HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Former Bruin's GM Mike O'Connell Has Strong Words For Thornton

Old
06-17-2011, 05:23 PM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

vCash: 500
Former Bruin's GM Mike O'Connell Has Strong Words For Thornton

Says the Bruins would not have won the Cup with Joe Thornton and feels vindicated in the Joe Thornton trade since the Bruins won the Cup before San Jose.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2011/06/1...before-sharks/

The Dangley One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:26 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
And this is why part of me really wanted Vancouver to win... Sigh.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:27 PM
hockeyball

What a moron. No wonder he was fired.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:33 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

EXCELLENT

Angry Joe has been awakened for all of next season + playoffs.

WOOHOO

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:40 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
we are SO winning the Cup next year!

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Tomahawk214
i'm not even mad

Go **** yourself O'Connell.

Tomahawk214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:44 PM
Markus
Registered Lurker

On a related note, my ex-wife is now relatively happy with her new husband. I now feel vindicated that my marriage was a success.

Markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kitten Mittons

There's nothing wrong with what he said. He said he didn't feel like Thornton could've lead this team to victory, hence he feels good knowing that they managed to do it without him. In the cap world, Bruins had 7 extra million to spread around.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TrappedInFullerton
Murray SMASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
Yup, this was what I was thinking too. What a ******. Still upset he made a horrible trade.

TrappedInFullerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
As if Thornton needs more motivation...

Let's see, he's going to be 32 years old next year with probably 3-4 more elite years left, Boston won a cup, O'Connell opens his mouth, and he knows his choker rep won't go away until he wins a cup.

The best case scenario is before next year's playoffs, O'Connell disses Thornton again, Roenick calls Marleau gutless again, and Melnyk goes Dan Gilbert on Dany Heatley.

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 06:05 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
Why? O'Connell was canned long ago. Without caring enough to go look up the roster compared to MOC's firing date, I'd have to guess that at least 70% of the bruins roster was assembled by post-O'Connell management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
On a related note, my ex-wife is now relatively happy with her new husband. I now feel vindicated that my marriage was a success.
holy ****, you're alive!

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 06:12 PM
5H4RK5

Joe did not play superb defense before. He has improved in SJ. Jumbo just needs to do his part and if the rest of the team fits our style we have a chance at the hockeys ultimate prize. Living in the past is why some aren't at work right now.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 06:13 PM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

he's actually responsible for Bergeron, Krejci, Thomas, Kessel (Seguin), Lucic and Marchand

Old
06-17-2011, 06:17 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballershotcaller12 View Post
he's actually responsible for Bergeron, Krejci, Thomas, Kessel (Seguin), Lucic and Marchand
he's not responsible for Seguin any more than Jack Ferriera is responsible for Joe Thornton because he drafted Viktor Kolov.

So that makes 5 players out of a roster of 23, or just over 20%

The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 06:20 PM
Lockout Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
There's nothing wrong with what he said. He said he didn't feel like Thornton could've lead this team to victory, hence he feels good knowing that they managed to do it without him. In the cap world, Bruins had 7 extra million to spread around.
Sturm, Stuart, and Primeau played for -$333k?

7150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 06:22 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7150 View Post
Sturm, Stuart, and Primeau played for -$333k?
For like 2 seasons.

It was a terrible trade, no doubt; but I dunno why people get all up in arms.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 06:26 PM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
he's not responsible for Seguin any more than Jack Ferriera is responsible for Joe Thornton because he drafted Viktor Kolov.

So that makes 5 players out of a roster of 23, or just over 20%
i'd say he deserves more credit than simply 4% for each player. Thomas and Rask should not be both worth the same pct. neither should Krejci who was the leading pt getting in the playoffs. those are arguably 5/6 of their most important players in the playoffs where a direct result of him

Old
06-17-2011, 06:28 PM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
For like 2 seasons.

It was a terrible trade, no doubt; but I dunno why people get all up in arms.
Because it's a team game and to single out Thornton isn't fair. There's a lot of things that need to break right to win a cup. If Boston lost game 7, O'Connell wouldn't have opened his mouth and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Old
06-17-2011, 06:48 PM
matt trick

"But, but we signed Chara with that seven million"? Hmmm, how'd you manage to keep Savard, Sturm, Stuart, and Primeau than? So stupid. They won in large part because of Chara, but they could've easily kept Thornton and Chara.

Also, MOC is a moron....than again, that's pretty obvious. The best argument MOC has is to say, if it weren't for the Thornton trade, I would have remained GM for additional time, further running the team into the ground.

Still prefer Boston winning to Vancouver.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 06:50 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
Because it's a team game and to single out Thornton isn't fair. There's a lot of things that need to break right to win a cup. If Boston lost game 7, O'Connell wouldn't have opened his mouth and we wouldn't be having this conversation.
It's a team game, and while I agree that the then Boston mindset is anything but team, JT's presence took it to the nth degree. There have been other departure's beyond MOC in the Bruins front office since that time. After hearing the mindset of others in their front office, they wouldn't have won with God leading the team.

It is not JT himself so much as the misguided conception of many in the hockey community that a Messier, Gretzky, etc. will lead a team to the promised land. It takes away from the team focus of individual players having to contribute their share, a kind of "Let Joe do it" mentality. I cringe whenever a Sharks fan goes off on JT leading the Sharks to the promised land as if he was the only one on the team and otherwise as if he has nothing to do with the shortcomings that the Sharks experience. The same applies to Boyle or Clowe or any other perceived leaders on the team. All players have positives and negatives.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Boston won because he is no longer at the helm ... friggin' loser.

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
It's a team game, and while I agree that the then Boston mindset is anything but team, JT's presence took it to the nth degree. There have been other departure's beyond MOC in the Bruins front office since that time. After hearing the mindset of others in their front office, they wouldn't have won with God leading the team.

It is not JT himself so much as the misguided conception of many in the hockey community that a Messier, Gretzky, etc. will lead a team to the promised land. It takes away from the team focus of individual players having to contribute their share, a kind of "Let Joe do it" mentality. I cringe whenever a Sharks fan goes off on JT leading the Sharks to the promised land as if he was the only one on the team and otherwise as if he has nothing to do with the shortcomings that the Sharks experience. The same applies to Boyle or Clowe or any other perceived leaders on the team. All players have positives and negatives.
Exactly. Thornton's not the sole reason the Sharks win but he's not the sole reason the Sharks lose like the media keeps spouting. Just like Toews wouldn't be called the great savior without Keith, Kane, and the rest of that deep roster. Crosby wouldn't have won without Malkin and Fleury. Ovechkin isn't gonna win jack until Backstrom and Green get their heads out of their *****. It's a team game so it's tiring when Thornton gets all the blame for failing or Toews gets the accolades for winning. I've said before I'm not even a big Thornton fan but this double standard is annoying.

edit- and to add to the team concept, we know how important Bolland, Buff and the rest of the role players were to Chicago and Talbot,Orpik, and the rest of Pittsburgh's role players. The part above kinda highlighted the star players but the role players have to step up too.

Last edited by Negatively Positive: 06-17-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old
06-17-2011, 07:21 PM
KzooShark

And that's why O'Connell is still "Former Bruins' GM" instead of "Current ______'s GM". No one's thinking, "Man, he got a bad rap. I should offer him my open GM position"

And given that his current position is "Director of Pro Development" for the LA Kings, who Joe Thornton eliminated with an OT goal after dominating his squad, maybe Mikey should go get former Sharks' GM Dean Lombardi another coffee and shut up.

KzooShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:43 PM
rangerssharks414

I hope Joe read this/heard about this. Angry Joe plays a lot better than non-angry Joe.

None of those players he traded for are on the team anymore. Sturm was the last one, and he was hurt all the time.

This was one of the reasons why I wanted Vancouver to win.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:12 PM
Ten Thousand Hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballershotcaller12 View Post
He wasn't there for Lucic, Kessel or Marchand. He was fired before the 2006 offseason (and before that draft), and Jeff Gorton was our interim GM when we drafted Kessel, Lucic and Marchand (and when we signed Chara and Savvy and traded Raycroft for Rask).

Ten Thousand Hours is offline   Reply With Quote