HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Dave Cameron to sign as Assistant Coach

Old
06-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Apaharn

vCash: 500
Has anyone blamed Bryan Murray yet?

Apaharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Pancakes Pancakes

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apaharn View Post
Has anyone blamed Bryan Murray yet?
WTF? Blame him for what exactly? **** this fan base is generally retarded. You'd think we just hired jack the ripper. Give the guy a freggin chance, no one here knows exactly how this went down, he may have been the best interview for Maclean, the negativity and assumptions need to stop.

Pancakes Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 08:47 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Here's hoping having a head coach that knows how to win the big games, and an assistant coach that knows how to lose them...pays dividends.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 08:50 PM
sens83

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes Pancakes View Post
WTF? Blame him for what exactly? **** this fan base is generally retarded. You'd think we just hired jack the ripper. Give the guy a freggin chance, no one here knows exactly how this went down, he may have been the best interview for Maclean, the negativity and assumptions need to stop.
Hello? Three years, Binghamton, head coach. He was practically ran out of the BCVMA with pitch forks!! He had his chance in this organization. He was fired!!

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Afro Thunder*

You are over analyzing it, just calm down.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Julez1212

Everyone just calm down. PM is our head coach, DC is just an assistant. No one knows for certain if PM really did like DC as a candidate or this is Euge's doing. BMurr said he would let PM have free reign over his hires.
He has not done anything at the NHL level and he should not be roasted yet. Main thing is PM is leading the team and DC is just ONE of his assistant. When PM said himself that it is very important to him he finds quality assistant coaches I am sure he would not hire/work with someone just because Euge said it should be done.

Julez1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

I love how people around here think it's worse that someone gets to the final game only to lose as opposed to just never getting there in the first place. I don't know a whole lot about coaching, but I figure a team choking in a game 7/championship game has more to do with the players just not executing as opposed to the coach being so horrible that he loses the game for them. Really, people hate Cameron because of two (2) games. Oh no, he pulled the goalie at the wrong time! Tough crowd.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 09:29 PM
ShotDownCrosby

I'm glad DC isn't our head coach. But as an assisstent, I want to see what he does before we go thinking he will bring out team down. I'll give him a chance, see what he does... and what PM can do with him! Def. excited to see what happens next year! Can't it be next season already!?!?!

ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 09:48 PM
porknbeans

The Nepotism in this organization's management structure since Melnyk took over pisses me off. Anyone really surprised the years of mediocrity that has resulted since 2007?

porknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Uncle Eugene
Buckle up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens83 View Post
Hello? Three years, Binghamton, head coach. He was practically ran out of the BCVMA with pitch forks!! He had his chance in this organization. He was fired!!
No he wasn't.

The Euge asked him to coach his junior team under the promise that if an NHL opportunity presented itself he would be able to go for it.

Uncle Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:08 PM
DrEasy
Get well soon, BM!

vCash: 840
If DC is so good, with all the other coaching position openings you'd figure he'd be hired elsewhere by now. As someone else said, if the guy has any pride he shouldn't accept the position because of the optics.

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Coco the Monkey*
T-Bone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEasy View Post
If DC is so good, with all the other coaching position openings you'd figure he'd be hired elsewhere by now. As someone else said, if the guy has any pride he shouldn't accept the position because of the optics.
LOL put yourself in his shoes> You gonna turn down NHL assistant coach $$ and a chance to be in the BEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD, or would you rather keep plugging away in the OHL for the rest of your career?

Coco the Monkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:46 PM
DefenseMinister

It would at least look a little better if Cameron had been courted by any other NHL organization besides ours. How great of a coaching prospect is he if the only team that wants anything to do with him is the Sens?

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:53 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseMinister View Post
It would at least look a little better if Cameron had been courted by any other NHL organization besides ours. How great of a coaching prospect is he if the only team that wants anything to do with him is the Sens?
WOW he is the assistant coach.

ppl need to calm their you know what down.

Stop acting like this guy is the head coach of our team

and please do tell me who "other teams" are interviewing for assistant coach positions ... oh right you don't know

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
WOW he is the assistant coach.

ppl need to calm their you know what down.

Stop acting like this guy is the head coach of our team

and please do tell me who "other teams" are interviewing for assistant coach positions ... oh right you don't know
assistant coaches usually have big roles especially when the HC is in his first year of coaching as a HC in the NHL.

Eugene Melnyk is cause for concern at this point.
The other concern is, why is Cameron talking about his job in ottawa when it hasn't been announced yet?

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:06 PM
DefenseMinister

I don't normally care about Assistant coaches but this one is troublesome because typically, asst coaches have worked closely with the head coach previously and have a good relationship which is why they tend to bring them along from team to team. Obviously, this is not the case here. So either one of the biggest coincidences in the world took place and Maclean just happened to be enamoured with the same guy the owner has been pimping publicly or Maclean was told as a condition of his hire that he only got to choose one of his assistants because the other one was spoken for.

And even that's not the end of the world and has happened in other organizations regularly. But Cameron doesn't really seem like the assistant coach type, he's not player friendly and he's not a recent former player that can relate to the guys on the team like assistants are supposed to (playing briefly in the league a decade ago for an unmemorable cup of coffee doesn't count).

So he's not really "assistant coach" demeanour and has absolutely no connection to the head coach. Why the hell is he there? Basically, because Melnyk's giving him the payback for him supposedly putting his bound for glory coaching career on hold in order to coach St. Mike's. Maybe he'll fit in just fine but it's a completely unnecessary hire that could end up being a square peg in a round hole type of situation.

I also really like to hear that Cameron can't believe that no one to this point has recognized his genius yet and it's taken him 10 years to get an NHL job. This guy can't open his mouth without continually sounding like an arrogrant *****.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:12 PM
Coco the Monkey*
T-Bone!

I'm sorry but do people not pay attention to past assistant coaches? Greg Carvel was not picked by Cory Clouston, nor was he picked by Hartsburg, nor was he picked by Paddock. Usually the Head Coach gets 1 out of the 2 picks.

Secondly, shut the **** up and wait until they announce it. Paul MacLean probably wanted Cameron working with him, you have no idea whether he did or not. Until he talks about it, shut the **** up.

Coco the Monkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:13 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens83 View Post
I think we can all agree that Muckler was the one that messed up Bingo. He left the cupboards so unbelievably bare there that there can be no surprise that Cameron got fired. Different staff, different time IMO. When the lockout was over and the mass exodus of talent left Bingo for the NHL is when the wins started going down. Am I wrong?

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:18 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

It'll be interesting if the Cameron-Daugavins connection appears in training camp.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:49 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
It'll be interesting if the Cameron-Daugavins connection appears in training camp.
Let's hope so. Daugavins deserves a shot to make the team.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 01:17 AM
ShotDownCrosby

Sorry, but again I think people need to calm down.

What if PM and DC have a great connection together, and work really well together --- and next year they do great?

Not a single person can predict that.

I'll save my judgements for later in the year. If things don't work out, well that sucks -- but they very well could be just dandy!

ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 07:29 AM
sens83

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
I think we can all agree that Muckler was the one that messed up Bingo. He left the cupboards so unbelievably bare there that there can be no surprise that Cameron got fired. Different staff, different time IMO. When the lockout was over and the mass exodus of talent left Bingo for the NHL is when the wins started going down. Am I wrong?
Agreed that Muckler was to blame for SOME of the issues in Bingo. Some of Muckler's picks are actually coming together now, so I don't think you can toss all of the blame on Muckler anymore.

Dave Cameron's career at Bingo:

105-106-29

2004-05 47-21-12 0.663 Lost in round 1
2005-06 35-37-8 0.488 Out of Playoffs
2006-07 23-48-9 0.344 Out of Playoffs

He's good when he had the lockout year, that team still had no heart.

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 07:41 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans View Post
...blah blah blah Melnyk...Anyone really surprised the years of mediocrity that has resulted since 2007?
I hate this argument.
Melnyk taking over as owner has NOTHING to do with the on-ice product, save for Kovalev (allegedly). All Melnyk has done as owner of the Sens is save it from possible relocation, spend to the cap every year so far, and with the exception of drinking a bit too much before interviews and maybe putting his two cents in here and there, been a fan.

Melnyk simply took over the team as it was about to enter a downward trend, plain and simple. Bad timing. My son was born right around the time Eugene took over, and the team has been getting worse every year since then. Is my son ALSO to blame for the downturn in fortunes on this team?

Like another poster in the joke thread from yesterday, regardless of how Euge presents himself, I'll never say a bad word about the guy who came in to basically save the NHL in this city. Without him, I'd probably be a Red Wings fan right now, drowning my sorrows in a beer, watching Center Ice and reminiscing about the days when my city used to have an NHL team.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 07:50 AM
TeamRenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWP View Post
hard to believe there was no influence, but i'm with you.
As per Pierre Macguire this morning, it is very typical that the new coach gets to pick one of the assistants and the other assistant is mutually agreed upon by managemenand etc.

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 07:53 AM
TeamRenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWP View Post
assistant coaches usually have big roles especially when the HC is in his first year of coaching as a HC in the NHL.

Eugene Melnyk is cause for concern at this point.
The other concern is, why is Cameron talking about his job in ottawa when it hasn't been announced yet?
The head coach decides what the assistant coach's role will be. It is not the same with every team, there isn't a specific ob description that goes with this role.

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote