HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Scott Gomez

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-20-2011, 08:41 PM
  #1
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,769
vCash: 500
Scott Gomez

19 teams have to reach the new cap floor. All of a sudden huge cap hit smaller salary contracts have taken a boost in value. Anyone want him? I'm sure a lot of you will say no way, but your owners and GMs will take Gomez whether you like it or not.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:45 PM
  #2
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love
 
HockeyFanSince86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Home of 13 Cups
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,442
vCash: 500
Value of a Gomez is a Drury, maybe even as high up as a Luongo.

HockeyFanSince86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:46 PM
  #3
Heaters not lazt*
 
Heaters not lazt*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
19 teams have to reach the new cap floor. All of a sudden huge cap hit smaller salary contracts have taken a boost in value. Anyone want him? I'm sure a lot of you will say no way, but your owners and GMs will take Gomez whether you like it or not.
Yeah, seems like wishful thinking on your part. Think of it this way... If Gomez was a free agent, would you offer him a 3-year 17.5M contract? Probably not, and neither would anyone else. I can't imagine an owner being happy about paying 7.5M (his salary next season) for a guy that just scored 7 goals in 87 games, and wasn't exactly short on playing time.

Maybe you will find someone to take him, but it's likely you're taking a bad contract in return

Heaters not lazt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:52 PM
  #4
TrollololBoyle
Registered User
 
TrollololBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
19 teams have to reach the new cap floor. All of a sudden huge cap hit smaller salary contracts have taken a boost in value. Anyone want him? I'm sure a lot of you will say no way, but your owners and GMs will take Gomez whether you like it or not.


Simple solution for those teams. Sign FAs to frontloaded contracts. The FA gets their money sooner, and the cap hit helps the team. Gomez and other players like Gomez stay where they are.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:01 PM
  #5
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie
 
Beezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Country: Brazil
Posts: 6,511
vCash: 500
Montreal needs to send their 2011 1st rounder along with Gomez and receive nothing in return because Gomez has negative value right now. And yeah it's that negative.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:02 PM
  #6
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Montreal needs to send their 2011 1st rounder along with Gomez and receive nothing in return because Gomez has negative value right now. And yeah it's that negative.
I cant wait till Tallon takes him and gives back value because no Free agents want to sign with the panthers and they need 30 million just to reach the floor.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:02 PM
  #7
OnlyTheBrave*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
Teams can reach the cap floor by signing a bunch of guys for 1yr to fill a role. Not sign the worst contract in the NHL and then be stuck with him for the length of his deal.

I'd rather sign 3-4 players that can fill a role the team needs that equal the total of Gomez.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:03 PM
  #8
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
I cant wait till Tallon takes him and gives back value because no Free agents want to sign with the panthers and they need 30 million just to reach the floor.
Did you guys recently hire Sather as your GM or something?

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:11 PM
  #9
Halifaxhab*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Montreal needs to send their 2011 1st rounder along with Gomez and receive nothing in return because Gomez has negative value right now. And yeah it's that negative.
just like Tallon would have to add Ellerby with Olesz to anyone for a 7th just to dump him?

Gomez will stay in MTL and will get bought out during the free period to buyout between CBA's or traded when his cap hit is greater than his salary

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:14 PM
  #10
Krnage
Registered User
 
Krnage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fermont
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,249
vCash: 400
Value of Gomez: 8 milion $

Krnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:14 PM
  #11
Robert Theodorson
Registered User
 
Robert Theodorson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,347
vCash: 500
Serious question?

A 7th rounder or conditional pick or very low-grade prospect. As said earlier Florida is really the only team that can take him and not suffer a great deal due to him simply being on the NHL roster.

I don't think 29 other teams could handle his contract or even ice him in the big leagues without feeling cheated.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:16 PM
  #12
Heaters not lazt*
 
Heaters not lazt*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
just like Tallon would have to add Ellerby with Olesz to anyone for a 7th just to dump him?

Gomez will stay in MTL and will get bought out during the free period to buyout between CBA's or traded when his cap hit is greater than his salary
Olesz buyout: 1.6M
Gomez buyout: 16M

Huh, lil bit of a difference, eh?

Heaters not lazt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:17 PM
  #13
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 13,865
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyder1 View Post
Yeah, seems like wishful thinking on your part. Think of it this way... If Gomez was a free agent, would you offer him a 3-year 17.5M contract? Probably not, and neither would anyone else. I can't imagine an owner being happy about paying 7.5M (his salary next season) for a guy that just scored 7 goals in 87 games, and wasn't exactly short on playing time.

Maybe you will find someone to take him, but it's likely you're taking a bad contract in return
Great Analysis Hansel.

Please no one pay attention to what he said.

Fact is his $$$ is going to be less than his cap hit for the next seasons, Plus he isnt made to score... He is made to pass. Take a look at his Assists instead.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:19 PM
  #14
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 13,865
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post


Simple solution for those teams. Sign FAs to frontloaded contracts. The FA gets their money sooner, and the cap hit helps the team. Gomez and other players like Gomez stay where they are.
Hey that is great and all but who are these FAs that will go to Failing franchise of the 2000s as a UFA ? Good luck finding them already that the UFA Pool is razor thin.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:20 PM
  #15
Krnage
Registered User
 
Krnage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fermont
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,249
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Serious question?

A 7th rounder or conditional pick or very low-grade prospect. As said earlier Florida is really the only team that can take him and not suffer a great deal due to him simply being on the NHL roster.

I don't think 29 other teams could handle his contract or even ice him in the big leagues without feeling cheated.
give them 7th rounder,,,,habs a pretty goood with late round pick

Krnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:20 PM
  #16
OnlyTheBrave*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
I cant wait till Tallon takes him and gives back value because no Free agents want to sign with the panthers and they need 30 million just to reach the floor.
And you think no one wants to sign in Florida because of what? Because YOU think they won't?

This is just me toying around...

Quote:
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
David Booth ($4.250m) / Stephen Weiss ($3.100m) / Nicklas Bergfors ($2.500m)
Quinton Howden ($1.100m) / Mike Santorelli ($2.500m) / Evgeni Dadonov ($0.875m)
Rostislav Olesz ($3.125m) / Shawn Matthias ($1.900m) / Chuck Kobasew ($1.250m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.400m) / Scott Timmins ($0.761m) / Jack Skille ($0.825m)

DEFENSEMEN
Ed Jovanovski ($4.500m) / Dmitri Kulikov ($1.325m)
Mike Weaver ($0.900m) / Ian White ($3.500m)
Jordan Hendry ($1.700m) / Keaton Ellerby ($0.787m)
/ Jason Garrison ($0.675m)

GOALTENDERS
Scott Clemmensen ($1.200m) / Jacob Markstrom ($1.300m)

BUYOUTS: Ville Koistinen ($0.466m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $40,940,834; BONUSES: $1,417,500
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $18,459,166
Obviously they could go after players and over pay them, but I would much rather over pay a player for 1 season then be stuck with the Gomez contract.

Face it, your GM traded for that clown, you guys are stuck with him unless the Habs send a 1st rounder and something else WITH Gomez. Even then, teams would still be weary. The Panthers are better off trading FOR Drury who has 1 year left than going after Gomez who has 3yrs left.

Here is their cap if they trade for Drury and sign Gudbranson to a pretty hefty deal.

Quote:
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
David Booth ($4.250m) / Stephen Weiss ($3.100m) / Nicklas Bergfors ($2.000m)
Rostislav Olesz ($3.125m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Evgeni Dadonov ($0.875m)
Scott Timmins ($0.761m) / Mike Santorelli ($2.500m) / Jack Skille ($0.825m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.350m) / Shawn Matthias ($1.850m) / Chuck Kobasew ($0.950m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dmitri Kulikov ($1.325m) / Mike Weaver ($0.900m)
Ed Jovanovski ($4.000m) / Jason Garrison ($0.675m)
Keaton Ellerby ($0.787m)

GOALTENDERS
Scott Clemmensen ($1.200m) / Jacob Markstrom ($1.300m)

BUYOUTS: Ville Koistinen ($0.466m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $39,290,834; BONUSES: $1,217,500
CAP SPACE (19-man roster): $20,109,166
Add Gudbranson at the full rookie cap hit of 3.55m.

It can be done, just me toying around of course. Hell if they can get Wolski from the Rangers and Drury for a pick and whatever, that's around 10.9m from the Rangers added to the Panthers. 3.8+3.55 (Gudbranson) brings them to 7.35 + 39,290,000 = 46.64m


Last edited by OnlyTheBrave*: 06-20-2011 at 09:28 PM.
OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:20 PM
  #17
Heaters not lazt*
 
Heaters not lazt*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Great Analysis Hansel.

Please no one pay attention to what he said.

Fact is his $$$ is going to be less than his cap hit for the next seasons, Plus he isnt made to score... He is made to pass. Take a look at his Assists instead.
2011-2012 - 7.5M
2012-2013 - 5.5M
2013-2014 - 4.5M

what was incorrect?

Another fact you left out, any offensive player playing 18+ minutes per game, scoring 7 goals, isn't worth 4.5M. But go ahead, stay positive

PS: 34 assists isn't impressive for a guy making 7.5M.

Heaters not lazt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:24 PM
  #18
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 13,865
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyder1 View Post
2011-2012 - 7.5M
2012-2013 - 5.5M
2013-2014 - 4.5M

what was incorrect?

Another fact you left out, any offensive player playing 18+ minutes per game, scoring 7 goals, isn't worth 4.5M. But go ahead, stay positive

PS: 34 assists isn't impressive for a guy making 7.5M.
So how was giving up your best Non NHL prospect and one of your 1rst for a 6th D-Man ?

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:25 PM
  #19
Heaters not lazt*
 
Heaters not lazt*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
So how was giving up your best Non NHL prospect and one of your 1rst for a 6th D-Man ?
I'm not exactly sure what that has to do with this thread, to be completely honest.

Heaters not lazt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:26 PM
  #20
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 13,865
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
And you think no one wants to sign in Florida because of what? Because YOU think they won't?

This is just me toying around...

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
David Booth ($4.250m) / Stephen Weiss ($3.100m) / Nicklas Bergfors ($2.500m)
Quinton Howden ($1.100m) / Mike Santorelli ($2.500m) / Evgeni Dadonov ($0.875m)
Rostislav Olesz ($3.125m) / Shawn Matthias ($1.900m) / Chuck Kobasew ($1.250m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.400m) / Scott Timmins ($0.761m) / Jack Skille ($0.825m)

DEFENSEMEN
Ed Jovanovski ($4.500m) / Dmitri Kulikov ($1.325m)
Mike Weaver ($0.900m) / Ian White ($3.500m)
Jordan Hendry ($1.700m) / Keaton Ellerby ($0.787m)
/ Jason Garrison ($0.675m)

GOALTENDERS
Scott Clemmensen ($1.200m) / Jacob Markstrom ($1.300m)

BUYOUTS: Ville Koistinen ($0.466m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $40,940,834; BONUSES: $1,417,500
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $18,459,166

Obviously they could go after players and over pay them, but I would much rather over pay a player for 1 season then be stuck with the Gomez contract.

Face it, your GM traded for that clown, you guys are stuck with him unless the Habs send a 1st rounder and something else WITH Gomez. Even then, teams would still be weary. The Panthers are better off trading FOR Drury who has 1 year left than going after Gomez who has 3yrs left.
Wrong and it wasn't him that gave him that contract.

Well i mean of course the Pathers fans dont want a winning team so they dont make stupid pressure moves like Bob did.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:26 PM
  #21
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,578
vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyder1 View Post
2011-2012 - 7.5M
2012-2013 - 5.5M
2013-2014 - 4.5M

what was incorrect?

Another fact you left out, any offensive player playing 18+ minutes per game, scoring 7 goals, isn't worth 4.5M. But go ahead, stay positive

PS: 34 assists isn't impressive for a guy making 7.5M.
To be fair his point was the owners would pay less the following seasons yet Gomez would retain his enormous cap hit. This is a benefit for those needing to reach the floor but do not wish to shell out millions extra in order to do so. You may laugh however Florida is hardly close to a competitive team in the foreseeable future and Gomez's contract would long be over before they ever are. Thus it suits their current predicament. Regardless, I do not believe he will be moved unless Montreal adds, albeit no not a first.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:27 PM
  #22
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 13,865
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyder1 View Post
I'm not exactly sure what that has to do with this thread, to be completely honest.
Just pointing out that you got fleeced in a trade like we did thats all.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:28 PM
  #23
Csonked Out
Registered User
 
Csonked Out's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 1,890
vCash: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
So how was giving up your best Non NHL prospect and one of your 1rst for a 6th D-Man ?
If your going to burn a team fan with a bad trade, you may not want to pick one that just won the CUP last week....FYI.

Csonked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:28 PM
  #24
Heaters not lazt*
 
Heaters not lazt*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Just pointing out that you got fleeced in a trade like we did thats all.
That's nice. Feel better now?

Heaters not lazt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:29 PM
  #25
OnlyTheBrave*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Wrong and it wasn't him that gave him that contract.

Well i mean of course the Pathers fans dont want a winning team so they dont make stupid pressure moves like Bob did.
No, you're wrong.

I said it was the Habs GM that traded for Gomez, I never said signed, I said traded.

Gomez was signed by Sather, but Gainey traded for Gomez.

So um, what are you going on about?

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.