HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RIP - Betty Fox Passes Away - Funeral Saturday June 25

Old
06-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
RIP - Betty Fox Passes Away - Funeral Saturday June 25

Betty Fox the mother of Terry Fox who ran the Marathon of Hope has passed away this morning Friday June 17, 2011.

Following her son's death she kept his dream alive. She was in her early 70s, had been suffering from complications from diabetes and arthritis.
Back in the 1970s, cancer was shrouded in fear and ignorance. Many couldn’t even say the word, referring to the disease as the Big C – as though even to pronounce it aloud might incur bad luck. Terry died knowing that he had raised more than $24-million for cancer research, one dollar for every person living in Canada at the time.

In the 30 years since, Betty Fox ferociously protected her son’s memory, fought off the commercialization of his name and championed the Marathon of Hope to keep his legacy alive and to pursue his goal of finding a cure for cancer.
Over the years, and with help and support from Issy Sharp of the Four Season hotel chain, she’s kept the run pure: non-competitive, open to all, no product endorsements and managed by a family-centred grassroots organization that eschews fancy offices and big salaries.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...articlecontent

RIP. Like her son, a truly great Canadian.

Last edited by Wetcoaster: 06-22-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:56 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
Betty Fox(terry's mother) passes away

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2.../18298566.html

I was lucky enough to be around the fox family(my brother went to school with Judith) and the entire community and country was behind Terry when he started running.

I thought I would post this to sort of put things into perspective with the other debates we have going on right now

During my early teens I happen to meet Betty several times and she was a very strong person and she will be missed, but not forgotten

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:57 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Wow RIP, this is very very sad news.

06-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Canuck Enforcer

R.i.p

Canuck Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Awesome Sauce

Very sad news indeed. That Globe & Mail article is a great read, really details all the work that Betty continued to do after Terry died. I am especially moved when I read about how she fought to ensure that the run created in his name remains non-commercialized and non-competitive. As a Port Coquitlam native, I am truly honoured to say I am from the Fox family's hometown (PoCo tends to get a lot of bad press unless its about the Fox family ). The headquarters for the Terry Fox Foundation is literally five minutes away from my family home, and it is just a small storefront on Shaughnessy St. The Fox family exemplifies all the best things about Canada.

Awesome Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 566
Rip

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:21 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Damn

My week was already in the *****, now its gotten way worse..RIP Betty

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 06:44 AM
NotAPuckBunny

R.i.p.

NotAPuckBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 05:29 PM
Robert604strom

vCash: 50
Safe enough to say this has been one of the worst weeks in British Columbia history. Glad she got to carry the torch during the Olympics.

Robert604strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 12:20 PM
Wetcoaster

The public funeral for Betty Fox will be held Saturday in Port Coquitlam. The Fox family has asked that donations be made to the Terry Fox Foundation In lieu of flowers.
http://www.terryfox.org/

One of the truly great Canadians along with her son. But she was not only the mother to Terry and her other children but as author Douglas Coupland christened her, she was "Canada's Mom".

Perhaps the most fitting words to remember her by are those embodied by her son Terry and used by his mom to close every speech she gave - "Never, ever give up on your dreams."

And like her son she ran the distance, and Saturday she will cross the finish line of her life but her memory and deeds will endure. RIP

Rod Stewart paid tribute to Terry's life and triumphs and it is equally applicable to Betty Fox:

A public funeral will be held this weekend for Betty Fox, the woman credited with keeping her famous son's crusade against cancer alive.

The service will be held at Trinity United Church in Port Coquitlam, B.C., on Saturday.

Because of limited space at the church, the family has asked those planning to attend to email bettyfoxservice@gmail.com.

Fox died last week at the age of 73.
After Terry's death, Betty led her family in picking up and carrying on with his legacy, renowned author Douglas Coupland recently told Postmedia News.

"It was Betty — and I don't know the moment — (who) realized, 'Oh dear, this is my duty in life, this is my role,' " Coupland said. "Betty became, also in the process, Canada's mom."

It's estimated Betty Fox spoke to more than 400,000 schoolchildren during her 25 years of touring the country.

The final words of every speech were: "Never, ever give up on your dreams," her obituary noted.

In lieu of flowers, the family asked that donations be made to the Terry Fox Foundation.

The foundation says more than $550 million has been raised worldwide for cancer research through the annual Terry Fox Run, which today is held across Canada and around the world.

Betty Fox is survived by husband Rolly, three children Fred, Darrell and Judith, and nine grandchildren.
http://www.canada.com/Public+funeral...#ixzz1Q1ag1h9X

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote