HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Leaf fans, do you really want Brad Richards?

Old
06-19-2011, 08:37 AM
OG Kuch

vCash: 500
Yzerman will have the ear of Richards and his agent come July 1, there is no need to deal for his rights now. We are well aware that a team like New York could be willing to give him 8 mil a year, but Richards has made it clear that he wants to win above all else and would take a discount to play in Tampa. If Richards signs with the Lightning (who is the front runner, in my opinion), the cap hit will likely be around 6 mil.

OG Kuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 08:48 AM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
Yzerman will have the ear of Richards and his agent come July 1, there is no need to deal for his rights now. We are well aware that a team like New York could be willing to give him 8 mil a year, but Richards has made it clear that he wants to win above all else and would take a discount to play in Tampa. If Richards signs with the Lightning (who is the front runner, in my opinion), the cap hit will likely be around 6 mil.
Is the consensus around TB that this would be money well spent considering they already will have 2 high priced centers and a 40 year old goalie?

I think TV would be the man I was gunning for if I was SY.

TeamBester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 08:53 AM
OG Kuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBester View Post
Is the consensus around TB that this would be money well spent considering they already will have 2 high priced centers and a 40 year old goalie?

I think TV would be the man I was gunning for if I was SY.
Who cares what position we pay the most for? Stamkos, Lecavalier, and Richards won't all play on separate lines anyway. The 40 year old goalie is also in great shape and will likely re-sign on a 1 year deal, and it won't be expensive. We have the ability to take care of the goaltending and the defense in addition to signing Richards.

Old
06-19-2011, 08:59 AM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
Has he really said that?

If so I have no idea why he is so adamant on waiting to July 1st to 'field all offers'. Is he just curious as to how much he will leave on the table to give a 'hometown' discount to Tampa?

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 09:01 AM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Who cares what position we pay the most for? Stamkos, Lecavalier, and Richards won't all play on separate lines anyway. The 40 year old goalie is also in great shape and will likely re-sign on a 1 year deal, and it won't be expensive. We have the ability to take care of the goaltending and the defense in addition to signing Richards.
How many contending teams have 3 forewards that have a cap hit that exceeds 6 million?

Old
06-19-2011, 09:06 AM
OG Kuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Has he really said that?

If so I have no idea why he is so adamant on waiting to July 1st to 'field all offers'. Is he just curious as to how much he will leave on the table to give a 'hometown' discount to Tampa?
More or less.
Quote:
How many contending teams have 3 forewards that have a cap hit that exceeds 6 million?
Please explain how that matters, given what I said in my last post.

Old
06-19-2011, 09:14 AM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
More or less.

Please explain how that matters, given what I said in my last post.
You implied one of them could play wing. All 3 VL SS and BR would all have a cap hit of 6 million or more. So I'll ask you again how many teams have 3 forewards not centers, with a cap hit of 6 mill or more? The answer is none.

Its called cap management.

Old
06-19-2011, 09:23 AM
OG Kuch

Quote:
You implied one of them could play wing. All 3 VL SS and BR would all have a cap hit of 6 million or more. So I'll ask you again how many teams have 3 forewards not centers, with a cap hit of 6 mill or more? The answer is none.

Its called cap management.
Why does it matter how many teams don't have forwards getting paid over 6 mil? As long as we can sign Richards and address our other needs, it doesn't matter what other teams might be paying for their forwards. Are you suggesting the Lightning can't be successful if they pay 3 forwards over 6 mil?

Old
06-19-2011, 09:31 AM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Why does it matter how many teams don't have forwards getting paid over 6 mil? As long as we can sign Richards and address our other needs, it doesn't matter what other teams might be paying for their forwards. Are you suggesting the Lightning can't be successful if they pay 3 forwards over 6 mil?
What I'm saying is to me it looks like it wouldn't be good cap management. How don't you see this?

Old
06-19-2011, 09:40 AM
OG Kuch

Quote:
What I'm saying is to me it looks like it wouldn't be good cap management. How don't you see this?
San Jose, Washington, and New Jersey will have 3 forwards making 6 mil or more.

Like I said, if Yzerman can take care of our goaltending and defense situation while being able to sign Richards (which is very possible), how is that not good cap management? If anything, it would be an example of excellent cap management.

Old
06-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
San Jose, Washington, and New Jersey will have 3 forwards making 6 mil or more.

Like I said, if Yzerman can take care of our goaltending and defense situation while being able to sign Richards (which is very possible), how is that not good cap management?
you make it wound like the defence situation will come cheap. It's won't. Rolie isn't a long term solution and this may be the year he declines. Who knows.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Baba Ganoush

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnet43 View Post
Rumored to be intersted in an 8 year deal at around $8.5-9.0 M.
did i miss something? when was this reported/said?

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 09:48 AM
OG Kuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
you make it wound like the defence situation will come cheap. It's won't. Rolie isn't a long term solution and this may be the year he declines. Who knows.
Our defense doesn't need an overhaul. If we re-sign Brewer and Lundin, I'd be fine with it. We don't need to add a 5 mil free agent on top of that, but I could see a guy like Clark getting dealt and us pursuing a slight upgrade in the FA market. Also, Roloson isn't supposed to be a long term solution. He gives us another year to see how our goalie prospects develop (most notably Dustin Tokarski), and after next season we'll see where we stand with the goalie situation.

Old
06-19-2011, 09:54 AM
vezna*
Canada's Team

not for 8 years with NMC/NTC

if you're a leafs (or any team) fan and you think that it's a good idea for Richards to sign for 8 years with a NMC/NTC, you need to get your head checked

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:15 AM
seanlinden

As a Leafs fan? sure, I want Brad Richards, I want every player in the league if they sign for $500k. But, like the OP mentioned, not at the contract he's going to get.

Richards is going to sign a 9-year deal because that allows him to maximize the gap between his paycheque and cap hit (thereby maximizing his chances of winning). If this was pre-Kovalchuk, he might be looking at a 11-12 year deal, but because of the Kovalchuk rule, there's no more incentive to do that.

Anyone who thinks the Leafs can go out and sign Richards to a 5-year deal and $8-9m are completely off their rocker. Not only will Richards at $9m prevent us from winning, but he wouldn't sign that. He can get just as much money by adding on years to 40, and join a team that was good without him, and will be better with him.

The contract Richards will be looking at is 9 years in the range of $6-6.5m cap hit from a good team (like Washington, Los Angeles, Rangers), and it just doesn't make sense for Toronto to match that. We're in no position to contend for the cup next year (even with Richards at that price), and there's far too much of a chance of him declining a couple years down the road, putting the Leafs in a Brian Campbell-type situation where you've got a 33-34 year old player who's declining, not worth his paycheque, and has 5-6 years left on the deal. Most of the stuff that comes out of Brian Burke's mouth is a load of bull####, but the 5-year rule isn't a completely terrible one. With any player at the top of your lineup, you can take a reasonable guess as to the guy he'll be and his fit on your team for the next 2-3 years, but really beyond that is a crapshoot. Limiting contracts to 5 years puts you in a position where you know that if you do decide you want to get rid of him, it problably won't be until year 2 or 3, which means there are 2 or 3 years left on the contract for another team to absorb.

Of course, that risk is inherit to any team that signs Richards -- the difference is that if they win the cup early on, who cares? That also doesn't factor in the fact that Richards would problably prefer to sign with a more successful team with better management in place and a culture of winning.

You can also point out that Chicago won the cup with Campbell, and that he was a valuable player for them -- both facts. What is also a fact -- is that they blew the cap by $4m in bonuses to Toews/Kane (essentially competing with them at $900k each), and had a Norris-trophy winning defenceman making less than $2m.

Last edited by seanlinden: 06-19-2011 at 10:22 AM.
seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Hero
Buffy is Back

He'd be 39 yrs old, getting paid 8.5 mill

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Our defense doesn't need an overhaul. If we re-sign Brewer and Lundin, I'd be fine with it. We don't need to add a 5 mil free agent on top of that, but I could see a guy like Clark getting dealt and us pursuing a slight upgrade in the FA market. Also, Roloson isn't supposed to be a long term solution. He gives us another year to see how our goalie prospects develop (most notably Dustin Tokarski), and after next season we'll see where we stand with the goalie situation.
Well stated

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Claudio23

As a Bruins fan, yes the leafs do want Richards. But not at that price. He isn't worth that much at all. Sure he would be a crazy first line center with Kessel and another winger but it would just hurt their cap.

Claudio23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:40 AM
stavs

Quote:
lol, how will you possibly do this when you have like 35 mil invested in 5 forwards? Cap management - its important for a reason.

stavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:07 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavs View Post
lol, how will you possibly do this when you have like 35 mil invested in 5 forwards? Cap management - its important for a reason.
i think yzerman can get richards for a bit of a discount.....but no way richards and stamkos get the same money ......tampa will only get 2 first and second for stamkos the kessel package....if its true tampa wants richards ....stamkos is gone

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:11 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
i think yzerman can get richards for a bit of a discount.....but no way richards and stamkos get the same money ......tampa will only get 2 first and second for stamkos the kessel package....if its true tampa wants richards ....stamkos is gone
There is so much wrong with this post I don't even know where to begin

hatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:45 AM
OG Kuch

The ignorance is absolutely mind-boggling.

Old
06-19-2011, 07:24 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavs View Post
Of course its bad management, thats why 90% don't do it.

Edit: Probably 100% as I type

Old
06-19-2011, 07:33 PM
Epictetus
Create yourself.

vCash: 50
Absolutely.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 07:38 PM
93gilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnet43 View Post
Recent concussion issue, 31 years of age. Rumored to be intersted in an 8 year deal at around $8.5-9.0 M.
So do Leaf fans really want to take the risk of committing all that term and all that salary?

By the way, this thread is directed to Leafs fans ONLY. Please and thank you
When were these numbers talked about. my guess is richards will sign for $7.5 to $8.0 for 6 years and if the only thing standing between a number one center is money then do it. Then burke uses no assets in a trade to get a center but can use them in another move.

93gilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote