HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vancouver/Dallas

Old
06-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Laino

vCash: 500
Vancouver/Dallas

DAL:
Ballard
Hodgson
Connauton
First round pick
Second round pick

VAN:
Morrow

I'm sure Morrow isn't available but what would it take to get him out of Dallas? I'm no Vancouver fan either but I think he would play well with Kesler and it seems like Vancouver fans want a good winger to play with him. I'm bored. Morrow is Dallas' captain though and I think he could fetch a little more than this but Hodgson is a top prospect, Ballard is basically a cap dump because I don't know the Canucks cap situation... Flame on!

Laino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:20 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laino View Post
DAL:
Ballard
Hodgson
Connauton
First round pick
Second round pick

VAN:
Morrow

I'm sure Morrow isn't available but what would it take to get him out of Dallas? I'm no Vancouver fan either but I think he would play well with Kesler and it seems like Vancouver fans want a good winger to play with him. I'm bored. Morrow is Dallas' captain though and I think he could fetch a little more than this but Hodgson is a top prospect, Ballard is basically a cap dump because I don't know the Canucks cap situation... Flame on!
that is wayyyyy too much for Morrow

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Huge overpayment

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:55 AM
The Big Foot

I doubt that Morrow would have made a huge difference over Higgins this year. He's a great character guy to be sure and I have a ton of respect for him and his game, but his impact in Dallas is different from what his impact in Vancouver would be.

Obviously Morrow is better in every regard than Higgins, but not by enough to warrant any kind of overpayment. I'd say Ballard and our first for Morrow would be fair.

OP, don't start threads and then admit you don't know anything about one team's cap situation. It's not that hard to run things through Capgeek first.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:57 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
DAL:
Ballard
Hodgson
Connauton
First round pick
Second round pick

VAN:
Morrow

ballard is dead weight and a none factor

the rest is a lot to give up

I think that the deal is also designed to move Ballard contract

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
ballard is dead weight and a none factor

the rest is a lot to give up

I think that the deal is also designed to move Ballard contract
If the Canucks wanted to move Ballard for nothing they'd put him on waivers and he'd be picked up. The Canucks won't need to "sweeten the pot" in order to move Ballard. Teams will lose out in UFA and will be looking for a PMD capable of playing top 4 minutes.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Just simple it down to

To

Brendan Morrow
UFA right of Jammie Langenbrunner

To

Cody Hodgson/ Jordan Schroeder
Keith Ballard
1 st round pick

Horvat2Virtanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

Since Dallas is a cap strapped team they really couldn't afford to take on a big, dead weight contract like Ballards.

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:56 AM
Ogi1Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
I doubt that Morrow would have made a huge difference over Higgins this year. He's a great character guy to be sure and I have a ton of respect for him and his game, but his impact in Dallas is different from what his impact in Vancouver would be.

Obviously Morrow is better in every regard than Higgins, but not by enough to warrant any kind of overpayment. I'd say Ballard and our first for Morrow would be fair.

OP, don't start threads and then admit you don't know anything about one team's cap situation. It's not that hard to run things through Capgeek first.
That deal is atrocious for Dallas. Ballard is absolutely dead weight on a 3-4 year contract and Van's 1st is essentially a 2nd rounder. Brenden Morrow has 2 years left at very affordable 4.1 mil. And I disagree about Morrow not having as much of an impact than Higgins. He adds a physical dimension on your top six (along with Kesler), and can pot plenty of dirty goals in front of the net.

With that said, the original OP proposal is overpayment. Morrow is a 25-30 goal PF with a ton of intangibles. But I still don't think he's worth that package.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi View Post
That deal is atrocious for Dallas. Ballard is absolutely dead weight on a 3-4 year contract and Van's 1st is essentially a 2nd rounder. Brenden Morrow has 2 years left at very affordable 4.1 mil. And I disagree about Morrow not having as much of an impact than Higgins. He adds a physical dimension on your top six (along with Kesler), and can pot plenty of dirty goals in front of the net.

With that said, the original OP proposal is overpayment. Morrow is a 25-30 goal PF with a ton of intangibles. But I still don't think he's worth that package.
People are so stupid. The Canucks could get at least draft picks for Ballard. A lot of teams would like to have a puck moving defenseman that can hit. He's undervalued big time on these boards by people that don't even follow the Canucks. It's embarrassing.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 01:39 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
The fact that EV didn't play Ballard 24/7 in the playoffs doesn't mean he sucks.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun

vCash: 325
I think that the rights to Ehrhoff could be of some value to Dallas.

Morrow would be ideal for the Canucks IMO, but the price would be quite high.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 04:02 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post

The original proposal notwithstanding, I disagree with you. The upgrade in Morrow's all around game is significant in comparison to what Higgins brings to the table. Higgins was a hanger-on in Vancouver's top 6 whereas Morrow would solidify the second line. Their impact or potential impact in Vancouver aren't really comparable IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
People are so stupid. The Canucks could get at least draft picks for Ballard. A lot of teams would like to have a puck moving defenseman that can hit. He's undervalued big time on these boards by people that don't even follow the Canucks. It's embarrassing.
That may be true but he's not worth our captain and leading goal scorer from a year ago. The late 1st has value but not the kind that HF creams their pants over. Not a good deal from a Dallas POV.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 05:42 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderyears View Post
Since Dallas is a cap strapped team they really couldn't afford to take on a big, dead weight contract like Ballards.
This is not correct.

Depending on the cap next season, Dallas will likely need to spend $9 million to reach the cap floor.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 05:45 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
I know some Dallas fans want the team to trade some vets, but people need to be realistic. The organization loves Brenden, and there is zero motivation to move him. Regardless of his perceived value, a team would have to pay a significant cost for him.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 06:38 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I know some Dallas fans want the team to trade some vets, but people need to be realistic. The organization loves Brenden, and there is zero motivation to move him. Regardless of his perceived value, a team would have to pay a significant cost for him.
Oh yeah but if they were offered a top prospect a top 4 dman and solid dman prospect and two high picks they would be silly not to ask him to waive his NTC.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 12:04 PM
batmansuncle

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Mars View Post
Just simple it down to

To

Brendan Morrow
UFA right of Jammie Langenbrunner

To

Cody Hodgson/ Jordan Schroeder
Keith Ballard
1 st round pick
I would actually do this trade from a Dallas POV

batmansuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 12:08 PM
pcanuck

Vancouver will not give up the farm for Morrow.

pcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
This is not correct.

Depending on the cap next season, Dallas will likely need to spend $9 million to reach the cap floor.
I understand that but since Dallas wasn't able to keep Richards around for even a smaller cap hit to what he was at now I figured they couldn't really afford to carry a player with an individually high salary. Could they afford to pay a third pairing dman 4.2million?

Old
06-19-2011, 12:17 PM
NYVanfan

IMO, couple points in this thread --
Don't think Langenbrunners UFA rights are worth much if anything
Don't think Ballard is worthless -- he has proven to be a solid top 4 guy, the Canucks just have better top 4 guys
Don't think Erhoff's rights are of interest to Dal w Goligoski there
I do think Morrow has significant value and a guy like him or Doan is exactly what the Canucks need, a vet who can score, lead and play physical. If Dal & Phx are looking to grow a young core this type of deal makes sense, IMO.
However I wouldn't break the bank for either, but would give up a good young guy like Schneider or Hodgson.
How about Hodgson, Ballard for Morrow and a good 4th liner?

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

I find it hard to believe when Canucks fans still claim Ballard is a solid top 4 dman. He couldn't even break the regular lineup in the playoffs, even when Hamhuis was injured. It reminds me of Toronto fans trying to dump Komisarek to teams and claim he's still a solid physical dman that can be a second pairing and should have significant trade value.

Old
06-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
DAL:
Ballard
Hodgson
Connauton
First round pick
Second round pick

VAN:
Morrow

All that for Mikael Samuelsson level offensive production at a 50% larger cap hit?

God no.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post

All that for Mikael Samuelsson level offensive production at a 50% larger cap hit?

God no.
Yes, because all Morrow brings to the table is pure offense.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 12:50 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderyears View Post
I find it hard to believe when Canucks fans still claim Ballard is a solid top 4 dman. He couldn't even break the regular lineup in the playoffs, even when Hamhuis was injured. It reminds me of Toronto fans trying to dump Komisarek to teams and claim he's still a solid physical dman that can be a second pairing and should have significant trade value.
it's a question of fit
Ballard is best in a top 4 role and the Canucks had lots of those guys, and for whatever reason, he didn't work for AV.
one bad season doesn not erase a decent career as a top 4 who can score and defend (couple 30+ pt season, incl 39 in Phx one year) Plus he's younger than Komi.
The Canucks will not kill themselves to dump Ballard, it's not neccesary. They may keep him if they cant retain Erhoff.

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi View Post
Yes, because all Morrow brings to the table is pure offense.
They`re called intangibles for a reason. If intangibles are given more weight than tangible production you`re going down a road of failure.

The fact of the matter is Brendan Morrow produces offense nealry identical to Mikael Samuelsson and does it with a much larger cap hit. To want to break the bank for a lateral move offensively is a recipe for disaster.

Tell me with a straight face that offer was anything but a preposterous overpayment. If you can, you win.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote