HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What future does Hodgson have here?

Old
06-17-2011, 06:50 PM
mossey3535

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
Hall and Duschene play for bottom tier teams. Definitely expect a more prominent role in that case. Seguin got about as much opportunity as Hodgson.
Hodgson 8GP 07:45 min/game; playoffs 12GP 06:46

Seguin 74GP 12:!3 min/game; playoffs 13GP 10:35

That's not the same opportunity if you ask me.

mossey3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUMBOcanuck View Post
from AV's comments today, he couldn't say enough good things about Hodgson, and I think it's fair to say that Gallagher's just trying to sell newspapers.
It is more about Gallagher's anti-Vigneault campaign that he has been waging.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
It is more about Gallagher's anti-Vigneault campaign that he has been waging.
I am personally on board with it myself. I would love to see a different coach. Luongo never had these issues in Florida. Why here? Maybe AV is a bigger detriment to the team than anyone knows.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:14 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
What are you expecting AV to say?
"I think Cody is a very young man who hasn’t had a lot of disappointments throughout his life. He’s probably having a tough time, personally, dealing with this one and trying to find a reason why it happened. We’ve all had times where we’ve encountered disappointment and tried to roll the (blame) in a different direction. We’ve all been through those things. Cody will learn from this.”
~ Alain Vigneault September 2009
http://communities.canada.com/thepro...lly-knows.aspx

Old
06-17-2011, 07:15 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
I am personally on board with it myself. I would love to see a different coach. Luongo never had these issues in Florida. Why here? Maybe AV is a bigger detriment to the team than anyone knows.
Well according to Demitra he humiliated him in front of everyone in the locker room last year. That's based on a google translation but I'm ok assuming AV is a *********.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Luongo had no pressure to win in Florida (or with NYI) - they were not expected to even make the play-offs.

Old
06-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Canucker

Quote:
"I think Cody is a very young man who hasn’t had a lot of disappointments throughout his life. He’s probably having a tough time, personally, dealing with this one and trying to find a reason why it happened. We’ve all had times where we’ve encountered disappointment and tried to roll the (blame) in a different direction. We’ve all been through those things. Cody will learn from this.”
~ Alain Vigneault September 2009
http://communities.canada.com/thepro...lly-knows.aspx

Yeah, I think he's learned his lesson from that fiasco.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:18 PM
jonnydraft

Quote:
A detriment to a team which won the President's Trophy and came within one game of winning the Stanley Cup?

AV has shown to be a quality coach who is able to adapt to the players he is given. Yes, his team fell short this year. To place the blame solely on his shoulders would be to ignore so many other factors - injuries, suspensions, old-time hockey, mental fragility and so on.

Anyways back on topic. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when Hodgson was drafted was it a given that Kesler was a bonified second line center who could score 40+ goals? My point is, with his emergence, the team's needs have changed. It is clear that Kesler > Hodgson as a second line center, and it is also clear that Malhotra > Hodgson as third line center.

Maybe it is time to move on without Cody Hodgson.

jonnydraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

It's surprising to me that fans and media alike think Hodgson's future with the organization is questionable.

He is 21-years-old and a prospect on the top team in the NHL. A few years ago, for sure, he would have been receiving a ton of ice-time. But as it is right now, the Canucks had a ton of professional depth and so he was used sparingly and with minimal ice-time. It was all a learning experience for him, and I think the combined regular season and playoff experience he recevied this year will make him a much better player going forward.

He's also a guy that lost a whole year of development to injury, so expectations need to be tempered somewhat. But I think that with a full off-season of training and a good camp, he could be with the team full-time next season.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:20 PM
serge2k

Meh, AV seems to have his favorites and Hodgson isn't one of them.

That said, he certainly hasn't earned it. Giving him 6 minutes a game with lousy 4th liners isn't really giving him a chance. But that is what happens in the playoffs.

Next time he is playing it should be with Kesler. All game. multiple games even. If he can't keep up then he can move down. If he can he stays in that spot.

He couldn't be any worse than Raymond/Samuelsson/Tambellini/Hansen/Higgins/Torres/etc... that played with kesler.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Tiranis

Hodgson got all kinds of opportunities in the pre-season (unlike another Canuck prospect, Schroeder) and the same thing will happen next year. I don't know why people are so worried AV doesn't like him or whatever. Ultimately this team wasn't here to give Hodgson an opportunity to learn but rather to win the Cup, they used him to the extent that they thought necessary.

Hodgson will have a chance to come into camp, impress everyone and cement his spot in the line-up. It will be up to him to show everyone what that spot is (2nd, 3rd, or 4th line).

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
...I'm waiting for things to cool down before we talk. It's clearly going to be a challenging situation there.”
WTF? The kid had problems in Manitoba, and never looked like all that much when brought up here. How about he actually complete a really good season in the AHL before strutting out the attitutude?

****ing prima donna...

Old
06-17-2011, 07:24 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
WTF? The kid had problems in Manitoba, and never looked like all that much when brought up here. How about he actually complete a really good season in the AHL before strutting out the attitutude?

****ing prima donna...
It's his agent talking. What did you expect him to say? Every agent says stuff like that because it's their job. When Cody's contract expires and he needs to re-sign last thing his agent wants is a quote from himself out in the newspaper saying that Cody clearly isn't ready and needs more time to develop or something like that.

Old
06-17-2011, 07:29 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post

****ing prima donna...
Seriously is everyone reading that quote and assuming he means Cody is in such a blind rage he's not ready to talk about the season yet? I really thought he meant wait for things to cool down around the organization. Might have to fire a twitters at the reporter for clarification.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Seriously is everyone reading that quote and assuming he means Cody is in such a blind rage he's not ready to talk about the season yet?
No, I'm reading it as Hodgson fired a perfectly reasonable agent, and hired this ****-stirring ****head instead.

What Hodgson's agent says is on Hodgson - he's the kids hired gun mouthpiece.

There's nothing even remotely "challenging" about the situation, other than Hodgson not having been good enough to earn a bigger role with the team. So shut yer yap, shut yer agent's yap, and show up at training camp motivated dedicated SIR.

****ing prima donna...

Old
06-17-2011, 07:32 PM
VanEric

I figure if Hodgson (Or Schroeder, Rodin, Shirokov, etc) has a strong camp, he'll get his chance to start next season if Raymond isn't ready to start the season. Similar to what Tambellini got this year because Burrows missed the first month.

This was Hodgson's first year after missing close to a full season with a bad injury. He really seemed to be finding his groove in Manitoba before the facial injury too. He showed some flashes in his time up here but his role really wasn't to do anything too risky offensively.

I think a lot of this angst comes to Canuck fans and media not knowing what it's like to actually have a good team with depth and an actual legitimate prospect pool.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
Hodgson 8GP 07:45 min/game; playoffs 12GP 06:46

Seguin 74GP 12:!3 min/game; playoffs 13GP 10:35

That's not the same opportunity if you ask me.
In the regular season, I can see your point. Although, look at all the flack Seguin took, whispers of being a bust, etc... If he wasn't a 2nd overall pick, he'd have spent most of the year in Providence honing his skills.

In the postseason, Seguin put up 6 points in his first 2 games. If Cody produced a similar offensive spike, he'd have gotten more minutes and more PP time in subsequent games.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
I figure if Hodgson (Or Schroeder, Rodin, Shirokov, etc) has a strong camp, he'll get his chance to start next season if Raymond isn't ready to start the season. Similar to what Tambellini got this year because Burrows missed the first month.

This was Hodgson's first year after missing close to a full season with a bad injury. He really seemed to be finding his groove in Manitoba before the facial injury too. He showed some flashes in his time up here but his role really wasn't to do anything too risky offensively.

I think a lot of this angst comes to Canuck fans and media not knowing what it's like to actually have a good team with depth and an actual legitimate prospect pool.
Great point. With Raymond almost certain to miss out on the beginning of the season, Hodgson is going to have a legitimate shot to earn a regular spot in the lineup. Tempest in a teacup.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:37 PM
English

The only alarming thing I read was Cody's agent's quote. Assuming the quote is accurate, why tell a player who was obviously given an unimportant role that they'll score the cup winning goal? I don't like that attitude, the agent is trying to distance the player from the organization. I like this player and want him in the organization.

English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:37 PM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
Here we go....you could see the Hodgon thing coming for a while. You can't blame him either. He's been mishandled for a while. He deserves a regular spot in the NHL. His pedigree, and past achievements warrant that.

Hopefully GMMG can smoothe the waters over for a while and instruct AV to put him in the lineup regularly.
That's ridiculous. He wasn't playing well enough to crack the lineup so he didn't. He was given opportunities and improved in that time. He's been hurt and it's hurt his development. At this point though, development is what he needs, not being thrust into the roster.

I'm sure he'll get some top 6 opportunity next year. If he performs well enough, he can turn that into regular playing time. If not, he goes down and hopefully dominates at the AHL level - something he hasn't done as of yet.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Intoewsables

Everyone talks about us trying to follow the Detroit model, and then *****es about a 21 year old not getting enough of an opportunity? I'm a huge fan of Cody, but he's not good enough right now to supplant anyone in our top-6. We're one of the best teams in the league and we can afford to take our time developing him, so why not do so? Nothing to do with AV hating him FFS.

Intoewsables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:11 PM
MS

What an abysmal article - one of the worst I've ever read from a Vancouver columnist, and that's saying something.

We're the best team in the league, and players are going to have to pay their dues and earn their way onto the squad. No different from Detroit.

Cody Hodgson scored 30 points in the AHL this season, and wasn't very good at that level. He isn't entitled to anything, and if anything received a much better shot in the NHL this year than he actually earned based on his performance at that level.

The quotes from his agent are really disturbing and show quite a sense of entitlement on the part of the agent/player, and if that's where their heads are at ... then, yeah, you wonder about his future here.

Comparing him to Seguin is absolutely ridiculous.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:20 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

Top 6 next year

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:20 PM
Jobal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
What an abysmal article - one of the worst I've ever read from a Vancouver columnist, and that's saying something.

We're the best team in the league, and players are going to have to pay their dues and earn their way onto the squad. No different from Detroit.

Cody Hodgson scored 30 points in the AHL this season, and wasn't very good at that level. He isn't entitled to anything, and if anything received a much better shot in the NHL this year than he actually earned based on his performance at that level.

The quotes from his agent are really disturbing and show quite a sense of entitlement on the part of the agent/player, and if that's where their heads are at ... then, yeah, you wonder about his future here.

Comparing him to Seguin is absolutely ridiculous.
Again, his head coach said he was their best forward on the farm. I'm guessing he played better than his point totals indicated. I couldn't tell you otherwise because I only saw him a few times last season, but he seemed like a good forward.

He also showed some good skills in the Chicago series. I've never heard or seen Cody Hodgson act like a big-shot, and this is probably another case of Vancouver media stirring the pot with their garbage.

Hodgson doesn't seem stupid enough to demand playing time on a team going on a cup run.

Jobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:21 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Why do you keep saying this every single time you post about Hodgson? Claude Noel, his coach in Manitoba, thought he was one of their best players every single night and said he would've benefitted from some better linemates. I watched the Moose and thought he was easily one of their best players. It's not all about stats, especially on a team that has a horrible PP and a lack of veteran presence.