HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chicago Blackhawks 2011 draft preview

Old
06-19-2011, 11:25 AM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Chicago Blackhawks 2011 draft preview

The Chicago Blackhawks possess the 18th overall pick in the 2011 draft.

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 01:53 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
^
Dont like Jenner ,, Dont see him having alot of upside

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 03:29 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

If we're drafting off need Jenner would be a solid pick, as would Biggs, for a third line checking role. I don't think Jenner is anywhere near the BPA at #18, but I think he's more of a safe pick.

Jeremy Morin, Kyle Beach, Ludvig Rensfeldt all have top 6/9 potential on the left side, and Hossa and Kane patrol on the right. Drafting players who may be better suited for checking roles seems like a solid idea, but seeing as this could be the highest the Hawks pick in the next 4-5 years I think I'd like them to go with the BPA in their mind.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 03:38 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Quote:
Stephen Johns projects as an elite physical defenseman down the road.
That bit made me laugh. I'd much rather see Scheifele than Jenner at that pick if that's the direction they go. Puempel is still my pick if he falls that low.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
^
Dont like Jenner ,, Dont see him having alot of upside
Jenner is probably a good target if the Hawks trade down...but I agree and he's not on my list of top choices at #18.

Thanks for the article...good read.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

good read, don't agree with everything and I wouldn't pick Jenner. I would want Phillips or Jurco at #18

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 06:48 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
That bit made me laugh. I'd much rather see Scheifele than Jenner at that pick if that's the direction they go. Puempel is still my pick if he falls that low.
If the Hawks walk away with Scheifele, McNeil or Puempel... I'd consider the draft a success.

I was really intrigued by Jenner for a while, but there's certainly other centers out there with higher upside. If Scheifele, McNeil, Puempel and maybe guys like Jurco, Biggs/Armia are gone... then I'd take whichever player has the highest ceiling out of the bunch. With 3 picks in the top 50, I think we could afford to take a gamble on a boom-or-bust type prospect with #18.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 06:59 PM
Sarava

I guess Bob Murray has said the Ducks want to trade up to 17 or higher for a center. That definitely could affect who the Hawks want or is left for them at #18.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 06:17 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

we can chose the BPA. We don't need to look at the position. We just need quality now.

Old
06-21-2011, 02:09 PM
hawksfan50

BOB MCKENZIE has J.T. Miller at #18--EXACTLY my prefered pick for the Hawks...

2nd line centre solution (ETA 1-3 years away* * He already has good size 6'1.25 198) and his speed is NHL grade "A" ; I say 2 years at North Dakota OR quicker--1 year in Plymouth if he changes his mind and goes to the OHL instead) ..

A 2-way centre with terrific speed,hitting,good wall play,good puck distributor, tenacious checker,only question is goal scoring/finishing..his shot release and hardness of shotare both there in the toolset..the only quibble to his game is the in close "hands" of finishing -but he doesn't have to be the finisher on the line--he needs to control the direction of play--so that it is pretty much constantly in the opposing d-zone (our o-zone) ...Get the puck to Hossa -he is supposed tobe the finisher...PUNISH the opponentswith hits such that they fear playing against him,back up teir d--because he canblow by them with straight on break-away speed,
and justscore on the intermeiate range shots he willget off because he has the speed to get to sspot to release the shot ..If he lacks magic hands in close -ok you can't have everything -but who cares.I like all the rest of his game.

hawksfan50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Gambar
Fire Hendry

A bit ashamed to admit this, but I agree with hf50. I like everything I've read/watched concerning JT Miller.

Gambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Brad Gardner
Hockey's Future Staff

The whole mock draft, for context:
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ff_mock_draft/

McNeil, Scheifele, Biggs, Phillips were all gone.. My thinking, for what it's worth: agree that it seemed early to take Jenner, but I was leaning towards center the whole way and went with what seemed to me the next best center. You can't have too many character guys, in my opinion, even if he doesn't have the highest ceiling. I agree that the 'hawks will go BPA, but it's much less obvious who that is after the first dozen picks or so. Jurco I love as a fit for the 'Hawks, but I opted to minimize the risk at 18, knowing there were a couple other picks coming early 2nd rd.

Brad Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

If we could get Miller a few slots later I'd trade 18 to ANA for 24 and idk what else.

Gootie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:28 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

John Jaeckel just posted a mock done by "Wiz" (don't remember his actual name) who was a former Hockey'sFuture writer. Obviously it's just a mock, but it was my personal dream mock for the Hawks.

We end up with Mark Scheifele (18th), Tomas Jurco (36th) and John Gibson (43rd).

If that ended up realitiy, that would be insanely awesome.

Old
06-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Cullksinikers

I'm no draft expert, but based on what I've read on here, wouldn't Jurco at our second selection be quite a stretch?

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:41 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
I'm no draft expert, but based on what I've read on here, wouldn't Jurco at our second selection be quite a stretch?
I don't think it's likely, but I wouldn't be surprised. It's going to get really crazy after the top 10 in regards to players falling and rising.

Everyone remembers Jurco's Mem. Cup performace, but he struggled with consistency on the stacked team all season long. So is it a stretch that he falls to us? Maybe. But he's a projected late 1st rounder, so falling to the early 2nd isn't that hard to imagine.

Old
06-21-2011, 05:49 PM
Hawkster
Got Cup?

Joe Morrow or JT Miller. That's my 2 player wishlist.

Some won't want to take a Dman, but Morrow's skillset is absolutely tailormade for the Hawks style of play.

In any case, I actually think he'll be gone by #18..

Hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Cullksinikers

I hope he isn't another Rob Schremp. I don't see any of these cool stickhandling maneuvers and tricks he can do can help him on the ice. If he can shoot the puck, handle the puck normally, play well in his own end a little, and see the ice, then fine. If he struggled all year on a stacked team and had a good Memorial Cup, I wouldn't waste a first round selection on Jurco.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Hawkaholic

I like the sounds of Jenner, if they are saying that he reminds them of Kassian, but cleaner..I'm game!!

I'm all for JT Miller as well. I've been hyping him up ever since I saw him play at the U-18 tourny a couple months ago.

I don't have much interest in a flashy player like Jurco, and Phillips didn't really impress me from what I saw.

I want a big versatile forward who throws his weight around like Flick. We need more prospects like him..but with more offense.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:57 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
I take Miller, Saad, Puempel and Khokhlachev before Jenner but that's just me.

MTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 06:06 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Jurco isn't like Schremp

I want Jurco, Phillips or Miller