HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Mock Draft

Old
06-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 080 View Post
That's a pretty solid list -- only Smith and Mitera stand-out to me as unknowns.

I get the feeling that Puempel and Grimaldi might be two players who fall far: injury-history and short-stature always seem to scare teams off.
As fans it is funny, how you do the research, you view the vids, you get attached to certain players and the chance of missing out on the one's you invested in will go to other teams. I feel this especially towards Klefbom, Mcneil, Biggs, Percy, and now Grimaldi.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:34 AM
shaner89

Grimaldi is so underrated on here. He is the most talented player in the draft. His size is not an issue, hes tougher and got more balls then half the guys over 6'ft.

Grimaldi at 25 would be incredible imo.

Size isnt an issue in the NHL anymore. Strength yes, which Grimaldi has, but size is dick all.

Small guys often draw alot more penalties too

shaner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:38 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
As fans it is funny, how you do the research, you view the vids, you get attached to certain players and the chance of missing out on the one's you invested in will go to other teams. I feel this especially towards Klefbom, Mcneil, Biggs, Percy, and now Grimaldi.
Agreed.

I dont think Grimaldi is the ideal Burke type player, or what he would be looking for specifically.

But the kid has top 10 talent. If he falls to 25 its a mistake not to take him simply because hes not the prototypical pwf.

And I COMPLETELY disagree with the poster who suggested Grimaldi is similar to Nathan Gerbe. Gerbe was a 5th round pick who was unimpressive with the USNTDP. Grimaldi was the best player on that team this year. He is WAY more Tyler Ennis than he is Gerbe. Grimaldi can be a top 6 player in the NHL with ease.

topched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Dayjobdave

I'm generally a 'bigger is better' guy when it comes to hockey players, but I love Grimaldi's game.

If he is there at 25 he would be a really intriguing pickup.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Agreed.

I dont think Grimaldi is the ideal Burke type player, or what he would be looking for specifically.

But the kid has top 10 talent. If he falls to 25 its a mistake not to take him simply because hes not the prototypical pwf.

And I COMPLETELY disagree with the poster who suggested Grimaldi is similar to Nathan Gerbe. Gerbe was a 5th round pick who was unimpressive with the USNTDP. Grimaldi was the best player on that team this year. He is WAY more Tyler Ennis than he is Gerbe. Grimaldi can be a top 6 player in the NHL with ease.
I'd put Grimaldi in the same boat as what we saw with Schroeder a few years back. At the time Schroeder was seen as a top talent but slipped because of size and was picked 22nd overall. I think we'll see Grimaldi picked around the same spot even thought this is a weaker class.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:57 AM
67Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
I'd put Grimaldi in the same boat as what we saw with Schroeder a few years back. At the time Schroeder was seen as a top talent but slipped because of size and was picked 22nd overall. I think we'll see Grimaldi picked around the same spot even thought this is a weaker class.
The Jordan Schroeder comparison is what is scary about Grimaldi. Schroeder was tremendously productive at a higher level, ie as a U of Minnesota freshman, compared to Grimaldi. He was even a little bigger. But I thought he was very unimpressive in the AHL this year and I have to wonder if he will ever be an NHL regular. I'm not saying the two players are the same. It's just a worry.

67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 10:00 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
I agree with you in terms of the way teams look at him in the draft. He will fall below where he likely should be taken because of his stature.

I wouldn't say that they're the same player though. Grimaldi is far tougher and stronger than Shroeder was. Shroeder was a streaky sniper who was knocked off the puck easily. That fear has translated into his pro game as he hasn't been able to muster too many scoring chances.

Grimaldi (5'6 163) already weighs as much as Shroeder did (5'9 168) during his draft. He also blew the doors open at the combine with his upper body strength and his vert. I think Grimaldi can be viewed as having a better shot at playing in the NHL.

Old
06-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cup View Post
The Jordan Schroeder comparison is what is scary about Grimaldi. Schroeder was tremendously productive at a higher level, ie as a U of Minnesota freshman, compared to Grimaldi. He was even a little bigger. But I thought he was very unimpressive in the AHL this year and I have to wonder if he will ever be an NHL regular. I'm not saying the two players are the same. It's just a worry.
Well, the way I see it, it's a late first round pick in a weak draft and we have the luxury of having two cracks in this round. Roll the dice. Take a chance.
Quote:
I agree with you in terms of the way teams look at him in the draft. He will fall below where he likely should be taken because of his stature.

I wouldn't say that they're the same player though. Grimaldi is far tougher and stronger than Shroeder was. Shroeder was a streaky sniper who was knocked off the puck easily. That fear has translated into his pro game as he hasn't been able to muster too many scoring chances.

Grimaldi (5'6 163) already weighs as much as Shroeder did (5'9 168) during his draft. He also blew the doors open at the combine with his upper body strength and his vert. I think Grimaldi can be viewed as having a better shot at playing in the NHL.
No they aren't the same player at all really. It just reminds me of what happened a few years ago. with Schroeder. Many GM's can't get past the size which is ridiculous to me especially when there's a number of guys in the NHL who play at a high level at a similar size. Personally, I don't buy into the whole size is everything garbage because there's plenty of players in the NHL who are huge but don't use their size. If Grimaldi is available it would be insane to pass on him.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Agreed.

Grimaldi reminds me of Brian Gionta as he is right now, that's a very good player, Gionta plays Chara heads up incredibly tough. From what I saw I see a lot of Rocco in Gionta. I agree he has a much bigger upside than Gerbe or Ennis. Until Bobby Mac's ratings came out I honestly didn't think we had a snowballs chance in drafting him now I must admit I will be most dissapointed if the Leafs don't get him. Agreed again, outside the top 8, I think he is the most impactful player in this draft.

Another thing I like about him is he wants to be a pastor once his hockey career is over, me thinks he and Reims will get a long really well.

Old
06-22-2011, 10:27 AM
TheNorthFace
RitchieEhlersMcCann

Quote:
Yeah but thats the issue at hand.

You can't be disappointed because we didn't end up with a player who was out of our range. I really like Gabriel Landeskog, am I supposed to be disappointed if we don't end up with him in this draft?

You can only do so much to move up in the draft. Trading into the top 5 in 09 was going to come with a hefty price tag. This year trading up may not be as easy as it was once speculated to be either.

My point is that you CANT be disappointed with the team's performance at the draft table because YOU allowed yourself to get caught up in the hype of trading up to get someone. You have to judge a draft and its outlook based on how the scouts selected with the picks that they were given.
Good post, agree with almost everything there.

TheNorthFace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
Are you serious?
Yeah I am serious. I believe he could be available at 39. I just rather see us draft Jensen if he's available. I will admit I'm biased towards bigger players because naturally they have a better chance to fight off defenders. I saw Grimaldi's video and yeah he is a feisty ********* but Jensen is around the same age but almost a foot taller at 6'3. Jensen in my opinion would be the safer pick. We can't screw this up. He also had 58 pts in 61 games in his first year in the OHL after coming over from Europe, pretty impressive. And also had 11 pts in 10 playoff games, Jensen is very versatile and in my opinion it would be a mistake to pass him up at 25. But see everyone has their opinion on players and that's whats so great about the draft. But no matter who we pick I'm confident in our scouting staff.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:02 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Yeah I am serious. I believe he could be available at 39. I just rather see us draft Jensen if he's available. I will admit I'm biased towards bigger players because naturally they have a better chance to fight off defenders. I saw Grimaldi's video and yeah he is a feisty ********* but Jensen is around the same age but almost a foot taller at 6'3. Jensen in my opinion would be the safer pick. We can't screw this up.
So is everyone in this draft?

Safe gets you nowhere in the NHL draft.

In the first round I want a guy with top 6 if not top 3 potential. Not a guy who is likely going to be a 3rd liner, with possible top 6 upside.

Go big or go home IMO.

Save the "safe" picks for subsequent rounds.

Old
06-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Stats01

Quote:
So is everyone in this draft?

Safe gets you nowhere in the NHL draft.

In the first round I want a guy with top 6 if not top 3 potential. Not a guy who is likely going to be a 3rd liner, with possible top 6 upside.

Go big or go home IMO.

Save the "safe" picks for subsequent rounds.
How is Jensen a possible 3rd liner? this guy has great skill and is a better bet to be a top 6 player than Grimaldi in my view. Like I said I would take the 6ft 3 186 pound guy over a 5ft6 player. Bigger frame, similar skill. So it's bigger over smaller for me.

Old
06-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

In my opinion the Leafs have to move up, we have to draft one of Klefbom, McNeil or Grimaldi or I will consider this a dissapointing draft, if all of these guys go say 22, 23, and 24 right in front of us, this would be disheartening. Not a time to play it safe, if we miss these guys, then we should move back in the draft. But knowing how accurate Bobby Mac's rankings are, we will be on the outside looking in on Klefbom, Mcneil or Grimaldi if we can't entice a deal just in front of us.

Old
06-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Stats01

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9VOK...eature=related

Nicklas Jensen coast to coast. Can't pass on him if he's available.

Old
06-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Beleafer4

If burke could trade the 30 +39th to move up into the low 20's, and draft 2 of Mcneil/Klefbom/Grimaldi/Jensen/Peumple, I would be stoked.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9VOK...eature=related

Nicklas Jensen coast to coast. Can't pass on him if he's available.
Reminds me a bit of Nick Backstrom with his skating and puck handling in that vid.

Gutless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 12:08 PM
DirtyDion03
Big Wheel

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
nathan gerbe 2 .......no thanks ill be soo disapointed if burke drafts the litte f cker
could buffalo get a 1st rounder for gerbe .....lmao
Rocco is way better then Gerbe imo. Rocco is all-around, and has a ton of heart. There's just something about Rocco that Gerbe didn't have. Rocco doesn't play to his size, I think Gerbe does.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
If burke could trade the 30 +39th to move up into the low 20's, and draft 2 of Mcneil/Klefbom/Grimaldi/Jensen/Peumple, I would be stoked.
Like to move up to #18 or #19, if #25 and #39 does this, then I would be for it. We would still have #30, and Burke did say he wanted to pick 2x in the 1st rd.