HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Vancouver Riots Part V

Old
06-18-2011, 10:38 PM
NotAPuckBunny

vCash: 500
http://www.globaltvbc.com/video/inde...lI086vZki4K3Z4

Full Nathan Kotylak interview
Addresses a lot of things here.

He googled his name and that's why he decided to turn himself in.

NotAPuckBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:39 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
What choice did he have? To go on the lam?
He could have swum away, one pool at a time

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:40 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Okay, but he's not a Brock Anton who went bragging about it on Facebook.
There's only one Brock Anton

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:43 PM
Jacob

Attempting to light a cop car on fire amongst a huge crowd of people seems to go a little beyond any "boys will be boys" or "just got caught up in the moment thing."

I think he already got a break in that he wasn't actually successful at blowing up the car and thus didn't hurt anyone. He's lucky. He deserves everything else that's about to come to him.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:46 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddie View Post
General question to the world.

If Canadian:

Do you think the worlds opinion/image of CANADA has been effected by the Vancouver riots?

Do you think the worlds opinion/image of VANCOUVER has been effected by the Vancouver riots?
My impression from American friends is there's pretty much a collective "Wtf?" going on. They seem to think it's funny and surprising.

I don't really care too much what the rest of the world thinks, every country is comprised of mostly idiots anyway, including Canada.

What I took out of the riot was an even less rosey view of humanity. I'm absolutely disgusted by the people that just followed the herd and started rioting, like they assume all the regular rules were suspended just because other people are doing it too. That's even more disgusting than the idiots that planned to riot, at least to me.

So I find it's more of a "wtf humanity?" things than a "wtf Vancouver?" thing. We need to grow up at a species.

I almost forgot to call out all the people that are blaming this on sports fans. That's absolutely moronic in my opinion. There really is a tribal, flag-waving sect of sports fandom that really takes things too seriously, that's true. But speaking for myself and every sports fan that I associate with regularly, we aren't like that. I watch hockey because I appreciate the game and because I'm a fairly competitive person (not in an unhealthy way). I guess I do wave a flag, I cheer for the Oilers, but I'd never in my life fight someone over that.

Just wanted to get that out there, I don't like seeing sports demonized because of the riot.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:00 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Water polo boy's apology on global news

oh and the video in there shows him trying to light the rag on fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tooth Grin View Post
Hahahahah, look at him cry.

What a dumb****.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Yeah, I didn't feel bad for him at all
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiKrejci View Post
The second he started crying I started cracking up. Good thing he doesn't play a real sport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsetHabs View Post
I laughed too

I felt sorry for him ... kinda. Then again you do the crime you do the time so I hope they come down hard on him.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:12 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

I don't feel sorry for him one bit. What a *********.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:27 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Called advice from his lawyer make public apology might save you a year.

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:27 PM
Padrino86

90% of the people in this thread obviously never been drunk in a crowd of people. This riot will end up costing people living in Vancouver an extra dollar or two at the end of the year. Sure, they should be held accountable for their actions and fined but really... ruining their career? Unless you stabbed someone...

I can think of MANY more things that piss me off in real life and ends up costing me A LOT MORE at the end of the year. Gas and food prices, for example. Yet, some of you would be ready to beat them down senseless.

Some people on this site are seriously ****ed up.

Padrino86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:30 PM
OneManArmy

He's an idiot. Should of used his ****ing head before torching a police car.

OneManArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:31 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

what a *****

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:32 PM
Bottleknocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Carmoni View Post
ya but what the thugs did here doesnt come close to the damage your thugs did lol

If we ever did manage to get to game 7 of the SCF, obivously it might be worse but the cop presence would be insane...I doubt it ever reaches Vancouver levels. Vancouver police dropped the ball big time...
How do you blame the cops for this? There were thousands of rioters.. obviously the cops are outnumbered. What are they going to do, start firing into the crowds? Even non-lethals have been known to cause serious injury and death (girl in Boston riot was killed by a bean bag bullet after the Sox pennant win.)

Cops did all they could, but it was clear that the rioters were willing to go against the cops, and even attack them. Are they supposed to fight them all off with batons and riot shields? They were outnumbered severely.

I'd say if you're going to lay fault on someone beyond the rioters, it should go to the city of Vancouver. It's common knowledge how passionate the public is about the Canucks... they should have had worst case scenario precautions in place before the game even ended, like calling in additional units from surrounding cities, and even any national guardsmen from Vancouver. Mere presence would have probably stifled any riotous activity. But it seemed as if they didn't even think this would have happened, and so didn't prepare.

That doesn't make it the Cops fault though. They stood up to that overwhelming mob despite being outnumbered, and did their best to try to get things under control, despite having little to no resources at their disposal.

Blame your politicians for sitting on their hands and not planning for the worst. Cops only do what they're told to do.

Bottleknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:34 PM
Asquaredx2

I suspect the feeling of invulnerability of the large crowd led them to believe there weren't going to be consequences. So, they need to nail these guys as a warning to future potential rioters.

This Nathan guy is a dumb-***. How promising he is as an athlete shouldn't have anything to do with his punishment.

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:35 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino86 View Post
90% of the people in this thread obviously never been drunk in a crowd of people. This riot will end up costing people living in Vancouver an extra dollar or two at the end of the year. Sure, they should be held accountable for their actions and fined but really... ruining their career? Unless you stabbed someone...

I can think of MANY more things that piss me off in real life and ends up costing me A LOT MORE at the end of the year. Gas and food prices, for example. Yet, some of you would be ready to beat them down senseless.

It has nothing to do with tax payers cost. It has to do with being a respectfull person in the community. And if you can't handle your booze do not drink. I am sure the people who got Injured from being a bystander are upset about the extra few dollars. And by the sound of your post you have done some seriously stupid things while you have been drinking.

Old
06-18-2011, 11:35 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:

...Yea. Some people certainly are. Like people that appear to be defending rioters. A riot is kind of a big ****ing deal. You do realize cars were on fire and exploding, right? Cop cars as well. People were beaten for trying to protect property.

I can't believe you're actually trying to defend rioters. Maybe I'm looking at things as black and white but I really don't see much gray area here (or gray matter in respect to the rioters).

edit: I just wanted to add that I've been drunk in a few very large groups of people. I can recall being in Sydney, Aus for New Years 08 and there had to be at least 100,000 people celebrating at the harbor near the opera house. I was quite drunk as was everyone else, I saw fights, I actually had a guy thrown into me while he was fighting someone else. I got up, shoved him away and that was that. I didn't feel like getting violent or destroying anything because I'm not an animal. When things get too heated I simply leave, I don't get involved. Quite honestly the only reason I'd ever have for getting violent is to defend myself or defend people I care about, that's it. There's absolutely no justification to the riots, I don't care how many drunk people there were, they're ****ing blithering idiots that only needed booze to turn into animals.

Last edited by Lay Z Boy GM: 06-18-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old
06-18-2011, 11:40 PM
Padrino86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
...Yea. Some people certainly are. Like people that appear to be defending rioters. A riot is kind of a big ****ing deal. You do realize cars were on fire and exploding, right? Cop cars as well. People were beaten for trying to protect property.

I can't believe you're actually trying to defend rioters. Maybe I'm looking at things as black and white but I really don't see much gray area here (or gray matter in respect to the rioters).
I'm not defending rioters, I'm just saying there is a lot worse then rioters.

Unless you're Brock Anton stupid, I'd like to believe most of them realized it was a mistake the following day...

Also, to the guy above, this is not hollywood. Nobody set up dynamites into these cars. They don't explode, get a grip.

Old
06-18-2011, 11:42 PM
razman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilWILDcountry View Post
He didn't actually set it on fire though....

No doubt in my mind that he should be punished. But I agree with some others that it was just a stupid in-the-moment thing. I don't think he went there just to light a police car on fire.

If he's suspended from the national team for a couple years and does community service and gets a hefty fine, I'd say that's enough.
Look at the 13 second mark of this video. A guy adds fuel to a fire someone is trying to light. It's that same kid, Nathan Kotylak. Not only the police car but before that as well. That shows time between his actions of vandalism. He's apologetic because he got caught. If he didn't, I bet he'd think back as it was fun.

http://www.vancouversun.com/Video+Ou...694/story.html

razman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:42 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:

Unless you're Brock Anton stupid, I'd like to believe most of them realized it was a mistake the following day...

Also, to the guy above, this is not hollywood. Nobody set up dynamites into these cars. They don't explode, get a grip.
Maybe not but you were defending drunks

Old
06-18-2011, 11:43 PM
Oscar Acosta

vCash: 1083
I think it's kind of disturbing how much pleasure people are taking in the ruin of other's lives. "Let's dig up their names and post it on the internet repeatedly so they never get a job and ruin their reputations for life!"

Calm down, the vengeful reaction usually reserved for sex offenders is being applied to stupid teenagers getting caught up in things. At 17, I was a moron, I can't say I wouldn't have made the same idiotic mistake.

Oscar Acosta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:46 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:

Gas tanks will explode when a car is on fire. It's definitely not like in Hollywood movies but I saw it happen in a few riot videos myself.

I can't read minds but I have a hunch most of these people coming out and apologizing are doing it because they've already been ID'd from pictures/video. They wouldn't have felt sorry if they didn't get caught and they wouldn't have cared for a second if everyone else wasn't so angry and embarrassed by the riots. They're freaking sheep, they jumped into the riots when everyone around them was and now they feel sorry because the overwhelming majority is pissed at them.

Old
06-18-2011, 11:46 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
I think it's kind of disturbing how much pleasure people are taking in the ruin of other's lives. "Let's dig up their names and post it on the internet repeatedly so they never get a job and ruin their reputations for life!"

Calm down, the vengeful reaction usually reserved for sex offenders is being applied to stupid teenagers getting caught up in things. At 17, I was a moron, I can't say I wouldn't have made the same idiotic mistake.
Yeah well he will have 2 years less a day to think about being Immature at 17. And if you are worried about having your name plastered all over the internet my advice is don't be a fn moron.

Old
06-18-2011, 11:47 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

I feel sorry for him in that he ruined his career. He absolutely be punished to the fullest extent however.

In my opinion though, if he truly wants to prove he's sorry, do something about it. Help with the cleanup effort. Donate to help fix the buildings and cars that were destroyed. Actions speak louder than words.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:48 PM
MotorMaster

vCash: 250

Fake cry!

MotorMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:49 PM
Padrino86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
Gas tanks will explode when a car is on fire. It's definitely not like in Hollywood movies but I saw it happen in a few riot videos myself.

I can't read minds but I have a hunch most of these people coming out and apologizing are doing it because they've already been ID'd from pictures/video. They wouldn't have felt sorry if they didn't get caught and they wouldn't have cared for a second if everyone else wasn't so angry and embarrassed by the riots. They're freaking sheep, they jumped into the riots when everyone around them was and now they feel sorry because the overwhelming majority is pissed at them.
lol @ gas tank explode.

Old
06-18-2011, 11:51 PM
deanmoriarty

Off the top of my head I can think of about 100 better reasons to riot than a damn game.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote