HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Availability of Neuvirth/Varlamov/Holtby

Old
06-20-2011, 12:18 PM
apice3*

vCash: 500
Availability of Neuvirth/Varlamov/Holtby

Washington has an abundance of young, goaltending talent. I believe I heard Varlamov is headed for Russia, although I don't know how that works with him being an RFA. Holtby and Neuvirth both played well this year, with Neuvirth looking like he's going to be the starter for a long while.

Anyway, Caps fans, how expendable are each of these goaltenders? What would you expect in return from each one?

Also, any clarification on Varlamov's future would be appreciated.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:19 PM
Guest123

Varlamov to PHO. Good fit. I want to see it done.

Guest123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

All three of them are waiver exempt, so the Caps have no pressing need to trade any of them. It would take an exceptional offer or one that really fills a Capitals need in order for GMGM to trade one.

As for Varlamov, the Caps made him an offer "months ago" according to his agent. Negotiations are ongoing. He has interest in the KHL, but the team that owns his rights can't afford him. Supposedly there's another team that wants to buy his rights from Lokomotiv and offer him a contract around ~$4M/yr with term. But all of this is according to his agent, who could just be looking to build interest and fake competition.

Hivemind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 01:48 PM
apice3*

What are Washington's needs? Would a good defensive prospect suffice?

I understand that Washington would want something enticing but with Washington having three quality goaltenders, it seems rather pointless to keep one in the minors/lose Varlamov to Russia rather than gaining something in return. Also, with goalie value being low, I wouldn't expect Washington to get a eye-popping offer.

Old
06-20-2011, 04:52 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM73 View Post
Eitehr way, there is no reason fro the caps to trade any of them, unless Varly doesn't want to sign because he's bitter for not being the #1 Goalie... then we have an extra asset to play with :-D
I just don't see the purpose of keeping a 3rd goaltender. I feel its the most expendable possible asset a team can have. Might as well trade one to improve a the rest of the team. At least that's the way I see it.

Old
06-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
What are Washington's needs? Would a good defensive prospect suffice?
No. Washington would want assets that would help the team get closer to a Cup now.

Quote:
I just don't see the purpose of keeping a 3rd goaltender. I feel its the most expendable possible asset a team can have. Might as well trade one to improve a the rest of the team. At least that's the way I see it.
Because we learned from Toronto's mistakes when they chose between Pogge and Rask far too early. Also, just the numerous young goalies who have a great year or two then flame out (Raycroft, Toskala, Carey, Mason, Aebischer, etc.).

No reason to pick a goaltender too early. Especially when you get such a weak return for them these days.

Old
06-20-2011, 05:05 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Ultimately I think the team rather Holtby get another season of seasoning down at Hershey and go with Varlamov/Neuvirth combo this upcoming season. Only wild card obviously if Varlamov somehow bolts to the KHL. Seen too many young goalie prospects flame out after a couple of years so holding on to them a bit longer seems like the best way, IMHO.

06-20-2011, 05:13 PM
Fallschirmyager

As things stand right now, there is no need to trade any of them so in order to gain GMGMs attention you'll have to wow him. The CAPS are 2 seasons away from "having" to make a decision as that's when Holtbys ELC runs out. By that time either Neuvy or Varly should have cemented themselves as the #1. The other guy can be traded away.

I don't believe at this point any offer that is just about picks or prospects is going to hold any interest from management. Roster players that fit needs do but I don't see that any of the G's will get the level of player we want/need.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Neurwith to me seems like the one with the least potential out of the 3.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Which KHL team(s) would want Varlamov? SKA?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Which KHL team(s) would want Varlamov? SKA?
His rights are owned by Lokomotiv. So whoever Lokomotiv is trying to sell his rights to. Varly wouldn't get a choice.

Old
06-20-2011, 06:10 PM
apice3*

So it seems like the consensus is that none of them are really for sale now, but within the next two or three years, one will either be a FA or traded.

Old
06-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
So it seems like the consensus is that none of them are really for sale now, but within the next two or three years, one will either be a FA or traded.
I could see one being moved around the TDL under the right circumstances. But yes, it's unlikely that one gets moved this off-season. And if it does happen, they'd likely be shipped out west to Phoenix or Colorado.

Old
06-20-2011, 07:26 PM
DeltaSwede

Holtby will be in the A next year. Varlamov and Neuvirth will split time between the pipes. Doubt that one of them will be traded.

DeltaSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 07:28 PM
txpd

Quote:
varly is the most skilled goalie of the three. he is more athletic than his body can handle and not disciplined enough to tone it down in order to stay healthy. that is the reason to keep all three. any and all of the three are as good or better than any veteran backup goalie.

all three played plenty of games last season and its likely this coming season would be similar.

meanwhile, goalies dont bring much in return. no reason to trade them. see?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:20 PM
A91

Edmonton could be interesteeed

A91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:58 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
varly is the most skilled goalie of the three. he is more athletic than his body can handle and not disciplined enough to tone it down in order to stay healthy. that is the reason to keep all three. any and all of the three are as good or better than any veteran backup goalie.

all three played plenty of games last season and its likely this coming season would be similar.

meanwhile, goalies dont bring much in return. no reason to trade them. see?
I feel like Holtby has the most potential of all three. He's the least seasoned, but he has the demeanor of an all star goalie that you can't teach. He has the attitude of a Cam Ward, or dare I say, Olie Kolzig? Goalies like that are more rare than normal "skill" goalies like Varlamov. That being said, Varly is closer to his ceiling, and so he is a safer bet than Holtby.

But Neuvirth, imo, is the safest bet, but with the least "star potential". He's a reliable pick considering how steady and seasoned he looks already.

For that reason, I think Holtby and Neuvirth would be the best to hang onto. Varlamov seems the most expendable. I agree with your assertion that they dont have to move any of them, and ideally, they wouldnt. But having three goalies means someone is going to be starting in Hershey. Considering the experience of Varly and Neuvirth, you have to assume that would be Holtby. And I dont see Holtby as the type of goalie that would benefit from playing in the minors another year.

Ultimately, if it came down to it, my opinion is that the Caps best bet would be to deal Varlamov, and split the load between Holtby and Neuvirth. Neuvirth can be a starter. Holtby could be a star.

Just my $.02. It's certainly a great spot to be in.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Krnage

one of those caps goalies versus LOLongo

Krnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:16 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Holtby does have some great potential. Truculent attitude and definitely the best stick handling of the three youngling goalies. If the right deal came along I could see one of the three being moved but they are not in a rush yet due to contract statuses.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:17 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
SKA and Lokomotiv are interested in signing Varlamov

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:39 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
I feel like Holtby has the most potential of all three. He's the least seasoned, but he has the demeanor of an all star goalie that you can't teach. He has the attitude of a Cam Ward, or dare I say, Olie Kolzig? Goalies like that are more rare than normal "skill" goalies like Varlamov. That being said, Varly is closer to his ceiling, and so he is a safer bet than Holtby.

But Neuvirth, imo, is the safest bet, but with the least "star potential". He's a reliable pick considering how steady and seasoned he looks already.

For that reason, I think Holtby and Neuvirth would be the best to hang onto. Varlamov seems the most expendable. I agree with your assertion that they dont have to move any of them, and ideally, they wouldnt. But having three goalies means someone is going to be starting in Hershey. Considering the experience of Varly and Neuvirth, you have to assume that would be Holtby. And I dont see Holtby as the type of goalie that would benefit from playing in the minors another year.

Ultimately, if it came down to it, my opinion is that the Caps best bet would be to deal Varlamov, and split the load between Holtby and Neuvirth. Neuvirth can be a starter. Holtby could be a star.

Just my $.02. It's certainly a great spot to be in.
wow...shock. a guy with carcillo on his avatar likes a goalie that slashes teammates in scrimmages. kolzig's temper worked against him as often or moreso than it worked for him and his team.

facts are that all three players have great potential. neuvirth is the only one that has proven he can carry a playoff load to a championship. he is cold as ice and rock solid stable. varly has the most skill. if he gets his head together, he would be an allstar. holtby has great potential and could be the best of the three but lets remember that he hasnt played long enough in the nhl for the league to get a book on him.

yes, holtby could be a star, but the reality is that any or all of them could be stars.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:50 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
wow...shock. a guy with carcillo on his avatar likes a goalie that slashes teammates in scrimmages. kolzig's temper worked against him as often or moreso than it worked for him and his team.

facts are that all three players have great potential. neuvirth is the only one that has proven he can carry a playoff load to a championship. he is cold as ice and rock solid stable. varly has the most skill. if he gets his head together, he would be an allstar. holtby has great potential and could be the best of the three but lets remember that he hasnt played long enough in the nhl for the league to get a book on him.

yes, holtby could be a star, but the reality is that any or all of them could be stars.
Wow, relax. I love how much people assume just by me having a Carcillo avatar. For the record, I hate Carcillo. But that's besides the point. People are way too quick to assume things on here.

Kolzig was one of the best in the league for a long time. It had a lot to do with his confidence and demeanor. Star goalies in the league tend to have that air of confidence to them. All I am saying is that I see that bit of cockiness in Holtby.

Goalies are nut cases. But it seems that all star quality goalies are cut from a certain cloth, and I see that X factor in Holtby more than I see in the other two. It could be nothing, and that's why I say to hang onto Neuvirth who is by far the safest bet. I just dont think it will be wise to try to please all 3 goalies. Cash in on Varly now, and take your chances, which are still very high odds, with the other two.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:08 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
Neurwith to me seems like the one with the least potential out of the 3.
This has become consensus regarding Neuvy, and as a Caps fan who has seen all 3 all play every game I don't get it.

He's won two Calder Cups, was MVP of one of them and was the Caps' best player in the playoffs. Boudreau raves about his compete level.

Varlamov may have the most upside, but lacks the technical game of the other two.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:11 PM
Robert Theodorson

Varlamov could probably be had for a bottom pairing defensemen or a bottom six forward so long as they have a good playoff history and have character/grit.

That's what I'd give him up for at least, because thats what we need.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:50 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Varlamov could probably be had for a bottom pairing defensemen or a bottom six forward so long as they have a good playoff history and have character/grit.

That's what I'd give him up for at least, because thats what we need.
What age range?