HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Smyth Informs Kings He'd Prefer To Be Traded To Edmonton

Old
06-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Jamin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog S'loth View Post
It is precisely Smyth's reputation for loyalty and character that makes me believe that yes, Bob McKenzie is off the mark on this one. (Since when did any journalist become that infallible? Are you serious?)

Smyth has been credited from both within and without the LA organization as being instrumental in the Kings' turnaround. While his play on the ice naturally diminishes in effectiveness here in the twilight of his career, it is his overwhelming commitment to his team and his teammates that has helped the Kings process of transitioning into a future contender. You'd have to be daft not to see the effect it's had on Kopitar.

It is Smyth's "captainly" traits themselves that make this difficult to believe. Do you really think he would have his agent call Lombardi and ask to quit the team so he could be shipped off to a last-place team? Even if he is capable of loving all the wonderful side benefits living in Edmonton offers?
If its justified for Pronger to leave Edmonton because his family is not happy why is it so impossible that an Albertan born and raised with an Edmontonian wife and family. There were rumours in Edmonton his family wasnt happy with life in California, these were a few months ago so it doesnt seem so crazy to think for the happiness of his wife and kids he may betray his loyalty to a team he was on for 2 years compared with 13 years

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:54 PM
Mazokngstc

This makes sense from both sides here in LA, no idea if/what Edmonton would really do.

Smyth is likely looking at limited minutes here this year--Penner is going to get the nod for the top line, and I would think that Parse is headed to the 2nd, at least in training camp (DON'T SHOOT--obviously it remains to be seen if he holds up, but that's what he's here for). Clifford is already a tight lock on the 3rd, and I think he would get a look before Smyth on the 2nd after the playoffs he put up. Leaving Smyth on the 4th, by default, with a lack of linemate talent--bad news in a contract year.

From LA's side, there's no way they resign him, so make the most of the asset by trading. From Smyth's side, he's stuck on a team with some depth--if he's going to get one more good deal, he's got to do it in a place where he can expect to succeed, or at minimum bring fans to the arena. His agent isn't stupid--Edmonton is the absolute BEST place for his client to be this year. He'd be a fan favorite, if he has a decent year the Oilers are likely to overpay a little to keep him around to help with the kids, so to speak. I think this is coming from the agent, Smyth has been too classy in his time here to do things this way.

As to a return, I'd think that a few of the pieces that were offered but eventually rejected from the Penner deal could be swept together and shipped. LA needs a scoring forward, one that could fit into the youth movement, or futures--like a 2013 first. I think a quantity-for-quality move from Edmonton could also help, packaging Smyth and a couple of kids for a tangible NHL asset.

Mazokngstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Brule and a pick. Then the Kings can sign Jussi Jokinen or Ville Leino to replace Smyth and no...we will not sign Brad Richards.
Done as long as the pick isnt 31st overall. Last year it snagged Pitlick, there is always one first rounder who falls out of the round and is snatched up. Not worthing losing that for Smyth

Old
n00b1AnPr1nc355

The thing about this is, I think LA simply sees that they can replace smyth's 47 points for much much cheaper. Although the intangibles are not being considered they must think that with Richards and then a cheaper bottom six (sans Smyth) they have a good shot.

Brule could come very close to replacing Smyth's 47 points. Him with a draft pick could perhaps bring Smyth and a prospect back? Someone suggested Voynov, I cant see this happening. Although I would do something like this hands down.

n00b1AnPr1nc355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:56 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Done as long as the pick isnt 31st overall. Last year it snagged Pitlick, there is always one first rounder who falls out of the round and is snatched up. Not worthing losing that for Smyth
Works here. There's been rumblings of Dean wanting to trade back in to the 1st and the extra picks would help us do that.

CNS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
Should have never traded for this baby, even though we got him for nothing.

He wants to leave LA for Edmonton?

He's officially lost his mind. A few tweeks, and the LA Kings could find themselves in the finals.

But ok.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=928641

Since you missed the first 4 pages of the thread

Old
06-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Eberle2Hall2Net*

Quote:
Has anybody stopped to ask if this makes a lick of sense?

Why, precisely, would Smyth want to leave LA and go to Edmonton?

For a chance to win? For better weather? For a top-six role? Anything making one iota of sense about this? C'mon people... have at least a tiny sense of credulity...
this guy... has a brain.

why on earth didnt any1 else pick this up...? why would SMYTH wanna go back to edmonton? .. i to you sir.

Eberle2Hall2Net* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:58 PM
ItsTheBGB
WJC Pool Champ!

Quote:
Thanks rubes, I'm well aware of Smith's history playing for the Oilers in the past.

Think with your brains - not with your hearts.

This isn't the past... why would Smyth want to leave the Kings now, after two years of helping to build a winner and becoming an important part of that organization, to go back to the last-place Oilers? It doesn't make any logical sense. If he loves the team, he does what every ex-player in that situation does - returns after retiring to take a front-office job.

Other than your own personal feelings of nostalgia, what tangible, actual, literal reason could Smyth have for wanting to quit on the Kings and go to a last-place team?
The kings won't have a shot at the cup..... He could play for another 3-4 years and we should be competing by then. He wants to be happy, he wants fans that love him and love hockey....

ItsTheBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:59 PM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Carmoni View Post
never thought Id see someone want a trade to Edmonton
Im from edmonton and I agree with you for the most part over the past 10 years. However, I do feel that is going to change. Not like it will be a perennial mad rush to edmonton once july 1st comes but once the core of this team is developed a little more and they are putting winning seasons together, players are going to want to be a part of this club.

Not some eastern american kid growing up a bruins fan or anything but the next generation of guys like Doan, Smyth, Bouwmeister, etc. Local guys from the area that will want to be back here to play on a great team at home.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
maple8

Quote:
How many Stanley Cup rings does he have, again?

I again must assert - how can you add up all you know of Ryan Smyth and sum it to conclude that he would want to quit on his current team and be assured of not winning? How do you observe his character over the course of his career and conclude that he overtly and deliberately DOESN'T want to win?
Dude just admit that you just started watching hockey and had no idea that Ryan Smyth has a huge emotional connection to Edmonton and so you put your foot in your mouth with your first post about how this "makes no sense" so you're scrambling to not look stupid on an internet message board. Seriously, it's just the internet, it doesn't matter if you say something dumb here.

maple8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
eberlehall*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
Should have never traded for this baby, even though we got him for nothing.

He wants to leave LA for Edmonton?

He's officially lost his mind. A few tweeks, and the LA Kings could find themselves in the finals.

But ok.
Unreal how some hockey players want to play near where they were born and lived most of there lives.

Kings are more then a few tweeks away from the finals, even more so with Penner in that roster.

eberlehall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:00 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
LOOOOOOOOOOOL. what a story line.

why would smyth want to go to EDM, is the cup not important anymore??

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:02 PM
OneSharpMarble

Oilers wont give much for one year when they have no expectation of making the playoffs anyways. if you think they are giving up young pieces for Smyth you are dreaming. No chance the kings get a 1st rounder.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:03 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:

I again must assert - how can you add up all you know of Ryan Smyth and sum it to conclude that he would want to quit on his current team and be assured of not winning? How do you observe his character over the course of his career and conclude that he overtly and deliberately DOESN'T want to win?
having a shot at winning, would go a lot better, if the Kings could get pass the first round.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:05 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post

this seems like a perfect example of how one proves that not everyone's priorities are the same.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
oXo Cube
Termite

Send a message via Skype™ to oXo Cube
Quote:

Yes, In a bubble world where he has no ties to the city or team it would be logical to conclude that Smyth would have no interest in going to Edmonton.

Thanks for establishing that.

oXo Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post

Because the Kings are so close to hoisting the Cup?

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
zeus3007*

Quote:
Thanks rubes, I'm well aware of Smith's history playing for the Oilers in the past.

Think with your brains - not with your hearts.

This isn't the past... why would Smyth want to leave the Kings now, after two years of helping to build a winner and becoming an important part of that organization, to go back to the last-place Oilers? It doesn't make any logical sense. If he loves the team, he does what every ex-player in that situation does - returns after retiring to take a front-office job.

Other than your own personal feelings of nostalgia, what tangible, actual, literal reason could Smyth have for wanting to quit on the Kings and go to a last-place team?
You mean other than the ones already listed, lol?

Its easy to see. The dude wants to go home to play near his extended family. He wants to play where he dreamed of playing as a child, and where the best years of his career are. If the guy loves Edmonton, is it so hard to believe that he just isn't fond of Los Angeles (the city, not the Kings organization)? Its simple, he wants to go play where his heart is.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Kingsfan1

Andrew Cogliano and Ryan Jones

I remember reading somewhere earlier in the season that the Kings had interest in Ryan Jones, but i do not know where that stands after Clifford's emergence late in the season and in the playoffs.

Smyth is a great guy on and off the ice. He is a leader and can mentor the Kids in Edmonton.

He is still good for 20+ goals and is a great presence infront of the net.

He is not just a wash up player and the Kings need to upgrade or get something of value back. So don't lowball the proposals just because he asked for a trade.

That puts more pressure on Edmonton to get him because he will be good for the kids and who else would want to go to Edmonton ?

Dean can just not trade him and keep him around and let him walk after this year. He won't create a hole in our line-up and trade him just to trade him

Kingsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheBGB View Post
The kings won't have a shot at the cup..... He could play for another 3-4 years and we should be competing by then. He wants to be happy, he wants fans that love him and love hockey....
Oh that's cool that you can see into the future. Remember to only use this power for good!

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:08 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

Actually, if I am LA, I try to make Edmonton take Penner back as well, lol.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsfan1 View Post
Ryan Jones

Not going to happen, I would think. Edmonton lacks players like him.

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:10 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyEyezPK View Post
Because the Kings are so close to hoisting the Cup?
In relation to the Oilers, they're much closer.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:10 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
having a shot at winning, would go a lot better, if the Kings could get pass the first round.
I take it you have no idea what happened to the Kings' roster shortly before the playoffs started this year.

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsfan1 View Post
Andrew Cogliano and Ryan Jones

I remember reading somewhere earlier in the season that the Kings had interest in Ryan Jones, but i do not know where that stands after Clifford's emergence late in the season and in the playoffs.

Smyth is a great guy on and off the ice. He is a leader and can mentor the Kids in Edmonton.

He is still good for 20+ goals and is a great presence infront of the net.

He is not just a wash up player and the Kings need to upgrade or get something of value back. So don't lowball the proposals just because he asked for a trade.

That puts more pressure on Edmonton to get him because he will be good for the kids and who else would want to go to Edmonton ?

Dean can just not trade him and keep him around and let him walk after this year. He won't create a hole in our line-up and trade him just to trade him
Not sure if serious? The ink is still drying on Jones' extension and were gonna trade him a for a 35 year old who if he wants back as is being reported would just sign as a UFA next year? I dont see how this puts any pressure on Edmonton. LA can try to trade him to 28 other teams but his no-movement clause prevents it. So either Edmonton or a Smyth who wishes he was playing on a different team. Seems the pressure is on LA to trade him or make him happy