HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Van/Philly: Luongo+Raymond for Briere+Leighton

Old
06-20-2011, 12:15 PM
spuzzum

vCash: 500
Although this solves the Flyers goaltending needs, Vancouver definitely needs to upgrade their wingers instead of receive another center. Briere is a proven playoff performer, but it is not enough to entice Vancouver. Trade is just not viable.

spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
No interest in Luongo, I don't think he'd survive in Philadelphia.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:19 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
To the people calling Bryz a bigger or equivalent choker to Luongo go back to the Canucks Kool-Aid forums.

Luongo is probably the biggest choker of all time. He's had stacked teams in front of him and has choked time and time again. Don't even try to compare a Phoenix goalie whose team doesn't even spend to the cap to Luongo, a guy playing in a Canadian market with a team that spends to the cap and gets players taking pay cuts in order to live in such a nice place.

It really isn't even a comparable scenario. Luongo has had much better teams in front of him that have made him look like more than an average goalie for years. You can't possibly be comparing the biggest choke artist in NHL history to Bryzgalov a guy who hasn't had very good teams in front of him. Not saying Phoenix is terrible but they aren't as stacked as Vancouver is not even close

At one point didn't Vancouver have 8 D that were all at minimum 5+ on any given team? Sorry but Phoenix is no where near comparable and had Vancouver had Bryzgalov instead of Luongo chances are the Sedins hoist the cup

Luongo is a big time choker and shouldn't even be said in the same sentence as Ilya

He's a big time choker dude. Plain and simple. I've thought this for years and actually Vancouver fans defended him to the bitter end for many years. Enough is enough, they may turn on the guy but how many stacked teams and stacked d corps does this guy need in order to step up in the playoffs? 10 chances? 20?

Frankly Vezina candidate doesn't mean ****. Yeah he's a great regular season goaltender, but he chokes under the pressure. Also on a stacked team like his most average goalies could be Vezina candidates. Had Washington played Jose Theodore for more games a few years back he'd be a Vezina candidate that year as well. What matters is stepping up in the playoffs and frankly I'd take a Niemi whose actually proven he has what it takes over a guy who chokes year after year any day of the week.

I'm not saying Luo is a terrible goalie, but he's overrated by the inflated numbers he gets by having a great team in front of him and on top of that he chokes under pressure. Long story short being 1st in the regular season doesn't win you cups, winning 16 games in the post season does. A team that rarely lost in the regular season was somehow no longer able to keep up that winning pace. Yes they won 15 games, after nearly getting eliminated by the 8th place team, choking in several games (we're talking bad goals or blow outs)

Truth is I wouldn't trust him to lead me to cup on any team. Maybe he gets burned out from being played too much who knows, but he isn't a Stanley Cup goaltender, book it he doesn't win a cup in his career.
You sound angry, dude. How many times did you call Luongo a choker in this post? Seriously, chill out.

BTW, I'd do the deal, but Philly wouldn't, and understandably so. Luongo was great overall in the playoffs, but he unfortunately dropped the ball big time in big games. Though, how nice would it be for the Canucks to have Briere on a line with Kesler?

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
He's gonna need someone to pump his tires

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post

The Canucks won't move Luongo, and certainly not for an over the hill Briere.
Oh sweet irony.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:

lol you love Luongo.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:43 PM
whskybarJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
Good point. But Philly is already over the cap without signing Bryzgalov. Signing him would force them to move some important pieces for draft picks.
which you will see very shortly.....
carl and versteeg are gone...
i do not think carter or rich is going anywhere

basically you are farting around with a proposal for a goalie, many claim to be a headcase, who would never survive philly.

whskybarJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:50 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Philadelphia gains a Vezina candiate goalie (their achilles heel has been in goal for years) and a promising young forward while clearing a little cap space.

Vancouver gains a dynamic winger.

Thoughts?
If Vancouver is trying to trade Raymond they should at least add a vertebrae or two to the deal to make it even.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Steamer

[QUOTE=NYVanfan;33756047]

and the Luongo hate needs to stop. While not oblivious to the rough games he had in the last 2 in particular, I'll point out that he's a Vezina finalist, a Jennings winner and was in Conn Smyth contention thru 20 of those playoff games.

Are you kidding the hate has just begun. He chokes every time he is in the playoffs. All he had to do is play well in one game in Boston, he didn't. All he had to do in game 6 is play half decently and the team had a chance, instead he lets in the 4 fastest goals in Stanley Cup history. Blown out by Chicago 2x and Boston 4x in this years playoffs! LUONGO HAS TO GO!

Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 03:46 PM
mercury

Quote:
Good point. But Philly is already over the cap without signing Bryzgalov. Signing him would force them to move some important pieces for draft picks.
The Flyers are under the cap with 18 guys signed. Sorry, I know you want something for nothing, but you can't have it.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:03 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Hell no says Philly.

We need a goalie to get us over the hump so to speak. Plugging in Luongo won't do dick for us.

Bryz will be our guy. He may not be a big time playoff goalie, or maybe he'll be lights out with the team we put in front of him. Either way we will see hopefully. Luongo couldn't stop a beach ball playing with the best team in the league in front of him (for all intents and purposes. I know Boston won the cup so I digress), so what will he do playing for us? Nothing more than he has already accomplished.

Also, why trade one of the NHL's best playoff performers in Briere for one of the NHL's biggest underachievers in Luongo.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Bryz4shiz

Quote:
Have you watched Bryzgalov in the playoffs lately?
Have you watched Lebrongo in the playoffs recently? Or Briere, who unlike the entire Canucks roster actually plays better in the playoffs.

Quote:

34 goals and just under a ppg in the playoffs is so over the hill

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:50 PM
NuxFan09

Man, Luongo is such an enigma. He is known for his downright horrid stinkers in the playoffs, yet his career playoff statistics are respectable:

2.50 GAA, .917 Save %, 5 shutouts, with a Cup finals appearance to boot.

The thing is, though, he melts down at the worst time ever. He may not have many bad games, but it seems the few bad games he's had have all been crucial games. This year, in particular, a few stinkers - even though he got 2 shutouts in the same series - actually cost his team the Stanley Cup. Unfortunately, at the end of the day that is enough to outweigh his numerous stellar performances. I'd rather a guy that shows up at the right time and helps my team win the Cup than put up sparkling numbers but crumble when it counts.

I love the guy tremendously, but at this point he pretty much has to win a Cup to make up for all the heartbreaking meltdowns that have cost his team dearly over the years in the playoffs.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:02 PM
Schenn Bros Pizza*
All-Star

is this real life? no seriously, AWFUL just AWFUL trade.

Schenn Bros Pizza* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Values there for sure. Contract issues though as well. Philly says no though. Luongo at that price is steep. Would make them competitve for sure.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Schroeder19

no thanks to briere and leighton

People would have laughed at this offer at the beginning of the year but the canucks haters are getting their way

Schroeder19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:09 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder19 View Post
no thanks to briere and leighton

People would have laughed at this offer at the beginning of the year but the canucks haters are getting their way
The Flyers also weren't about to sign Bryzgalov in the beginning of the year, too.

The players given up by Van are better than the ones given up by Philly in this deal, but the Flyers don't need Luongo (as Bryz is about to be signed by Philly) and Briere is a playoff stud.

It doesn't make sense for Philly anymore.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Virtanev
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Really Luongo is the biggest chocker of all time, and still manages to choke even when playing on stacked teams. Some of you people are down right idiots, who won the biggest game in Canadian sports history, and don't give me that Luongo looked shaky ****, he made 34 saves in that game. Another pressured game Luongo won was game 7 against Chicago many Canucks fans/experts said that was the biggest game in franchise history at the time, due to what what happen to the team personal wise if they lost, guess what Luongo won that game to. Also don't forget game 5 of the San Joes series which he won sending his team to the finals making 52 saves! Luongo is an elite goalie and will not be traded, the Canucks organization has faith in him and thats really all that matters.

Virtanev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Devonator

As a Flyer fan, I would do this trade if it was for the Lou of a few years ago when he was consistently great in the net and world elite....he simply is not anymore...Van fans...at least most of them, should be more realistic.....and to top it off, he has one of the worse contracts in Hockey!

No thank you a thousand times from a Flyer perspective as we are quite happy signing Byrz!

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

So instead of having a playoff stud in Briere, we can have someone who just suffered a serious injury and is out for 6 months and a playoff dud.

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:53 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

So Bob McKenzie was saying Roberto Luongo was a serious Conn Smythe candidate after game 5 of the 4th round, is coming off another Vezina calibre season and he's being described as a 'worthless, over the hill choker'? This after playing one of the best games of his career in game 7 against the Hawks where he was under as much pressure and scrutiny as any goalie of this era...

How many goaltenders in the world have played at a higher level than Luongo over the longterm? It's strange, NHL players always point to Luongo as one of, if not the most feared goaltender in the league. What don't they know that the loud mouth couch cowboys do? Can someone fill me in.

Bryzgalov will eat up a larger cap hit than Luongo for the next few years while being an inferior goaltender every step of the way. As a Canuck fan, I have no problem with that.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:55 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Briere has been ridiculously good in the playoffs. I cant see Philly trading him for a guy with a HUGE question mark hanging over his head. Yea Bobby Lu won the Gold but he had an ALL star team in front of him playing for their country on home ice...

just sayin

06-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Devonator

I think many Canuck fans are simply whistling past the graveyard vis a vis Lou....he is not getting better...he is getting worse...he is terribly inconsistent in the most important games...he is mentally fragile...a team would be crazy to trade for Lou....and that isn't even talking about his horrendous contract!

As a loather of the Canucks, I am more then happy to see them stuck with Lou for the next many years with that horrible price.

The fact is, you can be sure, if the Canucks could just dump Lou for very very little, they would do post haste!! Vancouver, you have your Gomez...and for many more years at that!!

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Breeze 44

Quote:

Wow...if Danny is over the hill, what are the Sedins....dead and buried? You might want to look at their career playoff stats there sportsfan...We'll keep Briere but thanks

Breeze 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinomics View Post
Oh how fast Vancouver fans turn on their players that had them a win away from a cup.... sad
I love Luongo, and have been a firm supporter of him but these recent playoffs have definitely shattered a portion of my faith. I am not foolish enough to lay the full blame upon his doorstep however he certainly deserves ridicule. The reason I would look to possibly trade him is because we are approaching a situation similar to Montreal, wherein we will have to make a decision between him and Schneider. If an opportunity to move Luongo presents itself, then it might be strongly considered. If not hopefully he rebounds in a spectacular way to proves he is capable of taking a team to hoist the Stanley cup.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote