HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brad Richards to Vancouver?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-18-2011, 04:05 AM
  #1
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van
 
Lucbourdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,080
vCash: 50
Brad Richards to Vancouver?

Just me throwing this out there, I wonder if Brad would be interested in joining Vancouver?.

vancouver lets salo(3) + ehrhoff(5), Saves around 8m in cap.

Then uses the cap to get a legit star to play with kesler.

it sounds far fetched, but let's look at all the destinations people think richards is going to.

Toronto - Average at best team, Have some young talent, but no where close to compete for the cup.

LA Kings - Solid team from top to bottom, imo his best option.

Rangers - Solid team, but with the drury news, Don't see how they make cap room for him.

And now for,

Vancouver - They were one game away from the cup, clearly one of 3 teams who are favorites to take the cup next year. Need a high end player to play with kesler, Richards chance of winning the cup goes up drastically.

What do you all think?, Pipe dream?

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 04:23 AM
  #2
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,498
vCash: 645
They can probably make it work but their defense and forward depth would take a hit.

According to capgeek they have 13.7M in cap space. Both guys will get more but we'll say 6.5M for Richards and 4M for Bieksa. That leaves 3.2M in cap space and they would only have 8 forwards and 5 defensemen signed. Lapierre and Hansen are both RFAs. Torres, Higgins, and Glass are UFAs.

I think they would be even easier to play against next year and they would have to play Rome and Tanev everyday. If Hamhuis or Ballard get injured, which seems like it will happen at some point, their defense would be even worse.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 04:39 AM
  #3
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van
 
Lucbourdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,080
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
They can probably make it work but their defense and forward depth would take a hit.

According to capgeek they have 13.7M in cap space. Both guys will get more but we'll say 6.5M for Richards and 4M for Bieksa. That leaves 3.2M in cap space and they would only have 8 forwards and 5 defensemen signed. Lapierre and Hansen are both RFAs. Torres, Higgins, and Glass are UFAs.

I think they would be even easier to play against next year and they would have to play Rome and Tanev everyday. If Hamhuis or Ballard get injured, which seems like it will happen at some point, their defense would be even worse.
I think more cap can always be created by packaging ballard + cory schneider for a young d-man.

I doubt cory is going anywhere, unless gillis makes it clear, ballard is involved in the deal.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 04:57 AM
  #4
Blane Youngblood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
They can probably make it work but their defense and forward depth would take a hit.

According to capgeek they have 13.7M in cap space. Both guys will get more but we'll say 6.5M for Richards and 4M for Bieksa. That leaves 3.2M in cap space and they would only have 8 forwards and 5 defensemen signed. Lapierre and Hansen are both RFAs. Torres, Higgins, and Glass are UFAs.
The capgeek number you are looking at is based on this year's cap, not next years which I believe is supposed to be around $63.5M (per this: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=920106).

Assuming Lappy and Hansen sign for about $1M each and Parent makes the team, that leaves $2.4M to sign a 3rd line winger, a 4th line winger, and a spare fw.

Not bad...should have cash to upgrade certain spots.

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 05:47 AM
  #5
BeaverSports
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 824
vCash: 500
Would Richards really want to go to a team that already has Kesler and Sedin in the middle? Not likely.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 06:10 AM
  #6
The Messenger
Registered User
 
The Messenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
Would Richards really want to go to a team that already has Kesler and Sedin in the middle? Not likely.
I agree, these top tier players need and want ice time. That is why I think the stronger teams in the NHL would not be attractive to Richards. They can offer money and the real chance of a Stanley Cup but can they offer enough ice time without up-setting the status quo?

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 06:14 AM
  #7
Rschmitz
Registered User
 
Rschmitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tampa Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 4,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Just me throwing this out there, I wonder if Brad would be interested in joining Vancouver?.

vancouver lets salo(3) + ehrhoff(5), Saves around 8m in cap.

Then uses the cap to get a legit star to play with kesler.

it sounds far fetched, but let's look at all the destinations people think richards is going to.

Toronto - Average at best team, Have some young talent, but no where close to compete for the cup.

LA Kings - Solid team from top to bottom, imo his best option.

Rangers - Solid team, but with the drury news, Don't see how they make cap room for him.

And now for,

Vancouver - They were one game away from the cup, clearly one of 3 teams who are favorites to take the cup next year. Need a high end player to play with kesler, Richards chance of winning the cup goes up drastically.

What do you all think?, Pipe dream?
Tampa Bay - One win from being in the SC finals, has a history of success with the team, life long childhood friends on the team, lives there, has cap space, said he has a lot of interest in joining the team, GM has said he has strong interest in acquiring Richards, no state income tax, warm weather paradise, small media market.

Carry on

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 06:17 AM
  #8
Agent007
Registered User
 
Agent007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,584
vCash: 500
I doubt it would happen but icetime wouldn't be a problem.

First of all Kesler can play on the wing and Richards can play on the wing too.

Secondly on the PP Richards can play the point so he'll get all the icetime he wants on the PP.

Last but not least this would be a lot like Chicago getting Hossa except Hossa was a bit younger and Chicago was able to get him to one of those retirement deals that are no longer accepted in the NHL.

Nobody really heard much about Hossa going to Chicago until it happened so who knows but if Richards does come to Vancouver then Ehrhoff is all but gone since it's highly unlikely that the Canucks will have enough cap space to make it all work. So while they make their forward group stronger their defence gets weaker.

Could the Canucks afford him?? Yeah it's possible.

Does it make sense?? At the right number it might especially if Ehrhoff is gone.

Is it going to happen?? Unlikely but if Richards wants to win then Vancouver would be a team close to the top of his list along with LA.

If I had to guess I would say he goes to LA.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:27 AM
  #9
AlMo
Registered User
 
AlMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto
Country: Portugal
Posts: 9,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB_FANATIC View Post
Tampa Bay - One win from being in the SC finals, has a history of success with the team, life long childhood friends on the team, lives there, has cap space, said he has a lot of interest in joining the team, GM has said he has strong interest in acquiring Richards, no state income tax, warm weather paradise, small media market.

Carry on
Highly doubtful he goes back to TB. Richards is likely to get a long term contract close to 7 million per. Stamkos and Purcell have to be re-signed, Hedman and Downie will be RFA next summer and they need a goaltender.

I'm not saying it's impossible but he Bolts have been down that road and it didn't really work out the first time so I can't see them throwing Richards another big contract.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:30 AM
  #10
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!
 
Ruotsalainen29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Rangers - Solid team, but with the drury news, Don't see how they make cap room for him.
Once again, completely false as discussed in numerous threads on this board and the Rangers board.

Ruotsalainen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:31 AM
  #11
ShootIt
Registered User
 
ShootIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: 561
Country: United States
Posts: 6,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
Highly doubtful he goes back to TB. Richards is likely to get a long term contract close to 7 million per. Stamkos and Purcell have to be re-signed, Hedman and Downie will be RFA next summer and they need a goaltender.

I'm not saying it's impossible but he Bolts have been down that road and it didn't really work out the first time so I can't see them throwing Richards another big contract.
He might take a discount to play there. Not like he hasn't had his big pay day yet.
Home town discount at 5.5-6m a year.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:04 AM
  #12
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft
 
pooleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 5,671
vCash: 500
If vancouver signs richards they will lose out probably on bieska and erhoff, there goes your best defeseman (bieska) and ur PP qb (erhoff) but richards is a PP QB but if you were richards do you want to play wing on the 2nd line? Or center on the 1st line in other cities?

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:10 AM
  #13
ShootIt
Registered User
 
ShootIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: 561
Country: United States
Posts: 6,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
If vancouver signs richards they will lose out probably on bieska and erhoff, there goes your best defeseman (bieska) and ur PP qb (erhoff) but richards is a PP QB but if you were richards do you want to play wing on the 2nd line? Or center on the 1st line in other cities?
Well if he went back to Tampa, he would be on the second line more than likely.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:43 AM
  #14
Kings of Komarov
Registered User
 
Kings of Komarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Just me throwing this out there, I wonder if Brad would be interested in joining Vancouver?.

vancouver lets salo(3) + ehrhoff(5), Saves around 8m in cap.

Then uses the cap to get a legit star to play with kesler.

it sounds far fetched, but let's look at all the destinations people think richards is going to.

Toronto - Average at best team, Have some young talent, but no where close to compete for the cup.

LA Kings - Solid team from top to bottom, imo his best option.

Rangers - Solid team, but with the drury news, Don't see how they make cap room for him.

And now for,

Vancouver - They were one game away from the cup, clearly one of 3 teams who are favorites to take the cup next year. Need a high end player to play with kesler, Richards chance of winning the cup goes up drastically.

What do you all think?, Pipe dream?
Why? Whose Favourites?
Just because a team makes it too the cup final one year does not mean they are a favourite the next season. Especially with the product, or lack thereof, vancouver iced during the SCF

Kings of Komarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:49 AM
  #15
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Just me throwing this out there, I wonder if Brad would be interested in joining Vancouver?.

vancouver lets salo(3) + ehrhoff(5), Saves around 8m in cap.

Then uses the cap to get a legit star to play with kesler.

it sounds far fetched, but let's look at all the destinations people think richards is going to.

Toronto - Average at best team, Have some young talent, but no where close to compete for the cup.

LA Kings - Solid team from top to bottom, imo his best option.

Rangers - Solid team, but with the drury news, Don't see how they make cap room for him.

And now for,

Vancouver - They were one game away from the cup, clearly one of 3 teams who are favorites to take the cup next year. Need a high end player to play with kesler, Richards chance of winning the cup goes up drastically.

What do you all think?, Pipe dream?
Ridiculous is what it is.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:09 AM
  #16
One one two
Registered User
 
One one two's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: BC
Country: uriname
Posts: 112
vCash: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
If vancouver signs richards they will lose out probably on bieska and erhoff, there goes your best defeseman (bieska) and ur PP qb (erhoff) but richards is a PP QB but if you were richards do you want to play wing on the 2nd line? Or center on the 1st line in other cities?
Kevin Bieksa and Sami Salo have both expressed interest in taking a paycut to stay in Vancouver. Ehrhoff can walk if he wants to - I'm not stopping him. There are other players that can play the point on the powerplay, and are probably more effective in their own ends to boot.

If Richards were to sign in Vancouver (I hope he doesn't), he would most likely be playing with Kesler on the second line, and would be able to move up to our top line if necessary.

One one two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:11 AM
  #17
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin
 
Darrelle Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
How could Vancouver afford him?

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:19 AM
  #18
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,956
vCash: 13357
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Brad Richards ($7.000m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($2.500m)
Mason Raymond ($2.550m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.100m)
Raffi Torres ($1.000m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Victor Oreskovich ($0.775m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.250m)
Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Christian Ehrhoff ($4.500m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.100m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Aaron Rome ($0.750m)

GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m) / Cory Schneider ($0.900m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $63,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,108,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $391,667
----

Keep in mind this is using the projected cap of $63.5m but as you can see, it is quite feasible, albeit with certain players taking slightly less. If Richards agreed to a cheaper contract, then it would make things all the more manageable. There is also a strong probability Ballard will be moved, and thus keeping Ehrhoff and Bieska is not a stretch. Before anyone comments on the salary, both have already voiced a willingness to take discounts to stay in Vancouver. A secondary alternative would be to dump Samuelsson or Raymond and resign Higgins. The former may be difficult to move but the latter could easily net a pick and save us close to a million.

Would it happen? Probably not, but it certainly could be worked into the roster and make Vancouver all the more dominate. For those believing we are not favorites to repeat. Uh, you do recall we were the best team in just about every single category, yes? There is no reason to remotely consider Vancouver is not a favorite again.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:36 AM
  #19
Boltsfan2029
Registered User
 
Boltsfan2029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In deleted threads
Country: United States
Posts: 6,285
vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
He might take a discount to play there. Not like he hasn't had his big pay day yet.
Home town discount at 5.5-6m a year.
No "might" about it. In a recent interview he said he was aware he would be getting less but other things are factored in. I still doubt he signs here but money wouldn't be the issue, the length of the contract could be the deal killer.

Problem I see for Vancouver is that word is, no matter which team he signs with, Richards wants to be back in the Eastern Conference.

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:38 AM
  #20
Boltsfan2029
Registered User
 
Boltsfan2029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In deleted threads
Country: United States
Posts: 6,285
vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
Well if he went back to Tampa, he would be on the second line more than likely.
Our guess is he's be on a line with Stamkos. In Boucher's system the forwards aren't really locked into the center or wing positions, they really move around quite a bit. And, even if that wasn't the case, Stamkos technically played a lot of wing this season so it's not a given Richards would be "stuck" on anyone's wing.

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:59 AM
  #21
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,523
vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Brad Richards ($7.000m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($2.500m)
Mason Raymond ($2.550m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.100m)
Raffi Torres ($1.000m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Victor Oreskovich ($0.775m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.250m)
Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Christian Ehrhoff ($4.500m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.100m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Aaron Rome ($0.750m)

GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m) / Cory Schneider ($0.900m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $63,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,108,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $391,667
----

Keep in mind this is using the projected cap of $63.5m but as you can see, it is quite feasible, albeit with certain players taking slightly less. If Richards agreed to a cheaper contract, then it would make things all the more manageable. There is also a strong probability Ballard will be moved, and thus keeping Ehrhoff and Bieska is not a stretch. Before anyone comments on the salary, both have already voiced a willingness to take discounts to stay in Vancouver. A secondary alternative would be to dump Samuelsson or Raymond and resign Higgins. The former may be difficult to move but the latter could easily net a pick and save us close to a million.

Would it happen? Probably not, but it certainly could be worked into the roster and make Vancouver all the more dominate. For those believing we are not favorites to repeat. Uh, you do recall we were the best team in just about every single category, yes? There is no reason to remotely consider Vancouver is not a favorite again.
you are missing ballard

__________________
not sure how--but the fish just jumped in the boat and put the hook in it's mouth
52299/14814
The twenty year rebuild is on!!! Embrace the suck
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:16 AM
  #22
iPunch
Leafs Fan
 
iPunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,268
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB_FANATIC View Post
Tampa Bay - One win from being in the SC finals, has a history of success with the team, life long childhood friends on the team, lives there, has cap space, said he has a lot of interest in joining the team, GM has said he has strong interest in acquiring Richards, no state income tax, warm weather paradise, small media market.

Carry on
Richards signs long-term deal, Stamkos later walks for more money.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:31 AM
  #23
Boltsfan2029
Registered User
 
Boltsfan2029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In deleted threads
Country: United States
Posts: 6,285
vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafidelity View Post
Richards signs long-term deal, Stamkos later walks for more money.
Stamkos can walk for more money at some point whether we sign Richards or not.

We're aware Richards would love to be back in Tampa. We're also aware he would give a discount to manage it. The term we've heard is "significant" discount.

But if your point was that signing Richards would tie up money needed to keep Stamkos somewhere down the road, we have a few players who aren't going to be playing forever - St. Louis, Ohlund, etc. - and that will free up $. The trick is cap/salary management. So far, Yzerman has done a pretty good job of it. If signing Richards won't work long term, he won't pursue it.

But the point of this thread is the possibility of Richards going to Vancouver, and if it's true he wants to return to the east, they're going to have trouble convincing him to sign there.

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:44 AM
  #24
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,956
vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
you are missing ballard
And you missed my write up below. Ballard is almost certain to be moved, and no we will not have to package a first or Hodgson with him to do so.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:53 AM
  #25
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller
 
Frozen Failure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Richardson, TX
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,421
vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
I'd take Ballard for Richards' rights since you guys want Richards in this scenario...

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.