HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leaf fans, do you really want Brad Richards?

Old
06-17-2011, 07:37 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

vCash: 500
this team has a good core of young peices being formed in Kessel, Kuelmin, Schenn, Phaneuf and depending on how he does next season maybe Reimer to.

They also have some solid peices in the system in gardnier, Colborne Kadri (ok Kadri is no longer in the system but he isn't far removed.), Blacker, Ross and Mckeeg plus whoever they end up with in round one.

The Leafs need that one guy to pull the team together and take to next step in the rebuild that guy might be Richards or it might be somebody els but we need to make a move.

Like I said we have some good peices already in place and more coming on the farm in the next couple years. we just need that one guy that can help us take the next step.

Personally I offer Richards 6 years 8.5 million per because if he were a Leaf then IMO the big work is done then you move on to adding depth.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:40 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Sorry Op not a Leaf fan but i will give my opinion considering this is Trade/Free agent talk. What he wants and what he gets are 2 different things. And if a team wants to wrap him up for that many years on a bloated contact NYI NYR might be his best option.

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Woll Smoth

vCash: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
When all is said and done Richards will have a full NTC. As to whether that lowers his salary we'll never really know. He WILL have one though, I can assure you.

That quote means as little as the third hand quote that supposedly said Richards preferred to stay out of the spotlight. It would be like a soon-to-be free agent MLB player coming out and saying that he hates New York. Even if the intent is just to get the Yankees to drive up the price the Angels will pay so he can live and work in southern California, you listen to the big city spenders.
Yeah, a quote coming from Richards himself means just as much as some made up quotes on HFboards

Woll Smoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:49 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnet43 View Post
Recent concussion issue, 31 years of age. Rumored to be intersted in an 8 year deal at around $8.5-9.0 M.

So do Leaf fans really want to take the risk of committing all that term and all that salary?

By the way, this thread is directed to Leafs fans ONLY. Please and thank you
Yes. Where is another 90+ point center? Find me the 22 year old 90+ point center that makes 3 million and I'll say no but that player doesn't exist. At least from a standpoint that he is available. If the Leafs want a number one center there is only one way they'll get one -- Richards. I also don't believe, nor have I seen rumors, that he wants 9 million. Most have it pegged around 7.5.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML1988 View Post
I know I don't. Can't speak for anybody else.
Same. I'd love to have him at any price for two years to let our young kids develop. If the bruins can win with a first line c like krejci I'm reasonably sure one of Kadri or Colborne would be suitable eventually.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:57 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woll Smoth View Post
Yeah, a quote coming from Richards himself means just as much as some made up quotes on HFboards
It actually came from his agent. You know, the guy whose job it is to get as much money for his client (and him) during the free agency process. You're beyond help if you think that his agent would not use Toronto's offers to drive up the price other teams would be willing to play, even if Richards has zero intention of playing in Toronto.

Edit: I forgot the referenced quote was the old one from early in the season rather than the recent quote from his agent. Regardless, the point stands. A free agent would be stupid to rule out any city out of hand, even if they don't really intend to play for that team. Unrestricted free agency is a game, plain and simple. You don't show your hand until you need to.

Last edited by glovesave_35: 06-17-2011 at 10:53 PM.
glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:12 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnet43 View Post
Recent concussion issue, 31 years of age. Rumored to be intersted in an 8 year deal at around $8.5-9.0 M.

So do Leaf fans really want to take the risk of committing all that term and all that salary?

By the way, this thread is directed to Leafs fans ONLY. Please and thank you
At 8 years, $8.5-9 mil cap hit, no, that's too much of a risk. If he declines over the next couple years to a 60 point kind of guy, that's the kind of contract that can decimate a franchise in the salary cap world.

At more like 7 years/$7.5 mil cap hit, on a front loaded deal (something like 10/11/11/9/6/3.5/2), then yes, I'd be happy to have him. That's still a lot of money, but we'd be giving up nothing but cap space to get him. He'd fill a major, MAJOR void for us in the 1st line C department, and we'd give up nothing but cap space. If I was more confident that either Kadri or Colborne could eventually become good #1 Cs for Kessel, then I'd be more hesitant to go after Richards with major money, but I'm not confident that they'll get to Richards' level.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:46 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRanger View Post
If this question is only directed to Leafs fans, why don't you post it on the Leafs board?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
This. Posting on the main board and then directing the question to only one fan base is just plain stupid. Mods should either close this or move it to leafs board. Amazingly dumb.
We're closing in on our 3rd "Brad Richards" Thread on the Leafs Board. No need to start another one.

It seems like a lot of fans want to way in on what Richards wants/will get and who is or isn't willing to pay it, so I think the thread's fine here...it just should be open to all fanbases (not like the OP's limitations have stopped anyone anyways).

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:17 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Link?
Lots of people are putting words in Richards mouth he didn't actually say.

Here is the only thing he has ever publicly stated about playing in Toronto:

“When the time comes, if that’s an option, Toronto is always a No. 1 hockey destination,” said the 30-year-old when surrounded by reporters after the Stars’ morning skate.

“It would be great being a Canadian playing in Toronto but we’re not even close to that bridge yet and, like I said, I’m focused here.”

Link: http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...-become-a-leaf

If he had no interest in playing in Toronto he could have just said "no comment"
From Chris Botta of the NY Times

http://twitter.com/#!/ChrisBottaNHL
Quote:
told Brad Richards' first choice is not to sign where hockey's life and there are a lot of reporters. He may not have that choice.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:20 PM
RogerRoeper*

Yes. It's risky, but the Leafs cap situation is very good.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Mojo19
He's Big, He's Bald

Not for 8 years at $8-9.5 million per.

I wouldn't mind seeing $8 million for 4 years, or $6.5-7 million for 7-8 years though. A UFA like Richards does not come along often. I'm not sure if he puts this team over the top either way though... he might help the Leafs make the playoffs and win a round or two, but beating teams like Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Philly and Boston isn't going to be easy.

Mojo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
8 yrs
1st 4: NMC
Last 4: Limited NTC
Why would Richards ever agree to that? So he could get the Redden/Souray treatment when he isn't deemed useful?

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:35 PM
scdn

I think Richards can be a top centre for the majority of the contract. I would do it. Leaves less pressure for Kadri and Colbourne, plus other draft picks between now and then to develop.

scdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:02 PM
officeglen

I'm not a Leafs fan but since this is in forum for everybody, here's my view.

TML has lots of money, so the key here is not how much he gets, but how he impacts the team cap. It should be possible to design a contract that is a win-win for both the player and the team, and the team can rely on various provisions the league has if a concussion forces him to retire early.

officeglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:19 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLOBI View Post
Yes.. Yes we do!

Here's the thing about Richards. If the Leafs sign him then Burke won't make a giant trade of a lot of our prospects and picks for a number 1 centre. He gives time to Colborne and Kadri to develop. He makes the Leafs a playoff team.... a top 6 of

Lupul-Richards-Kessel
Mararthur-Grabovski-Kulemin

stands up pretty well to the rest of the league.. assuming Richards has some chemistry with Lupul and Kessel who seem to work well together. And Mac is inked and that line can perform as well as last year. That is not to mention the depth we'd have on our 3rd line and a fairly solid defence with a goalie who only the most hardened Leaf haters bash.

Richards immediately helps any team who can sign him. I'm hoping he decides on Blue and White. The Leafs have the cap space and I know Burke isn't about to give him the crazy contracts that everyone seems to think he loves to give out to players... If the Rangers offer him $9mill a season.. so be it..

GO LEAFS GO
Richards would also play the point on the PP.

Would be a slight upgrade from the likes of Versteeg or Brent

TeamBester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:32 PM
UFancyHuh

Do we want him? YES. but not at that price.

UFancyHuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:45 PM
baton elevated

We're at least 5 years from Kadri/Colborne/McKegg/2011 Draft Class from being a #1C, so yeah I want Richards because we don't have to give up any assets to get him.

No more than 5 year term though @ 7-8mil cap hit.

I agree with this post 100%

baton elevated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 02:19 AM
Man Hole Inspector*

Richards will want a 5-8 year deal with a cap hit of around 7 million I believe. I think its plausible he'll get that money, its just a matter of from who now? Buffalo could be a real darkhorse in this Brad Richards race, they finally have the funds avaliable to compete with top tier FA

Man Hole Inspector* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 02:50 AM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
From Chris Botta of the NY Times

http://twitter.com/#!/ChrisBottaNHL
My quote is from Richards himself.
Your quote is from someone, who talked to someone who supposedly talked to Richards.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 05:58 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
My quote is from Richards himself.
Your quote is from someone, who talked to someone who supposedly talked to Richards.
I would love to see him sign with the Leafs. I believe he would be the perfect signing.

I just don't believe he will, unless Burke is willing to top all offers and this will be an auction. I suspect he will get $8-8.5 million for 8-10 years.

I do believe he isn't likely to want to play there based on his history, and the list of teams he would waive for when he was traded.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:24 AM
theduster77

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
he's going to TB unless someone overpays by crazy amount

its like when you are asked to do a job you really don't want to do so you quote a ridiculous amount. sometimes people actually pay it.

I hope it won't be the Leafs
that is what i have been saying for like a year now, but most leaf fans think I am a retard because like richards, every star who is ever available will ALWAYS come to toronto..... whether it be via trade or free agency

hey guys what ever happened to Bobby Ryan getting traded to the leafs or maybe someone named Ilya Kovalchuk signing with the leafs last year..... You know because all the big stars want to sign i toronto, but never ****ing do

theduster77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:31 AM
UFancyHuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsforlife77 View Post
that is what i have been saying for like a year now, but most leaf fans think I am a retard because like richards, every star who is ever available will ALWAYS come to toronto..... whether it be via trade or free agency

hey guys what ever happened to Bobby Ryan getting traded to the leafs or maybe someone named Ilya Kovalchuk signing with the leafs last year..... You know because all the big stars want to sign i toronto, but never ****ing do
You do realize signing an UFA is different from signing an RFA. Richards cones free(to the fans atleast) Ryan would have cost key pieces or picks.
And as far as kovalchuk is conserned pretty sure Burke never offered him a contract.

UFancyHuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:36 AM
theduster77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly3RR View Post
You do realize signing an UFA is different from signing an RFA. Richards cones free(to the fans atleast) Ryan would have cost key pieces or picks.
And as far as kovalchuk is conserned pretty sure Burke never offered him a contract.
those are just two recent examples that i could think of... this madness has been going on for a long time buddy

theduster77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Grabovski
Грабовский правил

All we have to do is overpay $1M and we get him imo. We have to take a chance on him if we want to be successful in the future.

Grabovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Barilko14

I want Richards, but I would be hesitant to go much over 5 years $36M.

Plus I will guarantee no matter where he goes he doesn't get more than Crosby, people's predictions are getting a bit out of hand.

Barilko14 is offline   Reply With Quote