HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Smyth Informs Kings He'd Prefer To Be Traded To Edmonton

Old
06-20-2011, 03:52 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

vCash: 500
It makes sense if the Kings can sign Richards but if they can't they just lost a quality top 6 forward for cap space in a time when there are very few quality forwards to spend the money on.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DropIt

Sounds like the Penner deal is about to even out again for LA. That cap number is horrendous

DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog S'loth View Post
Has anybody stopped to ask if this makes a lick of sense?

Why, precisely, would Smyth want to leave LA and go to Edmonton?

For a chance to win? For better weather? For a top-six role? Anything making one iota of sense about this? C'mon people... have at least a tiny sense of credulity...
Maybe he doesn't feel he has a chance at a cup in LA? Maybe he feels he has unfinished business in Edmonton? Maybe it would just really mean a lot to him to finish his career in Edmonton?

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Do it.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
foppagirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Yeah personally I believe he is Punking Bob McKenzie as well.

Here's all the proof you need that Ryan Smyth loved Edmonton:

Not saying I would expect it, but with the information we have I don't think its much of a leap of faith to believe that he misses the city and the team.
Exactly. It surprises me in the least to see Smyth's desire to go back to Edmonton. In fact, I hope a deal gets hammered out so he can return.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
karnige
Real Life FTL

Quote:

For a chance to win? For better weather? For a top-six role? Anything making one iota of sense about this? C'mon people... have at least a tiny sense of credulity...
he made the mistake of listening to his agent and **** hit the fan. he never wanted to leave. he would rather stay in edmonton then win a cup. goes to show you how loyal he is

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yog S'loth

Thanks rubes, I'm well aware of Smith's history playing for the Oilers in the past.

Think with your brains - not with your hearts.

This isn't the past... why would Smyth want to leave the Kings now, after two years of helping to build a winner and becoming an important part of that organization, to go back to the last-place Oilers? It doesn't make any logical sense. If he loves the team, he does what every ex-player in that situation does - returns after retiring to take a front-office job.

Other than your own personal feelings of nostalgia, what tangible, actual, literal reason could Smyth have for wanting to quit on the Kings and go to a last-place team?

Yog S'loth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 03:54 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I assumed no to the 2nd. And the 31st is too valuable a pick for Smyth at this point in his career with that contract. That pick gets first selection of the fallen projected 1st round guys after a full night of discussion with the scouts. Perhaps our 3rd instead of Calgary's might work though.
Maybe a 2012 second? To be honest as long as we shed a lot of salary, I couldn't care. The only thing Smyth is good at is sitting in front of a goalie tipping pucks and tapping in garbage. I think there are quite a few NHL players who have those skills as well as some other ones.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 03:56 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
Exactly. It surprises me in the least to see Smyth's desire to go back to Edmonton. In fact, I hope a deal gets hammered out so he can return.
Yep absolutely. I think he's seeing the rebuild go on and he's starting to really regret not coming back for it. Obviously he liked the city a lot as well, he doesn't seem like the type to get scared off by the cold and from what I hear from several natives, Edmontons an amazing place to live. I've always sorta supported the Oilers and was excited to see their young crop grow up, but now I'm really really pulling for them to win the cup in the next few years.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 03:56 PM
oilWILDcountry

Because maybe the Kings don't want to keep him? Wanna dump his salary+cap and he gets the hint of it, so he says he wants to come back to EDM.

It's not like there haven't been talks of Smyth leaving LA.

oilWILDcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 03:57 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Thanks rubes, I'm well aware of Smith's history playing for the Oilers in the past.

This isn't the past... why would Smyth want to leave the Kings now, after two years of helping to build a winner and becoming an important part of that organization, to go back to the last-place Oilers? It doesn't make any logical sense. If he loves the team, he does what every ex-player in that situation does - returns after retiring to take a front-office job.

Other than your own personal feelings of nostalgia, what tangible, actual, literal reason could Smyth have for wanting to quit on the Kings and go to a last-place team?
Are you really suggesting Bob Mckenzie is making it up? I think you are going to have a pretty tough argument on your hands if so. If Bob said it, it's fact. That's all there is to it.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 03:58 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

I don't see why this doesn't interest the Kings. You get tons of space to sign Brad Richards and Ville Leino as a UFA, you could just roll with:

Penner Richards Brown
Leino Kopitar Williams
Clifford Stoll Simmonds
Poni Lewis Richardson

Looks solid to me

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I have nothing against Smyth but will welcome the cap space. Brad Richards will be getting a serious phone call from Dean Lombardi in the not to distant future.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jamin

Quote:

Born in Alberta. Played in Edmonton from 1994 till he was traded. Family and friends live in Edmonton. Owns a restaurant and maybe other businesses but no none of those reasons make an iota of sense. I mean how is it possible someone wants to leave California, it just doesnt make sense...

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Sorry Ryan.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
karnige
Real Life FTL

Quote:

did you ever think that,that is the actual reason. his heart? ala stevie Y?

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 03:59 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

vCash: 855
Quote:
Well since he does seem to want to go back I guess you'd have to ask him that question.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
I don't see why this doesn't interest the Kings. You get tons of space to sign Brad Richards and Ville Leino as a UFA, you could just roll with:

Penner Richards Brown
Leino Kopitar Williams
Clifford Stoll Simmonds
Poni Lewis Richardson

Looks solid to me
Your lines are screwed up.

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Smyth's replacement-Richards-Brown
Clifford-Stoll-Simmonds
Richardson-Schenn-Lewis

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Johnny Utah

Kings don't need an D....Doughty, Johnson, Mitchell, Scuderi, Greene, Martinez, Drewiske and Hickey, Muzzin and Voynov waiting in the Wings.

We would def want a forward in return especially after losing Handzus and Poni to UFA and now possibly Smyth.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Backlund

vCash: 1263
I think it would be a good move for Edmonton. They are lacking leadership and thats what Smyth could bring to the table.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Interesting but not surprising as he always seemed to love playing there and played some of his best hockey there. Now it is more a matter of working out a deal and that is if the Oilers want him. Would be a nice leader to have around the team.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
hfboardsuser

Quote:
I'm sorry that you can't cope with the fact that loyalty can mean more than sandy beaches and Drew Doughty. Not everyone wants to spend their entire lives in Los Angeles. What about that doesn't make sense?

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:02 PM
bardfromedson

Quote:

because he is an alberta hick and wants to come back to where he belongs. brule for smyth. frees up cap space and LA can find some expensive ufa to replace him.

bardfromedson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I think Cogliano is a fair return for Smyth. Do Oilers fans know what Cogliano's salary demands are? He's been rather average, but I think he's a diamond in the rough who could still possibly breakout, at worst, we're looking at a solid 3rd liner with him. At best, maybe a 2nd liner.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:03 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post

Penner Richards Brown
Leino Kopitar Williams
Clifford Stoll Simmonds
Poni Lewis Richardson

Looks solid to me
Poni will never wear a Kings jersey again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Your lines are screwed up.

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Smyth's replacement-Richards-Brown
Clifford-Stoll-Simmonds
Richardson-Schenn-Lewis
So are yours.

Penner-Kopi-Williams
Leino/J. Jokinen (replace smyth)-Loktionov-Brown
Clifford-Stoll-Simmonds
Parse-Lewis-Richardson