HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who does Timmins pick at 17?

View Poll Results: Who do Habs draft at 17????
JT Miller 37 10.36%
J Oleksiak 50 14.01%
Mark Mcneill 46 12.89%
Rocco Grimaldi 28 7.84%
J Brodin 2 0.56%
Matt Puempel 24 6.72%
Ty Rattie 3 0.84%
Zach Phillips 31 8.68%
Oscar Klefbom 7 1.96%
Mark Schiefele 57 15.97%
Joe Morrow 8 2.24%
Nathan Beaulieu 26 7.28%
Boone Jenner 11 3.08%
Niklas Jensen 19 5.32%
A Khokhlachev 8 2.24%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-20-2011, 08:03 PM
TheBuriedHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
I don't give a **** if he becomes a top 4 dman. If he's not better than Merrill and Etem, it's a retarded, atrocious pick. And I doubt a one-dimensional Dman who struggles in the O has any chance of being anything remotely close to those 2.

And I'm waiting for the excuses too. Not a single decent 1st rounder should struggle in juniors as an 18-19 year old if he has 1st round talent.

Didn't like the pick then, hate it now. Seeing Merrill coming back after a 'bad' draft year (because even his worst year is better than anything Tinordi has shown to date) is just making me even more pissed off anytime I see anyone defending the Tinordi pick.

And hey, we also threw in a mid-round pick for good measure. Good times.

I'm sorry, from now on, I'll expect our first rounders to bolster our ever needing bottom 6 and PK. Yes, those are the guys that carry teams. Don't need a guy that can defend AND move the puck. That's a big no-no.
I get a kick out of people who get in such an uproar after 1 season after the kids were drafted. You MAY be right You MAY be wrong, but I hate when People start spewing **** like its the truth.

Merril is doing Better than Tinordi this season? No **** he is. One guy is not a 6'7 behemoth trying to learn how to use his body and balance and came over into a new league. Thankfully our scouts aren't as short sited as you and don't overreact about how Tinordi has struggled this first year. Its not Like its been reported Everywhere that Timmins thinks Tinordi is going to take a bit longer than others to develop. Oh and I DO give a **** if he turns into a top 4 defenseman. People really REALLY, undervalue how big a role Tinordi can play if he becomes what he was drafted too be. With Guys like Lucic and Horton being in this division for a Looong time, it would help to have a 6'7 dman back there making their life hell. I know people want awesome "two way" defenseman and Shake their head when we traded up for him. A 2nd round pick did seem steep, but this guy is an Element we NEED. I heard rumors of how the Bruins, Vancouver and Buffalo were all thinking of drafting him, so it wasn't only the Habs that are crazy, No it was people who do this for a living.

Of course they could be wrong, its a crapshoot, but I get a big Laugh when people get pissed about the pick already.

A big, Physical mean defensman who will drop the gloves. Sounds like Something this organization really needed.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
I get a kick out of people who get in such an uproar after 1 season after the kids were drafted. You MAY be right You MAY be wrong, but I hate when People start spewing **** like its the truth.

Merril is doing Better than Tinordi this season? No **** he is. One guy is not a 6'7 behemoth trying to learn how to use his body and balance and came over into a new league. Thankfully our scouts aren't as short sited as you and don't overreact about how Tinordi has struggled this first year. Its not Like its been reported Everywhere that Timmins thinks Tinordi is going to take a bit longer than others to develop. Oh and I DO give a **** if he turns into a top 4 defenseman. People really REALLY, undervalue how big a role Tinordi can play if he becomes what he was drafted too be. With Guys like Lucic and Horton being in this division for a Looong time, it would help to have a 6'7 dman back there making their life hell. I know people want awesome "two way" defenseman and Shake their head when we traded up for him. A 2nd round pick did seem steep, but this guy is an Element we NEED. I heard rumors of how the Bruins, Vancouver and Buffalo were all thinking of drafting him, so it wasn't only the Habs that are crazy, No it was people who do this for a living.

Of course they could be wrong, its a crapshoot, but I get a big Laugh when people get pissed about the pick already.

A big, Physical mean defensman who will drop the gloves. Sounds like Something this organization really needed.
He's not going to see the ice if he fumbles the puck as soon as Lucic or Horton go into the corner. He's useless if he's stuck in his zone and getting scored on.

I would hope people in a hockey forum would understand the basics of hockey, but it seems Neanderthals are infesting our boards.

P.S. Merrill is as big as Horton, so I don't get what you're complaining about.

Em Ancien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:11 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
He's not going to see the ice if he fumbles the puck as soon as Lucic or Horton go into the corner. He's useless if he's stuck in his zone and getting scored on.

I would hope people in a hockey forum would understand the basics of hockey, but it seems Neanderthals are infesting our boards.

P.S. Merrill is as big as Horton, so I don't get what you're complaining about.
Yes, if you count on him not developing any puck skills at all for 2 years straight then yes you are right.

I would hope people in a hockey prospect forum would understand that not all prospects develop at the same rate but.....nah im not going to call you a name thats childish.

Old
06-20-2011, 08:14 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I am now angry at Grant for recommending Tinordi.

Why did we have to trade up for him? At least it'd be easier to swallow if he was just there for us. But no we had to waste assets for someone who will, hopefully, end up being a bottom pairing D.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Yes, if you count on him not developing any puck skills at all for 2 years straight then yes you are right.

I would hope people in a hockey prospect forum would understand that not all prospects develop at the same rate but.....nah im not going to call you a name thats childish.
Considering he's not shown any progress in puck handling, actually regressed, and handles the puck like a grenade, makes stiff passes, hardly helps the breakout offense, I see absolutely no potential offensive upside. Think Ryan O'Byrne or Mike Komisarek.

I remember hearing the talk about Komisarek developping an offensive game too, when he went to Michigan. What we got was ridiculously bad.

It doesn't mean Tinordi's going to be a bad player, but we passed up potential game breakers for a role player. That's idiotic at best. At least don't trade up, that's just poor asset management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

Why did we have to trade up for him? At least it'd be easier to swallow if he was just there for us. But no we had to waste assets for someone who will, hopefully, end up being a bottom pairing D.
Shhh, you're angering those who would cut out their eyes to not see what's going on.

Old
06-20-2011, 08:20 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Considering he's not shown any progress in puck handling, actually regressed, and handles the puck like a grenade, makes stiff passes, hardly helps the breakout offense, I see absolutely no potential offensive upside. Think Ryan O'Byrne or Mike Komisarek.

I remember hearing the talk about Komisarek developping an offensive game too, when he went to Michigan. What we got was ridiculously bad.

It doesn't mean Tinordi's going to be a bad player, but we passed up potential game breakers for a role player. That's idiotic at best. At least don't trade up, that's just poor asset management.
I honestly could give two ***** about Tinordi's offensive game. I guess thats a DND for some, but we have Pk Subban, we have Markov, we could draft offensive dmen in other years. I loved when Komi and Markov were together and Komisarek was on his game. I honestly miss that. All Tinordi has to develop is learning to pass to Subban or make an outlet pass. Anything after that is gravy for me. He can be a gamebreaker in the defensive zone. We won't know who was right or wrong for atleast a couple years. 2nd round price tag was steep, but my theory is if you want him bad do what it takes to get him.

Old
06-20-2011, 08:22 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:

What a stupid question. They traded up for him because he would have been taken before their pick. Make sense?

Old
06-20-2011, 08:25 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
What a stupid question. They traded up for him because he would have been taken before their pick. Make sense?
So let the other teams make the mistake and not spend two valuable assets for a guy who is similar to one you're signing off of free agency.

Old
06-20-2011, 08:27 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:

For whatever it's worth, Craig Button was just on That's hockey doing prospect grades and he seems really high on Tinordi, specifically starting that many teams will be kicking themselves for not picking him when they had a chance. They had his projection as a #2D man with B grade. Most likely like most people here, thinking he is the prototypical defense partner for Subban.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:29 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
So let the other teams make the mistake and not spend two valuable assets for a guy who is similar to one you're signing off of free agency.
Mistake is a word you can use if he busts or becomes a bottom pairing guy. I will hold judgment until then. Unless people have a crystal ball and can see what he will be like in 4 years I think calling it a mistake is, well a mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
For whatever it's worth, Craig Button was just on That's hockey doing prospect grades and he seems really high on Tinordi, specifically starting that many teams will be kicking themselves for not picking him when they had a chance. They had his projection as a #2D man with B grade. Most likely like most people here, thinking he is the prototypical defense partner for Subban.
Good to hear.

Old
06-20-2011, 08:30 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Mistake is a word you can use if he busts or becomes a bottom pairing guy. I will hold judgment until then. Unless people have a crystal ball and can see what he will be like in 4 years I think calling it a mistake is, well a mistake.
He's well on his way...

Old
06-20-2011, 08:30 PM
OneSharpMarble

Oleksiak is a damn giant, if he has a bit of a mean streak he could be great or he could be useless. McNeill is pretty tough and probably a little more ready for the NHL. Scheilefe (sp?) Sounds like a safe/excellent pick but honestly I don't really know/care until they have some time in the NHL.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:33 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Oleksiak is a damn giant, if he has a bit of a mean streak he could be great or he could be useless. McNeill is pretty tough and probably a little more ready for the NHL. Scheilefe (sp?) Sounds like a safe/excellent pick but honestly I don't really know/care until they have some time in the NHL.
Oleksiak is not overly mean or physical, most scouts compare him more to a Gill than Chara or Pronger. That being said, if we had two D-men of that size and shutdown ability (he and Tinordi are much more mobile than Gill), they would cover a lot of ice and protect Price really well.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:34 PM
Grant McCagg

TSN's draft rankings are up........

http://tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=44969

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:34 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
He's well on his way...
Again TT said he would take a little longer to develop. Snap judgments after one year seems a little ridiculous to me.

Old
06-20-2011, 08:35 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Oleksiak is not overly mean or physical, most scouts compare him more to a Gill than Chara or Pronger. That being said, if we had two D-men of that size and shutdown ability (he and Tinordi are much more mobile than Gill), they would cover a lot of ice and protect Price really well.
Or look like complete stupid buffoons when players put pucks in their feet and enjoy their pivoting like dump-trucks.

Old
06-20-2011, 08:36 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Not unless they're soft like Gill, which Olesiak is. However, he did state he wants to be more physical.

Tyler Myers had 107 hits in 80 games. That's not overly physical.

In the playoffs he stepped it up, but so did Nathan Gerbe.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:39 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

No Joachim Nermark even in the honourable mentions? 3rd round pick by the Habs? Uh **** yes, please.

Old
06-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Did you tell him it is stupid to consider Oleksiak? Cause I'd be forever in debt to you if you did.
Oleksiak wasn't one of the players I recommended. We got our Oleksiak last year. As for the guy being angry at me for recommending Tinordi..thanks for the chuckle. Trevor doesn't decide his picks based on my inclinations. :-)

Old
06-20-2011, 08:41 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
I honestly could give two ***** about Tinordi's offensive game. I guess thats a DND for some, but we have Pk Subban, we have Markov, we could draft offensive dmen in other years. I loved when Komi and Markov were together and Komisarek was on his game. I honestly miss that. All Tinordi has to develop is learning to pass to Subban or make an outlet pass. Anything after that is gravy for me. He can be a gamebreaker in the defensive zone. We won't know who was right or wrong for atleast a couple years. 2nd round price tag was steep, but my theory is if you want him bad do what it takes to get him.
Let me get this straight...You're in a thread talking about drafting and following prospect all year long, then you just say you don't give a **** about getting good value for our picks? And you expect everyone else to drink the Habs management Kool-Aid at the same time?

What is the matter with you son?

Old
06-20-2011, 08:44 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Oleksiak wasn't one of the players I recommended. We got our Oleksiak last year. As for the guy being angry at me for recommending Tinordi..thanks for the chuckle. Trevor doesn't decide his picks based on my inclinations. :-)
That was me - haha. Obviously not, that's why I was joking with you. Although, I really hope Trevor isn't considering Oleksiak. It's like redoing the Tinordi pick over again, hoping you get one right. Put your confidence in Tinordi, move on and address the fact this team needs either a complete two way defenceman (Brodin or Klefbom) or a top two line player.

Old
Top Corner2

Quote:
TSN's draft rankings are up........

http://tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=44969

Great work on that!

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Or look like complete stupid buffoons when players put pucks in their feet and enjoy their pivoting like dump-trucks.

wow you sure are one cocky lad..... how long have you been the pre-eminent draft expert around here? Your ability to make all-knowing statements based on very little evidence is unprecedented.

I wish I could see a player a couple of times and be able to figure him out for now and his entire future. Check your lineage...perhaps you're an offspring of Nostradamus?

Old
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Let me get this straight...You're in a thread talking about drafting and following prospect all year long, then you just say you don't give a **** about getting good value for our picks? And you expect everyone else to drink the Habs management Kool-Aid at the same time?

What is the matter with you son?
Where did I say it wasn't good value? I said the price seemed steep, but its up to Management to decide if they really want the guy and if its worth it, they deemed so. I said I don't give two ***** about his offensive game because thats not why we drafted him. Thought it was clear. Guess for some it wasn't.

Old
06-20-2011, 08:49 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
wow you sure are one cocky lad..... how long have you been the pre-eminent draft expert around here? Your ability to make all-knowing statements based on very little evidence is unprecedented.

I wish I could see a player a couple of times and be able to figure him out for now and his entire future. Check your lineage...perhaps you're an offspring of Nostradamus?
I am more fed up with people equating the size of a defenceman with this perception that they are these winged beasts that are impossible to get around. You can't build your D around entirely 6'4+ guys and expect there to be no issues. A big defenceman has his issues, that's why we insulate Gill with Subban's mobility.

Like you said in your previous post, we got our Oleksiak last year. Forget about him and address the multitude of needs in the club. We've got Tinordi, we can only hope that he finds the game that Timmins saw in him. We don't need a do-over pick of that, a year later.