HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Nicklas Lidstrom agrees to one-year contract for $6.2M

View Poll Results: What will Lidstrom do?
Return! - Stanley Cup baby! 76 91.57%
Retire - FML 7 8.43%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-20-2011, 10:45 AM
norrisnick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post
He's 41, he's in his last year, lets take a slight discount (I said $5.5 mil, is that really a slap in the face......) to give me the absolute BEST chance of having the perfect send off.

It appears gaining that every last bit of money takes priority over building the best possible team. That's how I see it. You disagree, fine.
Building the best possible team is not Lidstrom's job. He's a professional athlete. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to be paid fairly for the services he provides. If you can honestly sit there and tell me his play doesn't warrant a top 10 salary for defensemen (which I don't think he's even getting, but I'm too lazy to look it up) you are seriously disconnected from reality.

norrisnick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
We have $16M to spend on strengthening an already deep team, on top of that our best defenceman is coming back. What more do you want when the off-season arrives? $16M equals three really good players, or 5-6 real solid pieces.
End of the day, this here is all that matters. No core RFA's to sign, the same team that went to the conference semis and made it to a game seven, and have SIXTEEN MILLION to spend??? STILL? WITH Lidstrom on the books??? Yet, there are complaints??

Kaberle 5
Wisniewski 4
Jagr 3.5

leaves 3.5 in space, maybe get Leino back? And this is a problem????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Forgive me for being unsympathetic.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Filppula
Jurks

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Building the best possible team is not Lidstrom's job. He's a professional athlete. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to be paid fairly for the services he provides. If you can honestly sit there and tell me his play doesn't warrant a top 10 salary for defensemen (which I don't think he's even getting, but I'm too lazy to look it up) you are seriously disconnected from reality.
I must be if $5-5.5mil is considered a slap in the face.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:48 AM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

I am not shocked that he got 6.2 million, but am disappointed. He deserves it, but I am worried that he is going to have a massive decline in production. Yes it’s very unlikely, but I am a pessimistic individual.

Still the fact that I get to see Lidstrom play one more year is priceless.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:53 AM
DRWCountryClub

No Kaberle please.

Wideman would be awesome though.

Nick at 6.2 is fair value, but I would have smiled to see him take 5.5, that's all.

Glad he's back.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Ricelund
troll

I love that people are complaining about the dollar amount. $6.2 million for the probable Norris winner is too much but $5.5 million would've been fine? That $700,000 isn't going to make or break the 2011-2012 Red Wings.

They have $16 million to spend on a backup goalie, one top-four defenseman, one bottom-pairing defenseman, and a forward or two and people are *****ing about $700k. That's probably $1m max for a backup, so $15 million to spend on three or four players. Unbelievable.

06-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Borlag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
End of the day, this here is all that matters. No core RFA's to sign, the same team that went to the conference semis and made it to a game seven, and have SIXTEEN MILLION to spend??? STILL? WITH Lidstrom on the books??? Yet, there are complaints??

Kaberle 5
Wisniewski 4
Jagr 3.5

leaves 3.5 in space, maybe get Leino back? And this is a problem????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Forgive me for being unsympathetic.
No need to apologize. Some of the people here need a reality check as it seems no contract is ever good unless it's a ridiculous discount, our team is never good unless it has at least 21 future hall of famers in it, and no season is ever good unless it ends up with a Stanley Cup. It's simply ridiculous how spoiled we are compared to how it used to be.

Borlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:55 AM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
I love that people are complaining about the dollar amount. $6.2 million for the probable Norris winner is too much but $5.5 million would've been fine? That $700,000 isn't going to make or break the 2011-2012 Red Wings.

They have $16 million to spend on a backup goalie, one top-four defenseman, one bottom-pairing defenseman, and a forward or two and people are *****ing about $700k. Unbelievable.
I think its all mental. Thats the way I see it. Looking at 6 million bucks and seeing 5 million just seems better. Like how gas is 3.99, but in reality its 4 bucks a gallon.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:56 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadzedder View Post
We're not turning on Lidstrom. We love our Lidstrom. We'd be glad to have him back at 8 million. And no, no one sane disliked Yzerman. But Yzerman played his final year for beans. Lidstrom is much higher impact player than Yzerman in his final year but it would have went a long way for Lidstrom to leave another mil on the table. If Stevie could do it, surely Lids could have.

That's all were saying. But glad he's back.
Nick just scored 62 points facing the toughest opponents of anyone on the team or the league for that matter. Stevie played 5 more seasons after the last time he scored 60 or more points. Both players asked to be and were paid fairly for the level of play and impact to the team that they provided. If Stevie were a top 5 or even top 20 forward in the league in his final few years he'd have been making a hell of a lot more money than he ended up taking.

I mean, Nick is making $6.2M and he just finished as a Norris Finalist (along with the Byng and Messier *ugh*) as the team captain and 2nd highest scoring Wing in the regular season AND the playoffs while skating agains the opposition's best. And he's making $1.5M or so less than when he was doing the very same thing just after the lockout and $4M or so less than when he was doing the very same thing before the lockout. Sure he's older, and not quite as good as he used to be, but he's not getting paid quite what he used to be. Once there's a dramatic fall off you can expect a dramatic paycut (his entire salary as he'd retire).

Old
06-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borlag View Post
No need to apologize. Some of the people here need a reality check as it seems no contract is ever good unless it's a ridiculous discount, our team is never good unless it has at least 21 future hall of famers in it, and no season is ever good unless it ends up with a Stanley Cup. It's simply ridiculous how spoiled we are compared to how it used to be.
We're the same way over in NJ. Everyone got a little taste of failure though after this season. I respect the hell out of the Wings, and especially Lidstrom. I thought it would be his last year, thankfully it wasn't. Can't wait to see him put up another 60 points next year.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:00 AM
DRWCountryClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post

They have $16 million to spend on a backup goalie, one top-four defenseman, one bottom-pairing defenseman, and a forward or two and people are *****ing about $700k. That's probably $1m max for a backup, so $15 million to spend on three or four players. Unbelievable.
I think it's more what taking a small discount represents.

I don't really care either way, because he's still the best defenseman the Wings could have.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:01 AM
GuloGulo

It's the prerogative of pro athletes to demand whatever they want, and the job of GMs to work that number down. I'm fine with this sum.

GuloGulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:01 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
Honestly, for the type of person and personality it takes to dedicate their lives to work themselves up to the pinnacle of their trade and maintain that status for decades, yeah it would be. What's wrong with expecting to be compensated fairly? Nick didn't ask for more than he was worth.

Kenny would be spending far more than $6.2 to replace Nick in that lockerroom, on that bench, and on the ice.

Old
06-20-2011, 11:02 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

All this complaining about a million or so dollars of Lidstrom's salary is going to look pretty funny when the Red Wings finish the off-season several million dollars under the cap (not that it doesn't look funny already).

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:02 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Based on the fact that the cap is going up, it's absolutely nothing to be disappointed with. It's the same scenario cap wise as if he was getting $1.5M and the cap stayed the same. And the cap space is what it's all about for this coming season trying to make this team a contender again. Without Lidstrom that wouldn't happen.
Oh come on.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:06 AM
ricky0034

Quote:
you know who makes $5m+ in salary or cap hit next year?

Chara
Beowmeester
Campbell
Timonen
Boyle
Phaneuf
Keith
Pronger
Visnovsky
Seabrook
Whitney
Gilbert
Gonchar
Rozsival
Martin
Ohlund
Komisarek
Hamhuis
Green

that's 19 names

and it doesn't include RFAS/UFAS(of which there are quite a few such as Doughty/Weber/Yandle/Markov/Bieksa)

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:08 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
this is like someone turning against Brodeur.

Does this happen often here? Did people not like Stevie Y (post 92)????

AFAIC it's a discount. The team still has quite a bit of cap space too.
Stevie took a major discount.
He waited until the Wings made all their signings and said give me what's left ($1.2M).
Now, Yzerman wasn;t the same player he once was. But given his stature in this town, he could have demanded far more and gotten it, and cost this team the ability to keep Datsyuk/Zetterberg
Shanny also took a big pay cut that year too, IIRC>

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:10 AM
datsykiandeke
nose for the net

I have no problem with that amount. Fact of the matter is if he retired what player could we pay 6.2 mil to fill his shoes and do it as good as he can?

datsykiandeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
you know who makes $5m+ in salary or cap hit next year?

Chara
Beowmeester
Campbell
Timonen
Boyle
Phaneuf
Keith
Pronger
Visnovsky
Seabrook
Whitney
Gilbert
Gonchar
Rozsival
Martin
Ohlund
Komisarek
Hamhuis
Green

that's 19 names

and it doesn't include RFAS/UFAS(of which there are quite a few such as Doughty/Weber/Yandle/Markov/Bieksa)
You forgot Redden and Souray. Understandable as they'll be playing in the AHL...

Old
Leadzedder

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Nick just scored 62 points facing the toughest opponents of anyone on the team or the league for that matter. Stevie played 5 more seasons after the last time he scored 60 or more points. Both players asked to be and were paid fairly for the level of play and impact to the team that they provided. If Stevie were a top 5 or even top 20 forward in the league in his final few years he'd have been making a hell of a lot more money than he ended up taking.

I mean, Nick is making $6.2M and he just finished as a Norris Finalist (along with the Byng and Messier *ugh*) as the team captain and 2nd highest scoring Wing in the regular season AND the playoffs while skating agains the opposition's best. And he's making $1.5M or so less than when he was doing the very same thing just after the lockout and $4M or so less than when he was doing the very same thing before the lockout. Sure he's older, and not quite as good as he used to be, but he's not getting paid quite what he used to be. Once there's a dramatic fall off you can expect a dramatic paycut (his entire salary as he'd retire).

I agree with you NN. Even if he has a poor (to his standards) season I'm ok with the amount. Money is not wasted on Lidstrom. Truth is we have tons of money / space. As epsilon says... we may have trouble spending it all. So, the 1.2 doesn't matter. Not to us, not to Holland, and i would hope not to Nick. But at 5 mil, he's a hero to everyone today.

Leadzedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Cleary=Jerry Gergich

I didn't see it him going lower than 5.5m anyway and with the cap going up to almost 64m that 700k aint gonna make or break our team.

I'm just happy he's back.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:12 AM
ArGarBarGar
Doc Messier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Surprised it took this long for people to start comparing the two.

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Luke

Quote:
Ah right-o, I got it now! So because there are a handful of guys overpaid in the league, it means Lidstrom cannot get near their salaries as it'd be a disgrace. How about concentrating on our own backyard, and how the extra cap space could've helped us, however small.
Nick Lidstrom is a finalist for the Norris Trophy (not sure if you realize what that is). Your expectations of him taking a salary cut are both stupid and unrealistic. Besides, he already did that two seasons ago.

Perhaps, if he were only a 2nd pair d-man, your belief would be warranted. He's not and it's not. Lidstrom owes you nothing.

Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:13 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
He waited until the Wings made all their signings and said give me what's left ($1.2M).Now, Yzerman wasn;t the same player he once was. But given his stature in this town, he could have demanded far more and gotten it, and cost this team the ability to keep Datsyuk/Zetterberg
Shanny also took a big pay cut that year too, IIRC>
I'm pretty sure the wailing and gnashing of teeth would be even louder if Nick were to take that as I'm fairly certain that by that point there will be more than $6.2M left on the table.

But again, the assumption is being made that Nick DID play hard ball and squeezed Kenny for everything he could. I've got a hunch that if Nick wanted more, he'd have gotten more. Last year and this year.

Old
06-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Terence Peterman

With the cap going up and his salary staying the same, his contract accounts for .014% less on the cap...or about 900k. So, yeah, about that 700k-1.2 MM discount some of you are crying about...he met you almost right in the middle.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote