps in improving last season and will continue to get better and better. Sefton drafted by San Jose and Corrado drafted by Vancouver.)

2. McFadden Dodero

(Another defence pair from last season. Congrats to Dodero on the invite to the Boston Bruins camp, well earned. Very underated player who is very solid defensively and adds grit. McFadden invited to the Montreal Canadians camp, finished 3rd overall in Dman scoring for points, quarterbacked Sudbury's NO. 1 power play last season, is looking like an OA candidate. He could very well sign with Montreal and play pro if he impresses. Needs to improve on his giveaways, especially on the PP when it leads to other teams shorthanded goals. There's no denying his bullet shot and offensive abilities on the PP and rush, I expect him back as one of the Wolves OA's.)

3. Schumacher Corbett

(Love the potential of these two young Dmen. Schumacher not only has some offensive potential, he's physical and can hit hard. Schumacher had a solid playoff last season. With a good season I believe he can really get on the radar of NHL scouts as he's eligible for the 2012 NHL draft. Corbett is my darkhorse player to steal a spot on defence. Great skater and solid defensively, a smart player who makes a great first pass out of the zone. This guy will surprise some people especially if he put on some muscle in the off season. Another eligible player for the 2012 NHL draft, has the tools NHL scouts look for in a Dman, reminds me alot of Wolves prospect Brennan Serville.)

extra Dmen: Hanes, Mintz

(a move would probably be made to give ice time to one of these Dmen- tough decisions come training camp and exhibition games to see who cracks this defence core.)

Wildcard Dman- Brennan Serville. Drafted by the Winnipeg Jets and is committed to play with the University of Michigan this upcoming season. He will go where the Jets want him to, and the Jets really like their CHL players. Lets hope the Jets point him in the Wolves direction.

Goalies:

1. Johan Mattsson

(Wolves address a huge need in goal by selecting Mattsson in the Import draft. Big goalie who covers lots of net and has good athletic ability. 7th round selection of the Chicago Blackhawks. Led the Swedish elite junior league last season in save percentage. Just recently competed in the Under 20 Lake Placid tournament and was solid winning both his starts against Finland and USA (championship game). News conference today for the Wolves - my guess is Mattsson is in town and will be signed and introduced! Welcome Johan!

2. Jacob Riley

Last edited by howlman: 08-18-2011 at 02:25 AM.
Old
08-18-2011, 02:54 PM
Loosie

Sudbury has annouce that Mattson has offically signed his contract to play in Sudbury this year. It also sounds like he's a favorite to be in net for Sweden at the World Juniors.

Here is the article from the Wolves site.

http://www.sudburywolves.com/article...ves-in-sudbury

Old
08-20-2011, 05:12 AM
TheNorth
Better Call Saul

Looking forward to the ohl season as much as the nhl season, Wolves should be strong this year

TheNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Loosie

So the Wolves website says that Foligno will report for camp tomorrow, is this in case he does get sent back? It sems unlikely that he would so why go to camp? Or is this so he can get that extra bit of training in?

Old
08-31-2011, 09:50 PM
TheNorth
Better Call Saul

Anyone think Mcfadden can have a season like Ellis had? 80-100 points

TheNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 07:05 AM
ottawah

Baptiste

Heard at a local rink last night that Baptiste is cleared for full play now.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Tigers1992

Just an FYI Wolves fans.

Looks like Joel Vienneau will be headed to Sudbury. He was cut from his USHL team for off ice issues. He had a commitment to the U of Minnesota.

Id expct him to come in and push Mattsson for the #1 job.

Bad news for Jacob Riley and Brendan O'Niell

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Loosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Just an FYI Wolves fans.

Looks like Joel Vienneau will be headed to Sudbury. He was cut from his USHL team for off ice issues. He had a commitment to the U of Minnesota.

Id expct him to come in and push Mattsson for the #1 job.

Bad news for Jacob Riley and Brendan O'Niell
If there were 'off-ice issues' would we really want someone like that here? I don't see a problem with Mattsson as #1 and Riley/O'Neill fighting for backup. That being any chance to improve the team I guess they have to go for it.

Old
09-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post
If there were 'off-ice issues' would we really want someone like that here? I don't see a problem with Mattsson as #1 and Riley/O'Neill fighting for backup. That being any chance to improve the team I guess they have to go for it.
http://www.mlive.com/lumberjacks/ind..._cut_ties.html

Thats the link to the story.

There is a pretty big difference skill wise between Vienneau and the other two. In my opinion, he could challenge Mattsson for the #1.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:46 PM
howlman

Blue vs. White Game:

Blue team wins 8-5.

Shots were 38 to 20 in favour of team blue after two periods and final shots I believe were 45 to 28 in favour of blue.

Goalies for team Blue – Taylor Dupuis (played 1st period allowed 4 goals), Brendan O’Neill (played 2nd period allowed 1 goal) and Johan Mattsson (played 3rd period let in no goals)

Goalies for team White – Alex Laino (played 1st period allowed 3 goals), Jacob Riley (played 2nd period allowed 5 goals – rough outing for Riley) and Joel Vienneau (played 3rd period let in no goals)

Scoring Summary (might have missed some assists),

1st
WHITE: Sgarbossa from Kuchin, Corrado
BLUE: Harris from Jesseau
WHITE: Scott
BLUE: Kontos from Hanes
BLUE: McFadden from Harris
WHITE: Kuchin from Sgarbossa, Mitchell
WHITE: Corrado from Kuchin, Sgarbossa

2nd
BLUE: Campagna
BLUE: DeHaan from Jesseau, Leivo
BLUE: Ryan from Pancel, Kontos
BLUE: Leivo from Silk, Campagna
BLUE: Jesseau
WHITE: Schumacher

3rd
NO SCORING (Mattsson and Vienneau shut the door – potential battle between these two for the No.1 spot? I think so.)

Notes:

- Sgarbossa and Kuchin are a treat to watch play together. Played on a line with Scott Mitchell. Was the White's best line.

- Silk, Campagna and Leivo formed what I thought was the Blue's best line.

- Dustin Jesseau - free agent invite - a goal and two assists, was flying out there has good speed.

- Jacob Harris - Wolves 2nd rounder from 2011 - a goal and an assist, looked good out there wins battles and is a digger.

Last edited by howlman: 09-03-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old
09-03-2011, 05:52 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
http://www.mlive.com/lumberjacks/ind..._cut_ties.html

Thats the link to the story.

There is a pretty big difference skill wise between Vienneau and the other two. In my opinion, he could challenge Mattsson for the #1.
It's interesting that in the article, Muskegon clearly states that they are cutting ties with Vienneau. But that's not what it sounds like according to Vienneau's quote on the Wolves' website:

VIENNEAU's decision to leave the USHL for the OHL was a difficult one but he’s glad that he did. "The OHL is a better league and NHL scouts watch every OHL game. At this point of my hockey career, my goal is to play hockey as long as I can, attend college and graduate from university down the road. I believe that the OHL is the best fit for me at this point of my career. I look forward to the challenge of earning a job with the Wolves and concluding my junior career in Sudbury."

Somebody is lying!!!

ottawafan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 05:59 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlman View Post
Blue vs. White Game:

Blue team wins 8-5.

Shots were 38 to 20 in favour of team blue after two periods and final shots I believe were 45 to 28 in favour of blue.

Goalies for team Blue – Taylor Dupuis (played 1st period allowed 4 goals), Brendan O’Neill (played 2nd period allowed 1 goal) and Johan Mattsson (played 3rd period let in no goals)

Goalies for team White – Alex Laino (played 1st period allowed 3 goals), Jacob Riley (played 2nd period allowed 5 goals – rough outing for Riley) and Joel Vienneau (played 3rd period let in no goals)

Scoring Summary (might have missed some assists),

1st
WHITE: Sgarbossa from Kuchin, Corrado
BLUE: Harris from Jesseau
WHITE: Comtois
BLUE: Kontos from Hanes
BLUE: McFadden from Harris
WHITE: Kuchin from Sgarbossa, Mitchell
WHITE: Corrado from Kuchin, Sgarbossa

2nd
BLUE: Campagna
BLUE: DeHaan from Jesseau, Leivo
BLUE: Ryan from Pancel, Kontos
BLUE: Leivo from Silk, Campagna
BLUE: Jesseau
WHITE: Schumacher

3rd
NO SCORING (Mattsson and Vienneau shut the door – potential battle between these two for the No.1 spot? I think so.)

Notes:

- Sgarbossa and Kuchin are a treat to watch play together. Played on a line with Scott Mitchell. Was the White's best line.

- Silk, Campagna and Leivo formed what I thought was the Blue's best line.

- Dustin Jesseau - free agent invite - a goal and two assists, was flying out there has good speed.

- Jacob Harris - Wolves 2nd rounder from 2011 - a goal and an assist, looked good out there wins battles and is a digger.
Did Baptiste not play?

ottawafan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Schennsation
Show goes on

Baptiste still out with injury