HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr interested to play in Montreal pt3

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2011, 09:43 AM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Montreal is the team he doesn't want to name. Guess why he doesn't want to name them? Just yesterday he said they were no longer interested so he doesn't want to look foolish.
I hate to say, but I doubt it. If it was Montreal, he'd say so; they've been talked about to death anyway, so it would not be a revelation. Unless Montreal's maladive but well-justified need for secrecy is driving his quiet, but I doubt it. I think the Habs may simply have decided to go in a different direction.

Old
06-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Cull909

Send a message via AIM to Cull909
Here's the thing, Jagr isn't signing for 2mill a year, and he's a band aid at best... We should instead focus on a more long term guy like Laich, not saying we can sign him, but we should focus more on a long term piece of the puzzle.

Old
06-21-2011, 09:53 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull909 View Post
Here's the thing, Jagr isn't signing for 2mill a year, and he's a band aid at best... We should instead focus on a more long term guy like Laich, not saying we can sign him, but we should focus more on a long term piece of the puzzle.
I know Laich will get 4-5 mil per unless it's a discount to sign with a big time contender or even Washington.

I'd rather we get the bandaid signed now who can still likely put up 50+ points in the NHL and then wait until a better UFA period.

Bandaids that are cheap and produce are useful. I'd rather not sign Laich out of desperation now and wait a year or even two depending on how Jagr plays in order to get somebody who is actually worth the 4-6 million spent. Somebody a tier above Laich. I'm not saying who but it would be pretty unlikely a better player wouldn't be available in the next two UFA periods. This UFA season is a very weak one.

I guarantee also that Laich on our team wouldn't even put up 2nd liner type numbers. He'd be likely on the first line and that's not his role really. People are expecting him to magically become a first line winger for us. Not going to happen, he put up those numbers on one of the best offensive teams in the NHL. We're a far more defensive type team.

Old
06-21-2011, 09:56 AM
The Goalie Mask

Jagr would be a short term solutions but a very good short term solutions.

Yes, we need a long term top 6 solution but they are not available...Jagr would also help mentor young talented forwards likes Andre,Poulliot(if we keep him),Eller & others...

Signing Jagr at $2.5 million really is a no brainer but management is really draging this out...they are foolish if they don't move on this.

Old
06-21-2011, 09:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I can think of 2 reasons the Habs may not be very interested...

1-they have a UFA target(maybe Laich) that fills a bigger need(more physical, gritty, better all around player)
2-they don't feel that Jagr adds anything they don't curretly have as most of his production would probably be on the PP.

Old
06-21-2011, 09:57 AM
AraGOHABSGO

I didn't miss the point, its just illogical to think that goals can be more improtant than assists.

It all comes down to saying, you helped your team score a goal. And I think thats the most important thing...

If you have 30 assists or 30 goals, IMO its the same...

You helped your team score 30 goals

Old
06-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
I'm not sure I want Laich. I think he will be overpaid if he's not re-signed, by quite a lot.
I don't think Habs will be pursuing the top free agents, maybe Jokinen, but otherwise I think they'll go for lower caliber free agents like Joel Ward, Upshall, Langenbrunner (devils connection), etc..If they want more aggressive players in the bottom lines, then there's plenty to choose from but our team rarely goes for that and I'm sure they feel they have enough with Moen/White. I would welcome a Rupp type though.

It'll be interesting though.

Old
06-21-2011, 10:07 AM
ymorin007*

Send a message via MSN to ymorin007*
Real_ESPNLeBrun‎ Am told Pittsburgh is interested in Jagr only if it's a very low price... My guess that means $1 million or less...

Old
06-21-2011, 10:10 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AraGOHABSGO View Post
I didn't miss the point, its just illogical to think that goals can be more improtant than assists.

It all comes down to saying, you helped your team score a goal. And I think thats the most important thing...

If you have 30 assists or 30 goals, IMO its the same...

You helped your team score 30 goals
That isn't really what he was saying proving once again that you missed the point of what he was saying. Go read his post again. He isn't saying goals are less important than assists he's saying he's basing it on not just one season but rather both players collective last few seasons. Gionta has always produced more pts a season than Kostitsyn has on average. He's referring to the points in general. You can see it clear as day by the end of his post when he says that.

He never tried to say Gionta > Zetterberg, not even close. For some reason you misunderstand what he's saying and are jumping to that conclusion but this isn't what he's saying not even in the slightest.

Old
06-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Alexander Edler*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymorin007 View Post
Real_ESPNLeBrun‎ Am told Pittsburgh is interested in Jagr only if it's a very low price... My guess that means $1 million or less...
Is this guy high all day 'er day?

Old
06-21-2011, 10:23 AM
x74Pacioretty74x

Well he's now reporting the wings offer is >then the pens offer. I really don't see how anyone can see that we still have a chance, unless more reports come out from actual reliable sources, then Jagr will not be a hab as much as the majority of us want him to be.

Old
06-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Habs 1909

Not sure if this has been mentioned but:

"Report: Jagr wants to resume NHL career with Penguins"
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369559

Old
06-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Here's the thing, Jagr isn't signing for 2mill a year, and he's a band aid at best...
From the many reports, he's opened the bid for teams at 2,5 mil. That's his demand. Instead of just trying to be the great overseer of what is true and real, why don't you inform yourself first.

Quote:
We should instead focus on a more long term guy like Laich, not saying we can sign him, but we should focus more on a long term piece of the puzzle.
Again, inform yourself. This year's UFA market for forwards is THIN. Next year's a bit better, and the year after that, better. So wouldn't it be just logical to take Jagr in the meantime, and sign someone else when there will be more than just one Laich-type player as your best UFA target available?

Old
06-21-2011, 10:29 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
From the many reports, he's opened the bid for teams at 2,5 mil. That's his demand. Instead of just trying to be the great overseer of what is true and real, why don't you inform yourself first.

Again, inform yourself. This year's UFA market for forwards is THIN. Next year's a bit better, and the year after that, better. So wouldn't it be just logical to take Jagr in the meantime, and sign someone else when there will be more than just one Laich-type player as your best UFA target available?
Yes - that would be logical. The problem is you're trying to discuss something logical on HFBoards.

Old
06-21-2011, 10:31 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymorin007 View Post
LeBrun is usually as close to on the money (no pun intended) as you can get. If Pittsburgh, who are seemingly forever in search of scoring wingers, aren't interested in Jagr unless he's dirt cheap, that should probably give you an idea of how the other teams in the league value him.

Old
06-21-2011, 10:31 AM
AraGOHABSGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
That isn't really what he was saying proving once again that you missed the point of what he was saying. Go read his post again. He isn't saying goals are less important than assists he's saying he's basing it on not just one season but rather both players collective last few seasons. Gionta has always produced more pts a season than Kostitsyn has on average. He's referring to the points in general. You can see it clear as day by the end of his post when he says that.

He never tried to say Gionta > Zetterberg, not even close. For some reason you misunderstand what he's saying and are jumping to that conclusion but this isn't what he's saying not even in the slightest.

You are right, I stopped reading with 2 lines of the first paragraph....

I must of looked like an idiot

Sure gives me another lesson of reading fully xD

Old
06-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Cull909

Send a message via AIM to Cull909
Quote:

I'm always trying to stay pretty informed but if you have any advice I'm always open. Should I read more papers? Surf the web. Perhaps I should climb a mountain and seek your counsel?

Seriously, I was making the point that people act like we'll sign Jagr for peanuts when it seems like his agent is trying to start a bidding war. I don't disagree with the thought that this years FA group is weak, I was only sharing my opinion on a message board (imagine that). You don't have to be a D-bag.

Old
06-21-2011, 11:14 AM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

i want Jagr but i dont care as long as we get somebody and not just have same team i just want 1 Top 6 Forward

Old
06-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

nix this post please

Old
06-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
I'm always trying to stay pretty informed but if you have any advice I'm always open. Should I read more papers? Surf the web. Perhaps I should climb a mountain and seek your counsel?

Seriously, I was making the point that people act like we'll sign Jagr for peanuts when it seems like his agent is trying to start a bidding war. I don't disagree with the thought that this years FA group is weak, I was only sharing my opinion on a message board (imagine that). You don't have to be a D-bag.
If you have an issue, here's a tissue

Old
06-21-2011, 11:50 AM
OpenIceHit

vCash: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyG 91 View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned but:

"Report: Jagr wants to resume NHL career with Penguins"
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369559
This is pretty much the end of it.

This is the article mentionned on TSN. It's more specific :

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_743092.html

Old
06-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Even a guy like Frolov, he could be primed for a rebound, potential for 60-70 points in the right situation, might be worth a 1 year 3 mil.

Old
06-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
This is pretty much the end of it.

This is the article mentionned on TSN. It's more specific :

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_743092.html
End of it how? There's absolutely no conclusive logic at all to hold up that conclusion. Didn't you notice that all reports that went out from every city (except NY) have all said that their city was Jagr's priority. TSN being the outside, they're still the 'toronto' sports network, and that TSN article is actually based on the Pittsburg article, so it's the same. When the news came out in Montreal, the Habs were Jagr's #1 priority team, Detroit, it was Detroit the #1, and Pittsburg the same, it's the Pens who are #1 choice.

Don't you find this odd? But since one report fits your POV, you take that as the undeniable sign that he'll sign elsewhere.

Again, I'm not saying he'll sign here, but as much as some people are probably too hopeful, some others take anything that has a tone of negativity to be a sign that the negative outcome is sure to happen.

Hold your horses.

Old
06-21-2011, 12:07 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AraGOHABSGO View Post
You are right, I stopped reading with 2 lines of the first paragraph....

I must of looked like an idiot

Sure gives me another lesson of reading fully xD
No worries

Something similar happened to me a few weeks ago. I totally misread somebodies post and made a fool of myself in the process of responding

Quote:
End of it how? There's absolutely no conclusive logic at all to hold up that conclusion. Didn't you notice that all reports that went out from every city (except NY) have all said that their city was Jagr's priority. TSN being the outside, they're still the 'toronto' sports network, and that TSN article is actually based on the Pittsburg article, so it's the same. When the news came out in Montreal, the Habs were Jagr's #1 priority team, Detroit, it was Detroit the #1, and Pittsburg the same, it's the Pens who are #1 choice.

Don't you find this odd? But since one report fits your POV, you take that as the undeniable sign that he'll sign elsewhere.

Again, I'm not saying he'll sign here, but as much as some people are probably too hopeful, some others take anything that has a tone of negativity to be a sign that the negative outcome is sure to happen.

Hold your horses.
Funny part is the NYC report said MTL were the front runners

Old
06-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Funny part is the NYC report said MTL were the front runners
Ha, the irony.

Closed Thread