HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Salary Cap Limit to $64.3m - Confirmed

Old
06-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Catamarca Livin

vCash: 500
Increased cap is a good thing for the Canucks for one main reason. The Canucks have the Sedins, Kesler and Luongo signed to longterm contracts. When the cap goes up and many of your highest salaries are not moving it is an advantage. I am sure Bieksa, Salo, Hansen and Lapierre will be resigned. The most important of the rest in order, is Ehrhoff, Higgins, than Torres. Maybe we have to go higher than we want for Ehrhoff. He has an uncommon skill set, that is very important for the pp.. 5.3 is probably the starting point given Hamhuis got 4.7 with inflation it is not too much. I hope Higgins is back, think he can play any style, and played with a broken foot for over 2 rounds and still competed as hard as anyone. Torres should be offered a contract as he fills a role for the Canucks. Tanner Glass should be let go as he did not fill any role in the playoffs and is too nice to fill the role he needs to. The increased cap should be used to have 3rd line NHL players on the 4th line. A fourth line of Lapierre, Torres, Oreskovich should be the baseline going forward. No more Shaefer, Bolduc, Debiens to start the year. Even the difference between Tambellini and Asham is huge eventhough the pay difference is not 200,000. Last year many decisions were cap related hopefully this cap increase will give this team space to base roster decision on need not pay.

Catamarca Livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Brain Sergeant
Squirrel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in 94 View Post
No Richards please. Unless it's short term.
Richards is actually the exact type of linemate Kesler needs.

Brain Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:31 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Light Mosquito View Post
Richards is actually the exact type of linemate Kesler needs.
Kesler is a center, as is Richards. I know that Kesler can play the wing, but he's much more effective as a centerman in terms of his defensive responsibilities. I'd rather bring in a playmaking winger.

I wouldn't be opposed to taking a flier on Jaromir Jagr, but that doesn't look too likely at this time.

06-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

If we have the chance to add MIKE RICHARDS at the cost of Ehrhoff salary space, that's something we certainly have to look at. Richards and Kesler on the 2nd line would be just sick. Not to mention that MIKE Richards is fantastic defensively as well. He's basically another version of Kesler, just maybe not as fast although certainly not slow either. And he hits like a truck to boot, and besides the hit on Booth, isnt a dirty hitter either. They're good solid bodychecks.

We would certainly miss Ehrhoff on the PP, but having Edler and Salo on the back end for the PP is a pretty solid combo. And being able to put Richards out on the PP gives us 2 SOLID PP groups instead of one really good one and then a mix mash of guys for a second one.

I'd make a trade offer of Samuelsson, Ballard, 1st for Mike Richards. Lineup would then look like:
(EDIT: Actually already looking at this trade I doubt Philly does it due to cap reasons).

Sedin (6.1)- Sedin (6.1) - Burrows (2.0)
Raymond (2.55) - MIKE Richards (5.57) - Kesler (5.0)
Hansen (1.2) - Malholtra (2.5) - Hodgson (1.66)
Torres (1.2) - Lapierre (1.2) - Oreskovich (0.6)
UFA (0.6)

Forwards = 36.28m

Hamhuis (4.5) - Bieksa (4.50)
Edler (3.25) - Ehrhoff (4.5)
Salo (1.5) - Tanev (0.9)
Rome (0.75)

Defense = 19.9m

Luongo (5.33)
Schneider (0.90)

Goalies = 6.23m

Total = 62.16
Clearance = 1.84m (Roughly equal to a 4.5m rental at the deadline).

Last edited by Uhmkay: 06-20-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
The cap going up certainly affords us some extra flexibility, specifically as it pertains to retaining both Bieksa and Ehrhoff. Hopefully we're able to do just that.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Balls Mahoney
SAVE US SVEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Kesler is a center, as is Richards. I know that Kesler can play the wing, but he's much more effective as a centerman in terms of his defensive responsibilities. I'd rather bring in a playmaking winger.
I think you're absolutely right, I personally don't want Richards either, this team is stacked with centers. Although part of me does want to see Kesler on the wing again at some point just because his game blew up on Sundin's wing. As great as Kesler is at center, I think he would be even better offensively playing right wing. Just my opinion.

Also, I really want this team to go after Pitkanen.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Nuckles
Bim Jenning

Guys, sorry to burst your bubble, but it's extremely unlikely that the Canucks go after Richards and sign him.
There are other teams willing to offer much more money, more years, and more ice time.

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:41 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
I want to shift Kesler to the wing. IMO he isn't as good defensively as he was a few years ago. His points + former Selke nomination will win him the Selke this year though.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Guys, sorry to burst your bubble, but it's extremely unlikely that the Canucks go after Richards and sign him.
There are other teams willing to offer much more money, more years, and more ice time.
No doubt but would you (Richards) want to play those seasons on some of those teams?

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:46 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
In addition to signing Ehrhoff & Bieksa or as a plan B option? Apparently the Canes aren't re-signing him becuase he's looking for a raise on the $4.5 million on his last contract.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Tiranis

Canucks can't afford to give Pitkanen or Ehrhoff more than $5m because it puts them in a horrible position with Edler. He's already better than Ehrhoff so what will he command in 2 years when he's a UFA? $7m+? I would rather keep our salary structure and then be able to sign him for $5-5.5m on a longer term contract (like Duncan Keith or something like that).

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:52 AM
droller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
This might sound crazy, but we can SERIOUSLY take a run at richards now, if gillis wants.
Can't tell.... if.... serious

droller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Balls Mahoney
SAVE US SVEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
In addition to signing Ehrhoff & Bieksa or as a plan B option? Apparently the Canes aren't re-signing him becuase he's looking for a raise on the $4.5 million on his last contract.
Personally if I was GM, I'd let Ehrhoff walk and throw 5.5 for five years at Pitkanen. Our backend is going to go through some turnover in the next few years. Pitkanen is a legit top pairing defenseman and one of the more skilled offensive defensemen out there. He'd be a great replacement for Salo, who let's be honest is done right now.

Although there are some question marks in terms of injury concerns and character with Pitkanen.

And I'd offer Edler 5.5 for 8 years when it comes time to re-sign him.

Edler, Pitkanen, Hamhuis, Bieksa is a pretty good group to ride for the next few years.

...I still can't believe how bad Ballard flamed out here

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by droller View Post
Can't tell.... if.... serious
Why do people think the idea is so outrageous? It's a hell of a lot smarter than giving Ehrhoff $5.5m or whatever the hell he's looking for.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:53 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
I think you're absolutely right, I personally don't want Richards either, this team is stacked with centers. Although part of me does want to see Kesler on the wing again at some point just because his game blew up on Sundin's wing. As great as Kesler is at center, I think he would be even better offensively playing right wing. Just my opinion.

If we can bring in another Richards to play center, then I'd be willing to shift Kesler to the wing. But not for Brad Richards.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
NM, thought we were talking about another Richards.

Last edited by Uhmkay: 06-20-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:57 AM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Canucks can't afford to give Pitkanen or Ehrhoff more than $5m because it puts them in a horrible position with Edler. He's already better than Ehrhoff so what will he command in 2 years when he's a UFA? $7m+? I would rather keep our salary structure and then be able to sign him for $5-5.5m on a longer term contract (like Duncan Keith or something like that).
I agree. You don't want to break your internal salary structure unless it's absolutely necessary. I'd let Kevin Bieksa walk before giving him a better deal than Dan Hamhuis, for example.

As far as Brad Richards goes, the guy already has his Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe. He's in no position to take anything but the max amount possible, IMO. Winning is important but not as important when you've already won.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Nuckles
Bim Jenning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
Mike Richards is already signed according to Cap Geek. We don't have to sign him at all, and his no movement clause doesn't kick in until free agency kicks in, so trading for him at the draft might make sense.

Phili will want to not bring much cap space back however.
Half of us are talking about Brad, half are talking about Mike.

Old
06-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Mike Richards is already signed according to Cap Geek. We don't have to sign him at all, and his no movement clause doesn't kick in until free agency kicks in, so trading for him at the draft might make sense.

...Brad Richards? Sarcasm?

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:59 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:

I would absolutely love to bring in Mike Richards, and would give whatever Philly wanted for him.

Unfortunately they'll want a young, cheap top 6 forward for him and we don't have that. It looks like IF he is dealt it'll be for someone like Jakub Voracek (plus picks).

Old
06-20-2011, 12:01 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I would absolutely love to bring in Mike Richards, and would give whatever Philly wanted for him.

Unfortunately they'll want a young, cheap top 6 forward for him and we don't have that. It looks like IF he is dealt it'll be for someone like Jakub Voracek (plus picks).
Since when was Mike Richards on the trade block? If they have to free up salary, Carter would go before Richards.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:05 PM
VanEric

Philly would bury Matt Carle in the minors before trading one of their top guns, IMO.

Old
06-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Nuckles
Bim Jenning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
Since when was Mike Richards on the trade block? If they have to free up salary, Carter would go before Richards.
In the past couple of weeks, rumors have been flying around that the Flyers would prefer trading Richards over Carter. News about it was posted on the "Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk" section.
It was also rumored that Columbus offered Voracek and the 8th overall pick (and maybe something else) for Richards.
This was prior to the news about the salary cap, so they might not have to trade him.

Flyers fans have said that Richards hasn't really been a leader this past season, and players were looking towards Pronger as their leader. And Richards apparently really hates the media, which isn't a good thing for a team captain.

Old
06-20-2011, 12:17 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
There were rumblings amongst the Jeff Carter rumours that Richards perhaps could be dealt instead. I was shocked when I heard that, and still would be stunned if they moved him.

It's not likely at all, but if he were available I'd try to take a serious run at him.

Old
06-20-2011, 12:21 PM
VanEric

The way Mike Richards deals with the media as Captain is the way I imagine Ryan Kesler would if he were named Captain. Sadly 50-75% of being captain these days seems to be media relations.