HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Availability of Neuvirth/Varlamov/Holtby

Old
06-20-2011, 09:53 PM
Robert Theodorson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
What age range?
More like Zubrus and less like Clarkson if that answers your question.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:15 PM
GossomeRwing

I think it would be wise for the Caps to trade Varlamov I don't ever want to see a NHL player go to the KHL.

Phoenix is an obvious choice for Varlamov, but I don't want a checking line player in return I want BOEDKER.

Would Phoenix go for
Varlamov, Knuble, and the 26th overall pick and for Boedker

The Caps can sign a older goalie as their back-up Holtby should play in Hershey next year IMO

GossomeRwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:24 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
I feel like Holtby has the most potential of all three. He's the least seasoned, but he has the demeanor of an all star goalie that you can't teach. He has the attitude of a Cam Ward, or dare I say, Olie Kolzig? Goalies like that are more rare than normal "skill" goalies like Varlamov. That being said, Varly is closer to his ceiling, and so he is a safer bet than Holtby.

But Neuvirth, imo, is the safest bet, but with the least "star potential". He's a reliable pick considering how steady and seasoned he looks already.

For that reason, I think Holtby and Neuvirth would be the best to hang onto. Varlamov seems the most expendable. I agree with your assertion that they dont have to move any of them, and ideally, they wouldnt. But having three goalies means someone is going to be starting in Hershey. Considering the experience of Varly and Neuvirth, you have to assume that would be Holtby. And I dont see Holtby as the type of goalie that would benefit from playing in the minors another year.

Ultimately, if it came down to it, my opinion is that the Caps best bet would be to deal Varlamov, and split the load between Holtby and Neuvirth. Neuvirth can be a starter. Holtby could be a star.

Just my $.02. It's certainly a great spot to be in.
Totally agree with what you said but would like to add that Holtby and Varly have the potential to "steal" games and you need that come playoff time. I also love how well Holtby plays the puck and that is huge once again in acting as a third D to eliminate the effects of a forechecking system.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:07 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by GossomeRwing View Post
I think it would be wise for the Caps to trade Varlamov I don't ever want to see a NHL player go to the KHL.

Phoenix is an obvious choice for Varlamov, but I don't want a checking line player in return I want BOEDKER.

Would Phoenix go for

The Caps can sign a older goalie as their back-up Holtby should play in Hershey next year IMO
Please god no.

Mystlyfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:28 AM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GossomeRwing View Post

Would Phoenix go for

Trading a player that just signed an extension when the express purpose was not a sign and trade is bad business on so many levels.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:31 AM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
I feel like Holtby has the most potential of all three. He's the least seasoned, but he has the demeanor of an all star goalie that you can't teach. He has the attitude of a Cam Ward, or dare I say, Olie Kolzig? Goalies like that are more rare than normal "skill" goalies like Varlamov. That being said, Varly is closer to his ceiling, and so he is a safer bet than Holtby.

But Neuvirth, imo, is the safest bet, but with the least "star potential". He's a reliable pick considering how steady and seasoned he looks already.

For that reason, I think Holtby and Neuvirth would be the best to hang onto. Varlamov seems the most expendable. I agree with your assertion that they dont have to move any of them, and ideally, they wouldnt. But having three goalies means someone is going to be starting in Hershey. Considering the experience of Varly and Neuvirth, you have to assume that would be Holtby. And I dont see Holtby as the type of goalie that would benefit from playing in the minors another year.

Ultimately, if it came down to it, my opinion is that the Caps best bet would be to deal Varlamov, and split the load between Holtby and Neuvirth. Neuvirth can be a starter. Holtby could be a star.

Just my $.02. It's certainly a great spot to be in.
i agree with you 100% as a caps fan

um is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:50 PM
GossomeRwing

I know it is not the best way to do business but Knuble is 36.
I am guessing this is his last season in the NHL
If he could be packaged to bring in a super talented 21 year old I think you have to make the move.

Circumstances change every day a GM has to be able to adapt.
I am sure Knuble is a great guy but lets be honest last season he had 40 points in 79games that is a huge drop-off from the previous season. The Caps should trade him while he still has some value
Having a team that is viewed as CHOKERS is a very bad way to do business

GossomeRwing is offline   Reply With Quote