HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Discussion: Stocking up the cupboard(10 picks June 24th./25th., 2011).

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-20-2011, 05:11 PM
  #101
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Registered User
 
TheLeastOfTheBunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Aulie-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Schenn
Oleskiak-Gunnarsson
/Blacker

Looks pretty solid, not that much puck movement though.
Both Blacker, Gardiner are a few years away from being regular NHLers. Not set in stone they will even be regulars (on the other hand, they might surprise us like Gunnarsson)..

From what I have read, Oleksiak is a bit of a project and will most likely spend the next 3 seasons with Northeastern University.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 05:22 PM
  #102
The Naz
With God given hands
 
The Naz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
With one of the 151, 159, 172, 189, or 202 we should draft Frankie Corrado from the Sudbury Wolves. He has some untapped offensive potential IMO, and even this season his stats are similar to those of Jesse Blacker in his draft year.

Frankie Corrado, D
6'00" 188 lbs

Regular Season:67GP 4G 26A 30Pts
Playoffs: 8GP 1G 4A 5Pts

And hopefully he can do something like this on a regular basis next season:

Not much of a 'highlight'. But he could be something.

The Naz is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 05:24 PM
  #103
The Naz
With God given hands
 
The Naz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Both Blacker, Gardiner are a few years away from being regular NHLers. Not set in stone they will even be regulars (on the other hand, they might surprise us like Gunnarsson)..

From what I have read, Oleksiak is a bit of a project and will most likely spend the next 3 seasons with Northeastern University.
He skates well already and plays very aggressive. I've hear people say he's getting sick of the unaccountable pesks in college. I guess they don't fight there.

It's really just his offensive game that needs work. His scouting reports remind me of Komisarek.

The Naz is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 05:25 PM
  #104
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 28,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Both Blacker, Gardiner are a few years away from being regular NHLers. Not set in stone they will even be regulars (on the other hand, they might surprise us like Gunnarsson)..

From what I have read, Oleksiak is a bit of a project and will most likely spend the next 3 seasons with Northeastern University.
I know, this is just what our defensive group may look like in the future. Oleskiak is similar to a poor man's Myers. And as of right now he is looking like a homeless man's Myers. But he still has tons of potential, but I'm not sure if moving up and selecting a defensive-minded Dman is a good idea, unless Burke is comfortable with the forward group available at our other picks.

Phion Keneuf is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 05:32 PM
  #105
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Cayce View Post
Not much of a 'highlight'. But he could be something.
More to show his smooth strides and willingness to carry the puck rather than an actual highlight goal.

The Podium is online now  
Old
06-20-2011, 05:36 PM
  #106
The Naz
With God given hands
 
The Naz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
I know, this is just what our defensive group may look like in the future. Oleskiak is similar to a poor man's Myers. And as of right now he is looking like a homeless man's Myers. But he still has tons of potential, but I'm not sure if moving up and selecting a defensive-minded Dman is a good idea, unless Burke is comfortable with the forward group available at our other picks.
He's nothing like Myers. He's a good skateing huge aggressive defensive Damn. More like Chara in first few years. More like Komisarek.

The Naz is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 05:57 PM
  #107
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup
 
Rockinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/06/20...hes-in-shuffle

Just food for thought..

Oleksiak would be a nice addition to our prospect pool. But I think he will go top 13-15 on Friday.
Once again i think this is how BB will go... Oleksiak will be targeted by BB

This is my personal prediction:

Gustavsson + 30 + 39 + 129 for 11th from Colorado. Picks Oleksiak.

Picks Puempel with #25

Rockinz is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 05:57 PM
  #108
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 28,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Cayce View Post
He's nothing like Myers. He's a good skateing huge aggressive defensive Damn. More like Chara in first few years. More like Komisarek.
I compare him to Myers because of his size and his above average speed. His offense is no where near Myers, but many scouts seem to believe he has untapped offensive potential.

A cross between Aulie and Myers seems like a good comparison to me imo. Currently his game resembles Aulie's more, but it may start to shift towards Myers later on.

A Komisarek comparison isn't that bad, but Komisarek handles the puck like a grenade and virtually has no offense at all.

A young Chara is another good comparison.

Phion Keneuf is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 06:01 PM
  #109
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
More to show his smooth strides and willingness to carry the puck rather than an actual highlight goal.
I have some interest in Corrado also. Produce good numbers this year for Sudbury.

__________________
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/JE_Iannicello
John-Eric Iannicello is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 06:04 PM
  #110
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 28,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
Once again i think this is how BB will go... Oleksiak will be targeted by BB

This is my personal prediction:

Gustavsson + 30 + 39 + 129 for 11th from Colorado. Picks Oleksiak.

Picks Puempel with #25
Don't think we should pick him that high. We can just move up to the 13th spot from Calgary, it would also cost less and Oleskiak will guaranteed be available. (Trust me)


I'd much rather just select a forward (McNeill, Ziba, Bartschi, Schiefle, etc.) If we move up and select Sproul, Percy, etc with the later pick.

Phion Keneuf is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 06:08 PM
  #111
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar
 
Schenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Huron County
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,626
vCash: 816
I'm not sure how I would feel if Burke moved up to pick Oleksiak. I think I'd rather have them target a forward if they moved up.

Schenn is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 06:14 PM
  #112
Mojo19
He's Big, He's Bald
 
Mojo19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,968
vCash: 500
I hope he keeps the three picks in the top 40 where they are.

Mojo19 is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 06:22 PM
  #113
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup
 
Rockinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,111
vCash: 500
This is my Final 1st round. There will be a lot of movement but if teams decide to stand pat this is my prediction based on the BPA, team needs and intangibles certain teams are looking for.

Draft Order:

1. Edmonton - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
2. Colorado - Gabriel Landeskog
3. Florida - Jonathan Huberdeau
4. New Jersey - Adam Larsson
5. New York - Sean Couturier
6. Ottawa - Ryan Strome
7. Winnipeg - Mika Zibanejad
8. Columbus - Ryan Murphy
9. Boston - Dougie Hamilton
10. Minnesota - Sven Bartschi
11. Colorado - Jamieson Oleksiak
12. Carolina - Mark McNeill
13. Calgary - Mark Scheifele
14. Dallas - Nathan Beaulieu
15. New York - Duncan Siemens
16. Buffalo - Zack Phillips
17. Montreal - Brandon Saad
18. Chicago - Tomas Jurco
19. Edmonton - Jonas Brodin
20. Phoenix - Rocco Grimaldi
21. Ottawa - Oscar Klefbom
22. Anaheim - Jonathan Miller
23. Pittsburgh - Joseph Morrow
24. Detroit - Vladislav Namestnikov
25. Toronto - Matt Puempel
26. Washington - Alex Khokhlachev
27. Tampa Bay - Ty Rattie
28. San Jose - Nicklas Jensen
29. Vancouver - Scott Mayfield
30. Toronto - Ryan Sproul

IMO there will be a lot of action though

Rockinz is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 06:44 PM
  #114
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 28,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
This is my Final 1st round. There will be a lot of movement but if teams decide to stand pat this is my prediction based on the BPA, team needs and intangibles certain teams are looking for.

Draft Order:

1. Edmonton - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
2. Colorado - Gabriel Landeskog
3. Florida - Jonathan Huberdeau
4. New Jersey - Adam Larsson
5. New York - Sean Couturier
6. Ottawa - Ryan Strome
7. Winnipeg - Mika Zibanejad
8. Columbus - Ryan Murphy
9. Boston - Dougie Hamilton
10. Minnesota - Sven Bartschi
11. Colorado - Jamieson Oleksiak
12. Carolina - Mark McNeill
13. Calgary - Mark Scheifele
14. Dallas - Nathan Beaulieu
15. New York - Duncan Siemens
16. Buffalo - Zack Phillips
17. Montreal - Brandon Saad
18. Chicago - Tomas Jurco
19. Edmonton - Jonas Brodin
20. Phoenix - Rocco Grimaldi
21. Ottawa - Oscar Klefbom
22. Anaheim - Jonathan Miller
23. Pittsburgh - Joseph Morrow
24. Detroit - Vladislav Namestnikov
25. Toronto - Matt Puempel
26. Washington - Alex Khokhlachev
27. Tampa Bay - Ty Rattie
28. San Jose - Nicklas Jensen
29. Vancouver - Scott Mayfield
30. Toronto - Ryan Sproul

IMO there will be a lot of action though
Good mock

Phion Keneuf is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 07:00 PM
  #115
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup
 
Rockinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Don't think we should pick him that high. We can just move up to the 13th spot from Calgary, it would also cost less and Oleskiak will guaranteed be available. (Trust me)


I'd much rather just select a forward (McNeill, Ziba, Bartschi, Schiefle, etc.) If we move up and select Sproul, Percy, etc with the later pick.
i'm not saying we should draft Oleksiak with 11th, im more saying that BB see's Pronger 2.0 in Oleksiak and tbh i think that gives BB a serious hard on!

Whatever happens, happens and we just need to trust our scouts and BB.

If it were up to me i would do whatever it takes to get Ryan Murphy but thats just me... Everyone has there own take on players and how they will fit an organization.

Rockinz is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 07:11 PM
  #116
All_blueandwhite
Registered User
 
All_blueandwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
This is my Final 1st round. There will be a lot of movement but if teams decide to stand pat this is my prediction based on the BPA, team needs and intangibles certain teams are looking for.

Draft Order:

1. Edmonton - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
2. Colorado - Gabriel Landeskog
3. Florida - Jonathan Huberdeau
4. New Jersey - Adam Larsson
5. New York - Sean Couturier
6. Ottawa - Ryan Strome
7. Winnipeg - Mika Zibanejad
8. Columbus - Ryan Murphy
9. Boston - Dougie Hamilton
10. Minnesota - Sven Bartschi
11. Colorado - Jamieson Oleksiak
12. Carolina - Mark McNeill
13. Calgary - Mark Scheifele
14. Dallas - Nathan Beaulieu
15. New York - Duncan Siemens
16. Buffalo - Zack Phillips
17. Montreal - Brandon Saad
18. Chicago - Tomas Jurco
19. Edmonton - Jonas Brodin
20. Phoenix - Rocco Grimaldi
21. Ottawa - Oscar Klefbom
22. Anaheim - Jonathan Miller
23. Pittsburgh - Joseph Morrow
24. Detroit - Vladislav Namestnikov
25. Toronto - Matt Puempel
26. Washington - Alex Khokhlachev
27. Tampa Bay - Ty Rattie
28. San Jose - Nicklas Jensen
29. Vancouver - Scott Mayfield
30. Toronto - Ryan Sproul

IMO there will be a lot of action though
If that's how the 1st round plays out, IMO I see Burke taking a guy like Tyler Biggs at 30 instead of Sproul. Our immediate need of size and toughness gets addressed, and Biggs is a gool ol' american kid that we all know Burke loves. That, coupled with the fact that next year is supposed to be top heavy with premier defensmen, leads me to believe that he'll lean towards the big forward.

All_blueandwhite is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 07:25 PM
  #117
KapG
Registered User
 
KapG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,292
vCash: 500
I'd like to see the LEafs draft Stefan Noesen at 25.

KapG is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 07:30 PM
  #118
Cappayne
Registered User
 
Cappayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
I'd like to see the LEafs draft Stefan Noesen at 25.
He will be there at 30, IMO.

@Rockinz

I do believe you are missing Joel Armia in your mock draft. He should be top 15, most certainly round 1, no?

Cappayne is online now  
Old
06-20-2011, 07:34 PM
  #119
DougGilmour93
Registered User
 
DougGilmour93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by All_blueandwhite View Post
If that's how the 1st round plays out, IMO I see Burke taking a guy like Tyler Biggs at 30 instead of Sproul. Our immediate need of size and toughness gets addressed, and Biggs is a gool ol' american kid that we all know Burke loves. That, coupled with the fact that next year is supposed to be top heavy with premier defensmen, leads me to believe that he'll lean towards the big forward.
I concur. Try for Sproul or Percy at 39th if we stand pat.

DougGilmour93 is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 07:34 PM
  #120
TheTruculentTML
In it to win it
 
TheTruculentTML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 388
vCash: 500
Not sure if anyone else posted this but:

SeanFitz_Gerald SeanFitz_Gerald
by MikeInBuffalo
Leafs GM Burke: "I’d say we’re not going to trade up. We’re either going to trade those picks for players, or we’re going to keep them."


So we're either getting some NHL talent or drafting from our current position come Draft day...interesting. What players could Burke be targeting and with which picks????

TheTruculentTML is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 07:41 PM
  #121
KapG
Registered User
 
KapG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappayne View Post
He will be there at 30, IMO.

@Rockinz

I do believe you are missing Joel Armia in your mock draft. He should be top 15, most certainly round 1, no?
with the way his stock has been rising I dont know. If we dont take him at 25 I sure hope you are right lol.

Perfect player for our organization and for Burke. Big talented C and he is American.

KapG is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 07:42 PM
  #122
KapG
Registered User
 
KapG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
I concur. Try for Sproul or Percy at 39th if we stand pat.
Sproul at 39 could be a steallllll.

KapG is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 07:43 PM
  #123
trellaine201
Registered User
 
trellaine201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Left coast
Posts: 6,667
vCash: 500
I want landeskog somehow

trellaine201 is online now  
Old
06-20-2011, 07:45 PM
  #124
KapG
Registered User
 
KapG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
I want landeskog somehow
You would probably be looking at trading Kadri + like 25th and perhaps more to move up into a spot to draft him.

He is NHL ready for sure. But I do not know if his top end potential justifies giving up that much. Especially when there are so many good players available in the first two rounds (not elite star potential...but lots of top 6 potential).

EDIT. Realistically I would like to see Burke perhaps move up into the 13ish range and get a guy like McNeil or Schiefele.

KapG is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 07:50 PM
  #125
DougGilmour93
Registered User
 
DougGilmour93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
You would probably be looking at trading Kadri + like 25th and perhaps more to move up into a spot to draft him.

He is NHL ready for sure. But I do not know if his top end potential justifies giving up that much. Especially when there are so many good players available in the first two rounds (not elite star potential...but lots of top 6 potential).

EDIT. Realistically I would like to see Burke perhaps move up into the 13ish range and get a guy like McNeil or Schiefele.
I'd deal Kadri + 30th for the oppurtunity to draft Landeskog.
Or
I'd deal Kadri + 39th for the oppurtunity to draft Strome.


That's just me tho.

DougGilmour93 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.