Notices

Bettman will NOT rule out a third try in Atlanta

Old
06-17-2011, 02:27 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

vCash: 500
Bettman will NOT rule out a third try in Atlanta

Gary Bettman gave an interview in Macleans Magazine.

Q: Do you see the league someday going back to Atlanta for a third crack at it?

A: I never rule anything in or out, life can surprise you. Do I think it will happen in the next couple of years? No.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/06/17/g...hon-gatehouse/

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:28 PM
chipper
Thrashers forever

Send a message via AIM to chipper
Meh.

chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:55 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Not shocking, really. I mean, even if the NHL isn't at all interested in going back to Atlanta, there'd be no reason to discount the possibility.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Hammer Slammer
Global Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Gonna need to run those ASG ****ers out of the city. "Atlanta Spirit" my ass.

Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:19 PM
shatner_rules
You're in Trouba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
This. Or, someone needs to build a new arena.

shatner_rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:24 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
Despite all the pain we feel in Atlanta about losing the Thrashers, it truly makes me happy to see so many people realize what all we dealt with here since those loons took over in 2004.

As far as Atlanta goes, the NHL (with or without Bettman) would be stupid to not give Atlanta another try in the future (read as: 10-15 years). It's widely acknowledged that the *market* didn't fail, the owners failed.

As for running these idiots out of town, I think a lot of Atlantans are aware of the damage they've done to the sports landscape overall in this city. We're just hoping the basketball team doesn't become another casualty (ASG make it easier to move the Hawks when they renegotiated the arena lease) before they're forced out of town. I've heard a rumor that Coke wants to build an arena, but I really don't know where they'd put it..

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
I think the NHL will be back, maybe not within the next couple of years but somewhere down the road.

If you really think about it, the fans weren't the problem per se, it was the absolutely horrid management and ownership group that did them in. I think if they can find a stable and reliable ownership group the NHL would be glad to come back to Atlanta.

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:26 PM
Hawker14

Considering, imo, the NHL bought the wrong franchise, and allowed the wrong franchise to move, I hope Atlanta gets a real chance next time.

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

How can you run the Atlanta Spirit out of town? In order to run someone out of town, they actually have to live there.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:48 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 635
Atlanta fans deserve it. With solid ownership there is no reason that the market can't be successful. Unfortunately, after losing a franchise for the second time (by no fault of the fans) I wouldnt be holding my breath if I was a hockey fan in ATL. Hope I'm wrong though, ATL fans are classy folks.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

seeing as i'm only 18, i'm confident it'll be back within my lifetime.

that said, it won't happen as long as the ocoto****ers own philips unless another nhl capable arena is built.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:54 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
Despite all the pain we feel in Atlanta about losing the Thrashers, it truly makes me happy to see so many people realize what all we dealt with here since those loons took over in 2004.

As far as Atlanta goes, the NHL (with or without Bettman) would be stupid to not give Atlanta another try in the future (read as: 10-15 years). It's widely acknowledged that the *market* didn't fail, the owners failed.

As for running these idiots out of town, I think a lot of Atlantans are aware of the damage they've done to the sports landscape overall in this city. We're just hoping the basketball team doesn't become another casualty (ASG make it easier to move the Hawks when they renegotiated the arena lease) before they're forced out of town. I've heard a rumor that Coke wants to build an arena, but I really don't know where they'd put it..
this

and there's plenty of space for an arena between atlanta and buckhead. i know that's still not ideal but there really isn't anywhere in the area where it'll make everybody happy.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:06 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
that said, it won't happen as long as the ocoto****ers own philips unless another nhl capable arena is built.
a. You're right about all the space between downtown and the Buckhead district. I just don't know any of the specific details yet.

2. Atlanta Fulton County Recreation Authority actually owns Philips. Atlanta Spirit merely holds the operating rights. That means, conceivably, AFCRA could kick ASG out if they really wanted to. Just a little morsel to chew on.

Old
06-17-2011, 04:12 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Just keep remembering... Winnipeg got a team back when no one ever thought they would...
Hope is always there

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:31 PM
SilverRiver89

vCash: 1365
Nice to hear, but he probably won't be in charge when it comes up again. And I'd expect Houston or someone would be ahead of us anyway.

SilverRiver89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiver89 View Post
Nice to hear, but he probably won't be in charge when it comes up again. And I'd expect Houston or someone would be ahead of us anyway.
He's only 59 years old. I could see him still having his job at 70-75.

Old
06-17-2011, 04:45 PM
SilverRiver89

vCash: 1365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosie View Post
He's only 59 years old. I could see him still having his job at 70-75.
I meant that it would probably take longer than that. Like 30+ years. We'll see.

As everyone else has said, the arena situation needs to be handled first whatever happens though. ASG has to go.

SilverRiver89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:56 PM
chipper
Thrashers forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosie View Post
How can you run the Atlanta Spirit out of town? In order to run someone out of town, they actually have to live there.
bahahahahahaha! Well played!

Old
06-17-2011, 06:34 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

ATL is just too big of a market to deny.

They just need to find a group with any semblance of integrity or competence, neither of which ASG had.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 06:34 PM
GreenHornet

So much to take in with this thread...

Quote:
Not shocking, really. I mean, even if the NHL isn't at all interested in going back to Atlanta, there'd be no reason to discount the possibility.
True, he kind of HAS to say this so as not to look like a complete *********. Still, we can at least hope he means what he says. It's better than him actually saying never.

Quote:
Well, it makes me feel A LITTLE better, but not happy. I'd be A LOT happier people would take action to right that wrong that was done to us (the whole point of this thread, I'm thinking).

Quote:
Well, IF this is the case, why wait 10-15 years? I'd hope that as soon as A$G is out of the picture (more like 5-10 years, and hopefully sooner, rather than later, with the possibility of a prolonged NBA lockout), the wheels would be put in motion for Atlanta's return. That is, IF they really want to come back here.

Quote:
We're just hoping the basketball team doesn't become another casualty (ASG make it easier to move the Hawks when they renegotiated the arena lease) before they're forced out of town.
Believe me, this will NEVER happen. A) It's more likely someone local would step up to buy the Hawks (especially since the arena managment would also likely be included in the package). PLUS, the city government would actually get off their collective ass and work to keep the Hawks here, UNLIKE how they let the Thrashers go.

Quote:
I think the NHL will be back, maybe not within the next couple of years but somewhere down the road.
As I've said before, from your lips to God's ears, my friend. I just hope I live long enough to see it happen.

Quote:
Unfortunately, after losing a franchise for the second time (by no fault of the fans) I wouldnt be holding my breath if I was a hockey fan in ATL. Hope I'm wrong though, ATL fans are classy folks.
THIS is exactly what I'm afraid of. The truth may not matter. Fair or not (DEFINITELY not), we've been labeled a two-time loser. That label may be difficult to shed. At the very least, it may send us to the back of the line behind the likes of Houston, Vegas and Kansas City, not to mention a few Canadian cities.

GreenHornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 06:54 PM
dj4aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
Well, IF this is the case, why wait 10-15 years? I'd hope that as soon as A$G is out of the picture (more like 5-10 years, and hopefully sooner, rather than later, with the possibility of a prolonged NBA lockout), the wheels would be put in motion for Atlanta's return. That is, IF they really want to come back here.
I say 10-15 because ASG did a number on us in Atlanta. The Earth here was straight up salted. Not just a sprinkle or two, but damn near coated in it. From the league's perspective, dropping a new (or relocated) team in Atlanta in two or three years time (assuming ASG is out of the arena) might be too soon for some folks. The league might want to see us with an AHL or comparable franchise first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
Believe me, this will NEVER happen. A) It's more likely someone local would step up to buy the Hawks (especially since the arena managment would also likely be included in the package). PLUS, the city government would actually get off their collective ass and work to keep the Hawks here, UNLIKE how they let the Thrashers go.
If you asked someone in Seattle in 2000 if they thought the Sonics would ever move, what would they have said? If there's one guarantee in life, it's this: Never say never. The lease on the arena has been altered. The Hawks are now more portable than they were in December 2009. If someone stepped up and said "I want to move the Hawks to Maine, here's $375M", do you think ASG takes it?

Their motto is two words: Make money. They'll flip the Hawks to a relocation interest if they think they'll make an extra ten cents.

Old
06-17-2011, 07:40 PM
GreenHornet

Quote:
If you asked someone in Seattle in 2000 if they thought the Sonics would ever move, what would they have said? If there's one guarantee in life, it's this: Never say never. The lease on the arena has been altered. The Hawks are now more portable than they were in December 2009. If someone stepped up and said "I want to move the Hawks to Maine, here's $375M", do you think ASG takes it?

Their motto is two words: Make money. They'll flip the Hawks to a relocation interest if they think they'll make an extra ten cents.
I agree with your "Never say never" point, BUT I do think the dynamics with the Hawks are quite different than Seattle.

For one thing, it would be political suicide for the city to let ANOTHER pro team slip away. Besides, I think there is A LOT more likely a chance of somebody stepping up to buy the Hawks when/if they actually come up for sale because I'm thinking the arena management will almost certainly be up for sale along with the team.

Secondly, I think this is all a moot point because A$G actually care about the Hawks, so I don't see them falling all over themselves to sell to a potential relocation interest like they did the Thrashers.

GreenHornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:53 PM
sawchuk1971

Quote:
I say 10-15 because ASG did a number on us in Atlanta. The Earth here was straight up salted. Not just a sprinkle or two, but damn near coated in it. From the league's perspective, dropping a new (or relocated) team in Atlanta in two or three years time (assuming ASG is out of the arena) might be too soon for some folks. The league might want to see us with an AHL or comparable franchise first.

what was ted turner's motivation to sell the team to ASG?...i know his son had some connections to the group...

did turner sold to ASG because the thrashers weren't profitable?...

sawchuk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:41 PM
chipper
Thrashers forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawchuk1971 View Post
what was ted turner's motivation to sell the team to ASG?...i know his son had some connections to the group...

did turner sold to ASG because the thrashers weren't profitable?...
Turner wasn't owning them by then, that was AOL/Time Warner basically. Ted basically got out of all the sports businesses really by the end of the 90s, only because he was taken over by AOL etc. He wouldn't have sold to them had he still been in charge, probably.

Old
06-18-2011, 01:29 AM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

I still have trouble believing that Portland is the only Pacific Northwest NBA team. We used to have Vancouver Grizzlies and Seattle Supersonics. Come to think of it, the Grizzlies are probably a good parallel to the Thrashers. Everyone says that the Vancouver Grizzlies were a failure, and they were, on the court. But they were not a financial failure. Their attendance was higher than it is in Memphis, their ticket prices were higher than Memphis, and the team never made the playoffs! Memphis has done that four times, and their two worst seasons were as bad as Vancouver’s two best seasons.

Vancouver Grizzlies (1995-01)
Average Attendance: 15,632 (high of 17,183 in 1995-96; low of 13,737 in 2000-01)
Average Wins (82 game season): 18 (high of 23 in 2000-01; (adjusted) low of 13 ( ( 8 / 50 ) X 82 ) in 1998-99; (real) low of 14 in 1996-97)

Memphis Grizzlies (2001-11)
Average Attendance: 14,555 (high of 16,862 in 2004-05; low of 12,745 in 2008-09)
Average Wins (82 game season): 35 (high of 50 in 2003-04; low of 22 in 2006-07 and 2007-08)

The Grizzlies left town ten years ago. Late last year, the Commissioner mentioned that a group from Vancouver had made overtures. It’s early, but we’ve entered the discussion for the future. If Vancouver can do it with basketball, Atlanta will do it with hockey, someday.