Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bettman will NOT rule out a third try in Atlanta

Old
06-18-2011, 02:02 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
For me, Atlanta goes right back on the "most likely" to get the new franchise list...however they are probably near the back of that list right now with some other cities probably having an easier time so long as ASG in running Phillips. (QUE, SEA, KC, HOU would be other ones on list off top of my head).

However as near back as 2007 the NHL was seriously looking at expansion. Chipman mentioned this in an interview saying that them and groups from Kansas City, Houston and I think Seattle all made presentations to the NHL BOG for potential expansion or firm commitment of interest anyways. Now right now the NHL obviously has a few problem child franchises that take precedence, however those situations mostly look like they are resolving soon (Gotta be last year NHL owns PHO, NYI referendum coming up, DAL looks sold) and perhaps the NHL can look to the future once those resolve themselves. As little as 3 years ago it looked near impossible Winnipeg would ever get a team, don't give up.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Teppo

This is the first thing I thought of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA

Teppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 01:36 PM
jamwires

I think some of you guys are putting too much stock into who would be ahead of you to get a team back, etc. All it takes is one rich guy with interest in bringing hockey back to Atlanta properly, and you could quickly vault to the top of that list again.

jamwires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:26 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

The NHL has lost the right to come back to Atlanta when you look at how poorly they treated the fans and this market in general.

They will try to come back, no doubt about that...and it will be within 20 years.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 09:10 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Eventually the team will probably expand to 36 teams and Atlanta will probably be in the equation.

But until then, there's nothing we can really do aside from maybe the ECHL and SPHL. There won't be an AHL team because ASG won't let them play in Philips.

I mean, if there's any justice in the world, in 2014 the NHL announces the Atlanta Blazers* expansion team and they have a competent owner.

*I think this would be a nice name for a franchise, and it somewhat references Atlanta's hockey history with the Flames. I have a couple concepts, actually, but that is for another thread.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Hate to burst the bubble, but what's Bettman supposed to do? He's not just gonna come out and say "No, Atlanta will never get another team". He has never once said that about Winnipeg, Quebec City, Hamilton, Kansas City, Hartford, Seattle, Houston, or any of the other cities that are hopeful for teams. Does anyone honestly believe that Hamilton will ever get a team?

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 09:47 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
Does anyone honestly believe that Hamilton will ever get a team?
Clearly Jim Balsille does.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:05 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
But until then, there's nothing we can really do aside from maybe the ECHL and SPHL. There won't be an AHL team because ASG won't let them play in Philips.
As long as ASG is in town, the AHL won't be an option at Philips.

Now, if someone were to build their own rink somewhere, that can change. There's more than one way to skin a horse, after all. We already see more and more events going to Cobb Energy or Gwinnett over Philips, and it's not just 'cause the Hawks and Thrashers were playing.

Obviously, this is something that will play out over time. You can plan a pretty picnic, but you can't predict the weather. We'll find out the who, what, and where as soon as it becomes public. For now, there are only theories, rumors, or tentative plans.

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 01:56 AM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Quote:
If I were a betting man, and wanted to place a very long term bet, I'd bet on Hamilton getting a team within the next ten years, and not having Balsille as the owner.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:16 AM
Bongo

I seriously doubt Atlanta will get another NHL team. Spirt did such a good job of poisoning the well, that it would be too hard a sell for the league to consider. We've already seen that the truth of the situation matters little. As long as that pussbucket Bettman is in charge, that's just fine with me.

It's possible Atlanta could get an AHL team sometime but as long as Spirt has anything to do with the arena, I won't be going.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
As long as ASG is in town, the AHL won't be an option at Philips.

Now, if someone were to build their own rink somewhere, that can change. There's more than one way to skin a horse, after all. We already see more and more events going to Cobb Energy or Gwinnett over Philips, and it's not just 'cause the Hawks and Thrashers were playing.

Obviously, this is something that will play out over time. You can plan a pretty picnic, but you can't predict the weather. We'll find out the who, what, and where as soon as it becomes public. For now, there are only theories, rumors, or tentative plans.
What are the seating capacities of those arenas? Just curious as AHL hockey doesn't need anywhere near the capacity of the NHL, the arena that the Moose are moving to is under 7000 capacity and that should be just fine of AHL level.

Wonko the Sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:36 PM
SilverRiver89

vCash: 1365
Gwinnett is something like 11k for hockey but already houses the ECHL Gladiators. Cobb is a theater, not an arena.

SilverRiver89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosie View Post
If I were a betting man, and wanted to place a very long term bet, I'd bet on Hamilton getting a team within the next ten years, and not having Balsille as the owner.
I think there will be a second team in Toronto.

If LA can have two teams and New York can have three, I'm sure there is a billionaire out there who will pay to operate in Toronto's territory.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:36 AM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiver89 View Post
Gwinnett is something like 11k for hockey but already houses the ECHL Gladiators. Cobb is a theater, not an arena.
Well for now anyway of course the ECHL Gladiators would have to move out but I think if an AHL team were to move to Gwinnett I think naming them the Gladiators would be appropriate since the name brand is already a well established one.

*Sorry to dig up such an old thread on the now Winnipeg board, just was bored and was looking for threads that were Atlanta related.

GwtGlads2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:49 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by GwtGlads2013 View Post
Well for now anyway of course the ECHL Gladiators would have to move out but I think if an AHL team were to move to Gwinnett I think naming them the Gladiators would be appropriate since the name brand is already a well established one.

*Sorry to dig up such an old thread on the now Winnipeg board, just was bored and was looking for threads that were Atlanta related.
Epic bump.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:49 AM
fatschoonerrat

I hate when I read through pages and pages of an old thread only to notice the date way on down at the bump.

fatschoonerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:16 AM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Quote:
He also believes the Blackberry Z10 is a viable option.

Last edited by Reed Solomon: 02-27-2013 at 03:17 AM. Reason: posting in a zombie thread
Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:25 AM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
He also believes the Blackberry Z10 is a viable option.
No he doesn't, he sold all his shares prior to it coming out.

http://business.financialpost.com/20...in-blackberry/

Quote:
“He sold everything. That’s what it looks like,” Mr. Gorman said after perusing the filing required by anyone who owns 5% or more of a class of shares and then adds to or reduces that position.

As of Dec. 11, 2011, Mr. Balsillie held 26,840,490 shares of RIM stock. While it remains unclear at which point in 2012 Mr. Balsillie sold his shares, based on RIM’s average 2012 share price of $10.96, his sale would have netted him in the neighbourhood of US$294-million.

Between 2008 and 2012, Mr. Balsillie reduced his stake in RIM by roughly 9 million shares at much higher selling prices.

Wonko the Sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:43 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Balsilie will never own an NHL club.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:05 PM
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 200
Typical "count speak" - never confirm or deny anything until it happens.

jimmycrackcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:10 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungman View Post
No he doesn't, he sold all his shares prior to it coming out.

http://business.financialpost.com/20...in-blackberry/
Not to mention he stepped down as CEO a year ago.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:50 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn View Post
Typical "count speak" - never confirm or deny anything until it happens.
Nothing wrong with that. It's business, not personal. If they have a legitimate reason to believe they can get back to a huge market with a shot at turning a profit, they'd be insane not to try no matter how many times it failed prior. It's not like they'd be rushing back in a couple years after anyways. He also said nothing that gave people false hope or warranted this thread (as old as it may be) IMO.

It's all about timing - proper building, ownership, tax breaks/incentives/handouts, CBA and on-ice talent.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:42 PM
ghost88*

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Atlanta has had 2 shots at a franchise and failed both times. They're a long shot (at best) to ever get a team again.

ghost88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:23 PM
ATL Star

Quite simply, Atlanta will get a crack at the egg again, for the simple reason that even the NHL (the dolts that they are), will begin to realize that TELEVISION is the fruit of the money tree.

While a hockey game is infinitely better live than TV, the powers that be will notice that most NHL franchise lose money, because they have poor TV deals. The leagues that do well are built around that 55 inch in your living room--see the NFL and MLB. Most NFL franchises would makes a profit if they didn't sell one single ticket because sponsorship and TV dollars are so high.

When the NHL gets back on a real network (sorry, NBCSN isn't real) and negotiates a national contract with ESPN and ABC or gets loads of cash from FOX national and incorporates affiliate dollars, then Atlanta will get a franchise back. The reason we got the Thrashers back was because the NHL knew that the execs at the Mickey Mouse empire wanted eyes in the 7th biggest TV market in north america for it's "NHL 2night" shows and other NHL related items (games, etc). When television becomes important again, so will be the re-birth of Hockey in Atlanta.

I love the GAME NHL hockey provides. But from a business standpoint, it is structurally flawed in SO many facets. I could provide a thesis paper on the danger that the NHL exposes itself to by allowing fighting (especially when the NFL verdict comes down), of becoming extinct all-together. Before you say "Stupid southerner, the NHL is invincible!" Let me riddle you this--if the average damages to be paid in concussion lawsuits is said to be 150-250 million, and the same case can be made against the NHL, how many franchises survive? The answer? Probably 7. Those being the franchises that a 200 million dollar damage amount being equal to or less than 25% of the franchise value.

...But I digress. Good luck Jets! Rooting for y'all in the East.

ATL Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:19 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Star View Post
Quite simply, Atlanta will get a crack at the egg again, for the simple reason that even the NHL (the dolts that they are), will begin to realize that TELEVISION is the fruit of the money tree.

While a hockey game is infinitely better live than TV, the powers that be will notice that most NHL franchise lose money, because they have poor TV deals. The leagues that do well are built around that 55 inch in your living room--see the NFL and MLB. Most NFL franchises would makes a profit if they didn't sell one single ticket because sponsorship and TV dollars are so high.

When the NHL gets back on a real network (sorry, NBCSN isn't real) and negotiates a national contract with ESPN and ABC or gets loads of cash from FOX national and incorporates affiliate dollars, then Atlanta will get a franchise back. The reason we got the Thrashers back was because the NHL knew that the execs at the Mickey Mouse empire wanted eyes in the 7th biggest TV market in north america for it's "NHL 2night" shows and other NHL related items (games, etc). When television becomes important again, so will be the re-birth of Hockey in Atlanta.

I love the GAME NHL hockey provides. But from a business standpoint, it is structurally flawed in SO many facets. I could provide a thesis paper on the danger that the NHL exposes itself to by allowing fighting (especially when the NFL verdict comes down), of becoming extinct all-together. Before you say "Stupid southerner, the NHL is invincible!" Let me riddle you this--if the average damages to be paid in concussion lawsuits is said to be 150-250 million, and the same case can be made against the NHL, how many franchises survive? The answer? Probably 7. Those being the franchises that a 200 million dollar damage amount being equal to or less than 25% of the franchise value.

...But I digress. Good luck Jets! Rooting for y'all in the East.
You make some good points. Atlanta never really had a good tv deal while they existed and yeah hockey needs to return to ESPN as I always looked forward to it.

GwtGlads2013 is offline   Reply With Quote