HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Are we really willing to lose Goc

Old
06-30-2011, 08:45 AM
hoosierpred

vCash: 500
Are we really willing to lose Goc

This makes no sense to me. On a per dollar basis, Goc has been an excellent performer for us. Particularly with the questions regarding Lombardi, i don't understand the thinking here. Every line that Goc has played on for us has been a much better line for him being on it. I there something about the injury that the organization is worried about?

hoosierpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:02 AM
Jarnberg

Don't get it either; Got was really good for us all season and was on pace to have his best season yet.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:22 AM
token grinder

I guess I don't get the love affair with goc. He wins a few faceoffs and as about as inconsistant as any other forward we have. Guys like him are a dime a dozen.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:17 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I like Goc, and with this QO situation I've changed my mind and think we should re-sign him. The bottom line, however, is that it is his decision. The Preds are only going to be able to offer certain terms, and if he doesn't like those terms he will test the market. I'd say a better way of phrasing it is we aren't willing to overpay for him.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:28 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I like Goc, and with this QO situation I've changed my mind and think we should re-sign him. The bottom line, however, is that it is his decision. The Preds are only going to be able to offer certain terms, and if he doesn't like those terms he will test the market. I'd say a better way of phrasing it is we aren't willing to overpay for him.
+1. Would love to have him back but there's a limit to what we'll pay. Besides, if I'm him, why not see what others will offer? Can always come back to us.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:41 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I think we have a bigger advantage with Goc than most realize. His injuries last season really hurt his chances at the deal he was wanting. He knows that in Nashville he will get good ice time. He knows the organization. I think he'll test the market, realize that teams are only offering short-term, low money deals, and then he'll come here to play for another year or two in an effort to inflate his value more.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:03 AM
hoosierpred

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I guess I don't get the love affair with goc. He wins a few faceoffs and as about as inconsistant as any other forward we have. Guys like him are a dime a dozen.
The love affair is not based only on his personal performance (which has been good, but very good on a per dollar basis), but it was clear to me that as long as we have had him, the line that he is on has "clicked". Particularly if it is a more mobile line. To me, his is the forward on the team with the best ability to make the transition game develop scoring opportunities. Right now, I would take him over Legwand since I think David has lost more than a step on his defensive game.

hoosierpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:18 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

He's a reliable, versatile center and seems like a good guy, but if he wants $2M, he can hit the bricks.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Shea Weber

Lots of Cs. If you're Poile who do you keep?

Fisher
Legwand
Smithson
O'Reilly
Goc
Geoffrion (isnt he a natural winger though?)
Lombardi (of course this comes with an *)

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:05 PM
alexmanu

Fisher and Legwand would be our top two centers, you can't expect Lombardi to be fit so he is out of the picture at the moment. I expect O'Reilly to play a key role next season if he re-signs. I prefer Geoffrion's upside and I also really like Smithson. I also thought that Nick Spaling and Colin Wilson were centers so we have a lot of depth at that position. I do really like Goc though but I will trust Poile's thinking on this one.

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:10 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
He's a reliable, versatile center and seems like a good guy, but if he wants $2M, he can hit the bricks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
Lots of Cs. If you're Poile who do you keep?

Fisher
Legwand
Smithson
O'Reilly
Goc
Geoffrion (isnt he a natural winger though?)
Lombardi (of course this comes with an *)
We have lots of center depth now, even if we test Fisher on the wing this upcoming season. With that QO mix-up we'll have to overpay some of guys already. Our strength is down the middle, so I don't think we need to overpay for another. Shame, but he just seems to be the odd-man out. Makes me wonder if the situation may have been different without the QO mix-up.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:57 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

We let Ward and Sully go to free agency a couple of years ago. They tested the market then stayed in place. This year it's Goc and Ward hitting the market. We'll see what happens.

No player is permanent.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 03:06 PM
Adz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
We let Ward and Sully go to free agency a couple of years ago. They tested the market then stayed in place. This year it's Goc and Ward hitting the market. We'll see what happens.

No player is permanent.
After awhile one would think we'd get used to that, but it's hard.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 03:31 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
After awhile one would think we'd get used to that, but it's hard.
We tend to think about those seasons past when a player did X or Y and fixate on those actions rather than the total player of Jun/Jul 2011. Dumont and Sully were wonderful additions that led to the regular season success of 05-06, but they haven't put up those types of numbers in a couple of years.

Goc is a role player who was a great fit for this team when what he's been making is compared to his contributions ... but ... we don't know what he wants on his new contract or if he's just wanting to see what his league-wide value is this summer. Ward did the same thing before his last contract with us.

We're facing the loss of Goc and Ward ... not Pronger and Neidermeyer, Gretzky and Messier, Richards and Carter. Role players can be replaced if they do in fact leave.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:21 PM
neofury*

Goc sounds like a player the habs could use

Sorry was on your forum reading up on the NHLPA fiasco and saw this thread.

Really sorry to hear whats happened guys. Hopefully you can retain the players your need.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:07 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
He actually did seem to click on any line he was on. Plus I want to hear Pete Weber say "Oh my Goc!!!" again.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:20 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

All I know is this. Nashville will have about 8.5 Million in cash to sign 4 forwards. If O'Reilly is a UFA and wants more than Goc, I say Goc.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:41 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
I have to say Goc is probably one of the best options right now. We could probably get him for 1.5M and he could give us 30-40 points and we could also have money at the trade deadline to get someone.

The fact the while Eric Cole would be nice he is going to cost a lot. Same thing with Leino and Gagne. The market is terrible this year, but next year things could improve.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:13 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Unfortunately, it's just a numbers game with Goc. I'd love to bring him back, but there simply isn't room for him... assuming O'Reilly comes back...

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:14 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Let 'em taste UFA status, if there's nothing there, bring 'em back at reasonable $$

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 01:46 AM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
All I know is this. Nashville will have about 8.5 Million in cash to sign 4 forwards. If O'Reilly is a UFA and wants more than Goc, I say Goc.
this.

I want Goc back over O'reilly. Goc is just as much as an offensive threat as Cal, IMO, but he also comes with a good defensive game, which we all know is a requirement on our current squad.

I just hope Poile doesnt feel like he has his hands tied and makes a stupid signing with any of these pending FA's or RFA's. (whichever the arbitrator decides)

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 01:02 PM
token grinder

guess that answers that, eh

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 01:12 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Yes.

/thread

Old
07-01-2011, 01:12 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Over a $900k pay raise for Goc. Doubled down to play in Fla.