HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

My Vancouver Canucks Off-Season Plan

Old
06-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Canuckfan4Life2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesGM View Post
Here's a basic plan.

1-Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
2-(Raymond?)-Kesler-Samuelson
3-Torres-Malhotra-Hansen
4-Higgins-Konopka-Oreskovich
Pressbox- Gillies/Haley/Asham

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Salo
Erhoff-Tanev
Rome

Luongo
Schneider

Does Raymond come back?? Where's Ballard?

Bury Ballard in the minors and see how he does. Maybe he can get top pairing mins and get his mojo back. You save 4.2 on the cap, which pays for Erhoff and Bieksa's Raises. Salo at a slight discount or same salary. Higgins at 2~2.5million, Torres at 1.5million.

Spend the rest on toughness for our 4th lines.

If Raymond looks like he might have a very long road back (like it will be easy??)...Leino could be a target for the top 6....Cole could be as well. But Gillis has to fit it under the cap.

I also would LOVE to trade our 1st+++ for Backes or Hartnell... but that is a pipe dream.

As for the draft:Oleksiak, Connor Murphy, Dmitri Jaskin, Tomas Jurco, JT Miller, Grimaldi, Scott Mayfeld. PLEASE Gillis... unless u get a Power forward for it, keep your first!!!
Lapierre???

No way we bury Ballard sends a bad message for future and he'd be stuck in minors all year no way he clears re-entry waivers and we'd be stuck paying half his salary

Canuckfan4Life2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 09:59 PM
deckercky

No way Ballard makes it through wavers so re-entry isn't a concern. GMs aren't as fast to give players negative value as HF is.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 02:06 AM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Just curious, do you think our current line up could win the cup. Having raymond and sammy on the second line.

Do you think injuries won't happen next year?, magic 8 ball maybe?.
You are right about bieksa tho, I wanted to dump him, won't argue with you there.

Bieksa tho got to play with Hamhuis this year, its the #1 reason he had such a good year, Hamhuis was imo the best d-man the canucks had all year. He is criminally underrated, and was huge in the playoffs, with bieksa as his partner.

And for ballard, Do you think he is gonna have a comeback year?, who will he play with next year?, Tanev is my bet. He does not have the luxury of playing with a guy like hamhuis who saved bieksa's career.

Also the Richards thing was the non-realistic plan, I don't expect to get him, but lets say we did...

Our defense would still look good enough to win the cup, we would still have our shutdown pairing in Hamhuis and Bieksa, not to mention Edler and Ehrhoff.

Richards would put our offense over the top, I think you read way to much about "oh well he will be payed the highest on the team, blah blah". Richards would give the canucks two first lines basically, While it's true Defense wins championships, So does offense (look at tampa).

On a final note, If you literally want to sign everybody we had this year, and not make any improvements, especially to the 2nd line, then I can nearly guarantee you, we won't make the cup final.

There is no rule in the book that a good team can't get better.
There is also a saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

That said, I have no problem with improving the team where such change actually addresses a problem and improves the team. I just disagree as to the type of player needed to improve the team and I disagree with the need for panic or wholesale changes.

Would I be happy with Raymond and Sameulsson as Kesler's winger? No. I would be okay with Raymond there, but I think he may be more useful on the third line. As for Samuelsson I would prefer to see him traded along with Rome in order to allow some of the younger players and prospects a chance at a roster spot. I also would not be unhappy to see Ehrhoff, Alberts, Glass or Tambellini allowed to find a new team if they can get a better deal there. I definately don't feel Ehrhoff brings any more value to our team then about $4 million or less. I also wouldn't offer Torres more than $1.25 million for one year either. If he wants or can get more then let him walk.

I would re-sign Bieksa, Higgins, Lapierre, Oreskovich and Hansen. I'd also offer Salo a $1 to $1.5 million one year contract. To those I would want Gillis to add one if not two gritty, physical players to the line-up. My very first choice, though highlly unlikely would be Byfuglien from Winnipeg. You asked who I would team Ballard up with. That is who.

If not Byfuglien I would like Gillis to either acquire Dustin Penner or Dustin Brown from LA or acquire one of Roman Josi, Jonathan Blum, Cody Franson or Teemu Laakso from Nashville. If we could get a defenseman and a forward all the better, but if not a single trade for one of those players should be enough.

Your trade suggestions and team changes are meant to improve the offense and goal scoring on the Canucks. Nothing wrong in improving goal production but Vancouver has been one of the highest scoring teams in the league for a number of years now. Improving on our offense would be nice but not a priority seeing we already out score our opposition.

My trade suggestions and team changes are meant to address team offense against teams that rely on some aspect of defense or physical intimidation. Instead of skilled offensive players to play with Kesler, I'm okay with the goal scorers we have, but I want to either see our defense even stronger or add some muscle and physical intimidation to our forward lines.

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows/Penner
Higgins/Raymond - Kesler - Penner/Burrows
Higgins/Raymond - Malhotra - Hansen
Torres/Hodgson - Lapierre - Oreskovich
Shirokov/Sweatt

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Ehrhoff/Tanev
Ballard - Byfuglien
Salo/Parent

Luongo
Schnieder

Some changes yes, but not wholesale changes.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 02:47 AM
Canuckfan4Life2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman View Post

That said, I have no problem with improving the team where such change actually addresses a problem and improves the team. I just disagree as to the type of player needed to improve the team and I disagree with the need for panic or wholesale changes.

Would I be happy with Raymond and Sameulsson as Kesler's winger? No. I would be okay with Raymond there, but I think he may be more useful on the third line. As for Samuelsson I would prefer to see him traded along with Rome in order to allow some of the younger players and prospects a chance at a roster spot. I also would not be unhappy to see Ehrhoff, Alberts, Glass or Tambellini allowed to find a new team if they can get a better deal there. I definately don't feel Ehrhoff brings any more value to our team then about $4 million or less. I also wouldn't offer Torres more than $1.25 million for one year either. If he wants or can get more then let him walk.

I would re-sign Bieksa, Higgins, Lapierre, Oreskovich and Hansen. I'd also offer Salo a $1 to $1.5 million one year contract. To those I would want Gillis to add one if not two gritty, physical players to the line-up. My very first choice, though highlly unlikely would be Byfuglien from Winnipeg. You asked who I would team Ballard up with. That is who.

If not Byfuglien I would like Gillis to either acquire Dustin Penner or Dustin Brown from LA or acquire one of Roman Josi, Jonathan Blum, Cody Franson or Teemu Laakso from Nashville. If we could get a defenseman and a forward all the better, but if not a single trade for one of those players should be enough.

Your trade suggestions and team changes are meant to improve the offense and goal scoring on the Canucks. Nothing wrong in improving goal production but Vancouver has been one of the highest scoring teams in the league for a number of years now. Improving on our offense would be nice but not a priority seeing we already out score our opposition.

My trade suggestions and team changes are meant to address team offense against teams that rely on some aspect of defense or physical intimidation. Instead of skilled offensive players to play with Kesler, I'm okay with the goal scorers we have, but I want to either see our defense even stronger or add some muscle and physical intimidation to our forward lines.

Shirokov/Sweatt

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Ehrhoff/Tanev
Ballard - Byfuglien
Salo/Parent

Luongo
Schnieder

Wow thank god your not Mike Gillis

Old
06-20-2011, 02:58 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman View Post

Shirokov/Sweatt

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Ehrhoff/Tanev
Ballard - Byfuglien
Salo/Parent

Luongo
Schnieder

wow yours is 100x worse then any of mine. Penner really?, Penner!

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 03:02 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadekuuro View Post
Sure he does. And I don't even think that much of Jovo.

What is it about Ehrhoff that everyone is so in love with? The huge shot that sails two feet over the net every time? I've never seen anything to suggest he's much of a defenseman. The idea of paying him $5-6 million seems crazy to me.
You either supremely overrate Jovanovski at this point or supremely underrate Ehrhoff...maybe a bit of both. Look at Jovo's numbers last year and look at Ehrhoff. Jovo sucked. Ehrhoff put up 50 points.

As for Ehrhoff's shot, it's actually just as accurate as most other d-men in the league. The only reason people give him crap over others is because his shot is so hard and it can go very wide at times but in terms of actual accuracy, it's not much different than most.

In terms of skill, especially compared to Jovo now, Ehrhoff is much more mobile with at least an equal shot overall. Jovo's defensive abilities have taken a dip and he is starting to wear down physically.

If you actually kept it in perspective and try to ignore the wow factor both positively and negatively with Ehrhoff, you'd realize he's a pretty good d-man. He'll be worth 5 mil just on points alone. There were only 9 d-men in the league last year that hit the 50 point mark and that's where he'll make his money.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 03:04 AM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
I was surprised to see penner there as well.. I mean of all players to bring in after the questionable lack of grit/heart etc... the canucks took during the final.. penner?

andora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 03:06 AM
just22
Registered *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
If you actually kept it in perspective and try to ignore the wow factor both positively and negatively with Ehrhoff, you'd realize he's a pretty good d-man. He'll be worth 5 mil just on points alone. There were only 9 d-men in the league last year that hit the 50 point mark and that's where he'll make his money.
it seems people underestimate the importance of a good puck moving defenseman

just22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 03:09 AM
Canuckfan4Life2

Quote:
Originally Posted by just22 View Post
Some people do but alot don't Hoff is a must re-sign for Mike Gillis

Old
06-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Canuckfan4Life2

Does anyone think Joel Ward could be a possibilty

Old
06-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Cowen2

why don't we chase after Shea Weber

Cowen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:51 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by just22 View Post
Agreed and he is an important part of any pp(ours)....and maybe even more important is his entrance into the offensive zone.......missed a healthy Ehrhoff in the finals just for the PP and his shot

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:52 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowen2 View Post
why don't we chase after Shea Weber
staying in nashville for about 6yrs then will be avaliable if Nashville cant get to the cup final....plus he isnt a fan of the Van media/fans not crazy about the fame part ie no privacy thing.....

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote