HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Vancouver Riots Part V

Old
06-18-2011, 09:11 PM
Skrudland2Lomakin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinalWord View Post
I actually think it was somewhat heartfelt. The kid did a douchey thing and he's going to pay for his idiocy. While he's become the poster boy for people identified, I personally think the random assaults were worse.

I've done dumb things when I was younger and so I would be willing to let him move on with his life after he pays his dues.

Everyone makes mistakes, and at least he's willing to face the fire head on and apologize. It's a start.
Somewhat agree, there are going to be huge scape goats for this whole thing. People who looted, and burned cars might not ever see a day of justice, meanwhile those who mildly participated and got caught will likely catch the full force of the law, and then some. I don't have pity in the sense that these people should pay for their crimes, the only thing I pity is that I know with the media storm and the public pressure it's very likely most of these people will get far more drastic sentences then their own specific crimes warranted. I think I would like to see the courts and the people keep a level head about the whole thing and hand down reasonable sentences for the crimes committed, I don't think anyone should face a stiffer penalty simply because this is such a media fire storm. The big problem is how all this will all shake out, the police got criticized for not acting before hand and not properly neutralizing the issue when it arose, the mayor got called out foreseeing this and then laid out a ludicrous excuse of anarchy that no one bought, so with all of this anger it wouldn't shock me to see everyone kind of shift their own criticism back on the accused. I do not envy any one trying to get a fair sentence out of this.

Skrudland2Lomakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:16 PM
NotAPuckBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Water polo boy's apology on global news

oh and the video in there shows him trying to light the rag on fire
I chuckled, but I almost feel sorry for him. It seems sincere, but he deserves all of it. And also, I doubt he would be sorry if he didn't get caught.

NotAPuckBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:19 PM
Phil Connors*

Quote:
Originally Posted by notapuckbunny View Post
I chuckled, but I almost feel sorry for him. It seems sincere, but he deserves all of it. And also, I doubt he would be sorry if he didn't get caught.
100% agree

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by notapuckbunny View Post
He turned himself in

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:47 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
He turned himself in
Only because he was identified by the internet

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:48 PM
NotAPuckBunny

Quote:
He turned himself in
Well that was after he got all the bad light on his name and became a joke to lots of people.

Edit: ^ beat me to it

NotAPuckBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:49 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
He turned himself in
Umm - his face was plastered all over the internet lighting a police car on fire. It's not like the guy was going to get away with this and had a 'change of heart' and decided to fess up.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:51 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Umm - his face was plastered all over the internet lighting a police car on fire. It's not like the guy was going to get away with this and had a 'change of heart' and decided to fess up.
Okay, but he's not a Brock Anton who went bragging about it on Facebook.

I'm not saying clear his name, but I'm thinking that it really was a lapse in judgement for this guy. He got caught up with the wrong crowd, in the wrong mindset and acted poorly.

I'm hoping he doesn't lose out on his future just because of this.

Old
06-18-2011, 09:54 PM
JaysCyYoung

Getting "caught up in the wrong crowd" at age 17 is missing your curfew a few times or doing recreational drugs and maybe having it impact on your academic life at school. It's not trying to set a police vehicle on fire twice.

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:56 PM
the word*

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Water polo boy's apology on global news

oh and the video in there shows him trying to light the rag on fire
This will be the watershed case. If they don't prosecute water polo boy to the full extent of the law all the tough talk from the mayor and premier is total BS. Everyone wanted to crucify an 'anarchist' or two but guess what, you have some sniveling rich boy punk who turned on the waterworks for the camera, probably with a high paid legal defense, to deal with as vancouver's whipping boy schmuck.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Quote:
Okay, but he's not a Brock Anton who went bragging about it on Facebook.

I'm not saying clear his name, but I'm thinking that it really was a lapse in judgement for this guy. He got caught up with the wrong crowd, in the wrong mindset and acted poorly.

I'm hoping he doesn't lose out on his future just because of this.
No sympathy for him from me. None whatsoever. He's an idiot on so many levels.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
No sympathy for him from me. None whatsoever. He's an idiot on so many levels.
I feel sorry for him, but then again, I'm not from Vancouver, and I like to think I've never done something that stupid.

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:04 PM
the word*

Quote:
He turned himself in
What choice did he have? To go on the lamb? There's photographic and video evidence enough to prosecute him on numerous charges. If that wasn't bad enogh, I'm pretty sure there are pictures of him starting a trash bin fire as well.

Old
06-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
I feel sorry for him. Not because he does not deserve what he's getting, but because he fed up his life badly for something so dumb.

Also, with the power of social media, there's no way this guy will ever live one day without being reminded of it. As much as it's dumb to lit a police car on fire, at least he did not kill or injure any other human being. This guy should pay ($$) for his actions, but it should end there. We shouldn't pick on this guy specifically like bullies.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
I feel sorry for him. Not because he does not deserve what he's getting, but because he fed up his life badly for something so dumb.

Also, with the power of social media, there's no way this guy will ever live one day without being reminded of it. As much as it's dumb to lit a police car on fire, at least he did not kill or injure any other human being. This guy should pay ($$) for his actions, but it should end there. We shouldn't pick on this guy specifically like bullies.
That's what I mean. He absolutely deserves punishment, but yeah, calling this guy out and harassing him any further makes us not much better than the rioters.

Old
06-18-2011, 10:10 PM
SP

We all did stupid things as teenagers. Most of us didn't set a police car on fire.

Quote:
That's what I mean. He absolutely deserves punishment, but yeah, calling this guy out and harassing him any further makes us not much better than the rioters.
Pretty sure there is a big difference between criticizing a criminal and looting/assault/vandalism/arson/whatever.

SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tooth Grin View Post
We all did stupid things as teenagers. Most of us didn't set a police car on fire.

Pretty sure there is a big difference between criticizing a criminal and looting/assault/vandalism/arson/whatever.
If the criticism turns into harassment (aka flooding his Facebook profile and all that), then yeah, there's not much of a difference.

Old
06-18-2011, 10:14 PM
oilWILDcountry

He didn't actually set it on fire though....

No doubt in my mind that he should be punished. But I agree with some others that it was just a stupid in-the-moment thing. I don't think he went there just to light a police car on fire.

If he's suspended from the national team for a couple years and does community service and gets a hefty fine, I'd say that's enough.

oilWILDcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:18 PM
the word*

Quote:
The riot's just getting started.

I wonder if we'll see vigilante groups now?

We've all ready seen social media vigilantism at its finest.

Old
06-18-2011, 10:19 PM
CrazyCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post

Would u feel sorry for him still if was susscessful in lighting it and then exploding and killing people?
The looting and fighting with other rioters is whatever. But to attempt to light a car on fire and endangering your fellow human? You should get the book thrown at you and noone should feel sorry for him. He did it on his own accord. Noone put a gun to his head and said light the car on fire.

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:19 PM
DRWCountryClub

Quote:
If the criticism turns into harassment (aka flooding his Facebook profile and all that), then yeah, there's not much of a difference.
Saying your an idiot on facebook is similar to trying to start a car on fire and inciting a riot?

Ok.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:21 PM
DRWCountryClub

Quote:
Would u feel sorry for him still if was susscessful in lighting it and then exploding and killing people?
The looting and fighting with other rioters is whatever. But to attempt to light a car on fire and endangering your fellow human? You should get the book thrown at you and noone should feel sorry for him. He did it on his own accord. Noone put a gun to his head and said light the car on fire.
As someone already so thoughtfully pointed out it was the "anarchist" in the black hoody who "told" him to do it and what to do!

No responsibility!

It's all activists!

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:26 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Classy View Post
I feel sorry for him, but then again, I'm not from Vancouver, and I like to think I've never done something that stupid.
It's just hard for me to feel sorry for him. He is a criminal who acted in a malicious and thoughtless manner. He endangered the health of others. In all honesty, I have more compassion for a guy who robs a bank because he has no money than I do for someone who did what he did. There was no reason to do what he did other than malicious intent.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:27 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I feel sorry for the kid, but feeling sorry doesn't excuse him. He deserves the full brunt of the law. If not, why even have laws?

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:29 PM
CrazyCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
It's just hard for me to feel sorry for him. He is a criminal who acted in a malicious and thoughtless manner. He endangered the health of others. In all honesty, I have more compassion for a guy who robs a bank because he has no money than I do for someone who did what he did. There was no reason to do what he did other than malicious intent.
+1 How could you not know what happens when lighting a car on fire?? Are you that stupid?

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote