HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ottawa gets NASL franchise (soccer)

Old
06-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 500
Ottawa gets NASL franchise (soccer)

http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/06/20/...tawa-franchise

Will probably play in 2013/2014 when they finish renovating Lansdowne.

Last edited by Gil Gunderson: 06-20-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 06:45 PM
LeTigre

I give them 5-10 years max. A revitalized Lansdowne helps as far as drawing interest in the short term, but Jesus. History would indicate that Ottawa simply doesn't have enough committed sports fans to support another pro franchise long term, and they would compete for a market share with the return of the CFL franchise. Lets hope that the soccer factor trumps all and they establish their own niche within the city.

LeTigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

hopefully by Friday, the stingy ''Friends of The Glebe'' lawyers are finally out of the way, so we can FINALLY START DIGGING!

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:26 PM
sliceOFtrance

not bad. hopefully if there is enough support it can transfer into the MLS in years to come

sliceOFtrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:40 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
hopefully by Friday, the stingy ''Friends of The Glebe'' lawyers are finally out of the way, so we can FINALLY START DIGGING!
Seriously, let's get on with this!

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:32 PM
Vicarious

As much as I love soccer I don`t see this lasting. As if we couldn't get MLS instead. Which isn't much either, but its better than NASL, that's for sure.

Vicarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:03 AM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
It's like the B-Sens of soccer

Well I dunno but I'll try and get in a few games - support the team. Watched the Lynx dwindle away and die so I dunno about an NASL team.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:12 AM
obsenssive*

Send a message via MSN to obsenssive*
I live 5 minutes from lansdowne and I wouldn't even go if we had an MLS team. **** soccer.

obsenssive* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Mercurial
#lalala

vCash: 50
Then there's Capital City FC that just started up, they'll be done when this team starts.

This town only really cares about Hockey.

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:24 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTigre View Post
I give them 5-10 years max. A revitalized Lansdowne helps as far as drawing interest in the short term, but Jesus. History would indicate that Ottawa simply doesn't have enough committed sports fans to support another pro franchise long term, and they would compete for a market share with the return of the CFL franchise. Lets hope that the soccer factor trumps all and they establish their own niche within the city.
I am not sure how true that is for the most part football and soccer fans are different groups you don't have the same group supporting everything.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:25 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
Then there's Capital City FC that just started up, they'll be done when this team starts.

The fat cats gets for the level of baseball are doing well and capital city is doing ok attendance wise.

Old
06-21-2011, 08:48 AM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post

Well...having been to Frank Clair Stadium a number of times for CFL games, and considering we had the Rough Riders for over 100 years, I'd tend to disagree.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:32 AM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliceOFtrance View Post
not bad. hopefully if there is enough support it can transfer into the MLS in years to come
im hoping that. but people are already destroying the idea....
i wish they had a better mentality (lets say positive) and give this a chance or at least try to support.

Montreal, Vancouver were in this league and now are part of MLS. IF they could get some attention from fans, specially immigrants, who seems to love the sport, they could make this work.

the NASL sucks. but could be a nice step to a less thrashy league if they can jump.

(i still want CFL first)

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:45 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicarious View Post
As much as I love soccer I don`t see this lasting. As if we couldn't get MLS instead. Which isn't much either, but its better than NASL, that's for sure.
I don't think MLS hands out too many franchises without some proof the city has supported another pro team.

Toronto Lynx became Toronto FC
Vancouver Whitecaps came from USL
Portland Timbers came from USL
Seattle Sounders came from USL
Montreal Impact coming from USL/NASL

If you want an MLS franchise, support the NASL club.

And what's with all the "MLS isn't very good.", "NASL sucks." talk? What are you comparing it to? Because you can't compare it to the leagues from Europe you might tune in on Saturday mornings.

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:30 PM
Vicarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD View Post
And what's with all the "MLS isn't very good.", "NASL sucks." talk? What are you comparing it to? Because you can't compare it to the leagues from Europe you might tune in on Saturday mornings.
Yes I agree the club would need to be supported in order to grow into a potential MLS club. I don't tune into my European team on weekend mornings. I watched a lot of my teams games this year because I'm a dedicated fan of the team. MLS still has a lot to prove in the world of soccer as there is a reason it is known as a league where European players come to finish their careers.

Vicarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:16 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicarious View Post
MLS still has a lot to prove in the world of soccer as there is a reason it is known as a league where European players come to finish their careers.
MLS is known as the place where European players come to finish their careers by European media who don't watch the league and would rather the United States disappear from the soccer world altogether.

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:31 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

I'll probably support this team. I'd really like Ottawa to have an MLS team somewhere down the road so this will be important for the process. I'm not into baseball so having this team and the CFL back will be nice to have something to follow in the summer.

Plus, its another event for me to get belligerently drunk in public at... maybe sing some songs. Good times.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Gil Gunderson

This city needs some kind of championship. It's been way too long, in any sport.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:37 PM
backdoorpass

i like the idea of it i mean i would rather mls but its a start, tons of kids play soccer and with the amount of imigration or heritage from italian ect i could see people supporting it, and the games are fun if the fans are into it. There wont be to many games a summer as well like a hockey season which makes it eaasier

backdoorpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:56 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD View Post
I don't think MLS hands out too many franchises without some proof the city has supported another pro team.

Toronto Lynx became Toronto FC
Vancouver Whitecaps came from USL
Portland Timbers came from USL
Seattle Sounders came from USL
Montreal Impact coming from USL/NASL

If you want an MLS franchise, support the NASL club.

Toronto really did not support the lynx all that well i beleave they were one of the worst supported teams in the league.

Old
06-22-2011, 12:07 PM
mianjo

Capital City FC 2 for the price of one coupon

http://www.groupon.com/deals/capital...tawa?c=dnb&p=2

• For $13, you get two adult admissions (a $27 value, including HST and service fees).
• For $22, you get a family pack, including admission for two adults and two children (a $45 total value, including HST and service fees).

mianjo is offline   Reply With Quote