2011 Winnipeg Blue Bombers Season Thread

Old
06-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
The only problem I have with the Jyles trade is that I am certainly not as sold on Elliot as you. Elliot was alright, but certainly did not stand out to me. I know he was a rookie with only a few weeks experience at that time, but I think that with a brittle starter a veteran backup is a must. Let Elliot get his experience on the bench this year, I like bringing QB's along slowly, ala BC with Lulay and Pierce. That is the way to develop QB's, IMO. I hoped the BB would bring in a Zabransky at least to add some depth at that position.
Yikes. Zabransky is just as unproven as Joey Elliott. That's your suggestion for a veteran backup?

Quote:
First of all, let's get something straight. Glenn January is a useless tool. The guy simply cannot play football. Drop him right now. He cannot make reads, cannot get downfield, straight up cannot block. In my 15 years of watching the BB play, the last 7 of which I have never missed a game during which we have had some awful o-lines I have never seen a worse o-lineman import or non-import.
You have to be mistaking January for someone else. He's a very competent lineman.

Quote:
About using two imports on the line, I think only Hamilton and Winnipeg do this. This is why guys like Gauthier and Bourke are so huge. And why Scott Mitchell should have been the Bombers first overall selection. The guy is going to be a hell of a player and huge for the ratio out in Edmonton now. Other than Shea Emry I cannot think of a single starting NI LB, Muamba better turn out well. I was not happy with that pick.
The only teams who don't run two imports at the tackle spots are Montreal and Saskatchewan. Toronto may not either.

As for starting NI linebackers? Don't forget about Pottinger or Eiben.

Gonna have to bring your game better than that, my friend.

Jet Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Noeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
The only problem I have with the Jyles trade is that I am certainly not as sold on Elliot as you. Elliot was alright, but certainly did not stand out to me. I know he was a rookie with only a few weeks experience at that time, but I think that with a brittle starter a veteran backup is a must. Let Elliot get his experience on the bench this year, I like bringing QB's along slowly, ala BC with Lulay and Pierce. That is the way to develop QB's, IMO. I hoped the BB would bring in a Zabransky at least to add some depth at that position.

What exactly would Jared Zanbransky bring?? "Experience" is a word that people like to toss around liberally, but experience losing or experience not proving anything, doesn't do me any good. I would much rather have the guys that OUR management believes in and groom them with OUR coaches in OUR system. Picking up re-treads doesn't do you any good, and a guy like JZ, specifically, is not going to do anything as a fill-in that Joey Elliot or Alex Brink can't.

First of all, let's get something straight. Glenn January is a useless tool. The guy simply cannot play football. Drop him right now. He cannot make reads, cannot get downfield, straight up cannot block. In my 15 years of watching the BB play, the last 7 of which I have never missed a game during which we have had some awful o-lines I have never seen a worse o-lineman import or non-import.

Glenn January isn't a great OL, but he's also not horrible. C'mon, we had Jermese Jones, for goodness sake. You wanna talk about turnstile OL, that's where you start. By all accounts, January has been keeping up to Kelly Butler through camp and making it a very difficult decision. That says a lot to me, because I believe Butler is a gooder, too.

About using two imports on the line, I think only Hamilton and Winnipeg do this. This is why guys like Gauthier and Bourke are so huge. And why Scott Mitchell should have been the Bombers first overall selection. The guy is going to be a hell of a player and huge for the ratio out in Edmonton now. Other than Shea Emry I cannot think of a single starting NI LB, Muamba better turn out well. I was not happy with that pick.

First off, almost all teams are using two import tackles now. BC, Calgary, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Toronto...just off the top of my head. It's an outdated mythology that you have to stack the OL with NI's because there aren't enough NI's that can play other positions well enough to fill out your Starting 7. Having guys like Muamba, who was a concensus #1 pick, btw, and DL like Donny Alphabet will be ratio breakers. It's just not necessary to have an All Canadian OL anymore. That was a long time ago. Also, Etienne/Poblah/Watson will help with the ratio, from the offensive side of the ball.

This is problem though. Pierce is a guy who just gets injured. It doesn't matter that it was a fluke. Call it bad luck, but some guys just attract injuries and Pierce is one, and like you said you cannot tell him to tone it down or he will become ineffective. I have no doubt Pierce plays only 12-13 games this season, and that's the problem.

I agree -- Pierce finds a way to get injured every year, and I'm not foolish enough to think that BP is going to play 18+ games, but that's why I have faith in Joey Elliot, and, moreso, the talent around them. If BP plays 10-12 games through the regular season, we'll make playoffs pretty easily and then we'll worry about the rest when we get there.

I really think Perry Floyd is going to have an impact on offense as well, as well as Hargreaves should be given a chance to start. The real question mark is Etienne. Bombers swung for the fences in this draft first by passing on Mitchell to get Muamba, then passing on Nathan Coehorne to get Etienne. Etienne is 6'3'', 170lbs he is going to get pushed around in the CFL, we will see if he can adapt.

Etienne was not drafted to start this year. He was drafted because he's going to have a long and productive career in the CFL. He's only 21 and only has one year of receiver under his belt. If the kid produces ANYTHING in his first year, it's total gravy. Perry Floyd might contribute on offense, but the question is how to work him onto the roster. Possible that he'll be a DI, but, again, that remains to be seen.

I am almost never concerned with DE on the Bombers they always have guys to step. Canada, Walls, Ellis, Hunt, Willis they just manage to find the guys to bring heat off the edge. Brown, Smith, Oramasionwu is best 1-2-3 punch at DT in the league, IMO. I haven't seen much of this McCoy, but it Lobendahn I am worried about. He is a beast in the run game, but is completely useless on passing downs. Even Barrin Simpson was decent in patrolling the middle of the field on passing downs, Lobendahn is just waay too slow. Even on outside runs he is often too late. Bowman and Kent offer lots of speed and skill at OLB. Not sure about where Muamba will fit in.

Again, I really think people under-rate JoLo on account of his injuries. When healthy, he's a dominant LB both in the run game and passing game. The only question is whether or not he can stay healthy, but I'm okay with whatever happens because of Rico McCoy, and Muamba could probably spell him off in a pinch. The OLB is going to be a treat to watch this year. Tons of speed and always around the ball.

I agree the secondary is as good as it's been since the Boldin days (man that guy was unreal) and it along with the defense will carry this team.

The defense is going to be great, no question, but the offense SHOULD be carrying the team. The sheer volume of talent that we have at Receiver and RB is the best we've had in many many years.

I am just unsure of what to make of this team. The NI depth is MUCH improved, and there seems to be plenty of talent all around but we will see I guess.
I'm an optimist, and see no sense in being negative for the sake of being negative. That said, I look up and down this roster and don't see how it's possible for us to be a poor team this year, even if BP goes down (...when...?) There's just too much talent at all positions, but we'll definitely know more once the bullets start flying on July 1.

Noeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Hank Chinaski

vCash: 50
I freaking love this. Die-hard Bomber fans here.

The main football board has been a wasteland for good CFL discussion.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

Noeller and I are probably two of the biggest diehard Bomber fans you'll meet.

Old
06-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Noeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Bomber View Post
Noeller and I are probably two of the biggest diehard Bomber fans you'll meet.
I've been arguing at OurBombers.com and CFLZone.com since about 2003 against the hardest of hardcore CFL fans. This place'll be a piece of cake Love being able to talk Hockey and CFL all in one place. Gonna be a blast to hang out here more!

Old
06-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noeller View Post
I've been arguing at OurBombers.com and CFLZone.com since about 2003 against the hardest of hardcore CFL fans. This place'll be a piece of cake Love being able to talk Hockey and CFL all in one place. Gonna be a blast to hang out here more!
I wonder if the mods here are as lax as they are at Ourbombers. I hope so.

Old
06-22-2011, 04:08 PM
Hank Chinaski

LOL does Nasty Nate still post there?

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 04:08 PM
Noeller

Quote:
I wonder if the mods here are as lax as they are at Ourbombers. I hope so.
I think the only Mod running the ship over there is ol' Mike, but Colin's as tight and conservative as it gets. He runs a pretty tight ship. :s I'm a big fan of CFLZone which is the Wild West of message boards. Nobody gets offended, and if you don't bring your A-Game to an argument, you're gonna get run outta town pretty quickly. That's how the intertubes are meant to be

Old
06-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
I think the only Mod running the ship over there is ol' Mike, but Colin's as tight and conservative as it gets. He runs a pretty tight ship. :s I'm a big fan of CFLZone which is the Wild West of message boards. Nobody gets offended, and if you don't bring your A-Game to an argument, you're gonna get run outta town pretty quickly. That's how the intertubes are meant to be
That guy is a doofus.

Old
06-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Noeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
LOL does Nasty Nate still post there?
He's over at GoStampsGo now, 'cause he was run outta OB.com. Basically, his massive hatred for Lyle Bauer forced him to follow LB over to GSG. Good ol' Morris...he's a crazy sum*****.

Old
06-22-2011, 04:10 PM
Noeller

Quote:
That guy is a doofus.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I see what ya did there.

Old
06-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I see what ya did there.

This is going to be my home board for Jets talk. I got permanently banned from Jetsowner and Ourjets just isn't active enough for me.

Old
06-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Noeller

Quote:

This is going to be my home board for Jets talk. I got permanently banned from Jetsowner and Ourjets just isn't active enough for me.
Lol -- banned by DF. Awesome. Yeah, this is the best board for hockey talk, IMO. I'm pretty sure Dave is kicking around here someplace, but he says "...there's too many threads with too many idiots to correct, and I just don't have the time or patience to keep up with everything..." so I think he's more of a lurker over here, and even then, it's mostly on his Oiler page. Be interesting to know how many OB.com posters are kicking around on here.

It's going to be unbelievable to have major pro sports to talk about 12 months of the year. Kickass.

Old
06-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Lol -- banned by DF. Awesome. Yeah, this is the best board for hockey talk, IMO. I'm pretty sure Dave is kicking around here someplace, but he says "...there's too many threads with too many idiots to correct, and I just don't have the time or patience to keep up with everything..." so I think he's more of a lurker over here, and even then, it's mostly on his Oiler page. Be interesting to know how many OB.com posters are kicking around on here.

It's going to be unbelievable to have major pro sports to talk about 12 months of the year. Kickass.
I definitely have to brush up on my hockey game. This is for sure the only thread on this board where I'll feel semi-intelligent.

I've just been soaking it all in so far, especially with the draft on Friday. Perfect chance to get up to speed with all things NHL.

Old
06-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Noeller

Quote:
I definitely have to brush up on my hockey game. This is for sure the only thread on this board where I'll feel semi-intelligent.

I've just been soaking it all in so far, especially with the draft on Friday. Perfect chance to get up to speed with all things NHL.
Indeed. Again, I was never a huge Jets fan, but I'll always feel like a Manitoban, and the pride that comes with all our sports teams. Always gonna be lots of love for the home-province boys, and I'm just hoping I'll be able to watch the games out here without having to pay 30 bucks a month for NHL CentreIce :s

Old
06-22-2011, 09:19 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Anyone going to game tomorrow? I am, but dont know where i am sitting yet

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:40 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

I hope that this is a good season...finally, no more Stampeders talk when I used to live in Calgary.

EpochLink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:57 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Yikes. Zabransky is just as unproven as Joey Elliott. That's your suggestion for a veteran backup?
Zabransky has shown alot more than Elliot. I was hoping to grab Jackson if he got to FA but I like Zabranskys game.
Quote:
You have to be mistaking January for someone else. He's a very competent lineman.
Nope. Watching him for a full season was painful. He is just awful. I watched him literally spin a complete 360 while somebody ran around him two years ago, he is just terrible every game I've ever watched. He was personnally responsible for at least two tackles for a loss or sacks every game two years ago. Although I never want to see somebody get hurt, the o-line improved vastly last year just by having him on IR the whole season.

Quote:
The only teams who don't run two imports at the tackle spots are Montreal and Saskatchewan. Toronto may not either.

As for starting NI linebackers? Don't forget about Pottinger or Eiben.

Gonna have to bring your game better than that, my friend.
Ok looking at it Edmonton, Saskatchewan, Toronto, Montreal do not use two imports at tackle, Hamilton may not, and I am not sure who is going to start on the tackles in Calgary.

Pottinger is only in since he is NI, a wouldn't call him a starter by any means. Just meh at best. Eiben is a good one, though. We will see, hopefully Muamba can be an impact player as a starting NI LB but the odds are against it.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Bombers have a chance but they have left alot to chance this off-season by making only subtractions and going out on a limb at the draft. We will see.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:28 PM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Anyone going to game tomorrow? I am, but dont know where i am sitting yet
i will be there!

bigplay41* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Noeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
i will be there!
A few of us in Alberta, gathering around the 42" LG with a bottle of Gibson's (gotta support the sponsors...) to watch some HD CFL action. Go Blue!!

Old
06-23-2011, 01:11 AM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:

What exactly would Jared Zanbransky bring?? "Experience" is a word that people like to toss around liberally, but experience losing or experience not proving anything, doesn't do me any good. I would much rather have the guys that OUR management believes in and groom them with OUR coaches in OUR system. Picking up re-treads doesn't do you any good, and a guy like JZ, specifically, is not going to do anything as a fill-in that Joey Elliot or Alex Brink can't.

Fair enough, I guess I just like Zabransky's game better than the rest of them. Not overly concerned with this, just wish we had some more experienced backups.

Glenn January isn't a great OL, but he's also not horrible. C'mon, we had Jermese Jones, for goodness sake. You wanna talk about turnstile OL, that's where you start. By all accounts, January has been keeping up to Kelly Butler through camp and making it a very difficult decision. That says a lot to me, because I believe Butler is a gooder, too.

I do not understand how people respect this guy. Jermese Jones was better than this guy, nobody will change my mind on this, he is simply awful. Can't understand how people do not see that.

First off, almost all teams are using two import tackles now. BC, Calgary, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Toronto...just off the top of my head. It's an outdated mythology that you have to stack the OL with NI's because there aren't enough NI's that can play other positions well enough to fill out your Starting 7. Having guys like Muamba, who was a concensus #1 pick, btw, and DL like Donny Alphabet will be ratio breakers. It's just not necessary to have an All Canadian OL anymore. That was a long time ago. Also, Etienne/Poblah/Watson will help with the ratio, from the offensive side of the ball.

Muamba was NOT a concensus #1. He came out of nowhere in the last few weeks before the draft because rumour was Winnipeg liked him. Before that he was maybe middle of the first round. Scott Mitchell, Anthony Parker and Philip Blake were the names I kept hearing as potential #1's, then by the end everybody was agreed it would be Mitchell until like 2 weeks before the draft. And Etienne was not even rated in CFL scouting bureau final rankings. They swung for the fences in this draft. Let's hope they do not strike out. And btw, guys like Oramasionwu and Muamba are not ratio breakers right now since they are not starters. Logan, Brown, Watson, Poblah/Hargreaves, Khan, Labatte, Morley are the starters. Both have solid potential to be starters, but for now are not.

I agree -- Pierce finds a way to get injured every year, and I'm not foolish enough to think that BP is going to play 18+ games, but that's why I have faith in Joey Elliot, and, moreso, the talent around them. If BP plays 10-12 games through the regular season, we'll make playoffs pretty easily and then we'll worry about the rest when we get there.

I really really hope you are right.

Etienne was not drafted to start this year. He was drafted because he's going to have a long and productive career in the CFL. He's only 21 and only has one year of receiver under his belt. If the kid produces ANYTHING in his first year, it's total gravy. Perry Floyd might contribute on offense, but the question is how to work him onto the roster. Possible that he'll be a DI, but, again, that remains to be seen.

Again, I really think people under-rate JoLo on account of his injuries. When healthy, he's a dominant LB both in the run game and passing game. The only question is whether or not he can stay healthy, but I'm okay with whatever happens because of Rico McCoy, and Muamba could probably spell him off in a pinch. The OLB is going to be a treat to watch this year. Tons of speed and always around the ball.

The whole defense is going to built like that. Hefney, Beasley, Suber, Logan, Bowman, Kent, Johnson are all ball hawks that fly around making tackles and playing with passion. That is why I have faith in this team is the solid defense, specifically I love the secondary and OLB.

The defense is going to be great, no question, but the offense SHOULD be carrying the team. The sheer volume of talent that we have at Receiver and RB is the best we've had in many many years.

I'm an optimist, and see no sense in being negative for the sake of being negative. That said, I look up and down this roster and don't see how it's possible for us to be a poor team this year, even if BP goes down (...when...?) There's just too much talent at all positions, but we'll definitely know more once the bullets start flying on July 1.
Well we will see. This will be an interesting season that's for sure.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 02:17 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
i will be there!
I am sitting in section X

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:42 PM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
25min till kickoff and it's scorching hot out here!

bigplay41* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:12 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
Anyone watching the game?

Winnipeg Jets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:11 PM
Hammer Slammer
Browns

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
Anyone watching the game?
I would be, but my girlfriend took the TV when she got home and is watching some dumb show on TLC. So I'm keeping myself updated on the score on that Gametracker thing on the CFL website. Close enough.

Hammer Slammer is online now   Reply With Quote