HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Smyth Informs Kings He'd Prefer To Be Traded To Edmonton

Old
06-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Trollmark*

vCash: 500
Cogliano is a competent 3rd/4th line PKer with speed and youth to burn.

I love Smytty, but not for a future piece.

Trollmark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:04 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I think Cogliano is a fair return for Smyth. Do Oilers fans know what Cogliano's salary demands are? He's been rather average, but I think he's a diamond in the rough who could still possibly breakout, at worst, we're looking at a solid 3rd liner with him. At best, maybe a 2nd liner.

you could probably qualify him, or maybe a smallish raise (he made around 1 million last year). I bet he'd get no more than 1.5 for a short-term deal. He still hasn't figured out what he wants to do in the NHL.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Jamin

Id rather give up Brule over Cogs

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Johnny Utah

Kings would want a LW or C in return probably.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:06 PM
eberlehall*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
Lies, no one wants to come to Edmonton

eberlehall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:06 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Kings would want a LW or C in return probably.
We definitely don't want a center.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:09 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Yeah this should be great for Edmonton. He may not be the same player he was, but you can't pass up that valuable home grown leadership. Trevor Linden got to go home to Vancouver too to finish up his career and was a great asset for us, and Smyth is another classy guy who should get the same treatment with Edmonton.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Canuck and Bills Fan

This odd but great for Edmonton! As a Canuck fan I know this is weird but I find it hard to hate on Edmonton maybe because I just hate Calgary that much more. I do think this is the year Edmonton gets out of the basement and Ryan Smyth would be great going back to Edmonton!
Why not Horton for Smyth? The thing with LA is Trevor Lewis may be ready to step up to a top 6 role the addition of Horton putting him with Lewis might be an upgrade for LA. But this assuming Edmonton wants Smyth back (why not?)

Canuck and Bills Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Yog S'loth

It is precisely Smyth's reputation for loyalty and character that makes me believe that yes, Bob McKenzie is off the mark on this one. (Since when did any journalist become that infallible? Are you serious?)

Smyth has been credited from both within and without the LA organization as being instrumental in the Kings' turnaround. While his play on the ice naturally diminishes in effectiveness here in the twilight of his career, it is his overwhelming commitment to his team and his teammates that has helped the Kings process of transitioning into a future contender. You'd have to be daft not to see the effect it's had on Kopitar.

It is Smyth's "captainly" traits themselves that make this difficult to believe. Do you really think he would have his agent call Lombardi and ask to quit the team so he could be shipped off to a last-place team? Even if he is capable of loving all the wonderful side benefits living in Edmonton offers?

Yog S'loth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Drij

All he said was, If I'm going to be traded I would like to go to the Oilers.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

So did Smyth asks for a trade or did LA management ask him to waive if he wanted to go to Edmonton? I'm confused here. As a leaf fan, I'm hoping LA is stuck with him.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bob8880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck and Bills Fan View Post
This odd but great for Edmonton! As a Canuck fan I know this is weird but I find it hard to hate on Edmonton maybe because I just hate Calgary that much more. I do think this is the year Edmonton gets out of the basement and Ryan Smyth would be great going back to Edmonton!
Why not Horton for Smyth? The thing with LA is Trevor Lewis may be ready to step up to a top 6 role the addition of Horton putting him with Lewis might be an upgrade for LA. But this assuming Edmonton wants Smyth back (why not?)
Who is Horton?Do you mean Horcoff?

bob8880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck and Bills Fan View Post
Who the hell is Horton? Edmonton has no Horton. And Boston definitely isn't giving up Nathan Horton for Smyth.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Shmuffalo
It's SAMSON, bozo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post

"Well, about that. Look I'm not demanding to be traded or anything, but I may have accidentally told Bob Mckenzie already."

Sure sounds like a trade request to me...

He probably figures he is on the block regardless, so why not tell the GM of your preferences?

Shmuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:13 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going5Hole View Post
We are going to lose both Handzus and Smyth... who the he ll is going to be screening opposing goalies? Smyth was incredible at that.

All seriousness though, just give us our Penner 1st rounder back and we'll call it a day.
One year of Smyth at his cap hit isn't worth a first round pick. At all. Ever.

I like the Brule and Calgary's 3rd offer. Any more is overpayment for one year in my opinion.

Here's an interesting thought though...what if Edmonton doesn't want him? We already have Hall and Pajaarvi as our top 6 LW's, and I think the Oilers want Hartikainen on the main roster this year. Would they bring him in at that price for third line duties? In my opinion, only if the Kings take Souray (to buy out, or sit in the minors as a cash balance).

Here's an off the wall idea, and I'm not sure if I support it or not...Magnus Pajaarvi for Brayden Schenn and Ryan Smyth.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:14 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob8880 View Post
Who is Horton?Do you mean Horcoff?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Who the hell is Horton? Edmonton has no Horton. And Boston definitely isn't giving up Nathan Horton for Smyth.
Maybe he means Hartikainen? If so, not happening.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:21 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
So did Smyth asks for a trade or did LA management ask him to waive if he wanted to go to Edmonton? I'm confused here. As a leaf fan, I'm hoping LA is stuck with him.
Wow, bitter much? What's with the LA hate? Anyway, Kings are in a decent position. If we trade Smyth, we gain cap space with adding something from the Oilers, if we keep him, he's still a 20+ goal scorer, even if he's slowed down a bit. Win/win, IMO.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Pure

vCash: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
One year of Smyth at his cap hit isn't worth a first round pick. At all. Ever.

I like the Brule and Calgary's 3rd offer. Any more is overpayment for one year in my opinion.

Here's an interesting thought though...what if Edmonton doesn't want him? We already have Hall and Pajaarvi as our top 6 LW's, and I think the Oilers want Hartikainen on the main roster this year. Would they bring him in at that price for third line duties? In my opinion, only if the Kings take Souray (to buy out, or sit in the minors as a cash balance).

Here's an off the wall idea, and I'm not sure if I support it or not...Magnus Pajaarvi for Brayden Schenn and Ryan Smyth.
Awful. Smyth's value is probably negligible but not negative.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Maybe a 2012 second? To be honest as long as we shed a lot of salary, I couldn't care. The only thing Smyth is good at is sitting in front of a goalie tipping pucks and tapping in garbage. I think there are quite a few NHL players who have those skills as well as some other ones.
Lol, 2012 2nd could be 31st as well. But maybe. I think Smyth for Brule + a bit is a good start though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I think Cogliano is a fair return for Smyth. Do Oilers fans know what Cogliano's salary demands are? He's been rather average, but I think he's a diamond in the rough who could still possibly breakout, at worst, we're looking at a solid 3rd liner with him. At best, maybe a 2nd liner.
Cogs isn't good on the wings at all. Brule is a better option if LA wants a winger.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Wow, really helps LA's open some cap space up. His salary isn't that significant any more.

Linus Omark & Sheldon Souray, welcome to LA, err Manchester.
You really think your getting Omark?

Vdhawan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:23 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Wow, bitter much? What's with the LA hate? Anyway, Kings are in a decent position. If we trade Smyth, we gain cap space with adding something from the Oilers, if we keep him, he's still a 20+ goal scorer, even if he's slowed down a bit. Win/win, IMO.
As a Leaf fan he's worried about us having more money to throw at Richards

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:23 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Lol, 2012 2nd could be 31st as well. But maybe. I think Smyth for Brule + a bit is a good start though.
32nd at best. Florida will take over the 1st overall pick next year. But if Brule could work as a winger, I'll take him!

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
32nd at best. Florida will take over the 1st overall pick next year. But if Brule could work as a winger, I'll take him!
I think Florida will have the first overall pick next year as well. Brule for Smyth? done.

Ice Whole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:26 PM
eberlehall*

I don't mind getting Smyth back here, we have no cap issues at all this year and can afford him. After season is done sign him for a much cheaper deal. I remember Eberle talking about how he looked up to Smyth a lot in a interview.

eberlehall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:26 PM
TheSpaceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog S'loth View Post
It is precisely Smyth's reputation for loyalty and character that makes me believe that yes, Bob McKenzie is off the mark on this one. (Since when did any journalist become that infallible? Are you serious?)

Smyth has been credited from both within and without the LA organization as being instrumental in the Kings' turnaround. While his play on the ice naturally diminishes in effectiveness here in the twilight of his career, it is his overwhelming commitment to his team and his teammates that has helped the Kings process of transitioning into a future contender. You'd have to be daft not to see the effect it's had on Kopitar.

It is Smyth's "captainly" traits themselves that make this difficult to believe. Do you really think he would have his agent call Lombardi and ask to quit the team so he could be shipped off to a last-place team? Even if he is capable of loving all the wonderful side benefits living in Edmonton offers?
Smyth is from Alberta so I doubt he hates his home, family and where he spends his off season. Edmonton is not mordor... people born in Canada tend not to mind snow. Outdoor rinks are where most of us learned to skate. Its ingrained in our childhood.

Smyth might see the opportunity here because Edmonton is below the cap floor and LA needs space. He wants to finish his career at home, this is just opportunistic.

TheSpaceman is offline   Reply With Quote