HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

What The CHL Really Needs ... TSN

Old
06-03-2011, 11:06 PM
dereksutton9

vCash: 500
What The CHL Really Needs ... TSN

With absolutely nothing else on, I ended up watching the NHL combine show on TSN. Not very proud of myself during the broadcast, it did become very clear to me that there is a mutually beneficial partnership that needs to happen between the CHL and TSN.

So here's why I think each entity needs the other.

Why TSN needs the CHL:

1. Wouldn't CHL broadcasts perfectly supplement all the non-NHL game programming TSN shoves down our throats? Watching the combine show, splicing in CHL game footage and regular TSN CHL TV analysts would make draft reporting more authentic right? It would definitely enhance TSN's draft coverage.

2. Along the same lines of supplementing an asset, CHL programming would compliment the WJC perfectly. Beyond the monitoring of WJC hopefulls in CHL games prior to the tournament, how about TSN having Subway Series broadcast rights? Perfect marriage? I'd say so. This is especially true with the U-18 tournament.

3. Wouldn't showing CHL content also help make sense of showing the Telus Cup? "We saw young such and such blossom in last year's Telus Cup and now he's running rough shod over the WHL!"

4. TSN is basically copying the ESPN model of centering everything around one sport. ESPN spends every waking moment around the NFL from having it on SC at least every 15 min in some form, doing draft coverage or producing new NFL Live shows during the summer. Heck ESPN does a 2 hr NFL schedule release special! ESPN uses NCAA football College Gameday to help reinforce the shoving of football in your face. TSN could substitute the CHL for NCAAF in shoving the NHL in your face. You know you'd like it!

5. Along the same line as the last point, CHL games and programming would certainly fill out the TSN2 and Classic schedule. Do you really need Hockey2Nite with That's Hockey? Overkill?

6. Sending Pierre Maguirre from Shawinigan to Moose Jaw would keep him away more from NHL telecasts and that's only good right?

7. As inept as Sportsnet was with its Memorial Cup coverage, ratings were up this year. What would the minds and talent at TSN get out of the product?

Why the CHL needs TSN:

1. This year's Memorial Cup was absolutely terrible by Sportsnet with the words "bush league" the only proper words to label the effort. It's bad enough having that garbage Sportsnet wannabe NHL pre-game show for HNIC broadcasts work Saturday nights but having those 3rd rate clowns work the Memorial Cup was outright comical. From Doug MacLean's mic not working for a full minute in the tournament opener and letting him speak in silence for that whole period to that James Duthie clone dweeb calling the CHL's crown jewel event a "tournament of DIVISION champions and the host", the CHL should really be wondering about the quality of production at Sportsnet. Of course my favourite flub was the genius Kypreos calling the tournament's eventual MVP "Who-ba-doo" in the 2nd game. Good prep work Nick. You should probably head to the quiet room now.

2. Sportsnet doesn't have a clue how to promote the CHL. As noted, TSN has Hockey2Nite and That's Hockey to promo the NHL every night. For goodness sake the Score has a couple of magazine shows during the week to supplement WWE programming! For the CHL, Sportsnet has nothing. Don't you think a 30 minute weekly show on the three leagues would help keep interests over the year instead of trying to have viewers learn crash course about a league's champ and the host at the Memorial Cup or trying to explain who players are at Subway Series games?

3. The regional broadcasts of the leagues is really stupid by Sportsnet. Again there's the inability to connect the dots and enhance Memorial Cup coverage. Maybe seeing Saint John earlier in the year may have had more people interested in seeing them live in Mississauga? I know I would liked to have seen Portland play.

4. Similarly, why doesn't Sportsnet show games from each league's playoffs? Again wouldn't following at least league finals had helped teams recognize players going into the Memorial Cup?

5. Why does the CHL allow Sportsnet to pick their broadcast schedule so early in the year and not flex? Better yet, why does Sportsnet do that? For instance there was a Guelph/Soo game in March this year that really made no sense and if you had a flex schedule, you could have changed that.

6. TSN2 would be a perfect platform for the CHL to grab new fans. As much as TSN could use the hockey content, the CHL could be a focus on that channel and get the type of attention to grow.

7. World Junior Hockey Championships ... Look what TSN was able to do with that in 20 years. Enough said. Instead of putting your crown jewel event in a large but undeserving and uninterested location, television is the true means of gaining people's subconscience.

The CHL is a great product. There's a genuineness and effort in the players that's hard to overlook. Plus you do truly get to see tomorrow's stars today. Sportsnet has shown they are not capable of doing any event justice or growing anything (see Blue Jays). On the other hand, TSN has shown the way it can build a following with the WJC tournament year after year.

David Branch ... You need TSN if you really want to take the league to the next level. TSN needs you just as much but doesn't know it. Make it happen.

dereksutton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 07:08 AM
johnnydrum

Firstly, that was a really interesting post.
I have been following the CHL from afar this year (Im in the UK) and as great as its been tuning into the teams radio feeds via the net, it was jolly frustrating not to be able to see the games..(although there are some great folks on here that have been so kind)
I used to visit TSN.ca often to read up on the NHL, but stopped due to its constant Sidney Crosby obsession, which gushed into its programming.
Games that didnt even feature the Penguins, would often have a token Crosby refferance/theme "manipulated" into them....lol
Recentely I even saw a poll "After Crosby..who is the NHLs second best player"...lol.
I know TSN is Canadian, and Crosby is a truly, marvelous player, but Im sure that perhaps fans of Ryan Kesler, for example, would dispute that EVERYONE belives Sid is "the best"--its very school yard.
What was even odder, is that this poll was put up, four months since Sid played.
Do you know what I mean?
I think TSN is great, if only they could acknowledge that there are "other" players too.

Secondly, love the avatar....I was a big Sutton fan until that awfull night in Thunder Bay.
Those type of cheap shots, by Rakki, need to be cut out of the game...!

johnnydrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 07:45 AM
JL17

I would prefer it on TSN.

After watching Sportsnet panel fumble through the Memorial Cup and see how Gord, Pierre, McKenzie and a couple other understand and watch junior hockey goes a long way from me.

I'd love to see it happen. It would be great on Sundays considering there is limited hockey on in the NHL. They also deal with the IIHF hockey, plus the Mac's, Telus, Allan Cups etc anyways...

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 07:59 AM
jughead42

I'd go along with this simply because I never bothered adding SNO to my cable package but I have TSN. It would work on TSN but only if they were able to give it the attention it deserves. The WJC work on TSN because they use their top broadcasters to cover it like a main event, so the CHL coverage would have to be the same. If its Dave Randorf calling the games by himself from a remote station then its probably better left to Sportsnet, but if they use their guys like Pierre and MacKenzie to cover the league it would be sweet.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 12:31 PM
dereksutton9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
I'd go along with this simply because I never bothered adding SNO to my cable package but I have TSN. It would work on TSN but only if they were able to give it the attention it deserves. The WJC work on TSN because they use their top broadcasters to cover it like a main event, so the CHL coverage would have to be the same. If its Dave Randorf calling the games by himself from a remote station then its probably better left to Sportsnet, but if they use their guys like Pierre and MacKenzie to cover the league it would be sweet.
Excellent point about the availability of Sportsnet. TSN is a basic cable standard so yet another reason for the CHL to want this.

I would think TSN would give it the proper attention once they see the value stream involved. I mean they already milk the WJC like there's no tomorrow in angling into it's NHL work. The CHL rights would do that for the NHL and protect the WJC.

Speaking of commentators, if TSN meant no Peter Loubardias, that would be as big of a reason as anything for me to want the TV move. His voice just irritates me like no other. How do you have a low, whiny voice? It seems like a contradiction. At least he seems to be passionate in doing the CHL so that's a plus. Maybe if he just typed closed captioning ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydrum
I think TSN is great, if only they could acknowledge that there are "other" players too.
TSN loves to smelt golden calves. I'm still convinced the WJC coverage started with the Lindros hype. TSN was all over that and has since created false idols in Bouwmeester, Spezza, Crosby, Tavares, Ellis, Eberle, Seguin and Hall. I still don't think Seguin was worthy of top pick debate. The franchise center stuff really cracked me up because Seguin only played ONE season of center in the OHL!

Regardless, these players did produce at some level (well maybe not Bouwmeester ... Never been to the playoffs in any league? Really?) but the superlatives laden and the coverage have been almost vomit inducing and I'm a fan of many of them!

Note this is also another reason for the CHL to want TSN. There are those who will pray (or is it pay) to false idols.

So it's bad when the kids are kids but you can only assume that TSN loves to promote the players further after they have been confirmed! Thus we have your point about Sid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydrum
The steel plate in my head is a pain going through airports. I've felt the aggressive carress of too many rubber gloves since that fateful evening thanks to metal detectors going off everywhere. Where was David Branch on that ugly incident???

Old
06-04-2011, 01:08 PM
FlyingPenguin

The issue, I'd think, is that the CHL needs TSN far more than TSN needs the CHL - The CHL just supplements coverage that exists (Telus Cup, WJC, NHL, etc.) already on TSN. For the CHL though, getting mainstream TV coverage would be huge - especially if they could get Duthie, McGuire, etc. to work it.

I agree that the CHL needs to try and get on TSN, but I'm curious: how often during the regular season is there a CHL game being played but no NHL games (or other premier sporting events)? I'm guessing not too often - and it'd probably be a hard sell for TSN to show CHL hockey over NHL hockey, even if it's London/Kitchener and Florida/Phoenix.

FlyingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Shootmaster_44

TSN used to cover the CHL in the early 90s. They would have a game of the week and cover the Memorial Cup. But TSN scaled back coverage of it to the point where I believe the Memorial Cup was the only CHL coverage it gave. When Sportsnet came on, the CHL saw this as an opportunity to feature itself better, so they jumped.

Now, as far as I understand it the problem with this is the CHL broadcast rights aren't owned by the CHL. The only events the CHL itself holds the broadcast rights to are the Subway Series and the Memorial Cup. The rest of the season is owned by each of the three leagues. I believe the OHL is quite happy with their NHL Centre Ice style package on Rogers Cable. The WHL, must be happy with being on Shaw TV, with their weekly regular season game and them covering one entire playoff series per round. I think the Q is the only league that doesn't have significant TV coverage, however I would imagine this will change this fall when TVA Sports launches.

The other thing is when would TSN fit in CHL coverage? It shows a NHL game nearly every night during the regular season. TSN2 seems to have a NBA game most nights too. During the playoffs, the NHL is on nearly every night and off-nights see the NBA, MLS and MLB. Add in the once a year competitions like the Brier, Tournament of Hearts, World Juniors, World Championships and golf and tennis and you have little to no room for the CHL.

As an aside, the only reason TSN carries the Telus Cup is because Hockey Canada mandates them to. The CHL is not covered by Hockey Canada, so broadcast rights are separate. However, all other minor hockey is covered by Hockey Canada. So I believe TSN wanted the World Juniors and World Championship broadcast rights. Hockey Canada said sure, but you must also air the Telus Cup final, Allan Cup final, Royal Bank Cup final and the Esso Women's final. So really, I doubt TSN would really care about relating Telus Cup experience with CHL experience.

I would love to see more WHL coverage on TV. But realistically, I don't know where it would fit. The Score would be the best option as far as programming goes, but they don't have the budget to produce their own live events. So I think this is the best it is going to get for the WHL.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Dutch

Why TSN doesn't need the CHL: Because the NFL on sunday nights will get them way better ratings than the CHL, and it will cost them way less. They just by the image from NBC and it's done. No need to pay for the production of a CHL game.

As for Quebec, the TV rights are owned by TelusTV, which isn't available to 85% of the province. So the only way to get the CHL games is by paying a season pass and watching it over the internet in crappy quality.

I'm pretty sure TVA Sports will step in to take the rights from the Q when the Telus deal runs out, but I believe that's in only one or two year. VOX, videotron's public television, already has a game of the week each fridays.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 10:12 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Why TSN doesn't need the CHL: Because the NFL on sunday nights will get them way better ratings than the CHL, and it will cost them way less. They just by the image from NBC and it's done. No need to pay for the production of a CHL game.

As for Quebec, the TV rights are owned by TelusTV, which isn't available to 85% of the province. So the only way to get the CHL games is by paying a season pass and watching it over the internet in crappy quality.

I'm pretty sure TVA Sports will step in to take the rights from the Q when the Telus deal runs out, but I believe that's in only one or two year. VOX, videotron's public television, already has a game of the week each fridays.
No its not the simple tsn can't just take a feed from nbc they have to work out a deal with the nfl and nbc no i know they did agree to a new deal i think last year or the year after i am not sure how long that deal is.As for it would cost alot less not really true i am not sure about the money but i can't see the nfl deal beeing cheap while a chl deal i could see costing between $10-20 million for a 2 year deal.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
No its not the simple tsn can't just take a feed from nbc they have to work out a deal with the nfl and nbc no i know they did agree to a new deal i think last year or the year after i am not sure how long that deal is.As for it would cost alot less not really true i am not sure about the money but i can't see the nfl deal beeing cheap while a chl deal i could see costing between $10-20 million for a 2 year deal.
It does mean that TSN only has retransmit NBC's broadcast and insert their own commercials. That way it does allow TSN to reallocate people/production trucks etc. to other events. If TSN (or TSN2) were to start airing CHL games it means driving equipment and crews to, 9 times out of 10, an area that does allow for easy access to get the crews to the next event. So it means TSN would be short broadcast vehicles for an event on Monday or Tuesday.

Plus, I'm not sure ad revenues from a CHL game would recoup the financial costs of doing a game. In addition, would TSN, really want to compete with itself? Let's say Halifax was playing Gatineau on TSN2 and was up against a Cowboys/Patriots game on TSN. Would TSN really risk losing a good portion of the Ottawa region and Halifax region to a CHL game?

If anything the best option for the CHL on TSN would be an afternoon game. But, I doubt the CHL would move from a channel that has been a welcome home to them.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
The problem is that the CHL isn't really a national league no matter what we are led to believe.

The CHL is really 3 regional leagues (WHL, OHL, QMJHL). With 56 teams in the country (or whatever the number is now) and it's impossible for the average fan to follow the goings on of most teams.

What incentive does the average fan in Halifax has of watching Vancouver play Red Deer or Halifax play Cape Breton.

As a hardcore fan, I enjoy watching anybody play anybody in the CHL but i don't think there are as many people like me out there to make it as successful as the World Jrs. for example.

I always wondered if the CHL would be better off splitting into two tiers. There's always a huge line between the big market teams (who always get the better players) and the small market teams who can barely survive year to year. Might be interesting to group the traditionally better teams in one league and the traditionally weaker teams in another.

I think if the CHL had a tier that's more of a National League where teams travel all over the country you would have TSN beating down the CHL's door wanting a piece of that action.

It would be an easy sell if all the teams travel coast to coast. Fans from all regions would have more interest in Vancouver vs. Ottawa or London vs. Halifax rather than Montreal vs. Rimouski.

Obviously this would never happen. The CHL would never hurt half of its membership to create some sort of national junior super league. However, i don't think TSN would be interested in small potatos.

Last edited by Fixed to Ruin: 06-10-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Rocko604

^^ Above post sums it up for me. The leagues are too regionalized to have a national audienece. I'd also bet dollars to donughts that TSN would show OHL the majority of the time.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:49 PM
dereksutton9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
This is absolutely true but I doubt any TSN programming executive would ever put anything against the NFL, even the NHL, so I don't think it's a reason against TSN pursuing the CHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604
The leagues are too regionalized to have a national audienece. I'd also bet dollars to donughts that TSN would show OHL the majority of the time.
True but that doesn't seem to stop ESPN with their NCAA coverage of football and basketball. You can't say Miami of Ohio or Butler have a national alumni presence to justify national coverage.

Again the value for TSN is in having vertical integration between products. Let's use the Taylor Hall example. As TSN, you could say you were on the bandwagon at the U-18 WJC when Canada won gold in 2008. Then you could use Hall for the odd regular season match up the next year with say London and Tavares (note the game where Hall obliterated Tavares would have been good fodder for a few months). You march through the playoffs and show an OHL Final game in 2009 against Duchene and Hodgson and you again use Hall as a headliner in the Memorial Cup during the historic comeback. 2010 you would enhance your WJC coverage and then again follow the potential top pick against Tyler in the regular season and the march towards a repeat. This all leads to TSN's draft coverage. Perhaps you do an Oil Change like documentary series with Hall as well. Finally this leads to your first EDM broadcast during the NHL regular season. All this time you have footage and authority to say, "We know Taylor Hall."

ESPN's NCAA coverage is the model. ESPN shows MAC football games on Tues to Thurs nights before the NFL schedule moves to Thurs. They use the deuce for basketball games. All of this helps give coverage to each sport which eventually drives interest into the junior and senior leagues.

Again the going in assumption by TSN would be that they are acquiring a work-in-progress product and not a finished one. With such, they would need to nuture it and protect it initially so you'd use TSN2 and perhaps only pick up a regular weekly game starting in the new year after the trading deadlines have passed. Picking a unique night/timeslot would be key. Sunday afternoons after football season are pretty dead so even time on the main channel could work.

One of the biggest things they would need to do to nuture the CHL broadcasts would be to keep it in viewers mind, whether they want it or not, during non-broadcast times. An hour magazine show on the main channel could focus on updates for each league and profile draft prospects. You could supplement that with say a five minute segment a few times a week on That's Hockey with excerpts from already produced magazine show.

As for costs, why couldn't TSN try to work out purchasing games from local TV broadcasters?

Unlike the last go around, the CHL is putting out elite talent. Instead of 3rd and 4th rounders, the CHL seems to be dominating the top ten of the draft. That type of star power would certainly help with programming.

Finally, is it really hard to imagine the Memorial Cup reaching NCAA basketball tournament status in Canada? Even if it is at a tenth of the success, that's serious business. The NCAA tournament involves a lot of schools you've never heard of but care about for about three weeks. The NCAA didn't start as a monster. Keen and nutured development got it to where it is.

Old
06-17-2011, 12:55 AM
DoyleG
Mr. Reality

TSN won't pursue the CHL since there's no value for them to have it on the network in the first place.

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

tl;dr

I would love it if TSN carried the CHL. 1 game from each league per month.

Charlie Milles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:07 PM
everett331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Milles View Post
tl;dr

I would love it if TSN carried the CHL. 1 game from each league per month.
If there was any money in it they would do it but most people follow there teams locally so you will probally never see it or you would only see the major markets. I personally would love to watch more hockey then poker shows or documentaries on people that I don't really care about.

everett331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by everett331 View Post
If there was any money in it they would do it but most people follow there teams locally so you will probally never see it or you would only see the major markets. I personally would love to watch more hockey then poker shows or documentaries on people that I don't really care about.
The thing with that, though, is people in junior markets, who follow their teams, don't really get a chance to see other teams play each other. For instance, I'd have to drive 2 hours to see two teams, other than the Mooseheads, play each other. I think it gets your more involved in the league if you experience two teams, other than your own, play. But the rating might be crap. I'm sure TSN has seen SNET's rating for it and if they were good, TSN would have considered it already.

Charlie Milles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Another thing to consider is the rinks.

I'm more familiar with the Q. So I'll use these examples.

Halifax, Moncton, Quebec City are great for TV. However some of the smaller rinks cause a major problem for TV.

Yes you can wait for the smaller teams to make their way to one of the big rinks that is more suited for TV. But its just another barrier to work through from TSN point of view.

I remember watching a Moncton Wildcats playoff game on TV that got moved to the University of Moncton rink because of a trade show at the Coliseum. The game was almost unwatchable because there were posts in the way and the camera was too close to the ice.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:39 AM
dereksutton9

Being in that sports watching lull known as summer, I do watch a few more fringe sports like MLB, F1 and the CFL. Much like the CHL and NHL, the CFL has a "big brother" behemoth always looming although the NFL is the king of the mountain in spectator sports. There is concurrency in seasons in the fall and TSN does have to manage coverage of both. The CFL is regional for the most part and definitely has a bunch of athletes that most people don't know by name at all. It also struggles to capture the imagination of the GTA.

But with all it's flaws, TSN is forcing it down your throats. Yes they are taking advantage of the summer lull but they are still showing the CFL over say owning the Blue Jays broadcast rights. My point is if TSN wants to create interest, they can do it and the CFL has no ties to the NFL. At least with the CHL, there are ways of linking coverage back to current TSN money makers in the WJC and NHL.

I noticed the Score is showing Copa America games and it appears they have announcers voicing over live video since I'm assuming the original feed is not in English. This could be a method for TSN to keep costs down in CHL coverage if that's a real problem.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:44 AM
dereksutton9

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
However some of the smaller rinks cause a major problem for TV.
Valid point but I think its pretty easy to deal with. Smaller rinks that cannot allow for a quality broadcast will simply not get the privilege. Again I'm not suggesting TSN will broadcast every CHL game and that every team has to be shown on any of TSN's channels. Its not like Sportsnet does that now and I'd expect any national model for broadcasting CHL games would take into account the talent of teams involved, probable broadcast market and quality of broadcast. If you have a small rink that houses a great star laiden team, TSN would just wait untill that team is on the road at a good broadcast rink.

Old
07-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksutton9 View Post
Being in that sports watching lull known as summer, I do watch a few more fringe sports like MLB, F1 and the CFL. Much like the CHL and NHL, the CFL has a "big brother" behemoth always looming although the NFL is the king of the mountain in spectator sports. There is concurrency in seasons in the fall and TSN does have to manage coverage of both. The CFL is regional for the most part and definitely has a bunch of athletes that most people don't know by name at all. It also struggles to capture the imagination of the GTA.

But with all it's flaws, TSN is forcing it down your throats. Yes they are taking advantage of the summer lull but they are still showing the CFL over say owning the Blue Jays broadcast rights. My point is if TSN wants to create interest, they can do it and the CFL has no ties to the NFL. At least with the CHL, there are ways of linking coverage back to current TSN money makers in the WJC and NHL.

I noticed the Score is showing Copa America games and it appears they have announcers voicing over live video since I'm assuming the original feed is not in English. This could be a method for TSN to keep costs down in CHL coverage if that's a real problem.
I understand where you are coming from on the CFL issue. However, CFL teams are only located in big markets. Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal, Hamilton.

When TSN shows the Blue Bombers vs. the Tiger Cats. They know they get two major markets for ad revenue as well as all the casual fans watching all over the country.

What if Prince George plays Swift Current. Even if they are #1 and #2 in the WHL what are the ratings and revenue going to be for a game that in most cases only a small fragment of the potential audience is interested in watching.

If TSN only focus on the big market teams, why should anyone care about the other 40 teams in the smaller cities across the league.

If the big market teams get more exposure (more than they already do) we will see more and more top prospect force their way onto these teams. We don't see this too often in the OHL and WHL but this problem is huge in the Q.

I think the only way you get TV really interested in the CHL is with a smaller national league in bigger markets with better players.

Old
08-09-2011, 10:06 AM
dereksutton9

Couldn't help to rehash this thread after this weekend's showing of the Mentorship Cup game. Other than summer and a lack of programming, I don't really understand the point of showing that game without having the CHL broadcast package. Even if there are breakout performances, how do you capitalize on that game with no CHL games? The Mentorship Cup is a very natural companion to CHL coverage and the WJC eventually. As is, not sure what TSN had to gain.

Old
08-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Cornwall OHL
That's my O face.

I think that the CHL could be a viable option for a sports network to show in Canada. It fills in nights that are lighter. THe WJC draws huge tv numbers in Canada, so why wouldn't the CHL, where almost all of the players come from do relatively well. I mean more hockey must draw better number than poker or basketball. I know that cable in Ontario has the OHL Action Pack, but what about those of us that have satellite. I feel robbed that I can't watch CHL hockey.

Cornwall OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 12:54 AM
Coramoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydrum View Post
Firstly, that was a really interesting post.
I have been following the CHL from afar this year (Im in the UK) and as great as its been tuning into the teams radio feeds via the net, it was jolly frustrating not to be able to see the games..(although there are some great folks on here that have been so kind)
I used to visit TSN.ca often to read up on the NHL, but stopped due to its constant Sidney Crosby obsession, which gushed into its programming.
Games that didnt even feature the Penguins, would often have a token Crosby refferance/theme "manipulated" into them....lol
Recentely I even saw a poll "After Crosby..who is the NHLs second best player"...lol.
I know TSN is Canadian, and Crosby is a truly, marvelous player, but Im sure that perhaps fans of Ryan Kesler, for example, would dispute that EVERYONE belives Sid is "the best"--its very school yard.
What was even odder, is that this poll was put up, four months since Sid played.
Do you know what I mean?

Secondly, love the avatar....I was a big Sutton fan until that awfull night in Thunder Bay.
just want to point out you can make debates between crosby ovechkin malkin, and maybe in a few years stamkos, but kesler seriously... his highest point total is 75, i doubt anyone could credibly claim that kesler is a better player then crosby

Coramoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 03:39 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
I understand where you are coming from on the CFL issue. However, CFL teams are only located in big markets. Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal, Hamilton.

When TSN shows the Blue Bombers vs. the Tiger Cats. They know they get two major markets for ad revenue as well as all the casual fans watching all over the country.

What if Prince George plays Swift Current. Even if they are #1 and #2 in the WHL what are the ratings and revenue going to be for a game that in most cases only a small fragment of the potential audience is interested in watching.

If TSN only focus on the big market teams, why should anyone care about the other 40 teams in the smaller cities across the league.

If the big market teams get more exposure (more than they already do) we will see more and more top prospect force their way onto these teams. We don't see this too often in the OHL and WHL but this problem is huge in the Q.

I think the only way you get TV really interested in the CHL is with a smaller national league in bigger markets with better players.
I really don't know if having a smaller league with bigger markets would get people really interested in if you look around the chl most of the top support market are smaller size citys.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote